PDA

View Full Version : I despise the Cubs....

Dunner44
04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
It needed to be said, and I figgured my 1,000 post was a good time to say it...

Clicky (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/lpvball12/cubs%20suck/Cubs_tradition.jpg)

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
The Reds are making Ted Lilly look like Randy Johnson...

TC81190
04-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I despise their "fans."

redsfan30
04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I despise their fans.

You mean "fans."

Dracodave
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
You mean "fans."

You mean "talking monkeys."

dougdirt
04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Well that was embarrassing. Cubs get a 2 runs single and the place goes nuts. They need to not allow more than 500 people wearing the opposing teams colors into the stadium.

mroby85
04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
maybe if the reds had better fans, they couldn't get a ticket! i never see hardly any opposing fans inside the horeshoe other than in the student sections. EVEN at michigan games.

redsfan30
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
maybe if the reds had better fans, they couldn't get a ticket! i never see hardly any opposing fans inside the horeshoe other than in the student sections. EVEN at michigan games.

Not fair to compare the two.

And the Cubs "fans" get into every park in America, not just here.

mroby85
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
i agree to some degree, but if reds fans bought season tickets, and didn't sell it to the opposing team, this wouldn't be a problem. i understand that this is unrealistic, but im just saying, there were a lot of empty seats there tonight, which makes it easier for the cubs fans to get access to seats.

nineworldseries
04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately it was also too cold tonight to chuck peanuts at unsuspecting Cubs fans. :(

mroby85
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
haha, i've always been tempted to have an "egg drop" from the upper level, lol.

Degenerate39
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm right there with you Dunner

dougdirt
04-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Horseshoe has 7 or 8 games a year. GABP has 81.
Shoe draws from all over the state. GABP from Cincinnati.

LARGE difference there.

rotnoid
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Horseshoe has 7 or 8 games a year. GABP has 81.
Shoe draws from all over the state. GABP from Cincinnati.

LARGE difference there.

The Shoe also holds most all of it's games on Saturday. This was a cold, cold Wednesday during school. Huge difference there.

Oh yeah, I hate the Cubs.

guttle11
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Chicago is also much bigger than Cincinnati, meaning the Cubs have more transplant fans, and there is also a little thing called WGN. If the Reds had the chance to be on national television regularly (their own broadcasts, not ESPN), they'd probably have more fans than the Cubs, given they've actually won in 99.999999% of people's lives.

As for attendance at the ballpark...Reds fans are very much "show me" fans. We take more pride in our team than we do our stadium, or our own fandom.

mroby85
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
i see all of your points, i just get tired of seeing st. louis packed out every game, when we're just as much of a baseball city as they are, and can't seem to draw the same crowd.

Caveat Emperor
04-04-2007, 11:10 PM
I despise their "fans."

They used to really bother me, but then I realized that most of them will probably go to their graves having never seen a World Championship with their own eyes -- infants included. Then I started to really feel bad for them. It must be awful to go through life so delusional.

redsfanfalcon
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Wrigley Field is a definite experience...there is really only one other venue like it in Fenway. There are a lot of Cub fans that have no idea when they last won a World Series (1908). It frustrates me to see them drunk off their arses and yelling obscenities at Reds fans. I guess when you haven't won a World Series in almost 100 years, a 4-1 win is monumental.

dougdirt
04-04-2007, 11:14 PM
i see all of your points, i just get tired of seeing st. louis packed out every game, when we're just as much of a baseball city as they are, and can't seem to draw the same crowd.

Yeah, thing is, they have the best player in baseball and they have had a winning season 7 straight years, including going to 2 of the last 3 world series and winning one last year.

If the Reds did that, even without Pujols, they would pack the house too.

dougdirt
04-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Wrigley Field is a definite experience...there is really only one other venue like it in Fenway. There are a lot of Cub fans that have no idea when they last won a World Series (1908). It frustrates me to see them drunk off their arses and yelling obscenities at Reds fans. I guess when you haven't won a World Series in almost 100 years, a 4-1 win is monumental.

funny story about drunk Cubs fans....
few years ago I was at a game here in Cincinnati and some guys were sitting behind me that were Cubs fans and they were talking about how our stadium (GABP) was a peice of crap. Now let me remind you like I did them, they had a net hanging up to catch that peice of crap stadium as it literally fell apart. They had no idea what I was talking about. Now while like most of the posters here, we represent a small percentage of fans who actively and passionately follow our teams, but uneducated fans really rub me the wrong way.

TeamBoone
04-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Granted, tonight certainly wasn't a sellout, and I don't know how many Cubs fans were there, but for it being 39 degrees at gametime and growing colder, a lot of the 25,965 in attendance stuck it out for the duration. (and that's not a bad crowd for the second night of baseball, even more impressive because of the weather conditions)

LoganBuck
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Death to the Cubs!

Another pox on their house!

Wrigley Field is a firetrap and a quaint window into yesteryear. You know when horses used to crap in the street, and they had chamberpots in the restrooms. The seats are also turned at weird angles so that you must turn your neck funny to see the game.

Funny story, my father's family is entirely filled with lifelong Cubs fans. My maternal grandfather saved me from eternal damnation by taking me to Reds games as a youth, and I passed on that same love of the Reds to my much younger brother, who never really knew our grandfather, and my sons. My paternal cousins whom I am very close to (4 others the same age as me) are varying degrees of Cubbie Insanity. Ranging from they are going to do it this year for sure, to a SABR guy that is just ashamed of the Cubs actions. He told me a funny story that at Christmas, his brother in law, another Cubs fan, had got him a Soriano shirt. A few minutes before they opened presents the B-I-L had asked him his opinion on the Cubs signing Soriano, and he ripped it as money thrown down the rat hole on the back half of the contract. When he opened up the present he just kind of smiled nicely and had the old ackward moment no one likes to experience.

bucksfan2
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
There are cubs fans all over this state. I had a college roommate from Celina who was a cubs fan. If you bought tickets for an out of town game, booked a hotel room, etc. you would come to the game regardless of the weather. If I were a fan and had tickets I would have had to think twice about it because of the weather. They also are the loveable loser which generates a bigger fan base not to mention all their games are boadcast over basic cable tv.

As for Wrigley, it is the best stadium I have ever been to. If are a fan and want to watch a baseball game there isn't a better place to do it. Yes it is falling apart but none the less I would go up there to watch the cubs play the pirates (granted I would root for the pirates).

Dunner44
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I just hate the Cubs "fans" who profess to be fans of the team and then have no clue that they are even playing. My roommate would be an example. He relies on me to tell him if there was a game and if the Cubs won.

TOBTTReds
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I just hate the Cubs "fans" who profess to be fans of the team and then have no clue that they are even playing. My roommate would be an example. He relies on me to tell him if there was a game and if the Cubs won.

I know too many of them. I know much more about the Cubs than thousands of their fans do, and I don't know all too much about them.

Hey Meat
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
This excitement of the Cubs will be short lived and their fans will go back to just having a good time at the game getting drunk. Come on, we are talking about a team cursed by a goat from a city that was burned by a cow. They will come around and do as they have for the greater part of the last 60 years. I will say this though, I am hard core Reds fan, have been since I was a kid during the Big Red Machine Era, but I sure love Wrigley Field.

Bobcat J
04-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Chicago is also much bigger than Cincinnati, meaning the Cubs have more transplant fans, and there is also a little thing called WGN. If the Reds had the chance to be on national television regularly (their own broadcasts, not ESPN), they'd probably have more fans than the Cubs, given they've actually won in 99.999999% of people's lives.

I have to disagree with this. Being on national television and winning didn't exactly make the Braves popular nationwide.

M2
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
The Cubs are so hapless how can you hate them? I'll mention this again, the franchise just broke the Phillies' record for most consecutive seasons without a championship.

I've heard the complaint that while the fans might be affable losers, they're bad winners, but how often is that an issue?

bigredbunter
04-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I have to disagree with this. Being on national television and winning didn't exactly make the Braves popular nationwide.

Don't know how you quantify popularity, but I sure remember being at Riverfront in the early-mid 90s when there were plenty of Atlanta hats & tomohawks (spelling?)--Braves fans in Ohio were coming out of the woodwork during those years. I guess they still exist, but I think Cubs fans are a different breed than the bandwagon jumpers (the kind that sprouted in the
90s for the Braves or more recently for the Patriots). Cubs fans suffer from a peculiar type of delusion in which winning doesn't feel quite as good as pretending you're involved in the "suffering" of losing with an entire franchise year in and year out.