PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Brantley

Redlegs
04-07-2007, 06:05 PM
The Cowboy still needs a lot of polishing on his play by play skills, but I must say I am really enjoying him on Reds radio. He's already giving more insight than anyone I've ever heard on the Reds airways.

Last night he was very critical of Belisle for not being able to get a bunt down and went on to explain why pitchers who cannot get bunts down are afraid of the ball. I thought it was great. :thumbup:

vaticanplum
04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I also enhjoyed the bunting conversation. I've liked almsot everything I've heard from him.

captainmorgan07
04-07-2007, 06:15 PM
i found him very enjoying today much more than steve stewart but steve kinda grew on me

pedro
04-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I think he's doing pretty well.

cincinnati chili
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I think the Reds are in good shape in the booth, whether it's Thom or Jeff. Hopefully, Marty will get along with both of them

Gainesville Red
04-07-2007, 06:32 PM
He could def. use a few credit hours at the Caveat Emperor school of pbp, but I like the color he brings to the booth. He and Marty have a good thing going. Listening to Marty rag on him for his expensive sunglasses and for sleeping too much today was radio gold.

AtomicDumpling
04-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I have been very impressed with Jeff Brantley so far. He know a LOT about baseball but he doesn't come across as a know-it-all. He doesn't kiss Marty's butt like Stewart did. I thought Stewart was actually afraid of Marty -- intimidation isn't a strong enough word.

Bringing in Brantley and Thom was a great move by Castellini and is another example of how the new regime is light years superior to the Lindner era.

deltachi8
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
JB has been better than i expected, the radio broadcasts are much better this year (thus far) than last.

Yachtzee
04-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I like what I've heard of Brantley so far. I may not agree with everything he says, but he brings a lot of insight that has not been a part of the broadcast for a while and he can be critical without sounding disdainful.

Redsland
04-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I've enjoyed Jeff a lot. He knows a lot about the game and shares insights you don't hear from anyone else.

RedsManRick
04-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've heard from him. I also like that he stands up to Marty's sarcasm well. I get the feeling that ESPN had quite a bit of creative control. There's a reason why guys like John Kruk and Steve Phillips have been there for a while...

Chip R
04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I think he's doing well. He is very good as an analyst. For those critical of his play by play skills, you need to remember that he's just had ST and this week to be a play by play guy. He's not going to be great right out of the box. Of course his partner would do well to remember that when analyzing young players.

Blitz Dorsey
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
People act like this is Jeff's first job following his playing career when they say things like he "still needs some seasoning." I think a 5-year career at ESPN was pretty good training (or maybe it was even longer than that). He did Baseball Tonight, and announced games on ESPN. I think he's overqualified for this job if anything. He definitely doesn't need any seasoning. Brantley has been excellent and I just hope he keeps his candor... and I have no doubt he will. He's very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to "shoot from the hip" ... Hey, what else would we expect from a Cowboy?

HalMorrisRules
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
I think he is a perfect example of why you need a former player in the booth. Like today when Armas walked Dunn in Dunn's second at bat, Brantley immediately said "scared." That one word was all that was needed but it was a word that a PbP guy could never get away with but Brantley who has been out there playing the game can say that type of thing. It was quite refreshing.

NorrisHopper30
04-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Brantley is much better than he was in Spring Training, and even if he has problems with play by play he still brings so much pitching information into the booth its unbelievable. I love the insights he gives and I learn something new every time he talks.

lo ryder
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
This broadcast team is both entertaing and informative. This will be a great summer.

redsmetz
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I had to laugh yesterday when they made a pitching change and Brantley started talking about it. Marty said something like "may I interject something here?" and then said "It's a pitching change and we'll be right back" LOL - yes, Jeff, we have to pay the bills now!

Jr's Boy
04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Redszone seal of approval!

Redlegs
04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I had to laugh yesterday when they made a pitching change and Brantley started talking about it. Marty said something like "may I interject something here?" and then said "It's a pitching change and we'll be right back" LOL - yes, Jeff, we have to pay the bills now!

I thought that was funny too. Right before they went to break Brantley said, "Thank you, Marty."

ghettochild
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
yeah thats happened a lot to brantley this year, as far as i've been listening. he's been missing the cues on station identification more than once

Jr's Boy
04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Just shows his love for the game and describing the action going on.Cowboy the fans appreciate you giving us our moneys worth when we tune in.

Redlegs
04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I have never liked the "Cincinnati Bell Reds Radio Network" call on the radio. I know it's a money thing, but I used to really enjoy hearing Marty occasionaly say "On the Redlegs Radio Network."

Phhhl
04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I haven't heard a lot of games yet. Been watching on the tube, and I missed all of spring training because of my job. From what I have heard, I do think Marty and Jeff are struggling just a little bit because Marty is not accustomed to the "volume" of Jeff's comments. I do think that Brantley's knowledge justifies the chatter, however. I think they'll work into a comfort zone over time and it will be a good tandem.

redsfan30
04-09-2007, 12:28 AM
People act like this is Jeff's first job following his playing career when they say things like he "still needs some seasoning." I think a 5-year career at ESPN was pretty good training (or maybe it was even longer than that). He did Baseball Tonight, and announced games on ESPN. I think he's overqualified for this job if anything. He definitely doesn't need any seasoning. Brantley has been excellent and I just hope he keeps his candor... and I have no doubt he will. He's very knowledgeable and isn't afraid to "shoot from the hip" ... Hey, what else would we expect from a Cowboy?

But he's never had to do play-by-play before and it shows. I, as many others have said, love his color skills and the way he and Marty feed off each other. But I think it's pretty obvious his play-by-play skills are not nearly as polished as they need to be....yet. It'll come with time and experience, but right now it's not that good.

WVRedsFan
04-09-2007, 01:58 AM
I don't know whether anyone has stopped to think about it, but here is another place we can see how different things are since Catilini and Krivsky have charge of the Reds.

John Allen hired Steve Stewart and pushes local icon Joe Nuxhall out of the radio booth. Joe mildly protests and the "brain trust" is forced to bring him back for some games. Stewart gets a small following, but clearly is not the partner that Brenneman needs.

New guys hire Thom Brenneman, first class "voice" and Jeff Brantley for color to add to the lineup, while letting Stewart go. The reasons why this was a good move are many. Thom can now replace his father when the time comes. We now have a certified veteran baseball player in the booth for all games who adds a lot to the broadcasts (something penny pincher Allen wouldn't have a clue about), and Joe Nuxhall now has the freedom to drop in whenever they want for a trip down memory lane. Beautiful move.

Brantley has amazed me with his insight. Like today, when he commented that Milton was tiring because of his arm position. That was good. And I'll go ahead and say it...Brantley's pbp is better than Stewart's. Oh, not technically good, but he has more passion for the game. His call of Conine's HR, though not very good, was superior to any that Stewart did, even though it wasn't very good. Of course, once again, IMHO.

It's really sad for Stewart, though. Allen brought him here in a positon that wasn't suited for him and apparently he couldn't get a MLB radio job. Although he called some Reds ST games, he's been banished to the Reds speakers bureau where we'll never hear from him again. That's a shame.

alexad
04-09-2007, 07:48 AM

I like his color work, but Play by Play was kinda of boring so far. Marty needs to stay with him for a while. He forgot to take a break on Saturday and Marty finally stepped in and said "You know something, let's take a break in the action".. Brantley was trying to describe how Coffey was coming to the mound out of the bullpen.

HE is a perfect match for Marty in the booth because he is not afraid to say what he wants to say and will not back down. HE also steps on Marty's toes and I like that . He does not allow Marty to go off in the NEVER NEVER LAND and talk about something stupid.

Play by Play needs work though. He has way too much dead air... ESPN does not serve justice to radio. ON TV all he had to do was talk about what he use to do in situations and talk about the actual players, he did not have to do play by play. IN fact on TV Play by Play is easy compared to doing it on radio.

REDREAD
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
The Cowboy still needs a lot of polishing on his play by play skills, but I must say I am really enjoying him on Reds radio. He's already giving more insight than anyone I've ever heard on the Reds airways.

I agree Brantley has been a huge breath of fresh air. I heard him for the first time in the Pirates series. I plan to listen to a lot more games on the radio this year.

He even makes Marty more professional. Marty seemed to stay on track more.

I don't see how anyone can miss Steve Stewart's monotone, robotic play by play after listening to Brantley. And Brantely seemed to due just fine calling the play by play during his solo run.

It doesn't bother me that he forgot to announce a commerical break (Marty had to cut in for that). He will pick that stuff up as the season comes along. He's doing the most important part of his job -- making the broadcast interesting.

It's so much better to hear Brantley talking about Milton's pitching motion as opposed to a monologue of Marty reading emails about BBQ while Stewart is too timid to bring the conversation back to the game.

Jr's Boy
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Now if Marty would just get rid of that stinkin ''Gangsta vs Gangster''bit.

HalMorrisRules
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't know whether anyone has stopped to think about it, but here is another place we can see how different things are since Catilini and Krivsky have charge of the Reds.

John Allen hired Steve Stewart and pushes local icon Joe Nuxhall out of the radio booth. Joe mildly protests and the "brain trust" is forced to bring him back for some games. Stewart gets a small following, but clearly is not the partner that Brenneman needs.

New guys hire Thom Brenneman, first class "voice" and Jeff Brantley for color to add to the lineup, while letting Stewart go. The reasons why this was a good move are many. Thom can now replace his father when the time comes. We now have a certified veteran baseball player in the booth for all games who adds a lot to the broadcasts (something penny pincher Allen wouldn't have a clue about), and Joe Nuxhall now has the freedom to drop in whenever they want for a trip down memory lane. Beautiful move.

Brantley has amazed me with his insight. Like today, when he commented that Milton was tiring because of his arm position. That was good. And I'll go ahead and say it...Brantley's pbp is better than Stewart's. Oh, not technically good, but he has more passion for the game. His call of Conine's HR, though not very good, was superior to any that Stewart did, even though it wasn't very good. Of course, once again, IMHO.

It's really sad for Stewart, though. Allen brought him here in a positon that wasn't suited for him and apparently he couldn't get a MLB radio job. Although he called some Reds ST games, he's been banished to the Reds speakers bureau where we'll never hear from him again. That's a shame.

Stewart was on the FSN Reds Pregame show on Saturday afternoon. I wondered if that was planned or whether he filled in for someone that couldnt be there because of the last minute time change from an evening game to an afternoon game.

KittyDuran
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Not so fast...;) He's helping with Reds Live! before the FSN games...:thumbup: And doing a good job...

smith288
04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Gangsta' or Gangster is stupid. I think when Thom first heard it even he thought it was stupid.

VR
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I listened to him for the first time yesterday, and thought he had some great moments. On the Eldred homer, he was dumfounded at how they would call for a fastball on the outside corner when the scouting report says the guy can't touch anything fast and in. Even his bagging on Griffey wasn't over the top like Marty, although it was harsh.

His pbp was rough, I think it was Griff's double that he sounded like he was describing to his buddy on his cellphone...little emotion or grabbing of the radio audience.

Matt700wlw
04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Jeff doesn't miss anything. He could tell Milton was tiring. He said he could see the fatigue in his elbow, as his velocity decreased.

The guy knows his stuff, and can explain it so regualar joe's can understand it, without talking down to them.

I think his play by play has already seen some improvement, and will continue to do so

redsfan1966
04-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I think Brantley has been doing a great job in the booth...much better than I thought possible based on what I saw from his ESPN gig (wasnt a fan)...he has brought insightful, strong opinions about BASEBALL to the booth and has done a commendable job on the pbp, sure he isnt great---but the old left-hander wasnt either and we all seemed to fall in love with him...I like how the new booth configuration has reigned Marty in....I am a huge Marty fan, but I have enjoyed the emphasis being on the game so far this season and not on the e-mails...

TeamBoone
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Now if Marty would just get rid of that stinkin ''Gangsta vs Gangster''bit.

Opening day, I thought Thom was going to fall out of the booth laughing when Marty brought this up. I honestly think he thought it was the stupidest thing he had ever heard (and I agree).

TC81190
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I have never liked the "Cincinnati Bell Reds Radio Network" call on the radio. I know it's a money thing, but I used to really enjoy hearing Marty occasionaly say "On the Redlegs Radio Network."

I preferred the Home of the Reds.

TeamBoone
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Not so fast...;) He's helping with Reds Live! before the FSN games...:thumbup: And doing a good job...

Yes, and George mentioned him as part of the FSN team.

TC81190
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Steve Stewart should do the Reds TV network PBP.

TRF
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
The cadence

in which Jeff Brantley

speaks

can be annoying

even to a guy that has lived in

Texas

for the last 25 years.

That said, I really thought that his analysis of Belisle's approach was spot on. If Matt were to pitch inside, just occasionally put one in on the batter's hands, he's be a dynamite starter. As it was he was pretty damn good.

Hey Meat
04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Talk about missing station cues. How about Chris Welch the other day and George Grande? Welch was talking about having a keg of Guinness.

geniusMoment
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Thom is not the replacement for Marty. Thom has a national gig with Fox, both with baseball and football, and will never do more than 90 per season with the Reds. Your lead cannot do 90 games, doesn't work that way.

AtomicDumpling
04-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I have been much more impressed with Brantley than with Thom so far. Thom doesn't know half as much about baseball as Brantley does. I think Thom comes across as way too negative and is constantly criticizing the players' baseball IQ. I think Thom is struggling to fit in with the rest of the crew.