Hatteberg 1B
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Hamilton CF
Crosby RF
Ross C
Arroyo P

OK, folks, here's the lineup for Satan's Rays of Sunshine (at night)
Rocco Baldelli CF
Carl Crawford LF
Delmon Young RF
Ty Wigginton 1B
Jorge Cantu 2B
Akinori Iwamura 3B
Brendan Harris SS
Josh Paul C
Edwin Jackson P

Freel out again, but they say he's fine, should be able to play tomorrow

More interesting than that, though, was our meeting with Jerry Narron. When digging about the last roster spot, Narron said this:

"A lot is going to depend on if Grif can play. We don't know if he's going to be able to play. There's still one or two spots available, still open.

"If it's March 14 and a guy hasn't been able to play yet, at some point, you need some spring training. Hopefully he'll be well enough to play here in a couple of days."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Edited to add: Rays lineup

pedro
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
That sure doesn't bode well for Griffey playing a lot this season if you ask me.

At some point the dude's got to just consider hanging it up.

RedEye
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Nothing like having a sub-.300 lifetime OBP guy leading off the game...

dougdirt
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
That sure doesn't bode well for Griffey playing a lot this season if you ask me.

Yeah, missing a week or two to start the year is a sure fire sign that a guy wont play much in a season.
Look, I get the fact that Griffey has been hurt a lot, but I dont see how this injury somehow has any connection to his playing time he will get this season.

Redsland
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
"If it's March 14 and a guy hasn't been able to play yet, at some point, you need some spring training."
Why? Griffey has refused to rehab in Louisville in the past, under the theory that he doesn't need any ABs in AAA. So why would he need any in ST?

berryluther
03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

I agree. If things continue to prgress with Hamilton and he is an opening day starter we need to begin grooming a lead off hitter. By default it is probally going to be BP. Or Narron could pull a Booner and lead off Dunn lol.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree. If things continue to prgress with Hamilton and he is an opening day starter we need to begin grooming a lead off hitter. By default it is probally going to be BP. Or Narron could pull a Booner and lead off Dunn lol.

Freel should be healthy and ready to go.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM

It's spring training. Come on. He probably just wants him to get 2 AB's so Janish can get a couple.

coachw513
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM

And in June Roger Clemens will start throwing shutouts for the Yankees or Red Sox...we all are doomsdayers when thinking about Griffey's health...it's spring training...(In my best Iverson voice) "We're talking about spring training here...spring training?? :laugh:

I'm all for Griffey taking his time getting healthy...anyone who watched the Reds with any objective lens last year realizes the enormous impact STILL of Griffey in the lineup...surround him with Dunn, EE, Phillips and Hamilton?? and it's pretty formidable...without Griffey the lineup shouts "AVERAGE" imho...he's still the guy pitchers fear, that managers prepare for, even today at his advanced state...

We seem to want to blame him for getting hurt...and worse, we seem to want to blame him that the Reds PR/medical staff speaks in ways only discernable by FBI and CIA types...

I personally think at age 55 Griffey could drag his old body to the park and turn on a left-handers inside fastball with the most gorgeous swing ever seen in a ML park :thumbup:

pedro
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, missing a week or two to start the year is a sure fire sign that a guy wont play much in a season.
Look, I get the fact that Griffey has been hurt a lot, but I dont see how this injury somehow has any connection to his playing time he will get this season.

why? I'm as big a Griffey fan as anyone but if he can't even come to spring training with healthy legs what makes you think he'll be able to stay healthy once the daily grind starts?

I think it's a huge red flag and can't understand why anyone else wouldnt.

flyer85
03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

At some point the dude's got to just consider hanging it up.I would be happy if the Reds would EVER, just once, put a realistic timetable on his return from an injury. They always make it seem like they are hiding something when Jr gets hurt because they say things like day-to-day and it seems to turn out to be week-to-week.

coachw513
03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
why? I'm as big a Griffey fan as anyone but if he can't even come to spring training with healthy legs what makes you think he'll be able to stay healthy once the daily grind starts?

I think it's a huge red flag and can't understand why anyone else wouldnt.

Uh, well cause it's his hand not his legs :bang:

flyer85
03-14-2007, 02:36 PM

I think it's a huge red flag and can't understand why anyone else wouldnt.I would say the last 6 years are a huge red flag supported by a monumental fireworks display with a steaker running through the conflagration.

edabbs44
03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I would be happy if the Reds would EVER, just once, put a realistic timetable on his return from an injury. They always make it seem like they are hiding something when Jr gets hurt because they say things like day-to-day and it seems to turn out to be week-to-week.

Exactly. The shadier they are with his injuries, the more ridiculous they sound.

pedro
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Uh, well cause it's his hand not his legs :bang:

Actually it's both.

Narron was quoted as saying that Griffey can hit, he just can't run yet.

flyer85
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Actually it's both.

Narron was quoted as saying that Griffey can hit, he just can't run yet.... he couldn't run last year either. :D

guttle11
03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I would be happy if the Reds would EVER, just once, put a realistic timetable on his return from an injury. They always make it seem like they are hiding something when Jr gets hurt because they say things like day-to-day and it seems to turn out to be week-to-week.

With Griffey, it's more like step-to-step, or throw-to-throw.

TRF
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually it's both.

Narron was quoted as saying that Griffey can hit, he just can't run yet.

I thought that was an article from last year. Concerning the time in April when he went on the DL.

There has been no mention of his legs at all this spring.

pedro
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I just went back and found my source for Griffey having leg problems this spring and I think it may have been a quote from last spring so if it's just his hand then maybe there is some hope.

I sure hope his legs are healthy after having the entire offseason off.

membengal
03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I have arrived at a sanguine place re: Griffey and his return from injury. The presence of Josh Hamilton is helping a ton in that respect.

Kc61
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
If Griffey misses a couple of weeks in April, it could be a blessing in disguise. It will give Hamilton some time to get settled in, get regular at bats, and hopefully play well. If so, then Hammy eases in to a regular spot in the lineup, even when Griff comes back. If not, we learn something about Hamilton's readiness.

pedro
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I hope he's healthy. The lineup could surely use him.

membengal
03-14-2007, 02:54 PM
By the way, while we pretty much all agree that wins and losses don't matter in spring training, if the Reds were 1-12 (as tonite's opponent is), half of this site may still be smoldering from the ensuing fire...

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM

He is talking about the next couple of days. Should have nothing to do with the rest of the season. KGJ is a vet he's been through this before and knows there is no reason to rush and hurt it again. I for one hope he waits until he is 100% before going all out.

pedro
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
He is talking about the next couple of days. Should have nothing to do with the rest of the season. KGJ is a vet he's been through this before and knows there is no reason to rush and hurt it again. I for one hope he waits until he is 100% before going all out.

I was mistakenly (I hope) thinking he was having leg problems in addition to the hand problems.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I was mistakenly (I hope) thinking he was having leg problems in addition to the hand problems. Would it suprise anybody if it isn't just his hand that is hurt.

reds44
03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Griffey's response was, "I'll play when my hand is 100 percent ready."

Rocco Baldelli CF
Carl Crawford LF
Delmon Young RF
Ty Wigginton 1B
Jorge Cantu 2B
Akinori Iwamura 3B
Brendan Harris SS
Josh Paul C
Edwin Jackson P
Is this something to be concerned about? Those comments from Narron and Junior certainly didn't sound friendly.

oneupper
03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
If Griffey misses a couple of weeks in April, it could be a blessing in disguise. It will give Hamilton some time to get settled in, get regular at bats, and hopefully play well. If so, then Hammy eases in to a regular spot in the lineup, even when Griff comes back. If not, we learn something about Hamilton's readiness.

Last April the team did pretty well without Jr.

Mario-Rijo
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Last April the team did pretty well without Jr.

Granted it was a different team then but that is all I care about. How well the team does!

And perhaps a bit interested in some (ok all) of the players statistically.

CINCYREDS#1
03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
griffey is stalling because he doesnt want to play in right

reds44
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I really hope Steve Stewart finds some work on then this webquest. He does a solid job.

Game about to start.

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Whos broadcasting the game tonight?

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Whos broadcasting the game tonight?

Steve Stewart on webcast

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Steve Stewart on webcast

ah i see it has WHNZ also for the rays

reds44
03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Baldelli grounded out
Hot Carl Crawford tripled
Young fouled out
Wingington pops out

End of a half inning
0-0

jesusfan
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Is the game on GameDay?

reds44
03-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Nice AB by Seabass.

Rips the 3-2 pitch into the gap for a leadoff double.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Double for AGonz. It sounded like a good AB anyway. 8 pitches then a shot off the wall.

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Gameday its always slow though but heres the link...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2006/gd.html?2007_03_14_tbamlb_cinmlb_1&brand=mlb

redsmetz
03-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I really don't understand why on earth they don't have WLW broadcasting already. They care more for getting folks to subscribe to the web broadcasts than they do building fan interest. What a bunch of knuckleheads (MLB, that is). Thanks for doing the PBP.

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
I really don't understand why on earth they don't have WLW broadcasting already. They care more for getting folks to subscribe to the web broadcasts than they do building fan interest. What a bunch of knuckleheads (MLB, that is). Thanks for doing the PBP.

All about money... Or they would let the stations that are playing it right now stream it on their website ! Its just really sad how money is playing such a big part in such a great sport:bang: :angry:

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Bottom 1ST B:0 S:0 O:0
Alex Gonzalez doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Carl Crawford.

Bottom 1ST B:0 S:0 O:1
Scott Hatteberg grounds out, second baseman Jorge Cantu to first baseman Ty Wigginton. Alex Gonzalez to 3rd.

Bottom 1ST B:0 S:0 O:2
Brandon Phillips grounds out, shortstop Brendan Harris to first baseman Ty Wigginton. Alex Gonzalez scores.

Bottom 1ST B:0 S:0 O:3
Adam Dunn grounds out to first baseman Ty Wigginton.

1-0 Unstopables!

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Gameday is woefully behind the webcast. I can give you all quicker updates if you would prefer...

texasdave
03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Is the policy for broadcasting Spring Training games set by MLB or the individual ballclub? The reason I ask is because the Houston flagship station for the Astros broadcasts most of the ST games.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:27 PM
It's 1-0 middle of 2, Arroyo breezed through the top of the second.

EE leading off the Reds half of the second.

NatiRedGals
# Top 2: Cantu flies out to center. Guy beneath the press box screams "Catch it" -- Good advice there, chief. Good thing you shouted it, or Josh Hamilton just would have admired the beauty of a ball in flight. Iwamura grounds out to second. George Herman Ruth? Still dead. Peter Edward Rose? Still a liar. Harris 6-3. Reds 1, Devil Rays 0

Thanks C. Trent

NatiRedGals
Is the policy for broadcasting Spring Training games set by MLB or the individual ballclub? The reason I ask is because the Houston flagship station for the Astros broadcasts most of the ST games.

MLB

membengal
EE grounds out to SS.

One out, none on.

The Natural now up.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:28 PM
NatiRedGals, do you want the quicker updates?

The Natural just got another base hit, an infield hit up the middle.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Bubba C. robbed by a diving Rocco Baldelli for the second out.

David Ross up, two outs, Natural still on first.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
NatiRedGals, do you want the quicker updates?

Must remain calm....must remain calm...:cool:

:D

Hoosier Red
# Top 2: Cantu flies out to center. Guy beneath the press box screams "Catch it" -- Good advice there, chief. Good thing you shouted it, or Josh Hamilton just would have admired the beauty of a ball in flight. Iwamura grounds out to second. George Herman Ruth? Still dead. Peter Edward Rose? Still a liar. Harris 6-3. Reds 1, Devil Rays 0

Thanks C. Trent

Well that ought to make C. Trent popular with Reds fans.

membengal
Hamilton's latest hit, by the way, was apparently back up the middle, diving stop by Cantu, but no chance to get the speedy Roy Hobbs at 1b.

Ross grounds to 3b to end the inning.

1-0 end of 2.

Always Red
03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Dave Ross is struggling. I hope it's just early, still. I'd love for Ross to reproduce his numbers from last year.

Just for the record, Jason LaRue is hitting .333 and leads the Royals in HR's with 3. Plus, he was the Reds best defensive catcher last year.

just saying...

NatiRedGals
ok ill stop... all u...

membengal
C. Trent simply speaks the truth re: Mr. Rose. Sun rises in the east and all that...

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:34 PM
ok ill stop... all u...

Well, if you all want batter by batter updates, I can do that. If it's a waste of time, I have other things to do...

BubbaFan
It was a very good pick by Cantu. The Hammer was on his way to 2B, when he realized Cantu had made the catch, and had to turn back.

Hoosier Red
anybody else concerned about the length of Hamilton's hits?

His first one was 420 feet, now he's only getting infield hits.

By April he won't be able to hit the ball forward.:p:

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Still marveling over the Rays being 1-12 on the spring. That's hard to do, even with games that don't matter.

haylo2403
03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
batter by batter updates would be nice, dont know why anyone else isnt answering you

Ltlabner
Still marveling over the Rays being 1-12 on the spring. That's hard to do, even with games that don't matter.

Membengal, I know we've crossed swords before, but you have a knack for internet play by play. Kudos! You are very entertaining.

Always Red
C. Trent simply speaks the truth re: Mr. Rose. Sun rises in the east and all that...

from C Trent's blog:

# Top 1: Carl Crawford tripled with one out, but the Reds got out of that without a run scored. That's why the Devil Rays are 1-11 this spring. And can I mention that I don't think anything Pete Rose says should be a news story. We should treat it like a bomb threat -- not report it because it gives it credibility. The guy is a bigger liar than any politician. He's said iin the past that 1. he didn't bet. 2. he bet, but not on baseball. 3. he bet on baseball but not the Reds. 4. He bet on the Reds. 5. He bet on the Reds every night. He seems to go with whatever he feels is the line that will give him some public favor, where as all he does is confirm his standing as a liar. The man is a liar and nobody should believe him if he says, 'my name is Pete Rose.' Reds 0, Devil Rays 0

The man (C Trent, that is) speaks the truth!

GoReds
anybody else concerned about the length of Hamilton's hits?

His first one was 420 feet, now he's only getting infield hits.

By April he won't be able to hit the ball forward.:p:

Shoot, JH will just turn around and bat right-handed.

OnBaseMachine

Incredible.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Leadoff hitter for the Rays, Josh Paul, doubles into gap in rightcenter.

One on, none out.

Pitcher Edwin Jackson up.

VR
03-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Wonder what the dialogue is in the Cubs front office nowadays about Hamilton?

membengal
Edwin Jackson bunts, poorly. Ross comes up throwing to 3b, EE gets back to the bag to cover, lead runner cut down.

Ross apparently barely had to move to get to the horrific bunt in front of the plate.

One out, runner on first.

FlightRick
(....)

Unless somebody's got a particular attachment to that one "Sunglasses at Night" song from.... well, from whenever that was (a wee bit before my time, it was), then I vote for "Satan's Rays of Moonshine."

Additionally: I would like to be in a band called Satan's Rays of Moonshine. Drunk and Evil, baby, Drunk and Evil. Yet still vaguely cheery and upbeat about things.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Baldelli shoots one down third base line, EE apparently makes a sweet stab, they get the runner at 2b for the force.

Two outs, Baldelli now on first.

Carl Crawford (my fantasy baseball man-crush) up.

dougdirt
03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Wonder what the dialogue is in the Cubs front office nowadays about Hamilton?

Probably something like "hmm maybe we should have asked for more than $100,000 to make that pick for the Reds for that Hamilton kid.... we have an awful big payroll."

NatiRedGals
Edwin Jackson bunts, poorly. Ross comes up throwing to 3b, EE gets back to the bag to cover, lead runner cut down.

Ross apparently barely had to move to get to the horrific bunt in front of the plate.

One out, runner on first.

im not mad at ya lol i thank just stinks that theirs nothing better that can help with play by play its pretty sad u cant even listen to every game now or get a play by play

membengal
Ltl, thanks, I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to hear what's going on, don't mind helping where I can.

Haylo, glad to do it.

Crawford pops up, Arroyo cruising.

1-0 Reds, middle of three.

haylo2403
03-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I appreciate it

captainmorgan07
03-14-2007, 07:42 PM
sounds like arroyo rounding into season form

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:43 PM
well, natired, I will do the best I can to describe what Stewart is annoucing.

Arroyo up to start the third, followed by Alex G and Mr. Hatte. I note that Alex G's leadoff double is IN MY FACE (and many others) who worry about his OBP skillz in the leadoff slot.

Arroyo whiffs on three pitches. Edwin Jackson being mean.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Alex G now underscores concern over batting first, swings at first pitch he sees in that at-bat, pops up.

Two outs, none on.

Red Hot Mama, owner of a fine Reds blog in her own right, just got an e-mail read at length by Stewart.

Mr. Hatte up.

NatiRedGals
03-14-2007, 07:45 PM
well, natired, I will do the best I can to describe what Stewart is annoucing.

Arroyo up to start the third, followed by Alex G and Mr. Hatte. I note that Alex G's leadoff double is IN MY FACE (and many others) who worry about his OBP skillz in the leadoff slot.

Arroyo whiffs on three pitches. Edwin Jackson being mean.

Thanks i dont mind i just hate how big a part money plays in this sport i always remember my dad telling me he just loved to sit back and listen even during spring training but thanks to money thats immpossible

reds44
Top 2: Cantu flies out to center. Guy beneath the press box screams "Catch it" -- Good advice there, chief. Good thing you shouted it, or Josh Hamilton just would have admired the beauty of a ball in flight
That's halarious.

membengal
Mr. Hatte, or "Scott" as Stewart just called him (poker bud, Stewart?) pops up.

One-time phenom Edwin Jackson having a pleasant first three innings against the men of Red.

After three, 1-0, Reds.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Delmon Young leading off for Rays. Insert your own tossed-bat joke here as appropriate.

Manos de Oro in at SS for the men of Red now, as Alex G gets a head start on his evening.

Some guy is clearly hollering "THROW YOUR BAT" "THROW YOUR BAT" at Young. If Young hits that guy, I would be OK with it.

Young Ks.

No bats are thrown.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
By the way, Homer Bailey, trying to improve on that 26.78 ERA will pitch tonight.

Saarloos pitching the day split squad game tomorrow (no webcast for that), Livingston pitching the evening split game tomorrow.

Now that I think about it, with the NCAA tourney in full swing, Stewart may be webcasting the evening game in a vacuum.

Grounder retires second batter. Arroyo still cruising. Two outs.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Cantu grounds to EE, strong throw erases the offending Ray.

1-0 Reds, middle of four.

I am guessing another inning for Arroyo, no problem, at this point.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
New pitcher for the Rays in...hopefully Stewart will say in a moment who that be.

In honor of Stewart calling Mr. Hatte "Scott" in his last at-bat, I may start calling him "Steve" the rest of the night. Like we are longtime pals.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
JP Howell the Ray pitcher. Brandon Phillips up for the men of Red.

Howell is a lefty. Such trifles have not bothered the Natural this spring, due up fourth this inning.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Phillips collects an infield single up the middle, on first.

Former Red from "THE TRADE" Harris in for Rays, by the way. He may have been in all along, but I just now noticing his presence in the game.

One on, none out. Dunner up, apparently Rays have the Dunn shift on.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Brandon Phillips gets picked off...

BUT, Rays botch throw from 1b to 2b, and Phillips slides in safely. A stolen base the hard way.

captainmorgan07
03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
that's why there 1-12

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Howell is into "hot yoga" according to my new pal "Steve". I don't know what that is, Steve.

Wait, it's Bikram Yoga. And "Steve" talking about the process. Something about flexibility, stress, etc. I achieve that through more usual methods. Like heavy drinking, but, hey, whatever works.

Dunner still working through the at-bat.

membengal
03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Dunn grounds out...

BUT...

...it's a scrappy ground out to the right side, and Phillips moves up to 3b.

"Steve" talking with someone about this "hot yoga". Frankly, I am missing Marty and his tomatoes at this point.

Infield in, EE up, man on third and one out.

They are now talking about losing "water weight". Would that I were making this up.

robmadden1
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
i just read on a forum about gameday audio that more then one person can use the same username and password to listen

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:00 PM
EE doubles machine

membengal
The "hot yoga" guy on the mic with "Steve" is part of the Reds' media relations group. He is "very excited" about the team. Good to know, "hot yoga" guy.

EE lines a hit to LF, runner home.

EE at 1b, one out. 2-0 Reds.

The Natural up against the lefty.

Ltlabner
"Steve" talking with someone about this "hot yoga". Frankly, I am missing Marty and his tomatoes at this point. .

What in the hell is the Bad Boy talking about? hahahahah Yoga?!?!?

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
EE doubles machine
"Whoops"

That was a single

vaticanplum
Great pbp membengal, really enjoy it.

membengal
Steve's webcast just got shaky on my feed, hope it doesn't go out.

Wild pitch moves EE to 2b.

Two ball, one strike count on The Natural.

KronoRed
03-14-2007, 08:02 PM
"Whoops"

That was a single

Only because he decided to hold it to a single.

Saving his doubles for the real games ;)

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:02 PM
BOOOOOOO

He makes an out.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
The Natural runs count to 3-1, then ground out...

...BUT

...it's a scrappy groundout to the right side of the infield, moving runner to 3b.

Then again, since it was the second out of the inning, it's less scrappy than Dunn's groundout. Here is where I have nightmare flashbacks to that year that Joe Morgan was doing the color commentary for Reds TV back in the 80s when he would talk about all the ways to score from 3b with two outs. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from that.

Bubba C up, two outs, runner on third.

GSURedsfan
03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Only because he decided to hold it to a single.

Saving his doubles for the real games ;)

Who does he think he is? Chuck Norris? :lol:

Brent

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:05 PM
No problem on pbp, vatican, the family has abandoned me to get away for spring break, and, since I cannot leave work, I am bachelor for a few days, and can while (wile?) away a few hours on the computer guilt free tonight.

Bubba C grounds out on a check swing.

2-0 Reds end of fourth inning.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Re: Belisle's wanting to start for the Reds from that other thread on RedsLive forum, I want that for him too. I really do.

The human statue, Mark Bellhorn, in at 2b. Norris Hopper in LF, Crosby moves over to RF, Dunn out of game. Think Natural is still in.

On that Tampa 1-12 record, that would be 11 losses in a row to get to that point. That is REALLY hard to do.

Arroyo still in, the human statue gets to a ground ball, one out.

TeamBoone
03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
OK, I'm confused. They were in the fourth inning at the time of the post previous to mine? I thought this game started at 7:00.

It's now 8:00 and no PBP since 7... is there nothing available?

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
General observation, if Bellhorn had been on the team last year, and played a game at 2b with Royce Clayton at SS, well, that would have been less than good. Horrible even.

Gosh I'm glad Clayton is plying his trade elsewhere. I still don't know what the Blue Jays are thinking. The shine is WAY off JP Ricciardi at this point.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
EE gets to a ground out, two outs, Arroyo still rolling.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
OK, I'm confused. They were in the fourth inning at the time of the post previous to mine? I thought this game started at 7:00.

It's now 8:00 and no PBP since 7... is there nothing available?

TeamBoone, it is 7:10 cst where I am, I am listening to the webcast live, and it has been on since 6:05 cst here in Memphis.

Arroyo Ks Josh Paul, absolutely owns the horrific Rays tonite.

2-0 Reds heading into the bottom of the fifth.

edabbs44
03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Dunn grounds out...

BUT...

...it's a scrappy ground out to the right side, and Phillips moves up to 3b.

Infield in, EE up, man on third and one out.

Wow...Dunn's non-K helped the Reds score a run. Who'da thunk it?

:D

TeamBoone
03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
TeamBoone, itis 7:10 cst where I am, I am listening to the webcast live, and it has been on since 6:05 cst here in Memphis.

I understand that you're in a different time zone than the game; I was going by the time of the post. I believe the board "broadcasts" Eastern time?

Sorry, it's really not important... just confusing. Oh! Maybe the board hasn't caught up to DST yet. I never thought of that.

TOBTTReds
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I understand that you're in a different time zone than the game; I was going by the time of the post. I believe the board "broadcasts" Eastern time?

Sorry, it's really not important... just confusing. Oh! Maybe the board hasn't caught up to DST yet. I never thought of that.

Correct. The board's time is still an hour behind.

reds44
Grandpa Jeff is in.

Arroyo went 5 scoreless.

membengal
By the way, it was apparently a VERY windy day in Florida today, but no wind issues tonite.

I would guess Arroyo is done after a superb outing. Adjust your fantasy baseball pitcher's rankings accordingly.

The "hot yoga" guy from media relations still on the mic with "Steve".

David "mirage" Ross pops up on first pitch he sees.

One out, none on.

Jeff Conine pinch-hitting for Arroyo. "Steve" just called him "Niner". Apparently they are all buds of Bad Boy. Hella informal.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
"Niner" still battling...

as only "Niner" can...

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM

I think my time on my machine is set in Greenland or some such, and never makes sense. Sorry for my obtuseness.

"Niner" no longer toils, flying out to LF.

Two outs, none on.

Manos de Oro up for the first time tonite.

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow................

The D-Rays fans don't like Juan Castro.

Dracodave
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow................

Who does?

texasdave
Let's see......south Florida...last name Castro.....I can't imagine why anyone would be booing. :)

membengal
"Steve" notes that in last eight starts, Reds starters have a 3.42 ERA. Which is stout, spring or no.

Manos de Oro shows up ump, taking a step to first on a 3-1 pitch, ump yanks him back to the batters box.

Turns out, ump did Manos de Oro a favor, as de Oro doubes on the next pitch.

Two outs, de Oro on second, Mr. Hatte up.

GSURedsfan
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Let's see......south Florida...last name Castro.....I can't imagine why anyone would be booing. :)

LMAO....

pedro
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Nice to see Arroyo doing well as they start to stretch him out. 2 hits and no walks over 5 is good stuff.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Wow................

To clarify, they are NOT booing de Oro, apparently the pitcher's slot isn't participating in some sort of "batter bingo" the crowd is doing tonite, and they have booed each time the pitcher's slot has come and gone without an Bingo number being called out.

It's all very confusing. I would presume it makes more sense if you are actually at the game and playing "batter bingo".

Mr. Hatte now grumpy at the ump. Apparently Mr. Ump wants to get his drink on as early as possible tonite.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Mr. Hatte Ks on a check swing. Ump likely pleased.

2-0 Reds after five innings.

texasdave
03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Batter bingo was gonna be my next guess...

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
To clarify, they are NOT booing de Oro, apparently the pitcher's slot isn't participating in some sort of "batter bingo" the crowd is doing tonite, and they have booed each time the pitcher's slot has come and gone without an Bingo number being called out.

Batter Bingo.

Hot Yoga.

An open mic between innings with a drunk singing YMCA.

It's all very sureal.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Nice to see Arroyo doing well as they start to stretch him out. 2 hits and no walks over 5 is good stuff.

No question about that. Add in Harang's nite last night, and a good two days for the horses at the top of the Reds' rotation.

There is a presumably well lubricated with drink fan screaming along with the obligatory YMCA muscial interlude.

Well, I gotta tell ya, not good. Not. good. at. all. Makes me miss commercial breaks.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Stormy now in the game, trying to match Arroyo's pace.

Joey Votto in at 1b. The Natural indeed still in CF, by the way.

Weathers presumably in for just one inning.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Tonite is The Natural's daughter's birthday, she is six. Happy birthday to Julia Hamilton. We are all falling hard for your Dad, child, and wishing him all the best.

Stormy just got taken deep, his second HR allowed on the spring.

Rocco Baldelli takes the happy tour for Rays people.

2-1 Reds.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it's the same guy from the YMCA singing and Delmon Young heckling, and he is letting loose some ferocious boos directed at Stormy.

I had missed an out earlier, apparently, sorry about that. Grounder retires Carl Crawford.

Two outs, none on. Delmon Young up.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Apparently the same fan who likes to sing YMCA between innings likes to yell "BOOOooo Weathers" loud enough to be picked up on the mic feed.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Young flies to Bubba C.

Third out.

Heading to the bottom of the sixth, 2-1 Reds.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:30 PM
The Dave Matthews Band's "Ants Go Marching" apparently too hard for loud drunk guy to sing to during that warm-up. I am not sad about this.

Bellhorn leading off the bottom of the sixth for the Reds.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Bellhorn draws a walk to lead off the sixth.

blumj
03-14-2007, 08:32 PM

That's BBellhorn.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Norris Hopper up, showing bunt.

AAA Louisville should have a real competitive team in 2007. No reason to think otherwise at this point.

Hopper doesn't bunt, grounds to second, looks like DP, but Hopper's speed gets him to first ahead of the return throw.

EE up, one out, one on.

GSURedsfan
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Bout the first thing he's done right all spring....

Brent

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Somewhere on this earth, EE's #1 fan, Reds44 sits a little straighter in this at-bat, yearning for more success for EE...

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Somewhere on this earth, EE's #1 fan, Reds44 sits a little straighter in this at-bat, yearning for more success for EE...

Reds44 likes EE? Really? When did this happen? :)

membengal
EE chops the ball to second, Hopper runs into Cantu, Hopper is down...

...now limping off the field, out for interference.

membengal
EE now at 1b, two outs, The Natural up...

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
The Natural grounds out to 1b on an 0-1 pitch.

Now 1 for 3 on the night.

Hamilton doubters now rush at argue that this is his inevitable decline, as if anyone expects him to bat .571 all spring...

At any rate, three outs.

End of 6, 2-1 Reds.

Dracodave
03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
EE chops the ball to second, Hopper runs into Cantu, Hopper is down...

...now limping off the field, out for interference.

Does this mean Deno might get a fair chance???

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Dunno Dracodave, isn't Deno leading the Reds in at-bats this spring? His fate is probably sealed by the Reds' insistence that Conine is a corner OF option. And the old get-him-at-bats-in-AAA stuff...

Chicago's "Old Days" playing through warm-ups, drunk guy NOT liking that one either. Apparently YMCA is his speed.

Homer Bailey in for the men of Red. Ty Wigginton up for Tampa.

GSURedsfan
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM

Probably not, The Natural is still doing well.

Brent

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Bailey gets first strike on Wigginton, then hits him with the second pitch.

Old man Hal McCoy in the booth with "Steve".

Bailey consulting a map for the location of the plate...

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Next batter takes a ball, then grounds into a 5-4-3 double play, with the Gil person starting it with a diving stop and still turning it over.

The Gil person has grown on me this spring...

Hopper still in the game, so he must be OK.

Deno now in the game in CF for The Natural...

edabbs44
03-14-2007, 08:43 PM

So you're saying there's a chance?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n150/rmolledo/Dumb-Dumber--C10114302.jpg

Ltlabner
Bailey consulting a map for the location of the plate...

How can this be? He's ready to be the #3 isn't he? :evil:

redsmetz
Next batter takes a ball, then grounds into a 5-4-3 double play, with the Gil person starting it with a diving stop and still turning it over.

Hopper still in the game, so he must be OK.

Deno now in the game in CF for The Natural...

We've got a lot these guys on our team this spring, growing on us. Roster paring is going to be very tough.

Ltlabner

Would be an interesting addition to the bench no?

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
McCoy talked with Arroyo after his five innings, says he "felt great". Given the results, not surprising he would feel that way.

Only threw 60 pitches.

Hal now touching on the Jr. "when will he be ready" stuff from today.

Bailey Ks next guy, ends inning.

2-1 Reds middle of the seventh.

Join me if you will, for some Take Me Out singing...

Eric_Davis
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Why? Griffey has refused to rehab in Louisville in the past, under the theory that he doesn't need any ABs in AAA. So why would he need any in ST?

He needs to practice in RF.

Eric_Davis
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
So you're saying there's a chance?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n150/rmolledo/Dumb-Dumber--C10114302.jpg

Thanks for making me laugh today. :laugh:

Falls City Beer
03-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Bailey Ks next guy, ends inning.

Bailey to the pen. Say it with me.

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Reds44 likes EE? Really? When did this happen? :)
I've developed a liking for him lately. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. ;)

:laugh:

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Would be an interesting addition to the bench no?

With his arm and ability to play IF and OF, seems like it. Then again, his minor league stats show an alarming allergy to getting on base consistently. Still, at 24, sometimes growth comes unexpectedly. I would take him on the team before Bellhorn at this point, I think.

Hal ended his stint by noting there is "still swelling" with Jr.'s wrist after he swings.

That sounds less than good, no?

Nice inning from Homer in terms of recovering after hitting the first guy...

dougdirt
03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Bailey to the pen. Say it with me.

Not a chance.

Falls City Beer
03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Not a chance.

Shame. Just might be the thing to put the swagger in his step at the MLB level.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Bubba C leading off, Deno, then unknown hitter this inning.

"Steve" still hoping to talk to Marc Lancaster.

Bubba C breaks bat, grounds out.

I wonder if "Steve" will ask Marc if he will ever cover a team that will win another game again?

(That probably will suffice to jinx the Reds into a loss tonite...)

reds44
03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
With his arm and ability to play IF and OF, seems like it. Then again, his minor league stats show an alarming allergy to getting on base consistently. Still, at 24, sometimes growth comes unexpectedly. I would take him on the team before Bellhorn at this point, I think.

Hal ended his stint by noting there is "still swelling" with Jr.'s wrist after he swings.

That sounds less than good, no?

Nice inning from Homer in terms of recovering after hitting the first guy...
I thought he broke his hand, not his wrist?

TexRed
03-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Appreciate the PBP updates. Tomorrow, I'm heading east for 5 days of baseball.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Deno grounds to 2b. For some reason, Cantu has temerity to field it and throw Deno out. Later, I am sure, he will be punished for that transgression. No one throws out Deno.

Two outs, none on.

Joey Votto up.

Seven walks for him this spring. Major league leader in that category is Manny Ramirez with nine, I believe. Chew on THAT, for a moment...

Nugget
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I thought he broke his hand, not his wrist?

Most of the bones in the hand connect to the wrist and no matter what bone you break the main tendon you use is in the wrist. Most of the time that's where you get the pain after a break. Breaking your wrist is bad but breaking the hand ain't much better.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
More talk about "hot yoga".

Votto soft line out.

2-1 Reds still hold to lead after seven innings.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
By the way, it's NOT Back-rum Yoga.

It's pronouced Bick-rum Yoga.

To you an me, we call it 'Hot Yoga'.

Love,

The Bad Boy.

dougdirt
03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Joey Votto is a stud, regardless of his soft line out.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
GnR "Sweet Child of Mine" taking the crowd to the top of the 8th, when I was in high school and that album hit, I never thought it would ever feel classic-rocky. Ooops. Weird to get old(er).

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Brendan Harris, still in the game, leads off for Tampa.

Brian Shackleford in the game for the men of Red, as the Reds sagely get Bailey out with a good inning to build on under his belt...

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
2 runs 5 hits for the Reds.

1 run 3 hits for the Rays.

Shackleford gotta be ticketed for L'ville, no matter what at this point, no? No real room for him at the inn.

Shackleford walks Harris to start the inning. THAT ain't gonna help.

One on, none out.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
For more info on the raging Hot Yoga vs. Bikram Yoga controversy click here (http://yoga.about.com/od/bikramyogahotyoga/a/bikram.htm).

You will thank me later.

Or something.

membengal
03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Shackleford grinding the pace of this game to a halt, Josh Paul up, lots of pitches being thrown...

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Shackleford grinding the pace of this game to a halt, Josh Paul up, lots of pitches being thrown...

Do you think Josh appreciates all the advice Drunk Guy is yelling his way?

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Josh Paul still battling,

lots of people e-mailing "Steve",

Paul finally succumbs to Shackleford, one out, one on.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Do you think Josh appreciates all the advice Drunk Guy is yelling his way?

I am guessing not. I don't think anyone is.

How much you wanna wager that someone with that guy thinks he's "hysterical" and is egging him on, while everyone else wishes a hole would swallow him up?

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:02 PM
"Steve" agrees that Natural will not be able to maintain a .571 pace. We are all on that same page, "Steve".

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Shackleford still working too deep into counts, gets some help from the ump who still wants to get home, avoids a walk, induces a hard liner to left.

Two outs, Harris still on first.

Rocco Baldelli up. He homered off of Stormy for Tampa's only run on the night.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Steve likes the name "Rocco" a lot.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
At www.roccobaldelli.com you can get autographed "Rocco" stuff, all proceeds going to "Rocco" authorized charity.

"Rocco" flies out.

2-1 Reds, heading to the bottom of the 8th.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
A fireworks "extravaganza" planned for Ed Smith Stadium tomorrow night. If I were in Sarasota, I don't think there would be extravagant enough fireworks to hold me at the stadium while the late NCAA games are unfolding.

Manos de Oro leading off for Cincy in the bottom of the 8th...

rotnoid
03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Steve likes the name "Rocco" a lot.

Who doesn't? Think we can mix together a group of pitchers to make a run at Baldelli? I know it was rumored earlier in the spring, maybe still an option, but probably less necessary with the emergence of Hamilton.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
de Oro doubled in his previous at-bat, grounds out there.

One out, none on. Batter bingo still in full swing.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Who doesn't? Think we can mix together a group of pitchers to make a run at Baldelli? I know it was rumored earlier in the spring, maybe still an option, but probably less necessary with the emergence of Hamilton.

I just don't see OF being a need on this team at this point, at least not enough to send Tampa anything approaching decent pitching, which is what it would take to get "Rocco". Reds need all the pitching they can get.

The Gil person Ks, two outs.

G-51 in batter bingo just called.

Drunk guy just said "Who-dey". "Who-dey" back at you, buddy.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I believe a third Reds out was recorded, but "Steve" didn't announce it.

Assuming it was a third Reds out, 2-1 Reds heading into the ninth.

Brad Salmon will be in to try and close it out.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Who-dey indeed.

"Steve" apparently starting to notice the drunk guy in the background.

rotnoid
03-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Long distance Who-Dey reply, I like it.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Now drunk guy and friends are screaming for fireworks and free beer.

Huey Louis blaring in the back ground.

Good stuff.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Drunk Guy is irate that the fireworks are not tonite.

Salmon was awful in his last appearance, needs to get better fast to make this club.

Carl Crawford still in, grounds out.

One out, none on.

Drunk Guy is now leading a "Throw Your Bat" chant. If Drunk Guy gets hit with a bat from Young, I will help cover Young's ensuing fine...

rotnoid
I'm generally a fan of "drunk guys" as long as their in the next section over. That way I can enjoy their antics, but they don't disturb my kids.

medford
A fireworks "extravaganza" planned for Ed Smith Stadium tomorrow night. If I were in Sarasota, I don't think there would be extravagant enough fireworks to hold me at the stadium while the late NCAA games are unfolding.

Manos de Oro leading off for Cincy in the bottom of the 8th...

I'm guessing that you're right. However, the Siesta Key July 4th fireworks are better than the labor day fireworks in Cincy. Sarasota actually launches their show on the 4th prior to Siesta Keys. However you can easily watch both from the beach. If it wasn't so hot that time of year, I'd make that trip more often.

pedro
03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
We're getting the drink-by-drink replay now.

membengal
I hear high-pitched laughter, confirming my suspicion that Drunk Guy is being egged on. Frankly, I blame Enabling Chick for inflicting Drunk Guy on the crowd, as he appears to be trying to gain her favor.

Young Ks.

Two quick outs for Salmon. Rays down to last out.

Ltlabner
Drunk guy exploding in a frenzy of beer fuled mayhem! I'm sure the folks sitting in the row in front of them are thrilled.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Wigginton flies to right center, Deno all over it, Rays out.

Reds win.

2-1.

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
This is Hot Yoga...

http://www.hotspotyoga.com/images/bikramstand2.jpg

This is Hot Tuna....

http://www.jcrmusicnews.com/dataimg/tuna.jpg

All of which is totally different than Bickram Yoga. Which looks very uncomfortable...

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/07.27.05/gifs/bikram-0530-3.jpg

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
That's 12 losses in a row for the Rays folks. And, interesting note on the 1 run on 3 hits that the Rays were shut down with, they played a lot of their core the whole game. Baldelli, Crawford and Young all played the whole way. I think they wanted to hit a bit in this one. And didn't come close.

Arroyo the win. Salmon the save.

Have a good nite folks.

membengal
03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Ltl, that's a fantastic synopsis. For those confused, go back and read the thread from the beginning...

Ltlabner
03-14-2007, 09:18 PM
My hotel room seems so quiet without the soothing sounds of baseball, the Bad Boy and "Drunk Guy" and friends streaming over the internet.

:(

Strikes Out Looking
03-14-2007, 09:18 PM
For those of you in the D.C. area, MASN is playing game 1 of the 1970 WS.

It is the Canadian feed--they interrupted it to report on a Canadian kidnapping. fascinating.

KronoRed
03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Drunk guy really made this a good game thread :lol:

Falls City Beer
03-14-2007, 09:25 PM
My hotel room seems so quiet without the soothing sounds of baseball, the Bad Boy and "Drunk Guy" and friends streaming over the internet.

:(

You could be your own "drunk guy" in your hotel room. It makes the pink elephants come out. They're awesome company.

redsmetz
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Membengal, kudos again - We're going to have to find an PBP award for you, Spring Training version. I laughed my head off when you said you'd help pay Young's fine if he threw his bat at the drunk guy.

MaineRed
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Call me stupid, but who is Steve?

OnBaseMachine
03-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Call me stupid, but who is Steve?

Steve Stewart.

MaineRed
03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to bring this back to the top but I thought Steve Stewart was all done?

Again, feel free to call me stupid.

membengal
03-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Maine, he's calling the Reds' webcasts of spring training games only. Seven games.

I called him "Steve" throughout my write-up of the PBP as an inside joke after he called Hatteberg "Scott" during one of Mr. Hatte's early at-bats.

Ltlabner
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Again, feel free to call me stupid.

Is this a trick question? :dunno:

Was nice to hear Steve's voice again althought it confirmed what I thought about him (especially after hearing a few games by Brantly and Thom). Very nice man, competant play by play, but mostly dull and vanilla.

MaineRed
03-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys. I pretty much figured it was Stewart but I could of sworn he wasn't with the Reds anymore. Hence the confusion.