PDA

View Full Version : Edwin

Ltlabner
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
From the 2007 Baseball Prospectus, pg 119.

"...but like a lot of Reds, you have to wonder how much of his production is the hitter and how much is the ballpark. He hit .323/.419/.526 at GABP, but just .234/.301/.425 on the road. That's the difference between earining comparisions to David Wright or to Jim Presley. In the field, Encarnacion is athletic, but his glovework at thrid is inconsistent enough to be career-altering. The Reds need him at third for the time being, but barring improvement, there will come a time when they'll have to decide if first is his destiny or Joey Votto's."

Agree? Dissagree?

What (reasonable) level of production does Edwin have to put up this year to really help out the Reds?

Discuss amoungst yourselves.

kaldaniels
03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
From the 2007 Baseball Prospectus, pg 119.

Agree? Dissagree?

Discuss amoungst yourselves.

You know, at this point in his career, I would say the sample size is just too small to determine if that home/road split is accurate. In my opinion, if what we have seen and heard about Edwin he will continue to improve. I've seen some national buzz this year saying he'll be a breakout player. I don't know about going that far. I'm guessing .275 -.280 BA with 25 home runs this year. Not a superstar year, but still solid improvement at the plate.

Joseph
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm getting verklempt.

dougdirt
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I disagree. They said his glovework wasnt good, when that clearly isnt the case. Edwin has a great glove. Its when he takes the ball out of his glove that his problems begin.
As for Home/Road splits... its a little early to figure out how good/bad a guy is based off of 300 at bats on each side.

cacollinsmba
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure what the concern is with the home/away splits. To me, it would only matter a) if the Reds were moving to a new stadium or b) the Reds were trying to trade him to another team. Neither of those things is occurring.

coachw513
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I disagree. They said his glovework wasnt good, when that clearly isnt the case. Edwin has a great glove. Its when he takes the ball out of his glove that his problems begin.
As for Home/Road splits... its a little early to figure out how good/bad a guy is based off of 300 at bats on each side.

Absolutely correct...EE's got mad glove, but a "mad cow" arm sometimes :eek:

The guy can mash...he's a classic gaps hitter who will be pulling into 2nd base with 40+ doubles every year...he's already showing a propensity to be a big run producer with outstanding clutch RBI ability...I fail to see how any of those things are related to GABP :confused:

Cant Touch This
03-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Edwin also got hit by three more pitches at home. Here's why I don't particularly care for the Home and Away splits. There are far too many variables to consider (who were the pitchers he faced, what was the weather like, etc.) Why would it be any easier to hit at GABP than any other stadium aside from HR totals? If he had hit a lot more HRs at home to inflate his average and his slugging pct., then I could live with the split. But that's not the case.

In fact he hit fewer home runs at home than he did away last year. Granted, he had more at bats on the road, but not that many. He hit 7 HRs at home in 192 at bats (1 HR per 27.4 ABs) and 8 HRs in 214 ABs on the road (1 HR per 26.5 ABs.)

So if the HR numbers aren't what inflates his offensive production at home, what is it? And couldn't the same be illustrated by many, many other players who tend to perform better at home (familiar environment, friendlier crowd, no travel, etc.)

I don't think his split has anything to do with GABP. A double here is a double anywhere...

Ron Madden
03-22-2007, 02:51 AM
EE is still very young.

Let's give the kid some time to prove or disprove himself.

Keep an eye on Edwin... If he remains healthy you'll like what you see.

jmcclain19
03-22-2007, 04:26 AM
I guess I'm a victim of using what I've seen with my own eyes as my analysis, but I just don't get all the harping on EdE's Defense with the leather. His arm yes does need some work. But I think I can count on his glovework, Dunn's shear power and Freel's hustle as the top three points of unexpected excitement the last two years watching Reds every night. Something you hope you see when you tune in.