PDA

View Full Version : Moeller Downs Newark

traderumor
03-17-2007, 11:35 PM
My hometown team had Moeller on the ropes with a trip to Value City Arena on the line, ahead 23-13 midway through the third quarter. The Crusaders call timeout, slap on a press, make a few shots, and won going away, 55-44 to win the berth in the Division 1 Final Four. Moeller finished strong, but the game was very hard fought with both teams showing great inside play on defense.

The Newark Wildcats suffered just their second loss of the season after upending previously unbeaten Columbus Northland in the Regional semis. Newark won their record 21st Central District title along the way.

justincredible
03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm originally from the Newark area (went to Licking Valley). I had yet to see any other Licking Countians on here so far.

Roy Tucker
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
It's possible for there to be an all-GCL Div. 1 state final. Moeller and St. X are in opposite semis.

dabvu2498
03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
It's possible for there to be an all-GCL Div. 1 state final. Moeller and St. X are in opposite semis.

I can remember 15 years ago or so, an all-GMC final between Lakota and Lima.

Sweet memories of Greg Simpson throwing it off the backboard to himself. He was sick.

HotCorner
03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I can remember 15 years ago or so, an all-GMC final between Lakota and Lima.

Sweet memories of Greg Simpson throwing it off the backboard to himself. He was sick.

I remember that game quite fondly since I was a senior at Lakota that year ('92). Lakota trailed by double-digits but came back to tie it and sent it to OT where they eventually won. :thumbup:

Unassisted
03-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm originally from the Newark area (went to Licking Valley). I had yet to see any other Licking Countians on here so far.

Now you've seen two. I grew up in Heath and graduated from that other high school in Newark with the green-and-white uniforms. I like seeing Licking County teams go deep into the playoffs in any sport. :cool:

I was in high school a little bit before the Mike Giomi era, which IIRC is the last time the Wildcats were a boys basketball powerhouse.

justincredible
03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Now you've seen two. I grew up in Heath and graduated from that high school in Newark with the green-and-white uniforms. :cool:

:mooner:

;)

Might be joining you in Texas here in a few months. The girlfriend is in the process of finding herself a job and Houston is one of the possible places she could go.

Unassisted
03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Might be joining you in Texas here in a few months. The girlfriend is in the process of finding herself a job and Houston is one of the possible places she could go.

Hope you like big city traffic if you end up in Houston. There's a little more traffic there than you're used to traveling between Hangover and Newark. ;)

justincredible
03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Hope you like big city traffic if you end up in Houston. There's a little more traffic there than you're used to traveling between Hangover and Newark. ;)

I've lived just North of Indy for the past 9 months so I have gotten used to more traffic than Toboso, Hangover, and Newark can offer. :D

I told her Houston would be one of my top places to go since she doesn't want to go back home to Cincinnati anymore. I figure if we ended up in Houston it would be the next best place for seeing the Reds throughout the season. She thinks she has to go someplace warm so the rest of the NL Central is out.

traderumor
03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Now you've seen two. I grew up in Heath and graduated from that other high school in Newark with the green-and-white uniforms. I like seeing Licking County teams go deep into the playoffs in any sport. :cool:

I was in high school a little bit before the Mike Giomi era, which IIRC is the last time the Wildcats were a boys basketball powerhouse.

Yes, you have just a few years on me. I was talking about that on my way over to the game. I was a sophomore/junior during those times. They also had a really good run in the early 90s with Bobby Sellers and 3 straight districts, but they always lost the regional semifinal game. This year was the first time Newark played Newark basketball in years. The starting 5, 2 sophomores and a junior, so there may a few more deep runs coming up.

Reds Freak
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Good luck to the Crusaders from this Moeller grad. Coach Kramer does a tremendous job with his team every year and I look forward to seeing them this weekend..

If anyone follows high school basketball in Ohio, this is a star studded state tournament this weekend. Off the top of my head these players will be playing for a state championship:

Jon Diebler of Upper Sandusky (all time leading scorer in Ohio history, committed to Ohio State)
Kosta Koufos of GlenOak (7'2 Ohio State recruit)
Clark Kellogg's sons Alex and Nick of St. Francis DeSales
Troy Tabler of Moeller, son of Pat Tabler
Delvon Roe of St. Edwards, I believe either attending Michigan State or North Carolina

I know I am missing some other big time players. It should be a fun weekend.