PDA

View Full Version : How about Hamilton starts in CF and Freel off the bench?

fearofpopvol1
04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Since everyone is so head over heels about Hamilton, why not? Defensively, this should be a wash or maybe a slight improvement with Hamilton. Freel could then be the speed off the bench the team needs and he could obviously still fill in for when Junior or Phillips need a day off. You could bat Phillips lead off since this 3-hole thing isn't exactly working as planned.

I think you've gotta at least give this a few tries to see how it plays out.

TeamBoone
04-06-2007, 03:56 PM
He was scheduled to start yesterday (not sure which position), but was scratched because of flu symptoms. His wife had left the previous game with those same symptoms.

I'm sure he was heartbroken too.

Heath
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Hamilton will get his time without a doubt.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Since everyone is so head over heels about Hamilton, why not? Defensively, this should be a wash or maybe a slight improvement with Hamilton. Freel could then be the speed off the bench the team needs and he could obviously still fill in for when Junior or Phillips need a day off. You could bat Phillips lead off since this 3-hole thing isn't exactly working as planned.

I don't think Phillips is near patient enough to lead off. I think he swings at every single slider that is thrown to him. And he swings like they're fastballs.

Honestly I'd rather have Hamilton lead off than Phillips. But I'd like to see what Hamilton does for a couple months of starting a couple days a week before starting him over Freel.

Jpup
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Hamilton will get his time without a doubt.

exactly. I think we are all excited for him, but Ryan Freel is the Reds center fielder this season. I am glad about that. There will be plenty of days for Josh to play.

registerthis
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Honestly I'd rather have Hamilton lead off than Phillips.

Given a choice between those two I'd have Phillips leading off every single game.

But that just shows you the pitiful choices the Reds have for the leadoff spot in the event Freel is not playing.

Degenerate39
04-06-2007, 04:03 PM
No thanks he had a good spring but I wouldn't put him in the starting lineup. How many minor league games did he even play in before the drug problem?

reds44
04-06-2007, 04:03 PM
We all love Josh Hamilton, but he has to prove he can hit before he starts everyday, much less leads off.

If Freel gets hurt, neither Phillips or Hamilton should lead off. Hatteberg should.

Jpup
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
No thanks he had a good spring but I wouldn't put him in the starting lineup. How many minor league games did he even play in before the drug problem?

why does that matter if he can get it done?

reds44
How does anyone know he can get it done?

joeberk
For some odd reason, my gut tells me Freel's done better in the past when he plays 3-4 times a week. When he plays for an extended period, he doesn't seem to do as well.

Guess I should look at the stats, huh?

Jpup
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
How does anyone know he can get it done?

I guess they need to find out don't they? The only way to do that is to let him play when he gets better. I wouldn't give him the start, but I would play him as much as possible, which is exactly what the Reds are going to do.

Matt700wlw
04-06-2007, 04:14 PM
This is a serious question.....it may not sound it though.

When a recovering drug addict is sick, and needs medicine, do they risk the chance of relapse because of the prescribed drugs (moreso than normal)?

Kinda scary, if true.

Heath
04-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Don Gullett needed a year in Sioux Falls.

Dave Winfield went straight to San Diego.

Maybe he doesn't need the "development".

If Matt Murton doesn't have an out-of-body experience diving after that sinking line drive, our rose-colored glass of Josh Hamilton would get more red and we'd be happy for the kid.

Again, he'll get his time.

Heath
04-06-2007, 04:19 PM

When a recovering drug addict is sick, and needs medicine, do they risk the chance of relapse because of the prescribed drugs (moreso than normal)?

Kinda scary, if true.

It's part of your medical history and a good doctor would "figure out" the best way to handle that.

If it's viral, he's not getting anything - you have to have it run the course.

reds44
04-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Kinda scary, if true.
I'm sure that is something he, his doctors, and his family have considered and are monitoring.

Jpup
04-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Kinda scary, if true.

I have no idea, but I don't think pills were ever the problem. I think the Reds, or at least, I hope are keeping a close eye on his every move. He'll be fine.

OSUmed2010
04-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Kinda scary, if true.

Most medicines probably wouldn't lead you back to the road of drug abuse. The only ones that would probably do this are strong narcotics given to very sick people or people in extreme pain. I'm guessing if he got anything for the flu, it would have no impact on his drug addiciton.

rotnoid
04-06-2007, 11:26 PM
We all love Josh Hamilton, but he has to prove he can hit before he starts everyday, much less leads off.

If Freel gets hurt, neither Phillips or Hamilton should lead off. Hatteberg should.

I thought I was the only one. I know it's not a popular choice and he's not the fastest guy in the world, but given the choices, his patience at the plate (ie see a lot of pitches for the other guys) and ability to get on base would make him the obvious choice, IMO.

6-4-3
04-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I know it's not a popular choice and he's not the fastest guy in the world, but given the choices, his patience at the plate (ie see a lot of pitches for the other guys) and ability to get on base would make him the obvious choice, IMO.

See Kevin Youkilis in Boston last year.

Degenerate39
04-07-2007, 11:04 AM

He hasn't proved anything yet

Highlifeman21
04-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Defensively, Hamilton is light years ahead of Freel.

He has better instincts, he has a better reaction, he takes better routes, and he's not that much slower than Freel.

When you factor in the cannon Hamilton has on his shoulder vs. the rag arm Freel carries with him, it's no contest.

I honestly think if given the same amount of PAs as Ryan Freel this year, Josh Hamilton will put up similar numbers, aka +/- 5%.

-----

As for Phillips leading off, I'd rather see Adam Dunn leading off before Brandon Phillips. This season, Brandon Phillips will return to his fine form of a career out making machine. If he manages to OPS around .750, then he's fine as a 2B, but he's in no way shape or form a leadoff hitter.

For the record, I don't want to see Adam Dunn leading off either.

My question, why not Josh Hamilton?