PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Tips

RedsRock
03-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Hey all,

I thought the time was right to take my 8 year old to his first Opening Day. I figure any kid who is a Reds fan needs to skip school at least once to make the trip.

We are coming down from Columbus, and need some info on the parking situation. Normally, we exit at Third and park along the river in a lot at the corner of Third and Pete Rose Way, I believe (about a 10 minute walk). But, with it being Opening Day, not sure if that will be an option. We plan on arriving around 10 or 10:30.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. We were thinking about seeing the parade, is that worth it?

Thanks!

rotnoid
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey all,

I thought the time was right to take my 8 year old to his first Opening Day. I figure any kid who is a Reds fan needs to skip school at least once to make the trip.

We are coming down from Columbus, and need some info on the parking situation. Normally, we exit at Third and park along the river in a lot at the corner of Third and Pete Rose Way, I believe (about a 10 minute walk). But, with it being Opening Day, not sure if that will be an option. We plan on arriving around 10 or 10:30.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. We were thinking about seeing the parade, is that worth it?

Thanks!

The parade is definitely worth it, especially for an 8 year old. Might as well take in the whole experience. We generally watch from somewhere just east of Fountain Square. It's the end of the route so it takes longer to start, but you're closer to the stadium when it's over.

As for parking, by that time of the morning I'd take the first thing you can get, but I'm not very patient. Parking under the fountain or under the Westin is probably the best combination of cheap/close, but by that time of the morning streets are starting to close.

bucksfan2
03-28-2007, 10:00 AM
What do you want to spend for parking? If I dont have a pass I will usually park by sawyer point. Its cheaper and it isn't too far of a walk. Last year was a mess with the president but this year should be ok security wise. If you arrive that early you shouldn't have a problem with anything.

George Anderson
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
On the same subject are there any watering holes within walking distance on the Cincinnati side of the stadium anymore?? Also are kids allowed inside?

Chip R
03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Don't park downtown unless you get there the night before or early that morning. I can't stress this enough. Parking spaces will be few and far between and you'll have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

minus5
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I would suggest parking at Newport On The Levee and take the shuttle over. They run every few minutes and saves you the hassle of looking for a downtown parking spot and paying out the nose for one.

bucksfan2
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
On the same subject are there any watering holes within walking distance on the Cincinnati side of the stadium anymore?? Also are kids allowed inside?

If you park in newport, which is about a 10-15 minute walk you can go to the Hofbrau house which I know they allow kids. Gameday Cafe is nice and only a 5 minute walk from the stadium but I dont know if they allow kids. You can also check out rock bottom brewery but that is in fountain square and it may be crowded especially with the parade.

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
I never have a problem finding parking on Opening Day. If I can't find it on a side street (east), then I park under FSquare or the Weston, even though it costs more of course (it's only $1 after 6 pm and weekends).

Ltlabner
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
My father and I were going to head down early (ie. 8:00ish) and park under Fountain Square. Then we'd go get a big breakfast, catch the parade, bumb around and then eventually see an opening day baseball game.

8:00ish early enough to get a spot under fountain square?

rotnoid
03-28-2007, 07:44 PM
My father and I were going to head down early (ie. 8:00ish) and park under Fountain Square. Then we'd go get a big breakfast, catch the parade, bumb around and then eventually see an opening day baseball game.

8:00ish early enough to get a spot under fountain square?

It should be, but be prepared to wait. Most of the river front lots that the downtown workforce park in are closed, so they'll all be headed for the fountain as well. When we go down that early, we generally park at Sawyer Point. It's a bit of a walk to the parade, but it's usually pretty cheap and is an easy exit after the game.

redsmetz
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I never have a problem finding parking on Opening Day. If I can't find it on a side street (east), then I park under FSquare or the Weston, even though it costs more of course (it's only $1 after 6 pm and weekends).

I almost always park at the Federated Building between Sixth & Seventh St (on Vine). Cheapest parking in the city. Another Federated Garage is over by the Cathedral, just a couple blocks north of the Convention Center. Both are very affordable.

BEETTLEBUG
03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
What is the cost to park at Newport on the Levee

KittyDuran
03-28-2007, 09:45 PM
What is the cost to park at Newport on the LeveeIIRC it's anywhere between $3-$5.

BEETTLEBUG
03-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks KittyDuran. How far is it from Newport on the Levee and Hooters? Maybe park there and ride Ferry across to game.

Wordman306
03-29-2007, 12:12 AM
It's only about a ten minute walk, but it's safer and easier to walk along the river. Just go down the steps to the bottom of the floodwall.

BEETTLEBUG
03-29-2007, 12:21 AM
THANKS WORDman 306

TeamBoone
03-29-2007, 12:48 AM
IIRC it's anywhere between $3-$5.

Doesn't the levy charge by the hour?

NastyBoy
03-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Doesn't the levy charge by the hour?

They will charge $5 for the full day. It is the best deal for paid parking for Opening Day. If you want FREE parking, you could park in Covington on the street and walk across the beautiful Roebling bridge.

BEETTLEBUG
03-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Which is safer Newport orCovington as far as parking?

minus5
03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
If you park at The Levee, you can just park in the garage. Very safe. You catch the shuttle busses right in front of the Levee and if you get there early enough, I'm sure that Gameworks (The kids will love Gameworks) or some of the other places probably have some deals and festivities going on before hand. Also, if you park in the garage it is for the full day not by the hour.

SunDeck
03-29-2007, 02:04 PM
If it's a nice morning, you could probably park uptown a bit and walk down. And you'd probably be within easy walking distance of the parade route. One garage that I use a lot is on west eighth, just west of Vine street. It's a city garage.
That's about a 10-15 minute walk to GABP. And although I haven't seen the route, my guess is it goes down Race, which is the next street to the west.

Maybe this (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/entsrv/pages/-4935-/) will help.