PDA

View Full Version : Brantley/T.Brenneman outstanding

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I know we'll still have to tolerate Grande this year for a majority of the games that are on TV, but I love this Brantley/Thom B combination. And I knew I would. Brantley is so knowledgeable, was a very good closer for the Reds as we all know for a few years, and grew up rooting for the Reds (in Alabama I believe... I remember him saying when he was a player for the Reds that he was a diehard Reds fan as a kid during the BRM era and I heard him re-tell the story last week on the radio). Brantley brings solid info, and I always think it helps having a "homer" in the booth if they are professional. Brantley wants us to win, but is a pro's pro.

And I really like Thommy B as well. He is a class act and a very good PBP man. Not a HOFer like his father, but solid and then some. I couldn't believe it when it was announced that Brantley and Brenneman were joining FSN (and we were getting 145 games on TV) and I still can't. Just another reason I love Castalini and believe he's committed to getting us back to the World Series. We didn't get a lot of outside free agents during the offseason, other than Alex Gonzalez, but Castalini proved he is willing to spend money by re-signing Harang and Arroyo, and going above and beyond and getting us a real announcing team. (disclaimer: I do like Chris Welsh to an extent, but not nearly as much as either of these guys)

AccordinglyReds
04-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I just hope they don't criticize too much during the game, as they did this past half inning regarding Arroyo's approach to Izturis. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy both Jeff and Thom very much, but I just hope negativity doesn't carry over into the FSN booth.

I like Grande and Welsh, too.

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
That at-bat was good for Arroyo. Pick a contact hitter and give him change ups. He's not a powerful batter, he will just put the ball on the ground. Arroyo is having difficulty with his change up. What better batter than Ceaser (Pizza Pizza!) to test it on?

RBA
04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
That at-bat was good for Arroyo. Pick a contact hitter and give him change ups. He's not a powerful batter, he will just put the ball on the ground. Arroyo is having difficulty with his change up. What better batter than Ceaser (Pizza Pizza!) to test it on?

That was my line of thinking too. Pts for you.

Joseph
04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Thom, being 'nationwide' [not ZZ Top like, but nationwide none the less] seems to bring something more professional than our regular guys.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I really like Brantley's cockiness he brings. His jokes about Ted Lilly and all of that just make me laugh. In large doses he may get kind of annoying, but I find it amusing right now.

redsfanmia
04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Brantley is excellent on the tv side of things, he just needs to work or his radio pbp.

kaldaniels
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Brantley is excellent on the tv side of things, he just needs to work or his radio pbp.

I enjoy Brantley as well. Like him or not, you gotta love that he would rather be a Reds broadcaster rather than have his kushy BT gig.

Team Clark
04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Love them both. Very tired of Welsh's old spiels. He's better suited for the pre-game shows where everything can be about him. Grande is a great guy but the "gee, golly, shucks" stuff really wears you down YEAR after YEAR.

Hey Meat
04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
I like it so far. I could see Brantley wearing me down after a while, but I still like him.

pedro
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I enjoy them more than George & Chris.

redsfan30
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I really enjoyed thier debut together.

westofyou
04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Not one mention of "Friends and Family", "Good Times and smiling faces" not one average play was deemed "Brilliant" nor was a hardship endured recanted before a cutaway to a child eating a hot dog in dads lap.

I loved it.

mroby85
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
it was excellent! seems more like a playoff atmosphere when those guys are announcing. it's also nice that they're spending the night talking about baseball, instead of what good guys certain people are, and Daddy Wags, lol.

RFS62
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Vast improvement over George and Chris.

Really enjoyed it.

6-4-3
04-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I also enjoyed Thom and Jeff. They seemed to be into the game, thinking along with strategy, and rooting for the Reds. The only thing that got to me was the repeated mentioning of how some balls would've been out of the park in the summer. While this is true, tonight wasn't the summer, and the Cubs were playing under the same conditions. And if that's all I have to complain about they did a fine job.
My .02 I like George and Chris as well.

Degenerate39
04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I did enjoy their commentary during this game. They did a fine job today.

smith288
04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Brantley was awfully critical of Lilly as he mowed down our potent lineup. Hopefully he doesnt broadcast with rose colored glasses all year. Lilly whupped us.

redsfan30
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
The best part was when Brantely said "what's a co-ed?"

Thom replied...."a good thing."

:laugh:

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
The best part was when Brantely said "what's a co-ed?"

Thom replied...."a good thing."

:laugh:

"we just call 'em girls around here"

fearofpopvol1
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I actually really enjoyed the two of them together and I haven't always cared for Brantley. Fine combo.

adampad
04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I like the comment Thom made after JB said Burton just got his shoes wet.

WVRedsFan
04-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Great broadcasting. So different from George's "gee golly whiz" stuff and Chris Creepers incessant talking--never shuts up.

I give them an "A" and say they're keepers.

AtomicDumpling
04-05-2007, 02:33 AM
I really enjoyed Brantley for sure, and I like Thom too. I like Chris Welsh. George Grande annoys me greatly.

I thought the criticism of Arroyo for walking Izturis was justified and I am glad he said it. Criticism is fine as long as it is done constructively. Sometimes Marty bothers me when he starts whining about the state of Reds affairs. I think his criticism borders on being a sore loser sometimes.

I think Brantley is going to educate many Reds fans this year. He will increase the baseball knowledge in this town. That is a very good thing.

WMR
04-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Anything to get rid of the d-bag Grande! Hallelujah! Who do we address our letters to at FSN or the Reds?

jhiller21
04-05-2007, 03:34 AM
I'm loving Brantley so far, he exudes the same confidence/cockiness that he wants the pitcher on the mound to show in a game. He's pitching personified.

His honest insight into the game is also very refreshing, a game with Grande and Brantley would be absolutely hilarious to watch.

"He GOT IT, he GOT IT!!!"

"Yes, he did there George :rolleyes: a nice play by Freel there in centerfield"

I agree he needs to work on his radio PBP.

sonny
04-05-2007, 03:43 AM
"And Grande is Gonnaaaa beeeee Gooooone!"

Jpup
04-05-2007, 05:33 AM
I have this feeling that George Grande won't be around much longer. Thom is so much better it's borderline criminal. It's nice to hear them talk about the game and Reds players without hearing a bunch gushing over the opponent.

RFS62
04-05-2007, 07:00 AM
"And Grande is Gonnaaaa beeeee Gooooone!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

joeredleg
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I did kind of miss George and Chris last night during the game. But Thom and Jeff were great together.