PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated

SMcGavin
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure if you all have seen the SI baseball preview, but they picked the Reds as the 27th best team in the league. In the extremely well-written article I also learned that "Mark" Belisle will be the 5th starter of the "Cincinatti" Reds this season. Not that it means anything but I thought it was interesting to see the complete lack of caring SI put into the Reds' preview.

Redleg39
03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, were going to finish last in the central supposedly. I don't understand how they made their prediction. we were 80-82 last year, and it' not like we lost 6 starters in the field.

KittyDuran
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
"Mark" Belisle will be the 5th starter of the "Cincinatti" Reds this season.:ughmamoru

bucksfan
03-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I actually thought I read it as "Mike" Belisle - still no better though.
And most of those previews were pretty lame that I read. I do enjoy a rather generic roster preview of each team, as I really don't have time to keep up on all the teams and roster changes ove rthe winter, etc, but the SI one ain't it...

smith288
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Preseason previews are stupid. The only recent preseason poll that was close was Ohio States basketball team.

George Anderson
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
When I was younger I used to get infuriated when a magazine picked the Reds to finish poorly. Now I am basically as concerned with what these magazines say as I am with what rerun of "King of Queens" is on tonight.

bucksfan2
03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Isnt this the same magazine that predicted the dolphins to make the super bowl this season?

redsfanmia
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
S I is a joke, the only sports magazine worse is ESPN the magazine which I have never subscribed to or paid for but still gets delivered every other week to my house.

Mario-Rijo
03-28-2007, 04:55 PM
S I is a joke, the only sports magazine worse is ESPN the magazine which I have never subscribed to or paid for but still gets delivered every other week to my house.

You've got ESPNinsider too huh!? I have a stack problaby 10 feet high that I haven't even cracked open. I think I may have perused the NFL season preview and maybe last years baseball preview. Other than that they can have that rag!

bucksfan
03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I must admit I do enjoy some of the articles in SI (depending on the author/subject matter), but as far as their previews and the like I agree it's garbage. In general I like their articles that are truly trying to inform and tell a story, not the expose' type things they seem to try to pull off every so often.

For me though there is still a place for a nice concise baseball preview in hardcopy form showing projected 25 man rosters/starters/rotation/etc and notable minor leaguers. But as I said before, that wouldn't be SI.

redsfanmia
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
You've got ESPNinsider too huh!? I have a stack problaby 10 feet high that I haven't even cracked open. I think I may have perused the NFL season preview and maybe last years baseball preview. Other than that they can have that rag!

I do have espn insider but I have not paid for it for 2 years and yet I still get the access and that cruddy magazine. I take mine to the YMCA at leave it in the sauna so someone gets some use of it.

marcshoe
03-28-2007, 09:45 PM
We need competition! I know they're completely different animals, but when I get rich (hey, I'm working on a teaching certificate, so untold wealth is just around the corner!), I am going to buy the rights to both Sport and Inside Sports and put them both back into circulation.

durl
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a free subscription to SI a couple of years ago. I had NO problem letting it expire.

I believe SI really "jumped the shark" with their recent Global Warming issue. They're done.

Hoosier Red
03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Just curious Durl, did you read that issue?

I'm curious as to why Sports Illustrated shouldn't write about how a much talked about issue would have an impact on sports. Isn't that the basic point of the magazine?

durl
03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I didn't read the issue but I did hear some excerpts from it.

Going into too much detail on why I felt that way about the issue would cause the thread to be closed. Global warming is probably the largest political issue of the day (when it should be a scientific one) so it doesn't belong on the cover of a sports magazine. The editors were just capitalizing on the hype.