PDA

View Full Version : Question from Athens, OH

jfleur87
04-09-2007, 01:54 AM
I go to school at Ohio University, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what became of the players the Reds drafted from our school, in last years draft, the name escapes me, he might have played 3rd base or outfield

Also, does anyone here attend or have graduated from Ohio U.

BCubb2003
04-09-2007, 02:18 AM
I went to Ohio University, and went to high school in Athens. Actually, The Plains, Ohio. I was a townie. There are a couple of other OU alums in RedsZone.

alexad
04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
I have lived around Athens all my life. Lived in Athens County for the past 16 years. My wife teaches at Athens High School.

I am not sure the Reds took anyone from Ohio last year. I know the Pirates have. Cory Keylor who was drafted by the O's was recently traded during Spring Training to the RedSox. He was invited to Spring Training by the O's. I had the chance to see him play a few years ago against Myrtle Beach.

edabbs44
04-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Anthony Gressick - RHP

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47817

Cant Touch This
04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
There are a couple of other OU alums in RedsZone.

I'll be sure to type s-l-o-w-l-y.

:D
Miami University
Class of 1993

redsrule2500
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Osu?

redsmetz
04-09-2007, 09:06 AM
I looked up the draft from last year and we drafted a pitcher Anthony Gressick from OU. He pitched for Billings last year and went 6-2 with a 4.50 ERA. He pitched in 14 games with 44 K's and 21 BB's.

Right now he's still showing as being on Billings roster. I checked some of the other players that have moved up and saw them where I expected them to be, so looks like they're holding him back.

BTW, it looks like he might have played in the field at Ohio too because one news report I saw showed he had five hits in one game. I guess we selected him to be a pitcher, which might explain him being held over.

westofyou
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I was born in Athens. And went to OU for a quarter (hated it.. but that was me)

Pickering Hall for 10 weeks and I was out of there.

westofyou
04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll be sure to type s-l-o-w-l-y.

:D
Miami University
Class of 1993

So... you must have been in the Western Program since you can spell eh? ;)

Cant Touch This
04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
So... you must have been in the Western Program since you can spell eh? ;)

The longest stretch of time I spent on Western Campus was when I got married in Kumler Chapel. Beautiful area, but some borderline scary students...

westofyou
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
The longest stretch of time I spent on Western Campus was when I got married in Kumler Chapel. Beautiful area, but some borderline scary students...

Really?

I married one. :laugh:

Cant Touch This
04-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Really?

I married one. :laugh:

I'm sure she's the exception to the trend! By the way, it's been 11 years since I've been on Western Campus, so I have no clue what it's like now.

westofyou
04-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm sure she's the exception to the trend! By the way, it's been 11 years since I've been on Western Campus, so I have no clue what it's like now.

It's gone... they merged it with the regular campus. That said, my wife transfered out of there before her junior year and went to UCSC (where there where less strange looking weirdos and more regular looking ones)

Cant Touch This
04-09-2007, 10:41 AM
This is quickly becoming off-topic, but when I attended Miami, the Western Campus program was a magnet for "alternative" students. I don't want to label them as anything in particular, but they certainly defied the main campus trend toward conformism. (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing...)

Years before I attended, my parents were Miami students as well as my mom's sister who lived on Western Campus. At that time, it was very different and quite popular, particularly for the female students, I'm told.

Things have changed time and time again over the years in Oxford, but I still go back for the same reasons. Those reasons are chez fries at Skippers, cheap pints at Mac & Joe's, and to steal a quick kiss from my wife under the Upham Arch again.

jfleur87
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
hey redsrule, where do you live on campus

WVJulz
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I go to school at Ohio University, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what became of the players the Reds drafted from our school, in last years draft, the name escapes me, he might have played 3rd base or outfield

Also, does anyone here attend or have graduated from Ohio U.

Hey there JFleur....I don't go to OU, never attended or graduated from OU, but I live in Parkersburg, WV so I am very close to Athens. I lived in Columbus for a few years and worked with a guy who attended OU and he said that they always referred to it as "Harvard on the Hocking". :)
Julz

jfleur87
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I've never understood what those T-shirts mean until maybe right now...I see that quote everywhere though

westofyou
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
At that time, it was very different and quite popular, particularly for the female students, I'm told.

Started as a girls school, as for the "alternative" style it extended to the curriculum and the way it was presented.

Still they had grades, and at UCSC we didn't... who's alternative now? ;)

pedro
04-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I went to OU and lived in Athens from 1986-1993.

I worked at Casa Nueva and drank at the Union, Tony's and the CI. (oh, and I went to class sometimes too)

Athens is a great place.

Blimpie
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I used to have a pretty good drinking buddy who was from Athens. I believe he was/is a Christmas tree farmer by trade.

RedFanAlways1966
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Ohio University grad, 1988. Back in the days when SpringFest existed and tried to sell more kegs of beer each year. Bong Hill, Radar Hill, Sims Cemetary, the North Green, etc. Good times... what I can remember!

Hap
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I was there in the early and mid-nineties.

I vividly remember the Laura Bansek tragedy (http://www.thepost.ohiou.edu/archives/archives/110695/memorial.html). This has become one of the many urban legends that imply evil spirits haunt the dorms. I know for a fact that it was a simple accident. She lost her balance and fell through the window as her friends watched in horror.

redsrule2500
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
hey redsrule, where do you live on campus

I'm on east, you?

pedro
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm on east, you?

I lived in Read and Lincoln.