PDA

View Full Version : Franchester and Thom

flyer85
03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Was it just me or was anyone else disappointed with the broadcast last night? It was the first I had heard the two together since the first game when it was clear they were happy to be together. However, last night Marty was grumpy from start(piled on Lohse before the game started, at least wait until he stinks it up), Thom seemed to feed off the negativism of Marty and joined the spectacle.

I have liked the addition of Brantley because things have generally stayed more positive when he has been combined with either Marty or Thom.

Marty was on Lohse while Thom decidedly does not like Dunn in the two spot(he campaigned for Gonzalez and his sub 300 OBP to hit there) because "you don't ask Dunn to advance a runner an out"(which makes sense). Heck you shouldn't ask anyone to advance runners with an out(with this Reds staff) except in late game situations. The Reds are going to need a bunch of runs on most nights. The real lineup issue anyway is a 3 hole hitter(Phillips) who has no business hitting there.

There was also a Conine lovefest because he is such an experienced hard nosed player. Just for once I would like to hear some love based on actual objective data, unfortunately from an offensive standpoint the Reds are woefully short of that type of talent.

Hopefully last night was just a bad day for Franchester who didn't like having to do a night road game in spring training. The negativism was way over the top.

Heath
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I think that the Steve Finley-man love from Thom transferred to Jeff Conine.

I think both of them this year will be a hoot. IMO. I'm almost willing to give them a pass for this year since both are truly enjoying themselves.

I play softball. My dad, who is 56, still plays softball. Usually, since my dad lives out-of-town, about 3-4 times a year plays softball on my team. There is nothing cooler than that.

For that same reason, Marty & Thom have to be on cloud 9.

redsfanmia
03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I am not impressed with Thom and long for the days of the Bad Boy.

RollyInRaleigh
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Like Marty and Thom and have no problem with the way they call the ball game. Two very good announcers.:beerme:

dabvu2498
03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Thom has serious man love for the 2001 D-Backs.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2007, 03:04 PM

That was an outstanding team

redsfan30
03-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Why shouldn't he?

Always Red
03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Like Marty and Thom and have no problem with the way they call the ball game. Two very good announcers.:beerme:

I generally agree, Randy, but Flyer is right about last night- Marty was extremely grumpy, critical and basically unhappy with everything last night, and Thom was egging him on. Steve at least used to just be quiet or try to change the subject. Like Flyer said, maybe it was the night gam eon the road at the end of March thing; I hope so. The only thing Marty perked up on was when talking about his grandson's B-day party.

I'm not a Marty basher. I grew up with his voice, and for me, it's the voice of Reds baseball. But I've not hear him as surly as he was last night. Hopefully a one day thing.:thumbup:

dabvu2498
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
That was an outstanding team

No doubt, but every broadcast I've heard he gets his "well back in 2001," longing, weepy sound that's not particularly appealing, especially when you're listening to the Phillies and the Reds in 2007.

Other than that and the seemingly random volume fluctuations, I'm cool with it. He definately has some positive things to say.

RedsFan75
03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I did really like Thom and Brantley in the TV booth the other day, it was a very professional break from Georges saccharin.

Redsland
03-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I think it's safe to say that both Brennamans share a common vision of how the game of baseball ought to be played.

RollyInRaleigh
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Doesn't everyone?

Yachtzee
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Doesn't everyone?

If it means taking hustle over home runs, putting slap hitting out machines at the top of the order, and running a club like its a retirement home for elderly ballplayers, I'd say "no." In fact, I still say I'd like to see Marty do some "hustling" in his own job before he criticizes ballplayers for not doing it in theirs.

Reds Freak
03-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Can't we just enjoy Marty and Thom's above average broadcasting abilities without nitpicking every opinion they throw in a broadcast? They aren't running the team. Narron doesn't have a transistor in the dugout listening to where Thom thinks Gonzalez should bat in the order before making out his line up card.

Cedric
03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Can't we just enjoy Marty and Thom's above average broadcasting abilities without nitpicking every opinion they throw in a broadcast? They aren't running the team. Narron doesn't have a transistor in the dugout listening to where Thom thinks Gonzalez should bat in the order before making out his line up card.

You've been around since 2001. Why in the hell are you surprised?

Thom and Franchester just aren't as enlightened as the average Redszone poster.

LINEDRIVER
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I did really like Thom and Brantley in the TV booth the other day, it was a very professional break from Georges saccharin.

I agree 100%. It was a breath of fresh air.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Pardon the ignorance, but why are you guys calling Marty "Franchester?"

TeamBoone
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
FCB, I think it's because it was recently discovered (I forget how) that it's Marty's first name (or something very similar). Martin is his middle name.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2007, 09:20 PM
FCB, I think it's because it was recently discovered (I forget how) that it's Marty's first name (or something very similar). Martin is his middle name.

Thanks. Must have missed that one.

Yachtzee
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
You've been around since 2001. Why in the hell are you surprised?

Thom and Franchester just aren't as enlightened as the average Redszone poster.

So because he's Franchester Martin Brenneman, Hall of Fame broadcaster, we aren't allowed to point out when he says something we don't agree with? Since he's annointed in the hallowed halls, he's allowed to criticize a bunch of men in a profession he himself has never found work in? But since we are not annointed, we shall not criticized the hallowed poofy-haired one for criticizing said players?

This is a discussion board and as long as Marty and Thom say stuff that someone thinks is a bad idea, it's fair game. It's not like we have our own radio shows on WLW where we can discuss the topic with Marty directly. Last I heard, Marty hasn't invited anyone with a different opinion to sit down and have a decent discussion on any topic unless it involves golf or whatever his favorite TV show might be. If someone were to call in to the Banana Phone or send him an email, do you think he'll take constructive criticism, or is he going to make some remark about how long he's been around and how much he knows? That's not a debate. It's Radio Faschism. So if we have anything to say that in anyway doesn't jibe with Marty's Weltanschauung, this is pretty much the only place we've got to talk about it.

marcshoe
03-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Back in the early days, Joe used to tease him by using the full name: Franchester Martin Brenneman. Or someone did (so it would have to be Joe, wouldn't it?) I'm getting old and my memory's faiding.

Reds Freak
03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
So because he's Franchester Martin Brenneman, Hall of Fame broadcaster, we aren't allowed to point out when he says something we don't agree with? Since he's annointed in the hallowed halls, he's allowed to criticize a bunch of men in a profession he himself has never found work in? But since we are not annointed, we shall not criticized the hallowed poofy-haired one for criticizing said players?

This is a discussion board and as long as Marty and Thom say stuff that someone thinks is a bad idea, it's fair game. It's not like we have our own radio shows on WLW where we can discuss the topic with Marty directly. Last I heard, Marty hasn't invited anyone with a different opinion to sit down and have a decent discussion on any topic unless it involves golf or whatever his favorite TV show might be. If someone were to call in to the Banana Phone or send him an email, do you think he'll take constructive criticism, or is he going to make some remark about how long he's been around and how much he knows? That's not a debate. It's Radio Faschism. So if we have anything to say that in anyway doesn't jibe with Marty's Weltanschauung, this is pretty much the only place we've got to talk about it.

Marty has his opinions about the game of baseball just as everyone else on this board has opinions. At times I disagree with him but don't find it necessary to criticize him every time he says that Dunn's butt looks big today. And like everyone else on this board his passion shows in his frustration of the teams' losing ways the past decade. Although he has never found work in playing the game, my guess is he has seen more Reds baseball than anyone here. Although I'm sure we have all had too much of this discussion, my whole point is why can't we just enjoy the way he eloquently calls Reds baseball and not run to the computer every time he voices his opinion?

Ron Madden
03-29-2007, 05:15 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RollyInRaleigh
03-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Marty has his opinions about the game of baseball just as everyone else on this board has opinions. At times I disagree with him but don't find it necessary to criticize him every time he says that Dunn's butt looks big today. And like everyone else on this board his passion shows in his frustration of the teams' losing ways the past decade. Although he has never found work in playing the game, my guess is he has seen more Reds baseball than anyone here. Although I'm sure we have all had too much of this discussion, my whole point is why can't we just enjoy the way he eloquently calls Reds baseball and not run to the computer every time he voices his opinion?

:beerme:

wheels
03-29-2007, 07:22 AM
:beerme:

:barf:

Always Red
03-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Although I'm sure we have all had too much of this discussion...

I got one thing out of this entire conversation: spring training is almost over, we're tired of games that don't count and trying to predict a 25 man roster, and it's time to play some real baseball!:party:

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 07:49 AM
I got one thing out of this entire conversation: spring training is almost over, we're tired of pointless threads that don't count:

Fixed that up for you.

This is my first off-season on Redszone and I've been really shocked. Marty sux. Dunn sux. Strike out sux. Santos rulz. Wayne please do _________ . Narron sux. Sports Illustrated Sux. BP picked us last. BP sux. That's some classic Reds.com stuff right there. Right now there's a three page thread of the same joke over an error in cincinnati.com. How's that Roger Freel doing? Good stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I've participated heavily in many of the aforemention threads. Please don't take this as a holyer than thou post. I guess I don't know what my expectations for the offseason on here would be like. I was thinking more essoteric discussions about stratigies, in game tactics, player construction, age old baseball mysteries explored and discussed. etc.

I know I'll get creamed for posting this. But I think you are 100% right Always Red. I'm tired of spring training and thirst for baseball. I can't wait for opening day and getting back into the season, both in real life and on Redszone.

BTW - I am NOT calling Flyer's original post pointless. The envitable direction the thread is going...well...that's a differnent story.

Always Red
03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Fixed that up for you.

This is my first off-season on Redszone and I've been really shocked. Marty sux. Dunn sux. Strike out sux. Santos rulz. Wayne please do _________ . Narron sux. That's some classic Reds.com stuff right there. Right now there's a three page thread of the same joke over an error in cincinnati.com. How's that Roger Freel doing? Good stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I've participated heavily in many of the aforemention threads. Please don't take this as a holyer than thou post. I guess I don't know what my expectations for the offseason on here would be like. I was thinking more essoteric discussions about stratigies, in game tactics, player construction, etc.

I know I'll get creamed for posting this. But I think you are 100% right Always Red. I'm tired of spring training and thirst for baseball. I can't wait for opening day and getting back into the season, both in real life and on Redszone.

BTW - I am NOT calling Flyer's original post pointless. The envitable direction the thread is going...well...that's a differnent story.

Abner I've been here about as long as you have, and probably like you, I lurked for a long time before I became active.

Personally, I just skip over those pointless threads you mentioned. What's pointless to me, may not be pointless to you. :)

I see this place as a forum for doing all that you mentioned above. Some of the *****ing and moaning threads are really juvenile, and those posters either don't stick around, or are roundly chastized and even negged.

But, some of the critical threads are actually very good, and very thought-provoking. I read most of them, and try not to get too negative, although sometimes I do. :( Everyone here is united by one simple thing- we love the Reds, and want them to be World Champs again. We differ on how to get there!!

I'm not flaming you, and I'm certainly not lecturing you- in fact I much enjoy reading your posts. But I do agree that this is the one spot we have to voice an opinion; someone mentioned that above, and that poster is absolutely right. You and I may disagree with that opinion. Most times I will just read, chuckle and move on. Invariably, someone else will respond with exactly what I am thinking.

There are tons of great threads on strategy, game tactics, player eval, lineup construction and sabermetrics. I have been a baseball junkie my entire life, but I have learned so much more here. :beerme:

To be honest, I would come here a lot less than I do if this were more of a rah-rah place, where all criticism were banned. I think the mods do a pretty good job of allowing most of it, and weeding out the truly ridiculous. I enjoy the give and take, I enjoy true criticism of this team and baseball in general.

All teams have weaknesses, even the legendary teams like the Yanks of the 20's and the Reds of the 70's. The more I read here and learn about the game, the more I realize how those teams worked around those weaknesses to become great, and it gives me hope that a team with the weaknesses of this years Reds edition, has a chance to win more than 81 games.

I'm ready for the regular season. :thumbup:

BTW- I think Santos is still the same pitcher the back of his baseball card says he is...;)

PS- when it comes to Marty, I love the way he calls a ballgame- no one does it better, in my book. When he's gone, I will truly miss hearing his voice on Reds radio. When he sticks to play by play, he's the best. When he starts offering opinions on lineup construction, and harping on why Adam Dunn sucks and can improve his game, then he is subject to the same criticism everyone else is here, IMO.

registerthis
03-29-2007, 09:11 AM
I am not impressed with Thom and long for the days of the Bad Boy.

Ugh. Not I.

Stewart was as plain as sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt.

BoydsOfSummer
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
The Brantley/ Thommy duo is a pretty refreshing, I like that combo far and away the best. Brantley has a certain smarmy quality that I disliked on NY/Bos Tonight and it comes through on the radio too. Thommy has that "fake broadcaster voice" from time to time which sort of annoys me. But those two are going to provide some quality broadcasts. Really, Franny can take a couple more innings off if he'd like.

Redsland
03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
This is my first off-season on Redszone and I've been really shocked. Marty sux. Dunn sux. Strike out sux. Santos rulz. Wayne please do _________ . Narron sux. Sports Illustrated Sux. BP picked us last. BP sux. That's some classic Reds.com stuff right there. Right now there's a three page thread of the same joke over an error in cincinnati.com. How's that Roger Freel doing? Good stuff.
1. ORG right now.

2. Reds Live right now.

On ORG, I see 14 threads. In one, we're contributing funds to this site. In another, we're remembering an old friend. In another, we're planning a get-together. I see a discussion about the closer's position, a light-hearted thread, a discussion about the king of sabrmetrics, a discussion about some national ink concerning our opening day starter, a discussion about a Gammons scoop on the national wire, some Dunn love, a thread in anticipation of opening day, an other light-hearted thread, a discussion about a divisional rival's pitching staff, and a trade proposal.

Offsetting those, I see one thread about roster management that might have been worded better.

On Reds Live, I see a predictions thread, another thread in which we're planning a get together, another thread in which posters are giving their own money to support this site, yet another thread in which posters are giving more money in support of a tragic accident, some Josh Hamilton love, a nice thread about the team's new daddies, some more Josh Hamilton love, a light-hearted thread that apparently irks you, a game thread that's garnered 1,000 responses, a lengthy recap, a weather report, some Dunn love, and an offer for tickets.

Offsetting those, I see one thread about the man who was our #3 starter at the time giving up 5 home runs the same day his manager said he wasn't going to be demoted to the #5 spot in the rotation.

Maybe you think RedsZone is a crappy hatefest of vomit and bile, but it sure doesn't look like that to me.

WMR
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I definitely wholeheartedly support the "Franchester" movement.

WMR
03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
1. ORG right now.

2. Reds Live right now.

On ORG, I see 14 threads. In one, we're contributing funds to this site. In another, we're remembering an old friend. In another, we're planning a get-together. I see a discussion about the closer's position, a light-hearted thread, a discussion about the king of sabrmetrics, a discussion about some national ink concerning our opening day starter, a discussion about a Gammons scoop on the national wire, some Dunn love, a thread in anticipation of opening day, an other light-hearted thread, a discussion about a divisional rival's pitching staff, and a trade proposal.

Offsetting those, I see one thread about roster management that might have been worded better.

On Reds Live, I see a predictions thread, another thread in which we're planning a get together, another thread in which posters are giving their own money to support this site, yet another thread in which posters are giving more money in support of a tragic accident, some Josh Hamilton love, a nice thread about the team's new daddies, some more Josh Hamilton love, a light-hearted thread that apparently irks you, a game thread that's garnered 1,000 responses, a lengthy recap, a weather report, some Dunn love, and an offer for tickets.

Offsetting those, I see one thread about the man who was our #3 starter at the time giving up 5 home runs the same day his manager said he wasn't going to be demoted to the #5 spot in the rotation.

Maybe you think RedsZone is a crappy hatefest of vomit and bile, but it sure doesn't look like that to me.

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

KronoRed
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I definitely wholeheartedly support the "Franchester" movement.

The people must be heard

Ltlabner
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
But, some of the critical threads are actually very good, and very thought-provoking. I read most of them, and try not to get too negative, although sometimes I do. :( Everyone here is united by one simple thing- we love the Reds, and want them to be World Champs again. We differ on how to get there!!.

Who said anything about not being critical and thought provoking? In fact, that's at the very heart of what I was getting at. The recent conversation(s) about Milton latley have been great. In fact, they helped push me from "give him another shot" to "please shoot him".

I was just commenting that as the offseason has worn on the number of thought provoking threads has decreased and the number of "Dunn sux" type threads have increased. I just skip over those, but I'm finding more and more that I'm skiping over more and more threads. That's all. Just my opinion.

I'm also equally confident that the cure to the thin content on RZ right now (again, my opinion) is to sucessfully reach April 2nd.

Who said anything about that? My comments had more to do with the general gist of the conversations getting away from critical anyalis/debates and more towards "he said/she said" type debates like "I think Marty is cool" or "Mike Schmidt is a dork", etc.

My comments have ZERO to do with trying to promote a love fest, claiming people are too negative, they hate the Reds or anything of the like. Maybe I am not expressing myself well because this is the 2nd time in a few days where people took my comments to mean something radically different than what (think) I said.

All I meant to say was that I can't wait for the season to start up again to give us some new topics to talk about besides the 1000th version of Marty is bitter or Dunn strikes out too much.

Reds Freak
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I get nervous at times I suppose when fans are overly critical of a certain person that they will "run that player out of town". We've heard stories from Grounds Crew about Griffey coming in from the outfield at GABP with a handful of objects that were thrown at him. Or when the media constantly badgers him about this or that. Why would you want to play in a city where you get pennies thrown at you or get booed when you don't hit a home run?!? It's one thing if that happens in a town like Boston or New York but there hasn't been a lot of winning around here in a while.

Cincinnati is blessed to have a future hall of famer in right field and a hall of fame broadcaster and his son in the booth. I haven't seen a lot of good Reds baseball in my lifetime so I definately don't take that for granted. I don't know if some people appreciate that, if you can't enjoy it now when are you going to be able to enjoy it? I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and this message should go to the drunkards who come to one or two games a year. I just like to see the people in this city who deserve some love, get it from Reds fans.

DTCromer
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm thoroughly convinced Marty and Thom could read the board, say the things people want them to say and still not being pleased with their efforts. Oh well, I guess that's how sports fans are today. Even if everything is perfect, there's always something wrong.

Matt700wlw
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Marty has his opinions about the game of baseball just as everyone else on this board has opinions. At times I disagree with him but don't find it necessary to criticize him every time he says that Dunn's butt looks big today.

I'd question why Marty is looking at Dunn's butt...

Yachtzee
03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I get nervous at times I suppose when fans are overly critical of a certain person that they will "run that player out of town". We've heard stories from Grounds Crew about Griffey coming in from the outfield at GABP with a handful of objects that were thrown at him. Or when the media constantly badgers him about this or that. Why would you want to play in a city where you get pennies thrown at you or get booed when you don't hit a home run?!? It's one thing if that happens in a town like Boston or New York but there hasn't been a lot of winning around here in a while.

Cincinnati is blessed to have a future hall of famer in right field and a hall of fame broadcaster and his son in the booth. I haven't seen a lot of good Reds baseball in my lifetime so I definately don't take that for granted. I don't know if some people appreciate that, if you can't enjoy it now when are you going to be able to enjoy it? I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and this message should go to the drunkards who come to one or two games a year. I just like to see the people in this city who deserve some love, get it from Reds fans.

If you are concerned about good players being run out of town, the voice calling for the torches and pitchforks is more likely to come from the radio booth than it is from this message board.

Reds Freak
03-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I'd question why Marty is looking at Dunn's butt...

It's easy to get off topic broadcasting spring training games. And if the females in Marty's family are anything like my girlfriend, he has a full report of the quality of every butt on the 25 man roster.

jmac
03-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Ugh. Not I.

Stewart was as plain as sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt.

:thumbup: