PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting MLB TV anyone recommend it?

captainmorgan07
04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
i have been pondering for sometime gettin MLB TV what are some of your feelings on it. I am doing this partly because im out of market and are sick of watching pirate games on tv

NastyBoy
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I have was is now called MLB.tv Premium. I have had it every year since it was introduced. If you are a Reds fan, you will love it. I do not get to see every game live, but if i miss one, I can always watch the hightlights or condensed game... which is like watching the entire game in 20 minutes. MLB is definitely on the cutting edge when it comes to internet cotent.

thatcoolguy_22
04-06-2007, 02:48 AM
i have this year and in the past but I am switching to extra innings on cable. I am getting fed up with constantly having to download new plug-ins for every ridiculous right guard commercial and whatever new server they switch to. Today I had to miss the first 4 innings because it kept trying to load some commercial and it would not tell me what program i needed to find. goodluck though

Jpup
04-06-2007, 05:11 AM
i have this year and in the past but I am switching to extra innings on cable. I am getting fed up with constantly having to download new plug-ins for every ridiculous right guard commercial and whatever new server they switch to. Today I had to miss the first 4 innings because it kept trying to load some commercial and it would not tell me what program i needed to find. goodluck though

WTF? I have had MLB.tv since they started it. I have never had a problem such as this.

I highly recommend it. It's much better with 700k streams than ever. I would say it's better than analog TV.

Northern Red
04-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I just purchased the basic package for the month to see if I would like it or not. I live just south of Detroit, so I thought I would be able to see all of the Reds games. I'm amazed at how well it works. I even have a "slow" broadband connection (768 Kb DSL), but it doesn't matter. Very smooth playback.

So, far, however, tonight's was the first game I was able to watch live. All of the Cubs games were national blackouts. I'll be upset if that continues. I'm not sure why all 3 of them where blocked out. Perhaps, it was due to WGN or something.

Quality-wise, though, it works great.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I love it. I've watched a ton of baseball in just the few days of the season, with no problems at all. I have the premium 700k stream, and switching from one to the other you can see the difference.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I had it last year and I have it this year. This year I have the 700k edition and it is much better than the 400k. I actually like it a lot more this year.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Yeah I've never had to do this either.

pedro
04-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I think it's great.

Grounds_Crew
04-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I have it and it's awesome. If you can't watch the game...for example...if you're at work...just plug in some headphones and listen to Marty call the game on WLW. It gives you the option to watch or listen. The quality is great with Premium, so it's worth the extra few bucks to get that versus the standard.

I say do it, they let you try it for 5 days free anyway.

TOBTTReds
04-07-2007, 01:33 AM
I like it. I like being able to watch other games too. Like a late close Cards game or something.

I have trouble with the 700k bc somehow my crappy yet expensive internet struggles to connect very well.

dsmith421
04-07-2007, 01:39 AM
It depends on the quality of your PC and your Internet connection. I have an older laptop and it was of questionable quality last season. I could get 20-30 minutes before it started buffering...I used to follow the games on Sportsline and connect when things got interesting.

If you have top-of-the-line equipment you'll love it.

PMand JM
04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I get it monthly, and with the Mosaic offering, have really enjoyed it. As a monthly customer, there is no disadvantage pricewise to doing it this way, and if things get out of hand, you can cancel anytime. Hope you enjoy.

cincy09
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I just purchased the basic package for the month to see if I would like it or not. I live just south of Detroit, so I thought I would be able to see all of the Reds games. I'm amazed at how well it works. I even have a "slow" broadband connection (768 Kb DSL), but it doesn't matter. Very smooth playback.

So, far, however, tonight's was the first game I was able to watch live. All of the Cubs games were national blackouts. I'll be upset if that continues. I'm not sure why all 3 of them where blocked out. Perhaps, it was due to WGN or something.
Quality-wise, though, it works great.

I'm in Michigan too, and all of the games were on for me. I'm actually closer to Chicago than you so I wonder why there was a blackout? WGN didn't even carry those last two games.

Also the premium is certainly worth the extra money. The 700k allows you to go full screen and still have decent quality.

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm in Michigan too, and all of the games were on for me. I'm actually closer to Chicago than you so I wonder why there was a blackout? WGN didn't even carry those last two games.

Also the premium is certainly worth the extra money. The 700k allows you to go full screen and still have decent quality.

I'm pretty sure it judges the distance based on your zip code. I'm actually closer to Toledo (@ 4 mi. from the state line) than Detroit.

Today's game is listed as another national blackout. Do you see the same thing? That means I'm only going to be able to see 1 of the first 5 games live. Who wants to watch the game after the fact, unless for some reason, they don't know the outcome? Especially, when it's a 162 game season. If it's a big series later in the year, maybe I would watch it.

I've been thinking about changing my address to a friend's address on the West coast, just to make sure I'm out of the market. :evil: Of course, they've been listed as national blackouts, so I'm not sure that would make a difference. Although, you state you've been able to see all of them, anyway. I don't get it. It sounds as though the "national blackout" is popycock. If all I'm going to be able to do is listen to the game live, I'll quit paying for the service. I can listen for free. I've been able to dial in 700 WLW as far north as Traverse City. I'll listen through the static on the radio, and the static of my wife complaining about the static on the radio because I can hear enough "bits and pieces" to make out what's going on (except when the "old lefthander" is doing play-by-play - there's too many darn pauses). That's just the kind of fan I am. :laugh:

Edskin
04-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Northern-

According to MLB.com the only team with a blackout restriction in Lambertville should be the Tigers. I live in Oklahoma, and I have gotten each Reds game via mlb.tv w/o any problems at all. I would definitely call mlb and ask what's going on--- you should be able to get all the Reds games.

pedro
04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it judges the distance based on your zip code. I'm actually closer to Toledo (@ 4 mi. from the state line) than Detroit.

Today's game is listed as another national blackout. Do you see the same thing? That means I'm only going to be able to see 1 of the first 5 games live. Who wants to watch the game after the fact, unless for some reason, they don't know the outcome? Especially, when it's a 162 game season. If it's a big series later in the year, maybe I would watch it.

I've been thinking about changing my address to a friend's address on the West coast, just to make sure I'm out of the market. :evil: Of course, they've been listed as national blackouts, so I'm not sure that would make a difference. Although, you state you've been able to see all of them, anyway. I don't get it. It sounds as though the "national blackout" is popycock. If all I'm going to be able to do is listen to the game live, I'll quit paying for the service. I can listen for free. I've been able to dial in 700 WLW as far north as Traverse City. I'll listen through the static on the radio, and the static of my wife complaining about the static on the radio because I can hear enough "bits and pieces" to make out what's going on (except when the "old lefthander" is doing play-by-play - there's too many darn pauses). That's just the kind of fan I am. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure they do this based on your CC billing address.

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Northern-

According to MLB.com the only team with a blackout restriction in Lambertville should be the Tigers. I live in Oklahoma, and I have gotten each Reds game via mlb.tv w/o any problems at all. I would definitely call mlb and ask what's going on--- you should be able to get all the Reds games.

Thanks, Ed. I did send them an email a couple of days ago, but have yet to receive a reply. Perhaps, it is time to call them.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking at to verify the blackout restriction? All I've done so far is go to the "multimedia guide" on mlb.tv and select from the available game links for either video or audio. Today's list for example, shows every game link posted as a national blackout. That list currently, includes:

BAL @ NYY
CHC @ MIL
PIT @ CIN
DET @ KC
LAD @ SF
MIN @ CWS
NYM @ ATL

Should I be looking somewhere else? As far as I know, I'm logged in. If I'm not, it always asks me to login when it's loading whatever format of whatever game I've clicked on.

Thanks for the reply.

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure they do this based on your CC billing address.

Darnit! :p: Yah, that would make more sense, I guess.

captainmorgan07
04-07-2007, 12:54 PM
thanks input was greatly appreciated i just purchased it thursday and i like it already

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Ed, I found the link. Although the list is rather extensive, my zip code is not on it. So, based on their information, I should be able to see all of the Reds games, as you said. Regardless of how they figure it out, I should be able to watch them. My CC and home address are the same.

Boston Red
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
For some idiotic reason, MLB blacks out EVERY day game for the whole country when there is a Fox game of the week. So Reds' fans are held hostage by the effing Yanks and Red Sox ever Saturday.

Grounds_Crew
04-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah, weird...every game on MLB.tv is blacked out today. I dont get it. The game isn't on tv up here in Pittsburgh, so I wonder why it's blacked out...but...every game is, so that's weird.

pahster
04-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Last year the blackout ended at around 5 or 6 central time, so I got to watch most Saturday games. Not so today since they moved the game time up.

Grounds_Crew
04-07-2007, 01:10 PM
So, for those of you who have had this in the past...why exactly do they black out Saturday games? I mean, that's pretty lame for subscribers.

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm on the phone now, waiting for a live voice to pickup. The opening statement said all games starting prior to 7 on Saturday are blacked out due to international restrictions...blah, blah, blah. I don't remember if they included Sunday or not. I'll let you know for sure after I speak with someone.

Boston Red
04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
It's only Saturday games when Fox is broadcasting a game. Since Fox basically ignores baseball until after the All-Star Break, you won't have to worry about these blackouts much.

Northern Red
04-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, after 30 minutes waiting on the phone, this is what I learned...

1. As BR has mentioned a couple of times, now (sorry, I missed the 1st mention, BR), all Saturday games before 7pm, Fox has the right to enforce national blackouts.

2. On Sunday, any games after 5pm, ESPN has the right to enforce national blackouts.

3. Pertains to me only, but for those keeping score at home...In true customer-service-oriented-fashion, "Yah, you should be able to see all of the Reds games. Next time you watch a game not on the weekend, if you have trouble, call us so we can override it."

I'm not sure what they'll override, since she asked for my zip code to confirm I could watch the games. Everything on file with them has the same zip code - the very zip code I gave her to confirm I could watch the Reds' games. Not to mention, I'll have to suffer through waiting for them to answer. And look at all the action I missed already today. It's 3-2. If this where a weekday game, I could've missed all the scoring.

Ah, well. The things we'll suffer through as fans, right? I suppose it is still worth it to watch the best team in the land - at least in our hearts.

Go Reds! Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Grounds_Crew
04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, after 30 minutes waiting on the phone, this is what I learned...

1. As BR has mentioned a couple of times, now (sorry, I missed the 1st mention, BR), all Saturday games before 7pm, Fox has the right to enforce national blackouts.

2. On Sunday, any games after 5pm, ESPN has the right to enforce national blackouts.

3. Pertains to me only, but for those keeping score at home...In true customer-service-oriented-fashion, "Yah, you should be able to see all of the Reds games. Next time you watch a game not on the weekend, if you have trouble, call us so we can override it."

I'm not sure what they'll override, since she asked for my zip code to confirm I could watch the games. Everything on file with them has the same zip code - the very zip code I gave her to confirm I could watch the Reds' games. Not to mention, I'll have to suffer through waiting for them to answer. And look at all the action I missed already today. It's 3-2. If this where a weekday game, I could've missed all the scoring.

Ah, well. The things we'll suffer through as fans, right? I suppose it is still worth it to watch the best team in the land - at least in our hearts.

Go Reds! Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Thanks for the updates and info.

Marc D
04-07-2007, 02:45 PM
First year I'm doing MLB tv over the EI package.

I like it because I can still get a lot of work done at the computer as I watch/listen. The weekend thing is a pain but I'm used to it after a few seasons of EI. Quality obviously isn't as good as regular sattelite TV but I can live with it. Overall I'd recommend MLB TV.

Kradokk
04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I am doing mlb.tv premium for the first time. Usually I do the EI package, but being that I miss watching games, I would Tivo it, and watch the highlights later.

That got pretty pointless when I realized that with mlb.tv, I could just watch their highligh clip, or even the condensed game. I am been happy with the quality so far.

Living in CA I dont get blacked out of Reds games too often either :)

vaticanplum
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
on the recommendation of my friend I am getting hte radio package. You get EVERTY game, bothe broadacasts, for $15. This is the best presetn I have ever bought myself. If you wantt o fork out less money, I think this is sa good way to go. You can listen to vin scully and John miller all you want. and john ssterling although I think I'm the only person ohn the planet who likes John Sterling.

Moonlite Graham
04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Okay, went on the road this week, just signed up for MLB TV and already Im not really loving it.

Before I say anything more, it may have to do with my setup.

Iam doing this on my laptop.
Iam on a wireless connection, and its not the fastest.

But I can get the audio of the television broadcast, but the video is 2 seconds of action.....5 minutes of nothing but a still picture.....2 seconds of action.:bang:

And my favorite word....buffering:angry:

Am I screwed unless I can get a better wireless or wired connection????

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Moon.

Cicero
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I have DirectTV with the sports package and missed a total of four games last year.They have all the FSN channels in the package and WGN.