PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo in the 8th

Newman4
04-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Did anyone else cringe when Arroyo came out in the 8th with 99 pitches thus far and as cold as it was tonight? With the cold temperature and his pitch count up, it seems like a recipe for an injury.

sonny
04-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Yep, I didn't like it. Especially with all those experienced arms in the pen

AtomicDumpling
04-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I didn't much care for it either. Especially this early in the year with a well-rested bullpen.

I have seen Narron make much worse decisions with Arroyo and Harang last year though. Several times he left them in to throw over 120 pitches. That is dangerous. It will come back to bite him sooner or later.

WMR
04-05-2007, 03:07 AM
It's amazing how quickly my off-season generated reserve of goodwill towards Jerry Narron is dissipating.

All his dumb pitching decisions from last season, esp. in regards to Harang and Arroyo are becoming more and more memorable in my mind.

bucksfan2
04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Did anyone else cringe when Arroyo came out in the 8th with 99 pitches thus far and as cold as it was tonight? With the cold temperature and his pitch count up, it seems like a recipe for an injury.

I didn't want to bring this up because the reds won on opening day but he ran Harang out in the 7th with a pitch count of 99. With a big lead there was no reason to run him back out there for another inning this early in the season. I know Arroyo is a rubber arm but it doesn't make sense to me to run these pitchers out there with 99 pitches on their first start of the year. I think this time of year I think the pen also needs work to get loose and ready to pitch. The way Narron handles pitchers makes me think of Dusty Baker and his cubs days.

Newman4
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Those back to back singles to Lee and Ramirez cost him two more runs on the stat sheet too. 7IP 2R looks at lot better than 7IP 4R.