PDA

View Full Version : 200 home runs keep Dunn on historic pace

savafan
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/04/03/ddn040307redsside1.html

By Kyle Nagel

Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

CINCINNATI — David Ross quickly glanced over his shoulder while sitting at his locker in the postgame clubhouse, as if looking for those who had criticized his teammate, Adam Dunn.

"OK," he said. "Everybody says he had a bad year last year. What'd he hit, 40? Forty home runs? OK, 40 home runs, 90-something RBIs, and he had a bad year. Please let me have that kind of year.

"I don't know if we all know exactly what we're watching."

On Monday, as the Cincinnati Reds beat the Chicago Cubs, 5-1, in their season opener, the 42,710 in Great American Ball Park and untold more on television watched the burly Reds outfielder hit two home runs in his first two times up.

They were two crowd-pleasing blasts that pushed his career total to 200 in just 882 games with the team that made him a second-round draft pick in 1998 out of New Caney (Texas) High School.

Dunn became the seventh player in Reds history to hit 200 homers for the team, but he has done so at a quicker pace than the other hallowed members of the list. Which begs the question: Are baseball fans watching a man who — when his career ends — will be considered the best home-run hitter in Reds history?

"Sure, that could happen," said Ryan Freel, the Cincinnati center fielder. "And I really think it's going to be a different story this year with him."

It's been a powerful story so far. In his first six seasons, Dunn hit 198 home runs. Johnny Bench, who leads the franchise with 389 homers from 1967-83, had 154 after six seasons. Only one player, Frank Robinson, hit more homers (202) in his first six seasons with the club than Dunn, and Robinson finished his career as one of the game's great sluggers with 586 round-trippers.

Of the Reds' 200-home run group, Bench played the most games (2,158). If Dunn continues his pace and matches that game total, he'll hit 526 home runs, or 137 more than Cincinnati's all-time best ball crusher.

Or, is it an Opening Day thing? Dunn now has the franchise record for homers in season openers, with five.

"Just tired of Florida," Dunn said, explaining his Opening Day precision as a move away from spring training. "I'm ready to get out. I wish every day was Opening Day."

He made the most of it Monday when he placed himself on a list that one day he could lead.

"I've played with some good ones," Ross said. "Every time he comes to the plate, there's a chance he's going to hit a home run. A good chance. Obviously, we saw that today."

Degenerate39
04-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Good article. I suspect Dunn to be in the 500 club easily before he retires. (I'm just being modest I think he'll end up in the 600 club).

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 02:49 PM
In his first six seasons, Dunn hit 198 home runs.

The first of those "six" seasons was only 2 months! That should hardly count as a full season... just think how many he'd have if he had played all the 2001 season.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Dunn will hit 700+ homers if he plays until he is 40.

RBA
04-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Dunn hits 1000 homeruns if he stoops down and walks around like a duck in his birthdate suit everyday for 15 minutes in pregame warm-ups.

Gainesville Red
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Dunn hits 1000 homeruns if he stoops down and walks around like a duck in his birthdate suit everyday for 15 minutes in pregame warm-ups.

Not true. I do that every morning and I only hit one homerun. And it was an in the parker in little league, and probably should have been ruled an error but my mom was the score keeper.

BucksandReds
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
If he keeps up at yesterday's pace he'll beat the all time HR record sometime next July or August. I think that's a fairly reasonable expectation.

Redsland
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Not unless he starts running to his position, he won't.

:)

UGADaddy
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
He had a good Monday. I've been critical of Dunn in the past, but I'll first to admit he looked great at the plate Monday. But let's remember, it was just Monday.

I wish him luck the rest of the way. If he keeps hitting the way he's capable of, the Reds lineup is going to be a tough one.

RichRed
04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I've said it before, if he's healthy, Dunn has a great shot at 600 HRs and I would HATE to see him hit #600 in another uniform. Let's hang on to him.

redsmetz
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
When I was leaving the game and realizing that he'd hit his 200th homer, I said to my daughter that I'd seen him hit his first too. Now that's a fun little fact.

MississippiRed
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
When I was leaving the game and realizing that he'd hit his 200th homer, I said to my daughter that I'd seen him hit his first too. Now that's a fun little fact.

Where did Dunn hit his first homerun? I believe I saw Dunn play his first game in MLB in Atlanta, but I don't believe he homered that game.

BRM
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Baseball-reference shows his first one came against the Marlins on July 27th, 2001. The game was at Cinergy.

Redsland
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
When was his first strikeout?

:evil:

BRM
04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
When was his first strikeout?

:evil:

In his very first game, July 20th at Florida.

remdog
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
"David Ross quickly glanced over his shoulder while sitting at his locker in the postgame clubhouse, as if looking for those who had criticized his teammate, Adam Dunn.

"OK," he said. "Everybody says he had a bad year last year. What'd he hit, 40? Forty home runs? OK, 40 home runs, 90-something RBIs, and he had a bad year. Please let me have that kind of year."

YES! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :pray:

Rem