PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox question

Degenerate39
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I can't think of the name of the song but it's Neil Diamond who sings it I think. They play it during the 8th inning I think. It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the song.

DTCromer
04-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't think of the name of the song but it's Neil Diamond who sings it I think. They play it during the 8th inning I think. It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the song.

Sweet Caroline

The even better part is that most Red Sox fans have no idea why they do it. . . they just do it.

Degenerate39
04-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Sweet Caroline

The even better part is that most Red Sox fans have no idea why they do it. . . they just do it.

YES! Thanks your a life saver. I couldn't remember the title to save my life.

blumj
04-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Sweet Caroline

Do you know why they do it?

DTCromer
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Do you know why they do it?

Nope. I was looking as to why they did it and there were several articles with quotes from fans and they have no idea. Honestly, no one really knows how it happened.

blumj
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Nope. I was looking as to why they did it and there were several articles with quotes from fans and they have no idea. Honestly, no one really knows how it happened.

I don't know how true this is or where I heard it, but the story I heard is that they played it one day because someone who works at Fenway had just had a baby they named Caroline. And when they played it, a whole bunch of people started singing along, people who hang out at some bars where, for whatever reason, Sweet Caroline is this big drinking song, so all these people were already conditioned to singing along to Sweet Caroline while they were drinking. And they just kept playing it because it kept getting that reaction.

dabvu2498
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Here's your answer, straight from Beantown: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/29/another_mystery_of_the_diamond_explained_at_last/

blumj
04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, I told you I didn't know if it was true or not. Too bad, the baby named Caroline was my favorite part.

dabvu2498
04-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, I told you I didn't know if it was true or not. Too bad, the baby named Caroline was my favorite part.

Jason Varitek named his daughter Caroline... but that was after the song had become a tradition.

blumj
04-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Jason Varitek named his daughter Caroline... but that was after the song had become a tradition.
Okay, that's cute enough for me.

M2
04-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Sweet Caroline is this big drinking song, so all these people were already conditioned to singing along to Sweet Caroline while they were drinking. And they just kept playing it because it kept getting that reaction.

Exactly. I think every frat in America plays it at every party and was doing so long before it blared across the speakers at Fenway. I remember belting out the "bom bom bom" between the lyrics at the Crossroads Pub (near the corner of Mass. and Beacon) in the late 80s. My guess is it was a tradition that was at least 15 years old by that time, probably started by boozing non-hippies who were playing "Hot August Night" on a continuous loop.