PDA

View Full Version : What's a "Titatnic"?

Redsland
03-24-2007, 07:53 PM
:mooner:

MrCinatit
03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Does this mean I have to change my name to MrCintatit?

KronoRed
03-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe they were worried about Marty suing

Tom Servo
03-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Must be the Titanic's kid brother.

guttle11
03-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Friggin hilarious.

savafan
03-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Tit for Tat Nic?

pedro
03-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Isn't Titatnic that guy who said he was from the future?

tripleaaaron
03-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Although the name of this grouping of threads is clever, I don't like it. Titanic struggle is a pretty negative outlook for the game threads, especially considering we are fans and most of us want a positive outcome each night. I do feel that while we may not be as positioned as we'd like for a run at the playoffs we are still in contention (see almost any other thread) so we should attempt to be at least neutral concerning the name of our gathering place to discuss the games.
So I am proposing:
Hangin On Every Pitch
or Rain or Shine
Does anyone else feel the same as I, and do you have any other suggestions?

Redsland
03-24-2007, 08:22 PM
No, that was RMS Olympic. (And please keep in mind that ships are sisters.) :)

Isn't Titatnic that guy who said he was from the future?
No, that was John Titor.

I'm still stumped.

:p:

Redsland
03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
(This post-thread-merge post no longer relevant)

WMR
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Paging MR MOD Paging MR MOD "You have a misspelled forum name on the front page"

Boss-Hog
03-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Although the name of this grouping of threads is clever, I don't like it. Titanic struggle is a pretty negative outlook for the game threads, especially considering we are fans and most of us want a positive outcome each night. I do feel that while we may not be as positioned as we'd like for a run at the playoffs we are still in contention (see almost any other thread) so we should attempt to be at least neutral concerning the name of our gathering place to discuss the games.
So I am proposing:
Hangin On Every Pitch
or Rain or Shine
Does anyone else feel the same as I, and do you have any other suggestions?
Marty uses the "Titanic Struggle" line whether the Reds are ahead or not.

remdog
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
I logged on here to check out the last inning of today's game and was a bit puzzeled that there was no 'Game Threads' where I had left it. Then I see 'Tonight's....Titanic Struggle' and realize that someone tried to get creative---and failed. Someone forgot the the K.I.S.S. rule.

Not all of the games are at night.
Not all games are 'titanic'.
Not all games are a struggle.

Not all names are good choices.

Rem

savafan
03-24-2007, 09:15 PM

True... :)

Chip R
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Not all games are 'titanic'.
Not all games are a struggle.

Not all names are good choices.

Rem

So what?
Big deal.
Yawn.

UKFlounder
03-24-2007, 10:40 PM
No, that was John Titor.

:p:

And he was a pretty good pitcher for the Cardinals (left-handed, IIRC) :evil:

savafan
03-25-2007, 03:08 AM
And he was a pretty good pitcher for the Cardinals (left-handed, IIRC) :evil:

No, that was John Tudor, who surprisingly enough was not a member of the English Tudor Dynasty.

guttle11
03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
This thread is very ironic. Don't 'cha think?

vaticanplum
03-25-2007, 02:13 PM
(This post-thread-merge post no longer relevant)

Redsland, you are a riot :laugh:

Big Klu
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM

No, that was RMS Olympic. (And please keep in mind that ships are sisters.) :)

Actually, that would be the HMHS Britannic. The Olympic was actually older than the Titanic. :)

TeamSelig
03-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Horrible name IMO

why not just call it Game Threads or Game Day or something to that extent

Danny Serafini
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I can't believe the amount of whining over a clever name. Really, is it that big of a deal?

paintmered
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I can't believe the amount of whining over a clever name. Really, is it that big of a deal?

Schizophrenic overreactionland is still available. ;)

Patrick Bateman
03-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Schizophrenic overreactionland is still available. ;)

Sign me up.

Seriously, I think the name is actually pretty good and is isolated to only the Reds which makes it very suitable.

And for those who don't like it, is the name of a forum really going to ruin your day?

Scrap Irony
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually, the name comes from the latin, for "similiar to Luis Tiant," who, as many of you may remember, was quite the pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. Too, Tiant's ancestry was Cuban and he, along with his family, fled Cuba when Fidel Castro came into power. And Castro, as we all know, once attempted to pitch for the Reds, but even Jim Bowden could see he leaned far too left(ist) in his delivery and was subsequently dealt back to Cuba for Tony Perez. Unbeknownst to Bowden, Marge Schott then became enamored with Castro as a possible shortstop caddie for Barry Larkin, who, as many of you also know, was also a Michigan alum. Michigan sport teams are nicknamed the Wolverines. Other Wolverine alums include C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, and Jennifer Grey. They were able to hold off Castro and other Cuban imports in the mountains of Colorado after they invaded the US in the mid-80's and shot their history teacher. (Not Castro's history teacher-- that would just be silly.) Anyway, after Schott received word that Castro was back, she asked Bowden to look into it. Castro was then signed to a two-year contract by Bowden's replacement's replacement, who, oddly enough, was not in the movie The Replacements, starring Keanu Reaves and Jon Favreau. In Keanu's other sports movie, Point Break, he played a former Ohio State quarterback who hurt his knee in Unnamed Bowl Game. One of Ohio State's colors is red, which is also the favorite color of both former Red Sox great Luis Tiant and Cuban dictator/ backup shortstop Fidel Castro. The Reds are the team Marty Brenamen does play-by-play for and he often uses the similiar phrase, "Titanic Struggle," which is really silly, because how hard is it, really, to hit an iceberg in the middle of a frozen ocean? I mean, it's right there and hardly moving. It's pretty easy to do that, so what's the deal with that? Right? Anyway, ice is simply frozen water and water covers 3/4 of the earth. Bronson Arroyo throws from a 3/4 delivery and he, incidentally, is also a former Boston Red Sox hurler much like, you guessed it, Calvin Schiraldi. Calvin Schiraldi is, as many of you may know, the basis for the former newspaper staple, Calvin and Hobbes. Hobbes is a tiger (not from Detroit, oddly enough, but from Walgreens) and is based on the character Roy Hobbs, from the movie, The Natural. The Reds have their own Natural in, again, you guessed it, Josh Hamilton. Josh Hamilton is a former Devil Ray. The Devils are in New Jersey and one of their colors is also red. Ray is my next door neighbor and not germane to this discussion.

Makes perfect sense, when you think about it...

rotnoid
03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Just to throw it out there, we could call reaction only threads, "How we lookin?"

savafan
03-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Actually, the name comes from the latin, for "similiar to Luis Tiant," who, as many of you may remember, was quite the pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. Too, Tiant's ancestry was Cuban and he, along with his family, fled Cuba when Fidel Castro came into power. And Castro, as we all know, once attempted to pitch for the Reds, but even Jim Bowden could see he leaned far too left(ist) in his delivery and was subsequently dealt back to Cuba for Tony Perez. Unbeknownst to Bowden, Marge Schott then became enamored with Castro as a possible shortstop caddie for Barry Larkin, who, as many of you also know, was also a Michigan alum. Michigan sport teams are nicknamed the Wolverines. Other Wolverine alums include C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, and Jennifer Grey. They were able to hold off Castro and other Cuban imports in the mountains of Colorado after they invaded the US in the mid-80's and shot their history teacher. (Not Castro's history teacher-- that would just be silly.) Anyway, after Schott received word that Castro was back, she asked Bowden to look into it. Castro was then signed to a two-year contract by Bowden's replacement's replacement, who, oddly enough, was not in the movie The Replacements, starring Keanu Reaves and Jon Favreau. In Keanu's other sports movie, Point Break, he played a former Ohio State quarterback who hurt his knee in Unnamed Bowl Game. One of Ohio State's colors is red, which is also the favorite color of both former Red Sox great Luis Tiant and Cuban dictator/ backup shortstop Fidel Castro. The Reds are the team Marty Brenamen does play-by-play for and he often uses the similiar phrase, "Titanic Struggle," which is really silly, because how hard is it, really, to hit an iceberg in the middle of a frozen ocean? I mean, it's right there and hardly moving. It's pretty easy to do that, so what's the deal with that? Right? Anyway, ice is simply frozen water and water covers 3/4 of the earth. Bronson Arroyo throws from a 3/4 delivery and he, incidentally, is also a former Boston Red Sox hurler much like, you guessed it, Calvin Schiraldi. Calvin Schiraldi is, as many of you may know, the basis for the former newspaper staple, Calvin and Hobbes. Hobbes is a tiger (not from Detroit, oddly enough, but from Walgreens) and is based on the character Roy Hobbs, from the movie, The Natural. The Reds have their own Natural in, again, you guessed it, Josh Hamilton. Josh Hamilton is a former Devil Ray. The Devils are in New Jersey and one of their colors is also red. Ray is my next door neighbor and not germane to this discussion.

Post of the year! :thumbup:

gonelong
03-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Holy Moses. I just checked this forum out. I cannot believe someone went through all the trouble of moving all the previous game thread posts to this forum! Shazam! I love it.

I just went to the ORG and RedsLive forums and did an order on replies and could instantly see what the biggest threads of the recent past have been, sheer nirvana (hey, its a slow day).

Thanks!

GL

Cyclone792
03-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Holy Moses. I just checked this forum out. I cannot believe someone went through all the trouble of moving all the previous game thread posts to this forum! Shazam! I love it.

I just went to the ORG and RedsLive forums and did an order on replies and could instantly see what the biggest threads of the recent past have been, sheer nirvana (hey, its a slow day).

Thanks!

GL

I'm with GL on this.

Not only is a separate forum for the Game Threads great, but many thanks go out to the mod (or mods) who moved all the past game threads into this forum. With the minor leaguers and now the game threads having their own forum, it should be much easier to search through various threads.

Thanks!

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Actually, that would be the HMHS Britannic. The Olympic was actually older than the Titanic. :)

So, which one did you enjoy riding on more?

Boss-Hog
03-26-2007, 07:08 AM

Thanks!

GL
That's exactly why it didn't take too long to move most of the game threads over - all I had to do was sort by most replies or views and move all the game threads over that way. :)

RFS62
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey Scrappy, thanks for clearing that up for me.

:beerme:

blumj
03-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Wasn't the Titatnic the ship that sank the same week Fentway Park opened?

gonelong
03-26-2007, 09:47 AM
That's exactly why it didn't take too long to move most of the game threads over - all I had to do was sort by most replies or views and move all the game threads over that way. :)

Thanks! The timing of my donation later this week will be purely coincidental. :)

GL

KronoRed
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Good work on the moves Boss :)

IslandRed
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Terrific idea. Thanks, Boss.

However, looking at all those old threads, I think we should require that game threads include the year in the thread title so we can easily tell the new ones from the old ones, especially when someone decides to do the "one year ago today" back-to-the-top.

Boss-Hog
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Terrific idea. Thanks, Boss.

However, looking at all those old threads, I think we should require that game threads include the year in the thread title so we can easily tell the new ones from the old ones, especially when someone decides to do the "one year ago today" back-to-the-top.
That works for me.

Always Red
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM

So Scrap, I'm confused: did Marge think that Castro was good in the beginning, and then he just went too far?

Ron Madden
03-28-2007, 04:04 AM
I'm confused too somebody sure thought Castro was good in the beginnig.

I've heard his problem has always been he could never range too far. :confused: