PDA

View Full Version : Both lineups to start a game thread?

M2
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I just opened today's game thread and I had to scroll to the second page to find the Cubs' lineup. That strikes me as the sort of basic info that should be in the opening post, both lineups and the starting pitchers.

I figured I'd toss it out to see if people would like that to be the standard operating procedure or if they're fine just having the Reds lineup listed in the first post of a game thread.

WMR
04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, I think so. In the past, whoever started the thread had the responsibility to go back and edit their first post with the line-ups whenever they were in fact posted.

westofyou
04-05-2007, 12:40 PM
When the lineup is posted by C Trent it's just a lineup.

When the opposing team has a lineup then it's a game.

RedFanAlways1966
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I just opened today's game thread and I had to scroll to the second page to find the Cubs' lineup. That strikes me as the sort of basic info that should be in the opening post, both lineups and the starting pitchers.

I figured I'd toss it out to see if people would like that to be the standard operating procedure or if they're fine just having the Reds lineup listed in the first post of a game thread.

Both lineups s/b the standard. :thumbup:

Red Leader
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
When the lineup is posted by C Trent it's just a lineup.

When the opposing team has a lineup then it's a game.

Agreed. Well stated, as usual, woy.

paintmered
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available. :dunno:

Chip R
04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available. :dunno:

Lineups seem to be posted earlier this year thanks to Trent's blog. I can't recall Marc ever posting them this early and when he did it was usually both so it really wasn't an issue.

pedro
04-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I think waiting for both lineups to be posted will have the added benefit of keeping the prattle to a minimum before the game starts. Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.

BRM
04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.

It has become a RedsZone tradition. ;)

Chip R
04-05-2007, 05:46 PM

A tradition unlike any other.

WMR
04-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I think waiting for both lineups to be posted will have the added benefit of keeping the prattle to a minimum before the game starts. Sometimes it seems there is 5-6 pages of calling Narron an idiot before the game even starts.

:lol:

remdog
04-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Don't forget now, Castellini is pushing 'the power of tradition'. :evil:

As has been pointed out (most notably when discussing how much revenue the Yankees are entitled to) a team can't play itself so I would agree that the thread should open with both lineups.

Rem

MrCinatit
04-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Well darn it, it should.

Besides, it could get rid of a "I started the game thread first!" trend I am fearful of seeing. Yeah, it is quite all right to get excited about opening day and starting early...I just dread seeing it done for September games against the Pirates.

geniusMoment
04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't understand the big deal, don't read the thread if it upsets you about it starting an hour or two earlier. I would prefer it be up once the Reds lineup is posted, as then you get to discuss the game and the reds order more.

GAC
04-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I thought that was the rule from the beginning - no game thread until both lineups are available.

http://www.durham21.co.uk/images/term2_01/lineup.jpg

CTA513
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Its not a big deal to me as long as the person who started the thread updates his/her first post with the opposing teams lineup when it becomes available.

Caveat Emperor
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Its not a big deal to me as long as the person who started the thread updates his/her first post with the opposing teams lineup when it becomes available.

If the opposing team's lineup isn't up, then all you're really discussing is the Reds. If all you're discussing is the Reds, then the chatter belongs on ORG or RL and not on the game thread forum.

Just IMO.

Caseyfan21
04-06-2007, 03:35 PM

I agree with this. I think it's great to have a few pages of discussion before the game actually starts. Having a place to talk might discourage people from starting other threads in the other forums if they just feel like getting an opinion off their back. As long as the original poster goes back and edits in the lineups in the first post (and correctly titles the thread) I really don't care when game threads get started. Especially if someone is going to the game from out of town it might be cool to start a thread a little early if RZ'ers want to make plans, discuss a city, etc. Like when I'm going to Chicago next weekend just as an example off the top of my head. Then people can get advice about where to park, etc for a game without starting another thread since it is game related.

TeamBoone
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Today's discussion: It's SNOWING in Cincinnati!

I feel so sorry for these guys... we had all the good weather before they arrived (OD excluded).