PDA

View Full Version : 3/28/07 Game Thread vs. the Pirates... again...

IamWallaman
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Reds:
Hamilton CF
Gonzalez SS
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Conine 1B
Ross C
Castro 2B
Harang P

Pirates:
Duffy CF
Wilson SS
Bay LF
LaRoche 1B
Nady RF
Castillo 3B
Don Kelly 2B
Cota C
Duke P

We're almost there! :D

BRM
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Looks like Narron is following the Brennaman's advice and batting Gonzo 2nd.

shredda2000
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Hamilton CF
Gonzalez SS
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Conine 1B
Ross C
Castro 2B
Harang P

We're almost there! :D

The ALTERNATE opening day lineup :devil:

Raisor
03-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Gonzo batting 2nd, even in spring training, should get Narron fired.

BRM
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Gonzo batting 2nd, even in spring training, should get Narron fired.

I hear he's the best "hit and run" guy on the team.

IamWallaman
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
The ALTERNATE opening day lineup :devil:

Hamilton CF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Conine 1B
Ross C
Gonzalez SS
Harang P

Just this minor adjustment and I'm game. :thumbup:

flyer85
03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Looks like Narron is following the Brennaman's advice and batting Gonzo 2nd.Marty is the expert. His appeal to authority last night was to use the opinion of another "knowledgeable" broadcaster.

To be fair it was Thom that started beating the bat Gonzo 2nd drum last night. Marty just joined the parade.

BRM
03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I have no doubt we will see Gonzo's name in the 2 slot quite a bit this season.

NatiRedGals
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Hamilton CF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Conine 1B
Ross C
Gonzalez SS
Harang P

Just this minor adjustment and I'm game. :thumbup:

I argee and Hatte in for Conine! Or spice it up a bit so freel can be in the game also Dunn plays first and Freel in left:laugh:

Always Red
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Marty is the expert. His appeal to authority last night was to use the opinion of another "knowledgeable" broadcaster.

To be fair it was Thom that started beating the bat Gonzo 2nd drum last night. Marty just joined the parade.

I'm trying to remember, did Thom say it would be "criminal" to bat Gonzo 7th or 8th, or was that just me thinking it was criminal for Thom to make a case for him batting 2nd??
:confused:

flyer85
03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I argee and Hatte in for Conine! Or spice it up a bit so freel can be in the game also Dunn plays first and Freel in left:laugh:or put Freel at 3rd and EE at 1B.

Over the course of the season the offense of Conine/Hatty is likely to be a blackhole for the 1b position. Neither is up to the task to provide the level of offense needed from the primo slugging position on a team that is likely to be offensively challenged.

BRM
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm trying to remember, did Thom say it would be "criminal" to bat Gonzo 7th or 8th, or was that just me thinking it was criminal for Thom to make a case for him batting 2nd??
:confused:

What's criminal is Gonzo batting anywhere but 8th.

IslandRed
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
What's criminal is Gonzo batting anywhere but 8th.

You'd rather have Castro hitting above him today? :p:

Yeah, I know, I'd rather not see us have them both in the lineup either.

BRM
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM
You'd rather have Castro hitting above him today? :p:

Yeah, I know, I'd rather not see us have them both in the lineup either.

Yeah, given the eight guys out there today, Gonzo probably isn't all that bad a choice.

BRM
03-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Here's the Pirates lineup per C. Trent:

Duffy CF
Wilson SS
Bay LF
LaRoche 1B
Nady RF
Castillo 3B
Don Kelly 2B
Cota C
Duke P

pedro
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Given the players in the mix (castro, conine) I don't think that's too bad.

vaticanplum
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I am so freaking sick of the Pirates, and the season hasn't even started yet.

Puffy
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Given the players in the mix (castro, conine) I don't think that's too bad.

Really?? You don't think the logical order is

Hamilton
Dunn
EdE
Griffey
Conine
Ross
Gonzalez
Castro

I mean its spring training so I can give a crap but to say this "isn't bad" considereing the people when a clearly superior option is available, well, I gotta disagree.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM

Hamilton
Dunn
EdE
Griffey
Conine
Ross
Gonzalez
Castro

I mean its spring training so I can give a crap but to say this "isn't bad" considereing the people when a clearly superior option is available, well, I gotta disagree.with the lack of offensive talent in that lineup I'm not sure it matters. Unless Dunn has a huge year this is going to be a woeful offensive team(and still might be even if he does).

pedro
03-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Hamilton
Dunn
EdE
Griffey
Conine
Ross
Gonzalez
Castro

I mean its spring training so I can give a crap but to say this "isn't bad" considereing the people when a clearly superior option is available, well, I gotta disagree.

I like yours better but I just don't think it's that big a deal. I certainly don't want to see Gonzo batting second more than occasionally, but given that he and Castro are in the lineup at the same time I have to have some concern about bunching that suck fest together too.

Chip R
03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I am so freaking sick of the Pirates, and the season hasn't even started yet.

So, we're not going to see you at that first weekend series then? ;)

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey, I love playing the Pirates. They aren't that good.

Even though I called them out on my blog as a possible darkhorse. Why? Lots of young players that might improve, plus Jason Bay is a good hitter.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Just to spite FCB, Jerry Narron doesn't criticize Kyle Lohse's start yesterday too much. He says Burrell's homer was just guesswork.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Narron says the rotation debate is whether Eric Milton is going to be in the #4 or #5 hole. Not whether he'll be in the rotation at all.

BRM
03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Narron says the rotation debate is whether Eric Milton is going to be in the #4 or #5 hole. Not whether he'll be in the rotation at all.

Not surprising. He hasn't even earned a bullpen role but he's going into the rotation regardless. Like flyer said, there are caveats to winning.

Joseph
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Please at least make him the 5 and skip him at every chance.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:02 PM

They might at least do that. But I wasn't against the idea (http://www.redsandblues.com/?p=253#more-253) of giving him a handful of April starts, then calling a meeting and making the best decision possible.

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Why is the opposing lineup being omitted lately on the game threads?

Just curious, because I kind of like to know who's playing for the other team as well.

pedro
03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Thom just called Marty "dad"

Just sounds weird

BRM
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Just curious, because I kind of like to know who's playing for the other team as well.

I added it on post 15.

Duffy CF
Wilson SS
Bay LF
LaRoche 1B
Nady RF
Castillo 3B
Don Kelly 2B
Cota C
Duke P

pedro
03-28-2007, 01:06 PM

b/c people are taking the lineups from trent's blog

I hope that when the season starts people either wait until both lineups are posted or at least update the first post to include both.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Thom just called Marty "dad"

Just sounds weird

Well....it is his dad...what should he call him? :)

pedro
03-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Marty.

I work with my Dad and I don't call him Dad in work settings.

It's not big deal, it just sounds odd.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 01:07 PM
The "Milton" issue is that it is obvious to everyone that the odds of him succeeding as a starter are extremely low. The Reds are trying to find their way out of the PR nightmare of sending a bad pitcher out there to start solely because he has a fat salary.

If they chuck Milton before the season starts they will show, that as organization, they have turned a corner.

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Thom said during the very first game that he would call his father "Dad" because "how many kids call their parents by their first name?".

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Marty.

I work with my Dad and I don't call him Dad in work settings.

It's not big deal, it just sounds odd.

He does it every time he refers to Marty. I think it's officially part of the Brennaman & Sons Act.

IamWallaman
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
b/c people are taking the lineups from trent's blog

I hope that when the season starts people either wait until both lineups are posted or at least update the first post to include both.

Done.

Always Red
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM

I like that Thom calls him "Dad." Like Thom said at the very first ST broadcast "I've called him Dad my entire life, why should I call him something different now?" Makes perfect sense to me.

I hope they're both more optomistic today!!:D

rotnoid
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
The "Milton" issue is that it is obvious to everyone that the odds of him succeeding as a starter are extremely low. The Reds are trying to find their way out of the PR nightmare of sending a bad pitcher out there to start solely because he has a fat salary.

If they chuck Milton before the season starts they will show, that as organization, they have turned a corner.

Just my opinion, but things like this are pretty easy to say when it's somebody else's $9 million. I agree that he's not going to succeed, but in a business sense, they have to at least trot him out there a few times and hope things get better and can get some return on the investment.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Marty making excuses for the error of "the best defensive SS" numerous people have ever seen.

pedro
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
He does it every time he refers to Marty. I think it's officially part of the Brennaman & Sons Act.

Do they do birthday parties?

I'd like to see them criticize a kid trying to blow out the candles and then call in the veteran to "get it done right" ;)

flyer85
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Just my opinion, but things like this are pretty easy to say when it's somebody else's $9 million. I agree that he's not going to succeed, but in a business sense, they have to at least trot him out there a few times and hope things get better and can get some return on the investment.when baseball trumps "business" we will know this orgainization is focused solely on winning. Until that time there are caveats.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Just my opinion, but things like this are pretty easy to say when it's somebody else's $9 million. I agree that he's not going to succeed, but in a business sense, they have to at least trot him out there a few times and hope things get better and can get some return on the investment.

Besides, Milton did offer some rays of hope last season when he wasn't injured, doing well enough to at least approximate a serviceable #5 pitcher. But that's as far as I go.

I think we can be relatively assured that Milton won't be allowed to tromp out there every five days and replicate his 2005 season, though.

rotnoid
03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
when baseball trumps "business" we will know this orgainization is focused solely on winning. Until that time there are caveats.

No arguments on that, but $9 mill is still a lot of change.

EddieMilner
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM

No in a business sense this is a "Sunk Cost". You aren't recouping it. Chalk it up to a bad idea, and move on. They have to pay the money to him no matter what (unless some other team takes him) why lose as well?

flyer85
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
No arguments on that, but $9 mill is still a lot of change.didn't say it wasn't. If Milton goes out there to start the season we will still know that there are some costs this organization isn't willing to absorb in order to win. It will simply be "business as usual".

Doc. Scott
Do they do birthday parties?

I'd like to see them criticize a kid trying to blow out the candles and then call in the veteran to "get it done right" ;)

Well, I don't find the "dad" thing shtick-y on its own. I do find some of their other stuff, especially the way they egg each other on to new heights of pithiness, to be grating.

Thom's great when he calls the action, but he'll suddenly shout out (usually his voice raises considerably in volume) some opinion as some sort of grand pronouncement at the slightest provocation. That's the other thing that really bugs me so far.

pedro
I think this Hip Hop-era commercial might drive me nuts pretty soon.

pedro
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, I don't find the "dad" thing shtick-y on its own. I do find some of their other stuff, especially the way they egg each other on to new heights of pithiness, to be grating.

Thom's great when he calls the action, but he'll suddenly shout out (usually his voice raises considerably in volume) some opinion as some sort of grand pronouncement at the slightest provocation. That's the other thing that really bugs me so far.

Like Marty, he does have a great voice though.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
I think this Hip Hop-era commercial might drive me nuts pretty soon.

That's for Shizzle....

VR
03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
They might at least do that. But I wasn't against the idea (http://www.redsandblues.com/?p=253#more-253) of giving him a handful of April starts, then calling a meeting and making the best decision possible.

The voice of reason speaks. No wonder you are a 'doc'.

Reds Fanatic
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I am at work and can't listen but here is a recap of the first inning from Yahoo's page:

Top 1st: Pittsburgh
- C. Duffy grounded out to second
- J. Wilson safe at first on A. Gonzalez's fielding error
- J. Bay fouled out to first
- A. LaRoche grounded out to second

0 runs, 0 hits, 1 errors
Pittsburgh 0, Cincinnati 0

Bottom 1st: Cincinnati
- J. Hamilton flied out to center
- A. Gonzalez flied out to right
- A. Dunn struck out swinging

0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors
Pittsburgh 0, Cincinnati 0

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Like Marty, he does have a great voice though.

Like I said, he has this tendency to suddenly increase his volume in the middle of a series of thoughts (and not due to some action happening on the field). I'm hoping this is just acoustical effects from the shabbier broadcast booths in spring training or something. I don't remember him doing it on TV.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
The voice of reason speaks. No wonder you are a 'doc'.

There's still a significant risk that a 0-3, 9.00 April from Milton will help the Reds dig a 2005-sized early-season hole. But nothing, not even releasing Uncle M and bringing up Sidd Finch, is without some sort of risk for that.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Marty raises the issue of who the last pitcher in the rotation will be beyond Harang/Arroyo/Lohse/Milton- Saarloos, Livingston, or Belisle?

Livingston and Belisle have options. Saarloos has a track record in relief. My hunch is that Livingston is going down to AAA no matter what (given that he's the youngest and has pitched pretty mediocrely in past AAA stints) and that it's basically a call between Belisle as a starter and Dutch Boy in the 'pen or Matt going to AAA and Kirk starting.

As the season starts and people commence with excelling, sucking, or getting hurt, then, there's a fair amount of flexibility that comes with having Belisle and Saarloos both able to start and relieve.

Taking bets now.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Marty raises the issue of who the last pitcher in the rotation will be beyond Harang/Arroyo/Lohse/Milton- Saarloos, Livingston, or Belisle?

If the team had any sense, the rotation would be Harang / Arroyo / Belisle / Saarloos / Lohse.

PuffyPig
03-28-2007, 01:35 PM

You know, you can skip any starter (#1,2,3,4,5) anytime you want if his spot comes up during an off day. In other words, even if Milton is at #4, you can still skip him.

The initial rotation # is actually pretty meaningless in the long run.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey, Junior works a walk. I'd really like it if his plate discipline quit heading down Biggio Boulevard and reverted to where it was a few years ago.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
If the team had any sense, the rotation would be Harang / Arroyo / Belisle / Saarloos / Lohse.

Well, that's very well where it might end up after my little mythical Meeting of the Minds come about May first.

NJReds
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Pirates get on the board in the top of the second - 1-0 Bucs:
Top 2nd: Pittsburgh
- X. Nady singled to left
- J. Castillo singled to second, X. Nady to second
- D. Kelly struck out swinging
- H. Cota singled to shallow right, X. Nady scored, J. Castillo to third
- Z. Duke grounded into double play second to first to second, H. Cota out at second

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Hamilton attempts to throw out Chris Duffy on a sacrifice fly, but this one's a two-bouncer and Duffy's safe. Thom says it's the mound getting in the way that causes the throw from center to be so tough.

Chip R
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I thought Nady was hurt. Something wrong in the groinal area?

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Marty about Hamilton: "Best defensive outfielder on this team, that kid in Centerfield."

Always Red
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Marty about Hamilton: "Best defensive outfielder on this team, that kid in Centerfield."

There's a new "Kid" in town...

George Anderson
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Wow, Marty is really going out on a limb on that one. Next thing you know he will say Harang and Arroyo are the top two pitchers on the team.:D

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Hamilton gets another hit....off a fastball in on his hands.

Freel update: X-rays on his ribs, and X-rays were negative.

Chip R
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Hamilton gets another hit....off a fastball in on his hands.

I heard they X-Rayed his head and it too came out negative. ;)

PuffyPig
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Hamilton attempts to throw out Chris Duffy on a sacrifice fly, but this one's a two-bouncer and Duffy's safe. Thom says it's the mound getting in the way that causes the throw from center to be so tough.

I thought Nady scored on a single?

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Well, of course, Hamilton hasn't committed any high-profile screwups yet.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 01:54 PM

No idea. Not doing PBP today due to work, just chiming in where I can.

NJReds
03-28-2007, 01:55 PM

It's 2-0 Pirates now after 3 innings.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Harang giving up a lot of hits again, today...

VR
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM

That's a good start, when are Farney's X-ray results expected?

texasdave
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
That's a good start, when are Farney's X-ray results expected?

Farney opted for an MRI. Those generally take a little longer to get the results.

VR
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Interesting to see Griff batting 5th today. I would love to see that more often.

I don't recall him ever batting 5th in a game.....but he has 13 ab's over the last three years in that spot, and is Opsing 1.506 w/ three dingers. :)

GoReds
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
From the blog...

"Harang doesn't seem to be fooling the Pirates though. They're hitting the ball pretty hard."

I'm starting to get a little worried about Mr. Harang.

Chip R
03-28-2007, 02:06 PM
From the blog...

"Harang doesn't seem to be fooling the Pirates though. They're hitting the ball pretty hard."

I'm starting to get a little worried about Mr. Harang.

If my calculations are correct, Aaron will pitch the Saturday game against the Bucs. Perhaps he doesn't want to show them a lot since he'll be facing them in a little more than a week.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm starting to get a little worried about Mr. Harang.don't. At least not yet. One Mr Arroyo got beat around last year in ST. His season turned out pretty well.

Harangs BPIs are fine, he is just suffering from an extremely high BABIP.

Rotater Cuff
03-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Perhaps he doesn't want to show them a lot since he'll be facing them in a little more than a week.

No problem. He's certainly not showing them much except fat baseballs yearning to be set free.

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:19 PM
From the blog:

Bottom 4th

Dunn proves correct my story (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/SPT05/703280330/1035/SPT) from this morning with a single through the right side. Then Encarnacion hits and then Griffey hits an RBI single. Uh-oh, a Reds rally!! Conine a single through the right side but McLouth guns down Encarnacion at the plate. Four hits, one run. Pirates 2, Redlegs 1

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Another update:

Single by Bay, single by McLouth, double by Castillo drives in Bay. Pirates 3, Reds 1

TeamBoone
I don't buy Marty's arguement about management not being able to have it both ways (not being concerned about Harang because it's ST and he's trying things vs the gush over how well Hamilton is playing in the spring).

IMHO, management is right about both. Perhaps Aaron is just getting the kinks out, perhaps he really is trying new things (unsuccessfully). And Hamilton's play IS something to gush over considering he hasn't played the game in three years!

CTA513
Arroyo got knocked around last spring and had a pretty good season.

*edit* it was Arroyo not Harang.

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Harang also got knocked around last spring and his season turned out pretty good.

Harang actually pitched pretty well last spring. Arroyo is the one who got knocked around.

M2
03-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Harang struggled in his first few major league starts last year, which is probably what people remember.

CTA513
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't buy Marty's arguement about management not being able to have it both ways (not being concerned about Harang because it's ST and he's trying things vs the gush over how well Hamilton is playing in the spring).

IMHO, management is right about both. Perhaps Aaron is just getting the kinks out, perhaps he really is trying new things (unsuccessfully). And Hamilton's play IS something to gush over considering he hasn't played the game in three years!

Harang seems to be throwing a ton of fastballs this spring, probably not wanting to show all of his pitches off early. If I remember correctly Arroyo only threw fastballs and change ups in his last start, that way he wouldnt be showing off his breaking ball to a team he would be facing a lot.

GoReds
03-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Not saying that I'm REALLY worried about Harang, but they gave Harang a new contract and annointed him as the staff ace - kinda like giving him the keys to the Ferrari.

And we saw what that sort of power did to the Undercover Brother when he was given the keys to the Ferrari.

Just sayin...

http://media.komotv.com/images/070327_wrecked_enzo.jpg

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Bottom 5:

Janish in for Harangataun. Harang's line: 5 IP, 10 hits, 3 runs. Janish flies out to right, and when the crowd is informed his play doesn't count in baseball bingo, the fans begin to boo. Not a decision that was well-received. Pirates 3, Reds 1

VR
03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Harang actually pitched pretty well last spring. Arroyo is the one who got knocked around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=cin&type=pitch&year=2006

pedro
saarloos pitching

edit: my bad, it's santos.

Matt700wlw
I think Santos is pitching...

Always Red
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Harang struggled in his first few major league starts last year, which is probably what people remember.

Yeah,, like 5 runs in the first inning on Opening Day last year.

Spring training games and numbers are important for some guys and not important for others. A lot of guys are basically trying out, and for them, this is the closest they'll get to seeing if they've got what it takes to play in the major leagues. Coutlangus, Belisle, Livingston, Burton adn Hamilton come to mind. For others, it's a chance to prove that they still have it- Milton, Bellhorn, Bubba come to mind (none of them have it anymore). For established vets, it's the season ot condition, loosen up, try something different, and prepare mentally for the season. I think that's what we're seeing out of Harang today. He's struck out a lot of guys this spring, so he's got something going for him. My hunch is that he's not throwing much breaking stuff yet, and guys are timing his FB.

CTA513
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM

My bad, I could have sworn I saw Harang with the 6+ ERA last spring and instead it was Arroyo.

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=cin&type=pitch&year=2006

Harang had a 2.84 ERA, Arroyo 6.84.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
:dunn:

:jump:

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
HRs are overrated... hah!

Matt700wlw
:ede:

:jump:

pedro

Spring training games and numbers are important for some guys and not important for others. A lot of guys are basically trying out, and for them, this is the closest they'll get to seeing if they've got what it takes to play in the major leagues. Coutlangus, Belisle, Livingston, Burton adn Hamilton come to mind. For others, it's a chance to prove that they still have it- Milton, Bellhorn, Bubba come to mind (none of them have it anymore). For established vets, it's the season ot condition, loosen up, try something different, and prepare mentally for the season. I think that's what we're seeing out of Harang today. He's struck out a lot of guys this spring, so he's got something going for him. My hunch is that he's not throwing much breaking stuff yet, and guys are timing his FB.

Harang hasn't walked too many guys either. They have a name for throwing nothing but fastballs over the plate. It's called batting practice.

I'm not too worried about him. I think he's just trying to get his arm in shape.

reds44
back to back?

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:39 PM
back to back?

Yes.

Bottom 6th

Homer by Dunn to the opposite field. Then a bomb by Encarnacion over the center field wall. Everybody seems to be perking up at this point. Tied 3-3

M2
back to back?

Who knows, maybe Matt just likes bouncing smileys.

CTA513

Thats what it sounds like when C. Trent Rosecrans talked to Harang after the game he pitched against the Devil Rays:

From C. Trent Rosecrans blog:

Talked to Harang after the game. He said the Devil Rays were really aggressive and slapping at the first pitch they saw. That's why he had a tough second inning. In the third, he said he threw nothing but curveballs and sliders, and the Devils Rays went 1-2-3. Also, Narron said he's never seen an umpire call balls and strikes from behind the pitcher's mound. Said he thought maybe the view was better back there.

texasdave
03-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Homer by Dunn to the opposite field.:beerme:

CTA513
03-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Harang now finished the spring with a 6.66 ERA.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Dunn/EE/Jr really need to be the 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup. It is a no-brainer.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Harang now finished the spring with a 6.66 ERA.

:devil:

VR
03-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I really think Dunner is going to go off this year. I like his strong start in ST, but he's obviously got a completely different approach both in the field and at the dish.

After reading about the situation last year with pending fatherhood and marriage, I forgive his lousy second half, completely.

Throw in the other components (Jacoby, lower expectations, another year of maturity, being in the 2-hole(?), a better all-around team, ) and he's poised to punish the league.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Harang now finished the spring with a 6.66 ERA.the :devil: spawn, he is.

Puffy
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Dunn/EE/Jr really need to be the 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup. It is a no-brainer.

Or 2, 3, 4.

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:54 PM

You're probably going to have to settle for 2, 4, 5.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'd really like Dunn hitting second. Given his issues with contact, having a guy who doesn't hit into double plays much (because he doesn't put as many balls in play) and sees a lot of pitches (good for Freel or whoever his batting leadoff) is a good fit. Plus, there's a maximum chance the #3 and #4 guys, hopefully EdE and Junior, are going to come up with at least one runner on base.

Plus it has the secondary effect of shutting up our broadcasters a bit.

BRM
03-28-2007, 02:58 PM
redsupport will be proud:

Top 7th

Valentin now at first, Godwin now in left, Enrique Cruz at 3B, Strait now at RF. Helluva play by Janish to get whoever is batting in LaRoche's spot. Goes to his left and fires a strike to Valentin to get whoever it was running down the first base line. McCluth strikes out and his bat goes flying down the right field line into the stands. I think it made it past the first base line. An impressive toss. Hope everyone is OK down there. Another inning, another bagel for Santos. OK, going to get Harang. Tied 3-3

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I thought Wise had been cut or was injured or something.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Now 6-3 Reds after a popup by DeWayne Wise falls in for a single.

He gets picked off immediately.

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Majic to pitch the 8th.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Cold, late night so long ago
when I was not so strong you know
A pretty man came to me
I never seen eyes so blue
You know, I could not run away it seemed
we'd seen each other in a dream
Seemed like he knew me....he looked right through me....yeah

"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile
"you don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile
But try to understand...try to understand
Try, try, try to understand.....I'm a Majik (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/majewga01.shtml) man."

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/drscott46/virgin.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/drscott46/1924.gif

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Moeller is clutch.

Bottom 7: What's a Pirate's favorite radio station? N-P-Arrrrrrggghhh!!! SoftJ walks to start the inning. Tyrell Godwin up to bat (I think). Godwin (I think) singles. Chad Moeller pinch-hitting for Santos, who threw yet another scoreless outing. 2-run double for NGITW. And another reminder that the pinch-hitter doesn't participate in baseball bingo. More boos. Javy up now. JAvy grounds out, Dewayne Wise up. Enrique Cruz on deck. Wise bloops one into left, 6-3 Redlegs. DWise picked off. 1-3-4-1. Redlegs 6, Pirates 3

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:17 PM
How's the 8th going for Majic?

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Got out of the inning with the help of a blooper that landed just foul and a vicious liner caught. Scoreless.

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like Javy may have made a nice play at 1B.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
We head to the ninth, Reds still up 6-3.

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Bottom 8 recap from the blog:

Bottom 8: Cruz grounds out, Cody Strait up now. He grounds out, 6-3. Now Drew Anderson is batting. Infield single for Anderson, who hit a dribbler down the third base line. Jeff Bannon pinch-hitting for Majewski. And remember, ladies and gentlemen, the pinch hitter does not participate in baseball bingo. Bannon flies out. Reds 6, Pirates 3

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Jared Burton pitching for Cincinnati in the ninth.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Burton strikes out someone named Hernandez on a changeup. Brad Eldred, nemesis of Todd Coffey, steps in.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Eldred gaps one for a double.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Liner up the middle, base hit, but the monstrous Eldred is held at third.

Nate McLouth is the tying run.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Wayyy up and in for a ball to McLouth. Taken strike, 1-1. High fly ball to left-center, and THE LF DROPS IT! Error and sacrifice fly. 6-4 Reds.

Tyrell Godwin... not so good.

First and third, one out. Called strike to the next batter. Inside, 1-1. In the dirt, 2-1. Couple of fouls. SWING AND A MISS! Two outs.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
2B Don Kelly (1-4) hopefully the last batter of this one.

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
LA MAQUINA LATINA DEL AMOR TIENE GUSTO DE UN GATO!

Reds win, 6-4.

BRM
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Kelly smokes one down the first base line, but Valentin makes his second great defensive play of the game, snaring the ball right by the bag and ending the game

Who would've guessed Javy was such a defensive wizard at 1B?

flyer85
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
LA MAQUINA LATINA DEL AMOR TIENE GUSTO DE UN GATO!I don't speak French.

flyer85
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Who would've guessed Javy was such a defensive wizard at 1B?amazing what can happen when you put your glove down. :D

oneupper
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
LA MAQUINA LATINA DEL AMOR TIENE GUSTO DE UN GATO!

Reds win, 6-4.

The Latin Love Machine has the taste of a cat?

Does he like Little Friskies or something?

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
The Latin Love Machine has the taste of a cat?

Does he like Little Friskies or something?

Babelfish tends to be sort of literal in its translations.

Chip R
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't speak French.

Dude, that's not French. It's Latin. What are you, ignorant? ;)

shredda2000
03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
E questo appartiene ai colori rossi!

Doc. Scott
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't speak French.

LA MACHINE LATINE DE L'AMOUR A GOÛT D'UN CHAT!

flyer85
03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Dude, that's not French. It's Latin. What are you, ignorant? ;)I didn't say it was French. :D

red-in-la
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM

Hamilton
Dunn
EdE
Griffey
Conine
Ross
Gonzalez
Castro

Here is what the Opening Day line up SHOULD BE.....I restart the controversy....

Hamilton - CF
Freel - LF
Dunn - 1B
Encarncion - 3B
Griffey - RF
Phillips - 2B
Ross - C
Gonzalez - SS

THIS would be the best 8 players on the field and would give the Reds a decent amount of speed in the line up.....not seen since the days of Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Mariano Duncan, etc.

Now, you could put Griffey at 1B and Freel in RF and leave Dunn in the outfield if you prefer.....but this team is NOT going to jell until players are told to play the positions that make the team better instead of making a line up out where some players say, "I don't like playing there."

flyer85
03-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Here is what the Opening Day line up SHOULD BE.....I restart the controversy....

Hamilton - CF
Freel - LF
Dunn - 1B
Encarncion - 3B
Griffey - RF
Phillips - 2B
Ross - C
Gonzalez - SS

THIS would be the best 8 players on the field want to get the 8 best on the field it should be

Freel 3b
Denorfia cf
Dunn lf
EE 1b
Jr rf
BP 2b
Ross C
Gonzo SS

BLEEDS
03-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Hamilton CF
Phillips 2B