PDA

View Full Version : Coutlangus looks to be Surprise of 2007 season.

Eric_Davis
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
He's moved his way through every level he's been at during his short time as a pitcher and at a young enough age that there's lot's of room for improvement still. He had a great Arizona Fall League. His Spring Training so far has been impecable. He may easily be the best left-handed pitcher in our bullpen.

60-70 innings with an ERA under 3.00 is a real possibility for this kid. That could translate into a few more wins this year that we weren't able to get last year.

coachw513
03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
In 1 year, we may well have 5 very impressive, young arms in our pen with Coffey, Bray, Burton, Salmon and Coutlangus...it's been a long time since we've had the luxury of saying that :dancingco

That fortunately would still leave 1-2 spots for some "veteran presence" :barf:

Patrick Bateman
03-21-2007, 05:48 PM
That's pretty lofty expectations for a guy yet to really play in AAA. I'd start him off there, and see how he does. If he dominates, it shouldn't be hard for him to take Cormier's spot.

1 thing I noticed is that he gave up zero homeruns last season in 63 innings, and only 3 in 77 innings the year before. That's a pretty impressive skill that will work well in GABP. Plus he has been able to K guys at a high rate. If he continues putting up numbers like that in AAA, he should be able to succeed in the majors pretty quickly.

Chip R
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM
He has options so I think Coutlangus is going down. :D

coachw513
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM

winner, winner, chicken dinner :thumbup:

Eric_Davis
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM

....been waiting for that one.

KoryMac5
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
....been waiting for that one.

Unfortunately that has been the theme Narron keeps discussing in his interviews regarding the pitching staff. Who has options and who doesn't, a very flawed way of thinking when you are trying to put the best team together.

paintmered
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately that has been the theme Narron keeps discussing in his interviews regarding the pitching staff. Who has options and who doesn't, a very flawed way of thinking when you are trying to put the best team together.

Yes and no. There is more to the season than just two weeks and injuries happen. Coutlangus will most definitely have an opportunity to help out in Cincy this year. The games in August count just as much as the games in April.

Regardless, it's a good thing to have capable arms in Louisville to fill in the ranks when the time comes.

Redus
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
his cousin analangus has a great "backdoor" slider

corkedbat
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Medlock and/or Pelland could join them by next year. I know Tyler has been a starter, but IIRC he has a strong fastball and limited secondary pitches. I'd say his future in the big leagues would be out of the pen.

Falls City Beer
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
His numbers would really have to take a dive.

(If you think they'll stop when he makes the team, you're fooling yourself).

captainmorgan07
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
i sure hope he is get cormier outta here keep burton and if bray is still having shoulder soreness give him time to rest and have coutlangus up for the beginning of the season

tripleaaaron
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
In 1 year, we may well have 5 very impressive, young arms in our pen with Coffey, Bray, Burton, Salmon and Coutlangus...it's been a long time since we've had the luxury of saying that :dancingco

That fortunately would still leave 1-2 spots for some "veteran presence" :barf:

Dont Forget Maj, and Belisle as a swinglman, it seems our bullpen with the exception of an established closer is pretty much well off from top to bottom for the next several years, and if we could have a closer emerge from among them even better