PDA

View Full Version : Cards: Carpenter will miss start with sore elbow

NJReds
04-04-2007, 09:40 AM
They're saying he'll only miss one start as a 'precautionary' measure. We'll see, but these things always seem to lead to surgery. It'd be a big blow to the Cardinals.

Cards ace Carpenter injures elbow

AFP
April 4, 2007
ST. LOUIS, United States (AFP) - The world champion St. Louis Cardinals' already shaky rotation absorbed another hit when the club announced Chris Carpenter will miss his next start with right elbow inflammation.

Carpenter was set to start Friday against Houston but will skip the game as a precautionary measure. He will be examined further over the next few days.

The Cardinals lost starters Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver and Jason Marquis as free agents in the offseason and replaced them in the rotation with relievers Adam Wainwright and Braden Looper and free agent Kip Wells, who was injured most of last season. Anthony Reyes is the other member of the rotation.

In Sunday's game against the New York Mets, Carpenter allowed five runs in six innings of a 6-1 loss.

The 2005 Cy Young Award winner, Carpenter was 15-8 with a 3.09 ERA in 32 starts last season.

Chip R
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Uh oh.

LincolnparkRed
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I almost feel sorry for them, oh wait our savior has almost missed as many games over the past 7 years as he's played. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear for Tony

AshkickerMFD
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I would never wish bad luck or harm to a player....but I would like a chances even more if this would happen to Roy Oswalt....He's such a REDS KILLER!

Sea Ray
04-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Inflammation in the elbow after an Opening Day start doesn't bode well for a 162 game season. Things have fallen nicely into place for St Louis the past few years but I think things are catching up with them this year. It happens to all teams unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees. The challenge for Jocketty and Co is to keep these down years to a minimum.

Hey Meat
04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Inflammation in the elbow after an Opening Day start doesn't bode well for a 162 game season. Things have fallen nicely into place for St Louis the past few years but I think things are catching up with them this year. It happens to all teams unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees. The challenge for Jocketty and Co is to keep these down years to a minimum.
Amen, I hope you are right. Kip Wells as your #1 starter. HA!

LoganBuck
04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Carpenter had that same elbow rebuilt several years ago. That doesn't sound good, but players sometime have stuff like this early in the season. If he goes Paul Wilson, version 2005, the Cardinals have a very severe problem. That second Tommy John surgery isn't a very good thing.

Joseph
04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Carpenter had that same elbow rebuilt several years ago. That doesn't sound good, but players sometime have stuff like this early in the season. If he goes Paul Wilson, version 2005, the Cardinals have a very severe problem. That second Tommy John surgery isn't a very good thing.

I'm not at all disputing this based on personal knowledge, as I thought the exact same thing, but according to Rick Tellendar [sp?] of the Post Dispatch during an interview today on XM, he's had shoulder troubles, but never any elbow problems.

Also Rick says he's going to miss at least two starts and will probably be DL'ed retro active to Monday.

bucksfan2
04-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm not at all disputing this based on personal knowledge, as I thought the exact same thing, but according to Rick Tellendar [sp?] of the Post Dispatch during an interview today on XM, he's had shoulder troubles, but never any elbow problems.

Also Rick says he's going to miss at least two starts and will probably be DL'ed retro active to Monday.

Whether it is a shoulder problem or elbow problem its not a good sign for Carpenter and the cards. You never want your ace pitcher to have arm problems in his first start of the year.

Jpup
04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56272

TheWalls
04-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Let's see:

- LaRussa DUI, check
- Carpenter to the DL, check
- Edmonds & Rolen aging nicely (like gorgonzola), check
- Encarnacion on the DL, check
- Mulder recuperating, check
- Nifty 0-2 start vs. Mets, check

Chances of repeat decreasing ever so slightly ever day, check and mate!

WMR
04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
::a single tear rolls down my cheek:: Poor Tony, remind me to send him a nice fruit basket.

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I am going to say this sucks even as a Reds fan.

I miss the games where we pushed the Cardinals and they pushed us. I don't care that means when we might lose or win, it's the exciment, it's what makes it fun.

Oh well eh.

Patrick Bateman
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I am going to say this sucks even as a Reds fan.

I miss the games where we pushed the Cardinals and they pushed us. I don't care that means when we might lose or win, it's the exciment, it's what makes it fun.

Oh well eh.

I'm guessing the Cards will do just fine against us with or without Carpenter. No need to feel sorry for them.

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing the Cards will do just fine against us with or without Carpenter. No need to feel sorry for them.

I don't think they will but I just like the race being a race. I want the race to be like last year, just with us on the smiling side ;) :laugh:

Falls City Beer
04-04-2007, 07:05 PM

I agree. Screw 'em. They've got more payroll and have been pretty blessed in the health department for years. Let 'em get knocked off with injuries for all I care.

I didn't care a whit when the Astros lost Alou in 99 and will cry no tears for the Cards if they lose Carpenter for an extended period.

LincolnparkRed
04-09-2007, 09:57 AM
New info:

After missing his second start of the season with swelling in his elbow, St. Louis Cardinals staff ace Chris Carpenter was planning to pitch Tuesday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Now, the outlook on Carpenter's next start has become murky.

According to a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Carpenter will have an MRI exam Monday to find out the extent of the injury to his right elbow. The 2005 NL Cy Young award winner woke up Sunday morning to swelling in his elbow just a day after throwing a side session. The swelling was similar to the condition after his April 1 start against the New York Mets.

"I don't know what's next except that we're going to get it looked at [Monday]," Carpenter told the paper. He returned to St. Louis on Sunday night.

Jr's Boy
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes anytime I hear elbow inflamation it's a little more serious than teams let on.I hate to see Carpenter or any pitcher have this problem.But it could'nt have happened to a better team though.

cincy09
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Rotoworld is reporting that he has been put on the DL

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2371

TC81190
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I heard arthritis on ESPN today.

remdog
04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
According to the AP:

PITTSBURGH (AP) -Cardinals staff ace Chris Carpenter was placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday after an MRI exam in St. Louis revealed arthritis and a previously undiscovered impingement in his right elbow.

Carpenter, limited to one start this season, will rest for the next 10 days to two weeks and will be re-examined after that. The condition sometimes requires surgery but also can be cured by rest and treatment.

According to a statement issued by the team, there was no evidence of an acute ligament injury - a problem that would have required surgery and likely would have finished Carpenter's season.

An impingement occurs when a thin layer of membrane that lines the elbow becomes caught in the elbow joint. The problem is relatively common among athletes who have a repetitive elbow motion, such as throwing a pitch or swinging a golf club. Arthroscopic surgery can repair the usually painful injury if initial treatment is not successful.

Rem