PDA

View Full Version : Marty and Brantley...

TheWalls
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
are just violating Milton on air right now. It's almost like they're trying to convince Castellini to outright him by sheer force of their words. It's brutal. As much as I dislike Milton, this is just brutal.

Matt700wlw
03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts...however that $25 million bucks he didn't earn can't hurt too bad

Some broadcasters wouldn't be able to get away telling it like it is either, especially about a player on their home club. Thankfully, we aren't one of those markets.

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
He is a power pitcher without any power.

His fastball has no pop, his curve has no bite and his chance little deception and no tumble. The bad knee is not going to get any better.

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Continuing to send Milton out to the mound is an exercise in beating your head against the wall.

Redsland
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm liking Brantley. He's a color man who actually has some interesting things to say.

Unassisted
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I like their recommendation that Milton be used as the Number 5 starter. It certainly makes sense.

Their assessment of Coffey's work was fairly blunt, too. I think it was Brantley who said somrthing like "Walking the first batter in an inning when Dick Pole is your pitching coach is a good way to get yourself a ticket on the next bus to Louisville."

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I like their recommendation that Milton be used as the Number 5 starter. It certainly makes sense.what makes the most sense is to stuff him into Wilson's suitcase. :p:

redsfan30
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm liking Brantley. He's a color man who actually has some interesting things to say.

He's still awfully, awfully raw as a play-by-play man. That'll come with time, but right now, it's pretty bad.

I agree though, he sounds very good coupled with Marty as a color guy.

flyer85
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
He's still awfully, awfully raw as a play-by-play man. That'll come with time, but right now, it's pretty bad.

I agree though, he sounds very good coupled with Marty as a color guy.I like his color commentary but as a PBP guy he forgets to call a lot of the action. Although I will admit he has gotten better since his first couple of broadcasts.

If Thom and Marty can't make him presentable as a PBP man then he is a lost cause.

Doc. Scott
03-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I said this in the game thread, too, but Brantley sounds like a young Harry Caray on play-by-play. Take that for what it's worth.

As a color man, he seems knowledgable but, as befitting his ESPN roots, is very prone to making huge overstatements and grand pronouncements based on very small amounts of evidence.

Redsland
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
As a color man, he seems knowledgable but, as befitting his ESPN roots, is very prone to making huge overstatements and grand pronouncements based on very small amounts of evidence.
Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever.

;)

SunDeck
03-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I like his color commentary but as a PBP guy he forgets to call a lot of the action.

Cool, then it'll be like having Nuxhall in the booth all over again.
We used to dial into WLW on game nights by listening for the absolute silence of Nuxhall at the open mic.

For ever, this has been the sweetest music of summer:
"Thewine annapitch."
Five seconds of silence.
"Swinggg annamiss."

Strikes Out Looking
03-21-2007, 04:46 PM
I said this in the game thread, too, but Brantley sounds like a young Harry Caray on play-by-play. Take that for what it's worth.

Drunk with dark hair?

WVJulz
03-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Drunk with dark hair?

That's what my 14 year old daughter said when she heard him the other day. Not the dark hair bit, but that he sounded loaded. I'm sorry, but I don't like listening to him call a game. Bring back Joe, give me Thom, but keep Brantley away from the mic. I don't care how much baseball he knows, the sound of his voice drives me crazy.

JMO,
Julz

coachw513
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM

;)

oh, I get it :thumbup:

I like the dialogue that has gone on in the snippets of game action I've caught with first Marty and Thom, then today Marty with Jeff...to his credit, Marty clearly is allowing the other "voices" room to be heard and to grow...it will make for a much more entertaining, and I think informative broadcast :beerme:

I will say this, however...I look forward to the first offseason where the biggest news for the Reds is signing a big-name free agent PLAYER :D

TheWalls
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
what makes the most sense is to stuff him into Wilson's suitcase. :p:

:laugh: But his wallet won't quite fit. Any suggestions?

noskill27
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Very true. It bugs me to no end. He's perfect for ESPN, but he needs a LOT of work to cut it as a Reds broadcaster. A LOT of work....

CINCYREDS#1
03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
he used to be good with the phillies

wat happened?

redsfan1966
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
As much as Marty would be against it--the only solution to the Jeff Brantley pbp problem would be a three man booth...days Thom is gone or on FSN, maybe George Grande or (shudder) "Bad Boy" Steve Stewart can do the three innings Marty takes off...

Dracodave
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
he used to be good with the phillies

wat happened?

His knee happened, then his elbow..then his knee again...then he lost confidence..then his knee..

Did I mention his knee? :p: :p:

Newport Red
03-21-2007, 09:57 PM

;)

This should be made into a Redszone t-shirt.

sonny
03-22-2007, 01:30 AM
As much as Marty would be against it--the only solution to the Jeff Brantley pbp problem would be a three man booth...days Thom is gone or on FSN, maybe George Grande or (shudder) "Bad Boy" Steve Stewart can do the three innings Marty takes off...

I have special place in my heart for Steve. When he was on, he was very enjoyable. But this was beat to death here when they let him go.

Ron Madden
03-22-2007, 03:20 AM
what makes the most sense is to stuff him into Wilson's suitcase. :p:

I agree. I wish there were enough room in Wilsons luggage to fit Hermanson in there too. ;)

Rocket_Fuel
03-22-2007, 06:20 AM
I agree. I wish there were enough room in Wilsons luggage to fit Hermanson in there too. ;)

Why? Hermanson has been ok.

Ravenlord
03-22-2007, 06:26 AM

i agree, which surprises me coming from a dude from ESPN. though i doubt we'll here such glories as "Two million dollars. he makes two million dollars and he loses the ball in the sun." coming from Jeff.

i can accept his overstating things though, that seems to just go along with modern broadcasting outside of Vin Scully (is he still considered modern in this right?)

icehole3
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I believe Brantley will be called in to the front office and be told to curve some of the critical comments.

Ron Madden
03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Why? Hermanson has been ok.

I believe Hermanson is finished and that he has been very lucky so far.

MississippiRed
03-23-2007, 09:35 AM
i agree, which surprises me coming from a dude from ESPN. though i doubt we'll here such glories as "Two million dollars. he makes two million dollars and he loses the ball in the sun." coming from Jeff.

i can accept his overstating things though, that seems to just go along with modern broadcasting outside of Vin Scully (is he still considered modern in this right?)

I had to make a comment on this, as Brantley is a home-boy who pitched for my school. I think (hope) he will get better. It's like he feels he needs to have an opinion on everything right now, until his listeners get to know him better. He does give good insight into pitcher's heads (at least I think it is good insight.)

I know you weren't comparing him to Scully, but really, nobody matches up with him. I often go to sleep in the summer listening to him call those West Coast games. He takes me back to my childhood. For this reason, I got to see the four home runs in a row game last year. After getting to watch the Reds play often, this is the second best benefit of having MLB Extra Innings.