Placido Polanco 2B
Ivan Rodriguez C
Gary Sheffield LF
Magglio Ordonez RF
Sean Casey 1B
Craig Monroe DH
Neifi Perez 3B
Ramon Santiago SS

Pitchers are Bronson Arroyo for the Redlegs and Kenny Rogers for the Tigers.

I wish the regular season would hurry up and get here already...

oneupper
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
I have the uneasy feeling that Phillips may actually be batting 3rd when the season starts (if Jr's not around).

Chip R
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Oh, great. You started the game thread again. Now we'll probably have another rainout. ;)

Strikes Out Looking
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I have the uneasy feeling that Phillips may actually be batting 3rd when the season starts (if Jr's not around).

Who is this Jr. fellow you speak of?

BRM
03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Denorfia doesn't seem to be logging much time in CF this spring.

IamWallaman
03-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh, great. You started the game thread again. Now we'll probably have another rainout. ;)

You're right. I forgot to save it for Milton. :rolleyes: :p:

registerthis
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Talk about a getaway day special.

BRM
03-19-2007, 11:50 AM

There's five regulars in the lineup, six if you count Conine.

IamWallaman
03-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Nix Wise for Hamilton and I'm cool with it.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Does seem odd that one of three fighting for the CF job has barely played there in the spring. I would have to guess that on defense and throwing arm alone the team likes the idea of Hamilton starting in CF. The fact that he could put up huge numbers at the plate would be icing on the cake at this point. My question is that if this is the case, why not trade Deno?

coachw513
03-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Can this overpowering group of sluggers overcome the famous pine-tar smudge :D

MaineRed
03-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I think the team knows what Deno will bring in CF. Narron and Co. know he is fast, gets good jumps and all that stuff. They don't need to see it. His defense out there this spring isn't going to sway them. They know his game.

We know he can play center but he probably is not going to the opening day CF. If he makes the club it will be as a bench guy and bench guys don't just play CF. They could be anywhere in that OF. Spring is the time to get guys like that as much work at other spots as possible.

Joseph
03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I think the team knows what Deno will bring in CF. Narron and Co. know he is fast, gets good jumps and all that stuff. They don't need to see it. His defense out there this spring isn't going to sway them. They know his game.

We know he can play center but he probably is not going to the opening day CF. If he makes the club it will be as a bench guy and bench guys don't just play CF. They could be anywhere in that OF. Spring is the time to get guys like that as much work at other spots as possible.

Here's to hoping you are correct. :beerme:

coachw513
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Seems to me this decision has been made clearly evidenced by Deno's lack of CF playing time :thumbdown

The bigger question is whether Griffey starts the season on the DL allowing Crosby to hang around early in the season :confused:

Because I think Crosby's a goner otherwise, with Moeller to stick and the Reds to keep 12 pitchers in their attempt to keep/hold Burton

This opinion subject to change upon hindsight :rolleyes:

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I can buy that reasoning. It does tell me he's not being considered for the starting CF job. It appears the battle for that job is between Freel and Hamilton, assuming Junior moves to RF.

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM

I accept this to an extent...but if he was seriously considered to be a candidate for CF, he would be playing there more. That's like saying they know what Gonzalez will do at SS, time to see what Janish can do.

Don't forget, there supposedly was an audition for CF this ST.

BRM
03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Don't forget, there supposedly was an audition for CF this ST.

Well, there has been an audition. It's just been primarily between Freel and Hamilton.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Not like anyone needs an additional reason to dislike Kenny Rogers, but I'm still a tad upset that he refused a trade to Cincinnati back in the day.

gonelong
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Not like anyone needs an additional reason to dislike Kenny Rogers, but I'm still a tad upset that he refused a trade to Cincinnati back in the day.

IIRC ...
He basically said he didn't want to go because they weren't a legit contender ... and he was right.

GL

BRM
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Per Trent:

Top 1: Denorfia grounds out, 6-3. Gonzalez grounds out 5-3, nice barehanded play by Neifi Perez. Yep, I'd trade Jermaine Dye for that guy [/bitterroyalfan] Phillips 5-3.

Grounds_Crew
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm at work, so thanks ahead of time for the play by play....which reminds me, do you work? Haha!

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Marty giving Dunn props for his outstanding spring. He said his patience, and improvements at the plate are very encouraging.

See....he can do it, naysayers. :)

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Eddie almost got that one.

Redlegs82
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
are there any other feeds (audio, video etc...) for this game?

redlegs2370
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
700 wlw has the game today

Redlegs82
Thank you.

Matt700wlw
700 wlw has the game today

And all of them from here on out

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Happy 30th, David Ross

:party:

coachw513
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
By the way, props to the Reds and Steve Stewart for the internet feeds of games that WLW did not do over the past couple of weeks :beerme:

redlegs2370
03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Is anyone going to do PBP for those of us at work that can't get audio feed?:help:

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Reds optioned LHP Brian Shackelford and RHP Brad Salmon to Triple-A Louisville.

If you want to win a spot in the Cincinnati pen, it helps to be 40 or at least out of options. The Reds weren't going to carry Shackelford when they had already guaranteed roster spots to fellow lefties Mike Stanton and Rheal Cormier. Throw in Bill Bray and they'll have three southpaws in the bullpen to start the year.

Quote from rotoworld...:laugh:

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not surprised at all, no matter what Lord Fay of Obvious says, about Salmon and Shackleford being optioned. If Salmon keeps missing AAA bats, he'll get his chance sometime between now and 2009.

hippie07
03-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm in class - could someone please do a PBP? I would greatly appreciate it....

coachw513
03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm in class - could someone please do a PBP? I would greatly appreciate it....

Nice to see our future leaders demonstrating a clear respect for their priorities in life :thumbup:

Well done, I say :D

NJReds
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I can't do PBP, but here's what C Trent has in his blog for the game so far:

Top 1: Denorfia grounds out, 6-3. Gonzalez grounds out 5-3, nice barehanded play by Neifi Perez. Yep, I'd trade Jermaine Dye for that guy [/bitterroyalfan] Phillips 5-3.

Bottom 1: I'm a cell phone guy and I'd be lost without my Blackberry, but in the workplace, I don't want to hear your personal conversations. Work, fine. Catching up with old friends? Take it somewhere else. Mark Bellhorn is playing first, not Conine. And Curtis Granderson flies out to right. We are told Conine had a family emergency. Rodriguez drops one between Wise and Hopper. Poor communication and probably should have been caught. IRod in for a double. Arroyo walks Sheffield, which would seem like a good move with a runner on second and Sheffield up, but that brings up Magglio Ordonez. That's one heck of a lineup. Lancaster grew up a Tigers fan and with me as a Royals fan, we used to argue about which team was worse. And now, wow, now they've got perhaps the best team in baseball. For the record, Kansas City does not. Arroyo dropped down to a somewhat sidearm delivery with two strikes and got Mags looking. Reds 0, Tigers 0

Top 2: Rogers hit Dunn. EE hit one to the wall in left -- Sheffield looked like he had trouble with the sun, but did pull it in, Dunn had to go back to first. Maybe to spend more time with Casey. Bellhorn walks. 5-3 double play. Maybe the Royals were right to get rid of Dye for Neifi. Or not. Reds 0, Tigers 0

Bottom 2: Case doubles. Which menas just about anyone else would have trippled. Well, I wouldn't have. I'm slower than Case. Craig Monroe flies out to Gonzalez. Neifi drops one in front of a diving Denorfia, who may have been able to deke Case going from second to third, but chose to dive instead. Case was in to third relatively easily. 1&3 1 out. Sights you see in spring training only -- Jim Leyland calls for a squeeze with Casey at third. Santiago singles to right, scoring Casey. 1-0 Tigers. Anyone but Granderson and the Reds are out of this inning. He hit a grounder to second and beat out the double play. Heck, even the scoreboard here at Joker Marchant Stadium had three outs. Polanco hits a shot to center, but Wise makes the play coming in. Tigers 1, Reds 0

cincy09
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
is there any score?

NJReds
03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Tigers 1, Reds 0

George Anderson
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
What did Tony La Russa do to Marty?? Marty seems to have little love for him.

jesusfan
03-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Where can I listen to the game on the net?

PuffyPig
03-19-2007, 01:57 PM

LaRussa didn't have to do anything.

To know him is to hate him.

Chip R
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM

I thought Marty started getting some man-love for him the past couple of years. He's mentioned that diring the 04 World Series, Tony really was good to Thom so then he was OK with Tony. But Marty doesn't like how Tony over-manages.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
But Marty doesn't like how Tony over-manages.

A few too many golf outings ruined by a getaway day matchup that stretched past the 4:00 mark with needless righty/lefty matchup changes in games the Cardinals were already up by 10.

And I'm with Marty on it -- Tony LaRussa does for the sake of doing, and has no bigger fan in this world than Tony LaRussa.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
But Marty doesn't like how Tony over-manages.

I don't think he's alone, there...

jesusfan
03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
is game feed available on the net?

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:06 PM
3rd inning update from C. Trent.

Top 3: 6-3 then Wise pops up a bunt. Two quick outs here. Denorfia walks. Gonzalez flies out. Tigers 1, Reds 0

Bottom 3: IRod singles up the middle. Sheffield walks. Infield fly brings up Casey with 1 out and men on 1st and 2nd. I smell a double play. Casey isn't quite as quick as Curtis Granderson. Single to right-center scores IRod, then Hopper throws kinda back toward first, but Phillips gets a glove on it and it goes far enough off target to advance the runners. E9. Monroe up with men on 2nd and 3rd and one out. Sac fly. Neifi flies out to second. 1 earned, 1 unearned run that inning. Tigers 3, Reds 0

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Adam Bomb

:dunn:

:jump:

westofyou
03-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think he's alone, there...

Yet Tony will end up in the "real" wing of the HOF.... go figure.

membengal
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
On that Dunn Homerun, you could hear the Tiger crowd go "oooooooooo" as he hit it. It must have been crushed.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Yet Tony will end up in the "real" wing of the HOF.... go figure.

And he should...he's accomplished a lot, and has hall of fame credentials. His managing style just drives me crazy.

westofyou
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Just his managing style drives me crazy.

Same thing said about Stengel too.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Same thing said about Stengel too.

I'd rather be in LaRussa's shoes than say... Buddy Bell or Mike Hargrove's shoes the last 6-7 years!!

geniusMoment
03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Damn, another reds starter is getting roughed up. I'm beginning to get worried that our starters seem to give up runs, then our bullpen holds them and the scrubs win the game.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Ross kicks off the 5th with a bunt single.

Yes, I said bunt single.

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
4th inning rundown:

Top 4: For those of you at home, now is the time to start your no-hit pool. No-hitter for Kenny Rogers through three. Phillips out to left. Tigers have the shift on Dunn. The shift doesn't matter when you hit it over the right field wall. 3-1. Oh, and there goes your no-no. EE out to center. Pop up to first. Tigers 3, Reds 1

Bottom 4: Santiago out to right. Granderson flies out to center. Speaking of annoying, the PA announcer here at Joker Marchant Stadium does everything but say 'and at guard, from North Carolina...' 5-3. Tigers 3, Reds 1

membengal
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Damn, another reds starter is getting roughed up. I'm beginning to get worried that our starters seem to give up runs, then our bullpen holds them and the scrubs win the game.

Nothing Arroyo or Harang are doing on the spring should give you concern. They have long since earned the right to work their arm to where it needs to be and get ready for the season.

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM

I certainly hope not, 2nd is going to be bad enough.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Sheffield just cranked one out.

4-2 Tigers.

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Deno had an RBI double in the top of the 5th by the way.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Zumaya and his heat in to pitch for the Tigers

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
5th inning recap:

Top 5: Ross bunt single. Hopper tries the same thing, but Rogers makes a really nice play flinging it to Casey. Wise might get hit right here. Instead of plunking Wise, Rogers gets him looking. Denorfia doubles to the wall,s coring Ross. 3-2. 5-3, and I'm learning all about Lakeland High School football from the guy in front of me. Tigers 3, Reds 2

Bottom 5: Pudge 1-3. Sheffield homers. Seriously, the Tigers have the same lineup as last year PLUS Sheffield. 4-2. Magglio smokes one to 3rd, but EE jumps up to snag it. Arroyo out, Jon Coutlangus in to face Casey. Strategery -- Marcus Thams pinch-hitting for Casey. E5, but it was a one-hopper Bellhorn should've had at first. One thing about 1st baseman fielding stats, they don't mean that much, but a good 1st baseman can save a lot of charged errors around the infield. Monroe grounds to 3rd and EE makes sure to get teh force at second, where Phillips wouldn't drop it. Tigers 4, Reds 2

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Paul Wilson in to toss

membengal
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
C. Trent's take on EE's error and Bellhorn's part in it is a LOT different from the rant Marty just went on.

Paul Wilson in.

Um, gotta say, not exactly rooting hard this inning for the Reds, if ya follow me...

pedro
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
C. Trent's take on EE's error and Bellhorn's part in it is a LOT different from the rant Marty just went on.

Paul Wilson in.

Um, gotta say, not exactly rooting hard this inning for the Reds, if ya follow me...

To Thom's credit he doesn't seem to agree with his dad about EE.

BRM
Paul Wilson in to toss

Did he bring his gas can with him?

Matt700wlw
If by gas you mean, topping out at 86-88mph, then he's on fire.

membengal
03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Thom B., god bless him, cutting through the cult of Wilson very effectively...

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Hopper saves a homer, but hurts his knee in the process (knee, meet wall).

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Thom B., god bless him, cutting through the cult of Wilson very effectively...

What did he say?

jojo
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
More credit given to Krivsky and Co. for things that haven't happened yet....

membengal
And, Pedro, yeah, Thom B on a different island from Marty B on EE. Which is great, not because I agree with Thom, but more because it will challenge Marty B, something which has woefully been lacking in the booth for a number of years.

Paul Wilson getting bailed out by the defense, rocket just hit to RF that Hopper apparently made a heckuva play on. Hopper came up gimpy after crashing into the wall...

BRM
If by gas you mean, topping out at 86-88mph, then he's on fire.

86? Shoot, that's good enough to be a closer candidate for this team.

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
C. Trent had to step away but here's his latest recap:

Top 6: Thames stays at first. Vance Wilson behind the plate and Guitar Hero JoeL Zumaya. This is one of the few places with a radar gun, and that one read 102. Phillips sent it back up the middle for a single. Dunn flied out to left, but we all know that's better than his homer to right. EE 6-4-3 ends the inning. Tigers 4, Reds 2

Bottom 6: Paul Wilson in for the Redlegs. Looks like Dunn is done for the day. He just took his bats and tritted out toward the clubhouse. Sean Caey was there waiting for Dunn out by the right field line. So, the guy with whom my ex-girlfriend cheated on me is at this game and he keeps texting me. Seriously. When you cause the breakup of a someone who was about to propose, shouldn't you have the decency not to try to be their friend? But hey, I guess I'm just old fashioned like that. 1-4-3 for Neifi. Santiago fouls one to left, Denorfia dives for it, but misses it. Took a second for him to get up, but seems fine now. Santiago walks, bringing back the top fo the order. Hopper just made a nice catch running into the right field walll. Looks like he hurt his knee. I gotta run to get Bronson. Will update when I get back.

pedro
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
And, Pedro, yeah, Thom B on a different island from Marty B on EE. Which is great, not because I agree with Thom, but more because it will challenge Marty B, something which has woefully been lacking in the booth for a number of years.

I think it's good too. Highlights the fact that Marty's opinion is just that. His opinion.

membengal
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
What did he say?

Referenced just how bad Wilson's spring has been, with actual STATS. Batting average against, for instance. Compared it to what Belisle has gotten done.

Wilson has ended Hopper's day, Hopper coming out after paying a price for his heroics.

Btw, the Twins are running Sidney Ponson out against Milton on Wednesday. At the very least, Ponson ain't in the Reds camp...

lollipopcurve
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
More credit given to Krivsky and Co. for things that haven't happened yet....

???

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Btw, the Twins are running Sidney Ponson out against Milton on Wednesday. At the very least, Ponson ain't in the Reds camp...

Hitters for both teams are begging to be in the lineup that day.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Referenced just how bad Wilson's spring has been, with actual STATS. Batting average against, for instance. Compared it to what Belisle has gotten done.

Wilson has ended Hopper's day, Hopper coming out after paying a price for his heroics.

I think from now on I will just refer to Paul Wilson as "Meat".

pedro
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
apparently Zumaya's last pitch was clocked at 102 MPH.

pedro
03-19-2007, 02:55 PM
now 103.

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:55 PM
apparently Zumaya's last pitch was clocked at 102 MPH.

yeah, but is he a pitcher or a thrower?

edabbs44
03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Deno had an RBI double in the top of the 5th by the way.

Deno's going to end up with a very respectable spring, after an extremely slow start, by the way. :)

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Who cares -- at 103 nobody has enough time to figure out the difference.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM

4 hour game, easily.

Team Clark

I'll take 102 and refine his other pitches over 88 over the plate.

pedro

Last year the league hit .187 off him so I'm not sure it matters. :)

BRM
Who cares -- at 103 nobody has enough time to figure out the difference.

Ah c'mon. I know you'd rather have a crafty "pitcher" out there in the 9th inning than some raw talent kid who throws hard...

westofyou
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Btw, the Twins are running Sidney Ponson out against Milton on Wednesday.

Equal opportunity means everyone will have a fair chance at being incompetent.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Deno's going to end up with a very respectable spring, after an extremely slow start, by the way. :)

Yes indeed. His last 6-7 games have been VERY good. Good for him. He works hard. Hope they keep him too.

BRM
03-19-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree with you. He'll be a catalyst for the Bats this summer.

membengal
03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Ah c'mon. I know you'd rather have a crafty "pitcher" out there in the 9th inning than some raw talent kid who throws hard...

That's certainly the Tigers' approach, they are adamant, and have had a press conference recently to the effect, that Todd Jones is and will be their ninth inning guy.

Matt700wlw
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Wilson is fooling nobody. Getting hit very hard.

membengal
03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
According to Thom B:

Kirk Saarloos 6 innings 3 hits 0 runs back at the complex in a minor league game. 87 pitches. Hermanson 2 innings 2 walks 0 hits 0 runs.

Majewski 1 inning, 3 hits and a couple of runs in the minor league game.

Do with that what you will.

Paul Wilson getting lit up Christmas tree style again.

Roy Tucker
03-19-2007, 03:02 PM

He's a belly itcher.

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree with you. He'll be a catalyst for the Bats this summer.

Yeah: "Homer and Deno, take it to the casino!"

I'll spot the Louisville marketing department that one.

membengal
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Wilson gets out of the seventh. A run scored on two hits. Hard screaming ripped hits.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
C. Trent is back:

Bottom 7: Cody Strait went in for Hopper. The first batter lined out to him to end the 6th. He grounded out to 2nd in the top of the 7th. Walked in here and Paul Wilson has given up a run so far this inning, got a runner on second with 1 out. Make that two. That was a nasty curveball to strike out Thames.

Also, report from Sarasota. These guys threw in minor leagues today:
Saarloos, 6ip, 3h, 0r, 2bb, 5k, 87 pitches
Hermanson, 2ip, 0h, 0r, 2bb, 2k, 35 pitches
Majewski, 1ip, 3h, 2r, 0bb, 1k, 18 pitches

Monroe flies out to left. I expect that to be the last of Wilson. They wanted to get Burton in the game today and they'll need to do it in the 8th if the Reds don't get a couple of runs here. Tigers 5, Reds 2

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
4 hour game, easily.

We can hurry that up by telling Ponson that there's a postgame buffet.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Or by instituting a slow-pitch softball type HR rule. Each team is allowed two homeruns. After that, they are outs.

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Marty and Thom are speaking of closers like it's a religious discussion.

Marty: "So you believe in The Closer?"

Thom: "Ab-so-LUTE-ly I do!" (yes, it was shouted.)

The Brennaman family will beat you down, you scurvy atheists.

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM

http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/b67.html (rated NC-17 for language)

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Wilson still pitching in the 8th.

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Bellhorn lets one skip by him at 1B and dowwnnnnnn into the corner. Leadoff double.

Man, Mark is exactly as his results have shown over the last two seasons: errors and strikeouts.

KronoRed
03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Wilson still pitching in the 8th.

Finish him!

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Bellhorn lets one skip by him at 1B and dowwnnnnnn into the corner. Leadoff double.

Man, Mark is exactly as his results have shown over the last two seasons: errors and strikeouts.

Trent described it as a double past "a falling Mark Bellhorn".

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Trent described it as a double past "a falling Mark Bellhorn".

Marty said, "That ball's got to be played." Perhaps I was editorializing in my interpretation, but the word "falling" instead of "diving" also connotes something.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
8th inning recap:

Top 8: Josh Hamilton was just out of the dugout swinging the bat, so he may be in the DH spot for Dunn. Wise striked out. Denorfia flies out to right. Gonzalez out looking. Tigers 5, Reds 2

Bottom 8: I was wrong. Wilson still in. Machado at second, SoftJ at SS, Jeff Bannon at third. Neifi doubles by a falling Mark Bellhorn. SAC 3-4. Granderson walks. SAC fly. 6-2 Tigers. Tigers 6, Reds 2

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Hamilton takes Dunn's spot at DH. Todd Jones pitching for Detroit.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Finish him!

Liu Kang wins...excellent... Flawless Victory.

TRF
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Thom B. insists Majewski is a good pitcher.

:bang:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
03-19-2007, 03:26 PM

If healthy so do alot of scouts at the big league level.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
If healthy so do alot of scouts at the big league level.

I'd take Majic over a lot of the fodder I have seen. He's put up decent numbers in the past. He can do it again. The guy was hurt, tried to pitch through it. Why do people keep beating him up over it? It's over. He'll be fine.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

membengal
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Hamilton singled, I think, in the 9th. He's on, along with Bellhorn, two on, two out.

Doc. Scott

Well, he is a fairly good pitcher. Was he worth the price paid for him, healthy or not? No. But he did put up a really good 2005 (albeit with a bit of luck) and had pitched pretty solidly in 2006 before his acquisition.

A healthy Majewski makes this bullpen without a doubt. In fact, I'd take him second after Coffey among the right-handers.

membengal
Final out recorded.

6-2 win for Detroit.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, he is a fairly good pitcher. Was he worth the price paid for him, healthy or not? No. But he did put up a really good 2005 (albeit with a bit of luck) and had pitched pretty solidly in 2006 before his acquisition.

A healthy Majewski makes this bullpen without a doubt. In fact, I'd take him second after Coffey among the right-handers.

I couldn't agree more. He'll be a better option that Weathers and a good set up man when Coffey is improperly used in the 6th.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd take Majic over a lot of the fodder I have seen. He's put up decent numbers in the past. He can do it again. The guy was hurt, tried to pitch through it. Why do people keep beating him up over it? It's over. He'll be fine.

Becuase a lot of people dont want to look at it that way. They want to look at it as "we traded two proven young talents for middle relief who sucked last year in a handful of innings, one of which was hurt when we got him!". Of course, thats not really how it went down. Majewski was hurt when we got him, but prior to that, he was a good pitcher. Bray also was a good pitcher last season, even with the Reds. Sometime people wont let go of things, and "the trade" is one of them.

Doc. Scott
03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Becuase a lot of people dont want to look at it that way. They want to look at it as "we traded two proven young talents for middle relief who sucked last year in a handful of innings, one of which was hurt when we got him!". Of course, thats not really how it went down. Majewski was hurt when we got him, but prior to that, he was a good pitcher. Bray also was a good pitcher last season, even with the Reds. Sometime people wont let go of things, and "the trade" is one of them.

Just for the record, I'm not condoning The Trade in my defense, such as it is, of Gary Majewski.

Although if what you're saying is that it's time to look at what it brought us rather than what we lost, then I'm with you.

BRM
03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I wonder if that's the last time we see Paul Wilson this spring?

Chip R
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah. Good and terrible.

Tom Servo
03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
I wonder if that's the last time we see Paul Wilson this spring?
Hopefully it's the last time we see Paul Wilson as an active player for the Reds.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM

That about sums it up. The difference between knowing and not knowing. :laugh:

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Hopefully it's the last time we see Paul Wilson as an active player for the Reds.

More than likely. I would venture to say that is why Narron and his trusty Pole let him go one more inning. Shame Burton had to suffer. Does that mean Burton is in contention for Hermanson's role? I am going to the end of the limb to think so.

dougdirt
03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Just for the record, I'm not condoning The Trade in my defense, such as it is, of Gary Majewski.

Although if what you're saying is that it's time to look at what it brought us rather than what we lost, then I'm with you.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I am saying. I don't think the trade was a great one for us, or even a good one really. But the fact of the matter is (just like drafting Drew Stubbs), they are now Reds and I think we need to look at them as that, not as what we could have had. I mean there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions based off of what 15 innings thrown by a hurt Majewski and 27 above average innings thrown by Bray last season.... I think its just time that we move on from the trade, and pay attention more to what the result can help bring to this team.

PuffyPig
03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
More than likely. I would venture to say that is why Narron and his trusty Pole let him go one more inning. Shame Burton had to suffer. Does that mean Burton is in contention for Hermanson's role? I am going to the end of the limb to think so.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson agree to go to AAA to see if he can get it together. It would be one of those deals where he could give the Reds 48 hours notice to "bring him up or release him".

lollipopcurve
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Does that mean Burton is in contention for Hermanson's role?

No way. Funny, you hear all kinds of caution about "Reithing" starters, but you don't hear about overexposing young relievers. If it's me, I bring Burton along slowly -- middle innings, then the 7th and 8th if he does well. He's still young and skipping AAA. Go slow.

westofyou
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson agree to go to AAA to see if he can get it together.

I know the ending to that story

http://www.donbarnett.com/fineart/images/watrclrs/images/Humpty-Dumpty.jpg

crazybob60
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that is pretty much what I am saying. I don't think the trade was a great one for us, or even a good one really. But the fact of the matter is (just like drafting Drew Stubbs), they are now Reds and I think we need to look at them as that, not as what we could have had. I mean there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions based off of what 15 innings thrown by a hurt Majewski and 27 above average innings thrown by Bray last season.... I think its just time that we move on from the trade, and pay attention more to what the result can help bring to this team.

I think this was very well put......

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
No way. Funny, you hear all kinds of caution about "Reithing" starters, but you don't hear about overexposing young relievers. If it's me, I bring Burton along slowly -- middle innings, then the 7th and 8th if he does well. He's still young and skipping AAA. Go slow.

I hear ya. If Burton is that talented I think of a young Scott Williamson who forced his way onto the roster. Papellbon is/was a legit stud and they put him into their weakest spot, closer. I know in my heart that Burton would not be allowed to be the closer with Stanton/Weathers/Bray on the roster.

Team Clark
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson agree to go to AAA to see if he can get it together. It would be one of those deals where he could give the Reds 48 hours notice to "bring him up or release him".

I could see that happening but it would only hinder the development of the players the Reds have going to AAA. Paul Wilson = Joe Mays

Caveman Techie
03-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Paul Wilson = Joe Mays

This statement makes me sad. I love Paul Wilson to death, but yeah it's time for him to start work on coaching for the Reds not pitching.

TRF
03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Because his good season was really a lucky season

He doesn't miss bats. 5.23 K/9 in 2005. That actually rose slightly in 2006 but was still well south of 6 K/9

So is 2005 the real Majewski? His minor league numbers say he walks about 4 batters per 9 innings. That seems a bit high. He was better at getting a K in the minors though. 8 K/9. But that has not translated at all to the major league level. In the bigs he walks fewer batters and K's fewer (far fewer) batters.

Mostly because batters can hit his middlin' stuff.

In 16 games in 2004 he had a nice 3.86 ERA. Until you look deeper and see that only 9 of the 15 runs he allowed were earned. Smells like Reitsma to me. And I wasn't a fan of Reitsma and his propensity to allow a ton of runs after an error.

I'm thinking the real Majewski is a high 4's ERA kind of relief pitcher, and thanks, but the Reds have had plenty of that crap for years now.

PuffyPig
03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm thinking the real Majewski is a high 4's ERA kind of relief pitcher, and thanks, but the Reds have had plenty of that crap for years now.

I think you are being too harsh on him.

He's been a bit lucky in his career to date, but nowhere close to a high 5 ERA type guy.

Expect, when healthy, a relief pitcher who can give you lots of innings at about a 4 ERA. And that's better than the crap we have had over the years.

TRF
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
i said high 4's not high 5's. he's a slightly below average kind of guy.

Topcat
03-20-2007, 12:11 AM

You nailed it perfectly dirt yet again you think logically instead of reactionary:beerme:

Team Clark
03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Because his good season was really a lucky season

He doesn't miss bats. 5.23 K/9 in 2005. That actually rose slightly in 2006 but was still well south of 6 K/9

So is 2005 the real Majewski? His minor league numbers say he walks about 4 batters per 9 innings. That seems a bit high. He was better at getting a K in the minors though. 8 K/9. But that has not translated at all to the major league level. In the bigs he walks fewer batters and K's fewer (far fewer) batters.

Mostly because batters can hit his middlin' stuff.

In 16 games in 2004 he had a nice 3.86 ERA. Until you look deeper and see that only 9 of the 15 runs he allowed were earned. Smells like Reitsma to me. And I wasn't a fan of Reitsma and his propensity to allow a ton of runs after an error.

You make excellent points. Not that I am surprised. Luck or no luck I think he will fit into this bullpen in a good way. I am more intrigued by Burton and Salmon.