PDA

View Full Version : talent hidden under radar

Topcat
04-04-2007, 03:52 AM
after reading edabbs comments on Cappelan the pitcher buried in Milwaukee if wanted to start a thread on players the red's should acquire at a low cost . My nomination is the Lance Niekro from San Fran. I also want to state that I feel he is acquirable for some middle relief help ala Cormier etc. Truly believe he can be had on the cheap and adds a great transition player with power till Votto arrives or in the case Votto flops. He is to me a very talented and acquirable player.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 05:09 AM
I think the Reds should send Stanton back to the Giants. I think they would bite and actually send back something useful. They have shown no interest in having any young guys.

I would also love for the Reds to get Humberto Sanchez from the Yankees. I've beat that horse to death for a year now. He'll be good if he ever gets the chance and can stay healthy.

mth123
04-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Not sure what it would take, but Eric Hinske seems superfluous in Boston (but he's a left handed hitter) and Manny Delcarmen was sent down.

We've discussed Marcus Thames but he would be a good target IMO.

Toronto DFAd Francicso Rosario who will be traded in the next week but he'd be hard to keep. He could take Santo's spot for now, but not sure when guys start coming back.

I still like Brian Bruney, but since the Yankees cut Ron Villone, they probably aren't interested in aging relievers like in previous years and are looking to keep the youth.

I think Villone on the market hurts when attempting to trade Cormier.

MartyFan
04-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Topcat: I had wondered the same thing about Niekro.

Also, I am looking for the info on a kid I heard about with the Marlins...can't think of who it was.

texasdave
04-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Jason Lane is not a long-term answer, but would give a major league team 2 or 3 solid years if a team would just stick him out in right field and forget about him. In over 1000 major league at-bats his OPS stands at .799 coming into the season. I would say 25-30 homers and a 825ish OPS would be the result. He could be available since the 'Stros have Luke Scott at the major league level and Hunter Pence ready down in AAA.

edabbs44
04-04-2007, 10:21 AM
If Grienke has any hiccups...WK should pounce. Should have pounced last year.

Fernando Cabrera is a live arm out of Cleveland. I like live arms more than arms 1 or 2 years from retirement.

Gavin Floyd reminds me a little of Brett Myers. Still only 24 and has a lot of time to figure it out. But he just got dealt to CWS, so another trade is highly unlikely.

M2
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I'll agree that Jason Lane certainly is easy to forget about when you stick him out in RF. There's few players whose games I like less.

Gavin Floyd was a kid with a curve and little else.

Topcat
04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Jeremy Reed seems to have fallen out of favor in seattle also and i wonder what they would want to acquire him. I could see him becoming another Brady Clarkish kinda of guy.

thatcoolguy_22
04-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Scott Olsen or Anibal Sanchez. Both ar eincredibly young and already performing on the major league level. Who knows what it wouuld take to get either but geesh instant upgrades

Red Leader
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Scott Olsen or Anibal Sanchez. Both ar eincredibly young and already performing on the major league level. Who knows what it wouuld take to get either but geesh instant upgrades

Yeah, but those guys are both guys that would be ridiculously expensive to acquire.

I think they're looking for guys that you may be able to find on the cheap that will "break out" if given some playing time.

I still think KC's Emil Brown is a great bat to have. I can't believe they are platooning him with Ross Gload. And Brown gets the short end of the platoon! What?!?

thatcoolguy_22
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, but those guys are both guys that would be ridiculously expensive to acquire.

I think they're looking for guys that you may be able to find on the cheap that will "break out" if given some playing time.

ok how about the converted OF from a 2nd basemen Ryan Theriot? this guy could be had for a hamburger and he is speedy with range at 2nd. I haven't seen him in the OF as of yet but if he can develop he could be Deno incarnate that can back up at 2nd as well

REDREAD
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll agree that Jason Lane certainly is easy to forget about when you stick him out in RF. There's few players whose games I like less.

On the flip side though, he's a legit bat off the bench.
It's debatable, but since we have Hamilton on the roster as a 2nd CF, I would prefer the 4th OF to be a decent bat.. Sorry, but I'm not enamored with the idea of having both Deno and Hamilton on the roster. Lane would also make getting guys like Conine unnecessary.

I think Lane would be great in the Michael Tucker role (4th OF that plays a lot). Note, I don't think he's as good as Tucker back then. IMO, Tucker was one of the more underrated players the Reds had. Not that Tucker was a superstar, but underrated.

Also, with Lane, you could possibly spot start Jr at 1b.. Or maybe not.. I don't know how Jr's legs would react to playing 1b.. Or maybe you talk Dunn into starting 20 games a year at 1b.. The point is Lane could add more valuable depth than Deno, considering our roster.. All in my opinion of course, I wouldn't sell the farm to get the guy.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I like a guy like Marcus Thames. I don't know how under the radar he is, but he also shouldn't cost an and and a leg either.

ED44
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I like a guy like Marcus Thames. I don't know how under the radar he is, but he also shouldn't cost an and and a leg either.

I agree 100%. Thames was the name I instantly thought of regarding the topic. I also like the idea of Greinke mentioned earlier, and maybe someone like Davies (who may be had for pretty cheap and worth taking a chance on) from Atlanta.

bucksfan2
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I wonder if fans of other organizations are talking about EE or Deno has hidden talents?

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I think names like

Jorge Cantu
Tim Corcoran
I really thought we should have went after Maicer Izturis a few years back.
Ryan Spilbourghs
Dan Johnson

Really I'd be exploring any player that has upside that we can deal Cormier, Stanton, Weathers, etc. for.

thatcoolguy_22
04-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I think names like

Jorge Cantu
Tim Corcoran
I really thought we should have went after Maicer Izturis a few years back.
Ryan Spilbourghs
Dan Johnson

Really I'd be exploring any player that has upside that we can deal Cormier, Stanton, Weathers, etc. for.

exactly! i would love to see something done with cubs for theirot or the ms for jeremy reed. those 2 would top my list considering our need for a 4th/5th OF atm.

M2
04-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I'd be keen on landing Reed.

TC81190
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Toronto DFAd Francicso Rosario who will be traded in the next week but he'd be hard to keep. He could take Santo's spot for now, but not sure when guys start coming back.

Are you serious? Wasn't he a big prospect not but 2 or so years ago?

I'd make him the 5th man.