PDA

View Full Version : Help with MLBTV

redsfaninbsg
03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
I attend college, I purchased the premium package and everytime I go to try and watch a game it just buffers. I was able to get the gameday audio up but it would only play for 12-15 seconds then begin buffering again. Anybody have any ideas?

TOBTTReds
03-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds like your bandwith isn't able to handle it. My only recommendation would be to turn off all other programs on your computer like AIM and Internet Explorer. That seems to work best for me.

redsfaninbsg
03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok, thank you. I'll give it a go, if this doesn't work I'm out in the cold on watching the reds.

robmadden1
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM
If your on dial up it wont work.

Unassisted
03-31-2007, 03:41 PM
It's possible that your college network administrators are doing bandwidth-throttling to reduce the hit on their network from people viewing streaming video. That would be a possible cause of the symptom you are experiencing. You could inquire with the local tech-support folks whether this is the case.

Another possibility is that other people in your building are using up the available bandwidth with P2P file sharing. It would only take a few people downloading and uploading the collected works of George Lucas to put a monumental hit on available bandwidth.

redsfan4445
03-31-2007, 08:25 PM
also clear out your history as well.. with IE up, go to the toolbar at the top and choose "Tools", "Internet Options" and when the popup comes up, click on Clear History AND, above that, you will see Temporary Internet Files. the best way to clear this is to click on the "settings" and then click on "View Files" and up will pop up a screen with all the temp internet files choose Select all under File on the tool bar and delete this way.. this will rid them all.. If you simply would have clicked on Delete on the previous screen for the temp internet files, for some reason it never deletes them all. this is the best way.. if you use the internet alot, every page is saved.. and i had over 5,000 pages saved on mine.. deleting these speeds things up as well.

hope this helps!

Hey Meat
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I attend college, I purchased the premium package and everytime I go to try and watch a game it just buffers. I was able to get the gameday audio up but it would only play for 12-15 seconds then begin buffering again. Anybody have any ideas?
Bandwidth problem. Mine works fine at home. I teach school and attempt to watch the Reds when the kids are working on something(I usually arrange it so that they have some work while the Reds are on) When a bunch of other teachers are using streaming, it bogs down our system and cuts down on bandwidth. It might be your computer or the network that you are on.

Wheelhouse
03-31-2007, 11:06 PM
If you use mac it wont work

pahster
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
If you use mac it wont work

I've watched MLB.tv on a Mac before.

Wheelhouse
04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I've watched MLB.tv on a Mac before.

Very very tempermental. And when it does work it starts stuttering after about 10 mins. Maybe it's just my experience, but I know MLBs media player uses Windows Media Player for Mac as its base, and that media player is no longer supported by Microsoft. Meaning if MLBs streaming system is improved or changed, it won't be for Mac. If you use the WMP replacement, Flip4Mac, that is still catching up to the Joneses in terms of compatibility, but also occasionally works for limited times. The simple fact is MLB.TV is an inferior product on the Mac and will be until MLB develops its own media player that is fully Mac compatible.

pahster
04-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Very very tempermental. And when it does work it starts stuttering after about 10 mins. Maybe it's just my experience, but I know MLBs media player uses Windows Media Player for Mac as its base, and that media player is no longer supported by Microsoft. Meaning if MLBs streaming system is improved or changed, it won't be for Mac. If you use the WMP replacement, Flip4Mac, that is still catching up to the Joneses in terms of compatibility, but also occasionally works for limited times. The simple fact is MLB.TV is an inferior product on the Mac and will be until MLB develops its own media player that is fully Mac compatible.

Now that you mention it, I do recall some buffering issues when I was watching a game on my girlfriend's iBook. That seems a bit inconvenient for Mac users. It doesn't really matter for me, though, since I primarily use it on my PC.

Unassisted
04-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I've found that MLB.TV is most dependable on my Macs when Flip4Mac is set to always use the Quicktime player, rather than playing back in the browser. Using the QT player gives better control of playback and size than you can get in the MLB player.

Gainesville Red
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Where's the mosaic thing on the mlb site?

I went ahead and got the premium monthly in hopes that InDemand will come through with EI for me.

Gainesville Red
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Nevermind.

redsfaninbsg
04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I wish they would come through on that deal, I could get EI if they put it on cable here at school

Gainesville Red
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
The mosaic thing's a pretty good idea, but I gotta say, it looks pretty crappy.

Gainesville Red
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Eh. It's actually growing on me a little as the night progresses. I don't hate it as much as I did at first.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Eh. It's actually growing on me a little as the night progresses. I don't hate it as much as I did at first.

The feed in 700k looks as good as WGN does on analog cable IMO. Of course, the cpu monitor is smaller, but analog cable is really horrible.

Freddie_Free
04-04-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm in a similar situation in Richmond, and found that i was still blacked out for Reds games because my billing address was in Cincinnati. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

RedsMan3203
04-04-2007, 02:14 AM
They don't black out on billing address, they black out on IP Address... Those never lie.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 02:33 AM
They don't black out on billing address, they black out on IP Address... Those never lie.

They do use your billing address for MLB Mosaic. I downloaded the new Mosaic last night and it asked me for my billing info for them to enforce the blackouts. I just closed it and didn't put it in. I really only like watching 1 game at a time.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm in a similar situation in Richmond, and found that i was still blacked out for Reds games because my billing address was in Cincinnati. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Richmond? Which Richmond? If you are talking about Richmond KY, you are blacked out anyway. I don't know about Richmond, VA.

Freddie_Free
04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Richmond? Which Richmond? If you are talking about Richmond KY, you are blacked out anyway. I don't know about Richmond, VA.

Richmond, Virginia. I got it sorted out though, an Orioles fan and I made a deal so that we could watch our team play on the other's computer.

Hey Meat
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I thought I was fooling somebody by getting MLBTV so I could watch it at work. I was able to watch the last Boston vs Cincinnatti Spring Training game, but after that the schools network started blocking me from seeing MLBTV. When InDemand gets EI back, will I be able to drop MLBTV? I had signed up for monthly billing.

Unassisted
04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
When InDemand gets EI back, will I be able to drop MLBTV? I had signed up for monthly billing.

With monthly billing, you can cancel. With annual billing, you're on the hook for the whole amount unless you contact MLBAM within a few days of when they process the payment.

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
With monthly billing, you can cancel. With annual billing, you're on the hook for the whole amount unless you contact MLBAM within a few days of when they process the payment.
When I signed up for monthly there was a check box at the bottom if you left that checked they automatically rebill you every month. I took it off so hopefully I won't be rebilled if cable ends up getting Extra Innings. Also on all these deals there is a 5 day cancellation period. If you cancel before 5 days they are not supposed to charge you anything.

NastyBoy
04-05-2007, 05:01 PM
For those interested in watching blacked out games... here it the thread I created last season.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48806

As far as MLB.tv on a mac, you will need latest version flip4mac. I use flip4mac in quicktime player. I have run as many as 3 games in 3 different QT windows.

For mosaic on a mac, you will need OS X 10.4.9 with Java 5 update, latest flip4mac and really high speed internet. I have been using a 12 inch powerbook G4 to watch the games on wifi. Everything sees to work pretty good, but apparently they are still tweeking the mac version of mosaic, because twice since the season starter, mosaic has downloaded new versions automatically when starting up.