PDA

View Full Version : West Virgina Reds Fans....

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
April 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Roundup: Suddenlink to broadcast Reds
From staff reports
Reds on Suddenlink

CHARLESTON — Suddenlink Communications announced Monday that it will broadcast 145 Cincinnati Reds baseball games in the 2007 season on its local information channel. The game feeds will be provided by Fox Sports Ohio.

Reds games can be seen on channel 22 in the Beckley/Oak Hill, Princeton/Hinton and Lewisburg/Greenbrier County areas.

http://www.register-herald.com/sports/local_story_092234958.html?keyword=secondarystory

WVJulz
04-03-2007, 03:07 PM

http://www.register-herald.com/sports/local_story_092234958.html?keyword=secondarystory

[SIZE="4"]Unfortunately, those of us that live in the Parkersburg area have Fox Sports PITTSBURGH to watch all the Pirates we want. Or in this case, don't want. We don't get Fox Sports Ohio and something tells me that this won't be made available to us:thumbdown
Julz

TeamBoone
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
[SIZE="4"]Unfortunately, those of us that live in the Parkersburg area have Fox Sports PITTSBURGH to watch all the Pirates we want. Or in this case, don't want. We don't get Fox Sports Ohio and something tells me that this won't be made available to us:thumbdown
Julz

Would it make a difference if several Reds fans (you and some of your friends) actually contacted FSN to let them know that WV is Reds Country, not Pirates? Maybe they don't know this.

And if that doesn't work, maybe contact some of the Reds people associated with FOX... Chris, George, Thom... and try to get them to go to bat for you.

I'm serious; you might be surprised at what could result. You can bet that f there are no complaints from the fans, nothing will happen. Give it a shot.

Chip R
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Would it make a difference if several Reds fans (you and some of your friends) actually contacted FSN to let them know that WV is Reds Country, not Pirates? Maybe they don't know this.

And if that doesn't work, maybe contact some of the Reds people associated with FOX... Chris, George, Thom... and try to get them to go to bat for you.

Might not be a good idea to get George to help. They will end up getting St. Louis games.

Degenerate39
04-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Julz

We had Fox Sports Pitsburgh when we had cable now that we have direct tv we have all the fsns. As a matter of a fact I was watching the Pirates game today in 4th block when Jason Bay hit a two run homer in extra innings.

reds1869
04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Julz

My parents live in Williamstown and got only FSN Ohio when they had cable; they switched to Dish and have both now. It's strange how the same service in the same area can vary so wildly.

Newman4
04-03-2007, 04:30 PM

I think it's safe to say that no place outside of PA is Pirates Country. I get Charleston/Huntington for my local channels and apparently they think everyone likes the Steelers too. Amazingly though, the same stations hate the University of Pittsburgh. I guess that's because of Dubya Vee Phew.

RollyInRaleigh
04-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I have heard that it is the University of South Pittsburgh.;)

Big Klu
04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I think it's safe to say that no place outside of PA is Pirates Country.

There are a few Pirates areas outside of western PA, but I think you are right for the most part. I think the Morgantown, WV area is Pirates country, as is the Weirton, WV/Steubenville, OH area. Wheeling, WV also sometimes leans toward the Pirates, but if the Reds are playing well they will throw their allegience to Cincinnati.

marcshoe
04-03-2007, 06:08 PM
I worked with a guy who grew up in Wheeling, WV, and he said that was Pirates territory. 'course he was in his fifties, so it had been a while.

Down here, on Armstrong Cable out of Hamlin, we get both the Reds and the Pirates.

writerdan33
04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm originally from Williamson, in the southwest part of WV down on the Kentucky border. The reason cable companies in that region are carrying Fox Sports Pittsburgh is because of the broadcast deals West Virginia and Marshall University have with FS Pitt. Or, at least that's why they carried initially. I assume some of both school's programming is still on there.

Doesn't make much sense for Marshall, and sucks for Huntington, which is just 2 1/2 hours from Cincy.

Chip R
04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
What I would like to know is how do these areas on the border decide which team to show. Why would a city like Wheeling get a Reds game over a Pirates game or vice versa or why do they show both? Could someone from the Reds go to that cable company and give them the old hard sell on why they should show the Reds instead of the Bucs? Could they slip them a little under the table? Give them a rate on commercials? Or is it just up to the program director there?

Newman4
04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm originally from Williamson, in the southwest part of WV down on the Kentucky border. The reason cable companies in that region are carrying Fox Sports Pittsburgh is because of the broadcast deals West Virginia and Marshall University have with FS Pitt. Or, at least that's why they carried initially. I assume some of both school's programming is still on there.

Doesn't make much sense for Marshall, and sucks for Huntington, which is just 2 1/2 hours from Cincy.

Marshall is on CSTV exclusively just about now. (CSTV is an acronym for College Sports Television, but since they took over MU broadcasts, the CS part has several variations in Herd Country.:evil: )

Newman4
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
There are a few Pirates areas outside of western PA, but I think you are right for the most part. I think the Morgantown, WV area is Pirates country, as is the Weirton, WV/Steubenville, OH area. Wheeling, WV also sometimes leans toward the Pirates, but if the Reds are playing well they will throw their allegience to Cincinnati.

My mom is from West Virginia and she doesn't consider Morgantown part of the state. :)

writerdan33
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Marshall is on CSTV exclusively just about now. (CSTV is an acronym for College Sports Television, but since they took over MU broadcasts, the CS part has several variations in Herd Country.:evil: )

Yeah, now that you say that I watched Marshall on CSTV this past season. The FS Pitt deal originally was a few years back.

Shaknb8k
04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Ohh this is great news. For the past two seasons ive purchased Dish Network only when the season was going on because they offer Fox Cincinnati in my area in South Charleston, WV. I also had to have cable because of internet. So pretty much I had to spend $45 extra per month to watch the Reds. And that done come easy for a part-time working college student. I called them today just to varify this and they said the Reds FSN feed would be picked up and put on channel 22 for the 145 games.

I called Suddenlink many times to complain and they said they would record it. And i kept doing that every so often. I think this is a mix between the Cable company having people request to see the Reds as well as the Reds wanting to expand the viewing area. If everything goes as planned I will chalk this one up to New Ownership, Suddenlink, Reds, WV Fans, and I think the success of the Reds Caravan to WV had a lot to do with it.

wvu-red-fan
04-03-2007, 11:51 PM
My mom is from West Virginia and she doesn't consider Morgantown part of the state. :)

Is there a reason for this crap on a Red's board? :rolleyes:

nineworldseries
04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Wheeling and the northern panhandle are most definitely Pirates country. They are 45 minutes from Pittsburgh and more than 3 hours to Cincy.

WVRedsFan
04-05-2007, 01:36 AM

Hot damn! (excuse me Boss).

Read this earlier tonight and tuned in. It was in HD for crying out loud (or so the little box said).

And to think I paid all that money for Extra Innings. Drat!

Thanks TB for the heads up.

WVRedsFan
04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
What I would like to know is how do these areas on the border decide which team to show. Why would a city like Wheeling get a Reds game over a Pirates game or vice versa or why do they show both? Could someone from the Reds go to that cable company and give them the old hard sell on why they should show the Reds instead of the Bucs? Could they slip them a little under the table? Give them a rate on commercials? Or is it just up to the program director there?

I read somewhere that MLB makes these decisions. Our cable company (Suddenlink) gives us FSPittsburgh for free and that means you get the Pirates for baseball (if you want to call it that, but they are undefeated).

Back in 1993 I got a DirecTV dish and have had EI since its inception, so I've always had Reds games. This just makes it special to have it on Channel 22. And it has nothing to do with WVU. It has everything to do with MLB.

BuckWoody
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Just curious, TB, did you have anything to do with designing the NIT championship t-shirts for the Mountaineers this year?
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/basketball/ncaa/03/30/bc.bkc.nit.t.shirtgoof.ap/p1_wva2.jpg
;)

RedsBaron
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
My parents live in Williamstown and got only FSN Ohio when they had cable; they switched to Dish and have both now. It's strange how the same service in the same area can vary so wildly.

I switched from cable to Dish Network a couple of years ago just so I could get Fox Sports Cincinnati to watch Reds games instead of Fox Pittsburgh. Prior to making the change I had complained to my cable company about the Fox sports station we received without any effect.
W. Va. probably becomes Pirates country an hour or so north/northeast of Charleston, but in the Huntington area it is definitely Reds country. It sometimes amazes me how ignorant certain out-of-state corporations are about fan loyalties and geography. For years the Applebee's just across the street from my Huntington law office had a section devoted to the Pirates, and nothing about the Reds.

WVJulz
04-05-2007, 03:03 PM

Well, as incredible as it seems, our local Suddenlink must be doing the same thing because last night's game was televised on the local channel. Unreal! Thanks for posting about this...otherwise, I wouldn't have known about it because that's usually reserved for a shopping channel. :)

Julz

Shaknb8k
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Anyone else having a problem with suddenlink not switching over the feed for tonights game? I called them and they tried to blame it on the blackout rules but I told them thats not what it is. They never gave me any type of answer for the problem.

Will
04-21-2007, 10:17 PM
We got it late, but we did get it in Beckley. Too bad for the Jewelry channel :eek:

dunndawg
04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
For those Reds fans in the Marietta/Parkersburg area...You can get all of the FSN Ohio broadcasts on Suddenlink channel 19. It's about time.

Moonlite Graham
05-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Is this still the case regarding Marietta Parkersburg?

Im in town on business tonight and checked channel 19 and it was Jewelry Television.

Do they switch the feed when the Reds game starts?

dunndawg
05-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Yes Moonlite. They switch to the Reds when the preview show comes on. So far, every game that is on FSN has been on Ch. 19. It's about time!! :)