PDA

View Full Version : Burton is the vicitim (moved to the DL)

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
...of Milton's return.

Today the Reds reinstated from the 15-day disabled list LHP Eric Milton (lower back spasms) and placed on the 15-day DL RHP Jared Burton (strained left hamstring).

However, they're pretty smart about it.

Tom Servo
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Oh, that clever Krivsky.

Redhook
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
It would have been nice for Burton to get another outing or two before something happened with him. Now, he has to sit and think about his less than stellar outing for two more weeks before he gets another shot at it. Doesn't seem right to me (unless he really is hurt of course).

HumnHilghtFreel
04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
It would have been nice for Burton to get another outing or two before something happened with him. Now, he has to sit and think about his less than stellar outing for two more weeks before he gets another shot at it. Doesn't seem right to me (unless he really is hurt of course).

That's what I was thinking too. Really sucks that this kid had a bad go of things in his first appearance, wanted to go back out to prove himself and won't get another chance for a while.

Make it worthwhile Milton!!! lol

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
As long as we get to keep him.

hebroncougar
04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't think Milty will be around long. Let's see.........15 days gives him 2-3 starts, that oughta be long enough to get an option out to louisville after clearing waivers, or a release, or "back spasms"

Always Red
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
It's just a way of delaying the inevitable, one way or another.

I think it's smart, and I have no problem with it at all. Coutlangus stays, which is great. Burton doesn't go back to Oakland. Milton gets maybe his last chance to see if he can still pitch.

If Milton gets hammered, I really think the Reds will DFA him. They've got good pitching karma, at least for right now. Maybe they can work some kind of deal for him.

Problem is that the Reds are already eating a lot of salary- they're basically paying for LaRue to play for the Royals.

I'm rooting for Milton to pitch a great game today, but I think one more outing like the spring training ones, and Castellini will be willing to pull the plug, and go with guys who get results.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I think it was determined yesterday. He probably had Jerry check out Coutlangus to see who to send down.

I wish he would've given Burton and extra shot too.

LawFive
04-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't want to cast doubt on the Red's credibility here, but...just a couple days ago, the Notes section on the Red's own website had a blurb about how Burton was waiting for another chance. No mention whatsoever of a hammy issue. Now, of course something could have happened as he was stretching in these past few, Arctic days...but does the league always take the team's word on DL issues, or does there have to be some type of verified medical report??

RedFanAlways1966
04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't want to cast doubt on the Red's credibility here, but...just a couple days ago, the Notes section on the Red's own website had a blurb about how Burton was waiting for another chance. No mention whatsoever of a hammy issue. Now, of course something could have happened as he was stretching in these past few, Arctic days...but does the league always take the team's word on DL issues, or does there have to be some type of verified medical report??

Rumor has it... Jim Bowden's team doctor has asked Jimbo to file a grievance. Jimbo and the doctor have never seen an injured player. If they did, they would be honest about it.

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
At least we get to keep Burton. Still, it's sad that the Reds are bringing Milton back. Cut him, he's worthless. Milton pitching today shows that the Reds aren't 100% committed to winning.

TeamBoone
04-08-2007, 11:24 AM

I was wondering about the validity of this injury too. I sure don't want the Reds to become known for faking such a thing. I suppose there's the possibility that he did it between then and now....

Guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
At least we get to keep Burton. Still, it's sad that the Reds are bringing Milton back. Cut him, he's worthless. Milton pitching today shows that the Reds aren't 100% committed to winning.

They're not doing anything different than most teams would do when you're paying a guy that much money.

They're going to give him a chance to "earn" that money......and if he stinks up the joint, I hope it's not a very big chance.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I think they are giving Milton 2-3 starts to see what happens. If he sucks it up, which I hope he does (but our offense wins us those games), we bring Burton back and put Saarloos in the rotation, thought I like him as the set up man.

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
They're playing the 'NBA roster/injury game.'

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I think they are giving Milton 2-3 starts to see what happens. If he sucks it up, which I hope he does (but our offense wins us those games), we bring Burton back and put Saarloos in the rotation, thought I like him as the set up man.

I say keep Saarlos and Santos right where they are. Bring up Livingston before you mess with what those guys have going right now.

jnwohio
04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Anyone doubt Doc Hollywood signed off on whatever had to be signed??;)

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Yea, you could bring up Livingston, but what to do when Bray and Burton come off the DL and when Majewski is ready to come up (looked good in AAA so far, no 5 HRs to Pirates A Team)?

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Good questions all.

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Hopefully finding some way to hit the ejector seat on Frenchie could play some sort of role in sorting out that logjam.

Of course the extension site unseen from Special K doesn't help matters. :bang:

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Let's just say, it's a good thing, from an organizational standpoint, that there are too many capable pitchers to choose from.

Unfortunately, an uncapable one in making almost $9 million.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
And is taking up a rotation spot

Jpup
04-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Yea, you could bring up Livingston, but what to do when Bray and Burton come off the DL and when Majewski is ready to come up (looked good in AAA so far, no 5 HRs to Pirates A Team)?

Send Bray to Louisville or get rid of Cormier. As long as Comier is a Red, there isn't any room for Bray. Burton can replace Milton when he is DFA'd next week and Santos can take his spot in the rotation.

The real question is who are the Reds going to get to play the outfield as the 5th guy? Chad Moeller is probably going to be the one going down the road when they figure it out. He has been given a chance this week to get some time late in the games. Someone could probably use another backup catcher.

membengal
04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Clever move by WK. Buys time. I like it.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
No way Santos goes in the 5 spot. He has showed that he is 1000 times better as a reliever than a starter. Put Saarloos in the 5th spot, or bring up Livingston and figure out something to do with Milton.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 11:50 AM
per Fay...

Didn't know Burton had a bad hamstring. But this will allow them to send him to Louisville for a 30-day rehab, I believe.

Well, that lets us keep him for 45 more days and see how he does in AAA. Hopefully he can get his control right.

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I kind of like the move.....well, considering they "have" to bring back everybody's favorite Uncle

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
No way Santos goes in the 5 spot. He has showed that he is 1000 times better as a reliever than a starter. Put Saarloos in the 5th spot, or bring up Livingston and figure out something to do with Milton.

For the record, Saarloos is about .500 as a starter....and that in the fifth spot is something ANY team in the big leagues would take.

edabbs44
04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
It's obvious that Burton isn't really injured. I wonder how long it will take for MLB to amend the Rule 5 rules? I believe they already did slightly, where Rule 5 draftees have to be on the roster for 90 days or something like that.

Whatever the case may be, I hope, as mentioned above, this is a 15 day tryout for Milton. If he stinks it up, he should be cut. Salary or no salary.

edabbs44
04-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Let's just say, it's a good thing, from an organizational standpoint, that there are too many capable pitchers to choose from.

Unfortunately, an uncapable one in making almost $9 million.

I wish they could consolidate and take 3 of those "capable" pitchers and turn them into one good one.

redsmetz
04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the clear plus to this. This will also allow Burton to do a rehab stint in the minors. I don't know the days involved. Now, I don't know the validity of the injury, but frankly, Milton's was a bit tenuous too. I suspect we're going to see this type of juggling more throughout the season (we did it some last year too). Assuming it's not being faked (and I doubt it is), I'm guessing there was a conversation something along this line.

Krivs: You looked a little tight out there, Jared.
Burton: Yeah, it felt a little tight
Krivs. Whaddya think, Doc?
Doc: Probably his hammy
Krivs: Yeah, that's it!

I don't think it's an accident that this will give Burton some minor league time legally.

jnwohio
04-08-2007, 12:01 PM
per Fay...

Quote:
Didn't know Burton had a bad hamstring. But this will allow them to send him to Louisville for a 30-day rehab, I believe.

45 days at a minimum. They can let him sit more than 2 weeks before they declare the rehab period. They just can't use him in minor league games until after they declare the rehab.

11larkin11
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
How did he get injured? per Trent

Jared Burton was put on the disabled list with a left hamstring injury, conveniently suffered yesterday while running in the outfield

Ltlabner
04-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Would this somehow negativley impact the Reds if folks saw through the ruse regarding the creative roster management? I highly doubt that most casual fans even know who Jared Burton is, much less would boycot the Reds if they suspected roster hijinks. Certinally the other teams in MLB aren't going to lose any sleep over it.

It's like worrying that fans might notice that the soda is watered down and get all upset.

The Reds are committed to winning. They just aren't committed to winning in the manner you think they should do it.

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 12:59 PM
How did he get injured? per Trent

Technically, he probably didn't....it's a loophole to send him to AAA without having to send him back to Oakland.

TC81190
04-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Very very nice...my stomach turned when I saw the title...then I was relieved. Milton will be gone in 15 days if he can't pull it together.

redsmetz
04-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Would this somehow negativley impact the Reds if folks saw through the ruse regarding the creative roster management? I highly doubt that most casual fans even know who Jared Burton is, much less would boycot the Reds if they suspected roster hijinks. Certinally the other teams in MLB aren't going to lose any sleep over it.

It's like worrying that fans might notice that the soda is watered down and get all upset.

The more likely possibility could be that the A's could file a grievance if it's a bogus DL stint. I'm not sure how they could prove it, so I don't think it's likely, but I would think that could be an avenue they could pursue.

mth123
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I like this move. Its one of Krivsky's best IMO. I also think that with everyone else pitching well, someone who slipped even a little was going to be the odd man out. Now the Reds can watch Burton pitch for a month and a half (starting with a couple weeks in extended Spring Training) and make a really informed decision.

How about this for a creative solution? Reds put Burton on waivers as Rule 5 requires, Washington claims him and sends him to the Reds as compensation for Majewski. No more Rule 5 to worry about. Sorry Oakland. (I'm just kidding, but with Bowden involved...)

BTW, whoever said leave Santos and Saarloos in the pen is exactly right. Saarloos doesn't look to have a good profile as a starter for Cincy and Santos is going well for one of the few times in his career. These guys may have found a nitch. Throughout baseball history many of the best relievers are failed starters. Maybe these two guys will join the list.

Degenerate39
04-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I'd rather keep Milton on the DL than Burton

LawFive
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
The more likely possibility could be that the A's could file a grievance if it's a bogus DL stint. I'm not sure how they could prove it, so I don't think it's likely, but I would think that could be an avenue they could pursue.

I'm thinking that if the Reds were to be caught playing games here, or straddling the lines too closely, that MLB might have further cause to deny the Majewski grievance - if WK ever pursues it.

redsmetz
04-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking that if the Reds were to be caught playing games here, or straddling the lines too closely, that MLB might have further cause to deny the Majewski grievance - if WK ever pursues it.

They should stand on their own, frankly. But if we're monkeying around with Burton (i.e. he's really not hurt at all), I would think MLB would find he should be offered back to the A's.

Dracodave
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Give Burton some playing time in triple a, while he recoups his hammy. I don't care if the injury is bogus or not. He was way too jittery in his apperance.

About the rotation, irony at it's best. Santos is a much better reliever, keep him there. Saarloos is again, fine where he is at. His problem last year was that he didn't have a clear role, why mess with that now? If you call up Livingston and he falters, then what? You're back to having another Milton in the line-up. I like Bobby, I really think he will be a decent to good off-speed pitcher one day. I like the pitching depth from this team but I really don't want to turn to Livingston as option a.

I can't shake this feeling that instead of DFAing Milton, he'll just devolp another injury and go on the DL again. His money is sunk either way, but I think they also believe that he might be able to pull out something for them. He's pitching start from his upper-body again. He had zero leg movement today while pitching. Was that coming off the DL and being stiff? Or was that due to the fact that the knee is flared up again? He's back to his old antics and once the weather warms up, those balls are gonna fly out of the park again.

Plus, you have to think the number 4/5 slots are just buying time for Homer anyway. Once he gets better confidence in his change up and curveball, learning how to relay on them instead of his fastball. You'll see Bailey as the number 4/5 and Belisle in the next slot of that rotation. The rotation of dual ace's Arroyo/Harrang, Lohse, Bailey and Belisle looks better than Arroyo/Harrang, Lohse, Livingston, and Belisle.

I'm not saying this is what is going to happen, cause who truely knows? But it sounds like a better plan.

Phhhl
04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
If the Reds weren't interested in keeping him, he would have been dfa'd. I like it. They have to give that kid some rope, considering his stuff.

fearofpopvol1
04-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Did anybody listen to Tracy Jones' show today? Doc Hollywood was the guest and Jones basically straight up called out Doc about this "injury" and Jones asked him to look him in the eye and tell him that he was injurred and Doc gave his PC statements on the situation. "The kid is still young. It's not worth taking any chances on. Freak things can happen and it's unfortunate that Burton is a victim this time around."

alexad
04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
THis type of roster movement happens all the time. Look how long the Reds kept Willy Mo on the roster? He had a major league signed contract and if moved to AAA, he could have been claimed on waivers. The Reds did an excellent job of hiding him and Jim Bowden was the GM at the time. He was hurt and got to go to AAA for rehab and actually got more playing time there then sitting on the bench in Cincy.

If the Reds did not like Burton, they would have sent him packing back to Oakland. It appears they really like what Burton has to offer and this is a way to keep him and let him pitch even if it is in AAA.

It will get very difficult to hide him though when Magic and Bray come back.

But we have to admit this is great....Finally we can talk about who might go even if they do not deserve to go when the two boys from Washington come back. Last year we were begging for an arm to fall into our Easter basket. This year we have too many relief pitchers and not enough room to keep all of them. For the first time in a while, this is a good problem to have.