PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Gobble????

crazybob60
03-29-2007, 12:35 AM
I am not sure that this deserves its own thread, but I wasn't quite sure where to put it either, so here goes....

Every year, this guy's name seems to pop up on the list of pitchers the Reds should either go after or are looking into....if memory serves me right, it seems like this has happened at least once and sometimes more over the past 2-3 seasons, once again, this is just from memory, so I could be mistaken on some account. Just wondering if anybody out there has the detailed information or maybe just some of it, why this deal was shot down or never pursued. I believe that he could be a vital cog in the rotation and/or bullpen. A Kirk Saarloos of sorts and is young and could thrive in a different location...

I know Zack Greinke from the KCR has also been mentioned, I think....but I don't think KCR is willing to part with him are they?

Hopefully my memory has served me correctly on this....

dougdirt
03-29-2007, 01:32 AM
I would love to get Greinke, but no way the Royals let him go. He will be their best pitcher this year, I am saying that now.

BEETTLEBUG
03-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Could Gobble be the PTBNL?

mth123
03-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Could Gobble be the PTBNL?

When I first saw this I thought please no. But looking at Gobble last year is kind of interesting. His K/9 was 8.57, his BB/9 was 3.11 and his HR/9 was 1.29. This kid is a 25 year old LH who had an ERA 5.14 with a BABIP of .339 last year. BP came up with a 2006 ERA based on his peripherals of 3.96. He gives up a lot of HR and would probably give up more in Cincinnati. The roster is pretty full for another acquisition unless the guy acquired is a clear upgrade and I'm not sure Gobble qualifies (but the Reds have a few worse pitchers in the mix right now).

As a PTBNL the Reds could do worse, but there really isn't room right now unless some dead wood is removed. I'd prefer a minor leaguer who could be stashed/developed and not to simply add to the roster glut.

jojo
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I would love to get Greinke, but no way the Royals let him go. He will be their best pitcher this year, I am saying that now.

You're forgetting that Luke Hudson is on their staff? :D

Dunner44
03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
When I first saw this I thought please no. But looking at Gobble last year is kind of interesting. His K/9 was 8.57, his BB/9 was 3.11 and his HR/9 was 1.29. This kid is a 25 year old LH who had an ERA 5.14 with a BABIP of .339 last year. BP came up with a 2006 ERA based on his peripherals of 3.96. He gives up a lot of HR and would probably give up more in Cincinnati. The roster is pretty full for another acquisition unless the guy acquired is a clear upgrade and I'm not sure Gobble qualifies (but the Reds have a few worse pitchers in the mix right now).

As a PTBNL the Reds could do worse, but there really isn't room right now unless some dead wood is removed. I'd prefer a minor leaguer who could be stashed/developed and not to simply add to the roster glut.

There are worse people to have gobble up innings as the 4th or 5th starter.... (oh yeah, I went there)

dougdirt
03-29-2007, 12:06 PM
You're forgetting that Luke Hudson is on their staff? :D

Lol no my friend I did not.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Gobble strikes me as one of those late-blooming lefties -- lots of talent, but he won't put it together until he's 28 or so.

I don't know if he'll ever be a starter, but he'll be invaluable as a setup man or even a closer someday.

M2
03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Gobble's the kind of pitcher I'd like to see the Reds snatch up. He's 25 and he started to get his K pitch working in the bullpen last year. There's a lot of pitchers out there who get thrown to the wolves early, their original teams give up on them and then in their mid-20s they click.

I tend to be of the opinion that guys who bounce back from that kind of failure are stronger for it. In fact, having to stare in the face the very real possibility that you won't ever realize your dreams and then overcome the fear associated with it is probably a necessary developmental step for many pitchers, steeling them for the constant struggle that is being a major league pitcher.

Curt Schilling's a great example. It wasn't until his fourth organization and after four forgettable seasons that it all clicked for him at age 25. IMO, overcoming that is a big part of the reason why he's so tough in the playoffs.

FlightRick
03-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I am against the idea of this acquisiation. My Inner Beavis *still* chuckles regularly at the fact that our pitching coach is named Dick Pole. The last thing I need is for us to add a pitcher named "Gobble" to the mix.

Imagine if he catches fire, and headlines during the 2009 World Series look like this: "Reds Hope to Deflate Yankees' Wang with Expert Pole, Gobble."

Dracodave
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
"Reds Hope to Deflate Yankees' Wang with Expert Pole, Gobble."

Just flat out funny.