PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with E.I. from DTV from memphis

redram
04-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I ask because up until last year the Reds were a home team here in Memphis Tn. Last year DTV removed them and I had to get the E.I. package to see the Reds games. This year even though it still shows the Reds as an out of market team they seem to again be a home team here. After the Reds Cubs game was blacked out thursday I called DTV and finally ended up telling them to not renew the E.I. So tonight I no longer have the free preview and the game is showing in the clear on 638, just like it did up until last year.

I actually like this better since FNS is showing almost all the games this year, but it is strange that this has happened and the CSR at DTV has no idea why I got blacked out Thursday.

Was wondering if anyone else in the Memphis area had DTV and the E.I. package, and what has happened for you.
Thx and sorry to rant about this. I JUST WANT TO WATCH MY REDS !!! LOL

Jr's Boy
04-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Heck i'm in West Memphis and the game was blacked out on the free preview.

redram
04-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Thx for letting me know. I guess that means that MLB has made DTV black the games out for us this year. The good news is we can get the games on the Cinn regional Sport channel 638, which is most of the games. It will cost us about 1/2 as much as the E.I. package cost anyway.
Thx again

nate
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
All of the Reds games have been blacked out for me in Nashville.

I mean, is there _ANY_ alternative for watching the Reds if you live in a blackout area? I'm talking more than the 10 or so games that'll be shown on TBS/WGN.

hebroncougar
04-10-2007, 09:02 AM
All of the Reds games have been blacked out for me in Nashville.

I mean, is there _ANY_ alternative for watching the Reds if you live in a blackout area? I'm talking more than the 10 or so games that'll be shown on TBS/WGN.

Other than finding a friend who has a slingbox................;)

membengal
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Redram: You are correct. Last year was the first year the Reds were not considered "home" in Memphis market in the ten years I have had the system. This year, they are back to being "home" again. Thank goodness that Fox is up to 145 games, that no longer will cost us the 30-40 games a year it used to.

You won't need EI to get the games. The sports channels package will be enough.

Hope that helps.

foltza
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
last night i noticed that on EI's new "Game Mix" channel, which shows 8 games at once on the same channel in little boxes, you can watch the game you are blacked out for. for instance i live in san francisco, so the channel carrying the giants-padres in EI was blacked out, but we could still see it on the Game Mix channel. and you can set the audio to any of the 8 games. so you can still watch it, just not with the convenience you would normally like for paying $160 bucks

pedro
04-10-2007, 04:20 PM
memphis looks like it gets screwed on the blackout map.

IIRC, the reds, braves, cards, royals, & texas were all blacked out there.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 04:21 PM

No Royals games? You call that getting screwed?

Heath
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
So, let me see if I understand this.

If I get EI and I live in a "Blacked Out" Reds area (as determined by MLB) I don't get the Reds games on EI, but they are offered as part of the "Extra Sports Channel Package - (Like the $5.99 deals on Directv?)

BRM
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM

I don't see how they can black out games if you don't have access to that particular teams regional sports channel. I assume Memphis doesn't receive the FSN channels for all five of those teams.

pedro
04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't see how they can black out games if you don't have access to that particular teams regional sports channel. I assume Memphis doesn't receive the FSN channels for all five of those teams.

I don't think that's how they do it.

In any case here is the map. looks like they black out the reds, cards & braves in memphis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-blackouts061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns#

BRM
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think that's how they do it.

In any case here is the map. looks like they black out the reds, cards & braves in memphis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-blackouts061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns#

Oh, I know that's not how they do it. That's why it is so unfair. If they are going to blackout Reds games in Memphis on EI, those people should have access to FSN Ohio/Cincinnati so they can get the games.

pedro
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh, I know that's not how they do it. That's why it is so unfair. If they are going to blackout Reds games in Memphis on EI, those people should have access to FSN Ohio/Cincinnati so they can get the games.

It is ridiculous.

membengal
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM

They do if you pony up for the regional sports package. Which is what I have to do.

And, yes, it blows. Only team Memphis should be regional for is the Cardinals. Everything else is just piling on.

I pay for the regional package AND the EI package, just to try to get all the games I should be able to get with the EI package. It is the suck.

nate
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
In response to this question:

Howdy What options do I have to watch the Cincinnati Reds in Nashville, TN? It seems like I had more of a chance to see them play when I lived in Los Angeles.

I received this eye-glazer from MLB:

Dear Fan,

Thank you for sending your email.

We would love to offer all games to all fans, however we have to adhere to the Local and National blackout regulations even if the local or national rights holders choose not to broadcast the game in your area. Unfortunately we are not given information on how the black out areas are determined. Blackouts are based on your actual physical location at the time you are trying to access the game, not your billing information.

When our system is unable to determine your location to an adequate degree of certainty its possible that you might get blacked out incorrectly. If you have checked the blacked-out zip codes for both the home and away team and are getting blacked out incorrectly, please call our Customer Support department at 1-866-800-1275 from a land-line phone, NOT a cell phone. Once we verify your location we will be able to grant you access to games for which you should not be blacked out.

Clicking on a live MLB.TV link will perform and trigger a number of checks to make sure that you are located outside of the local Major League Baseball team's home telecast market and outside of Japan, as the scheduled live webcasts of each MLB team's games will be blacked out in its home telecast market and in Japan.

At present, due to the national exclusivity of ESPN and FOX, each Saturday until 7:00 PM EST (beginning May 21, 2005 and continuing for remaining Saturdays during the regular season) and each Sunday night (for games that begin after 5:00 PM EST), the scheduled webcast of that team's game will be blacked out; and (B) during the MLB postseason, if you live within the following nations or territories, webcasts of the games will be blacked out: United States, Guam, US Virgin Islands, South Korea, and Japan.

Due to these blackout restrictions, you may be required to log in to each webcast (both for free and subscription fee webcasts) with a valid major credit card for address verification. In such a case, a temporary $1.00 authorization hold will be placed on your credit card, which will subsequently expire. You will not incur a charge for this authorization hold.

For more on information on MLB.TV blackouts, and to check your zip code to see which teams you are blacked out from watching live, please visit our video page or access the following link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#blackout

Please note, a pop-up blocker will prevent the zip codes from being displayed. If you have a pop-up blocker enabled, please hold down the Control key on your keyboard while selecting the team so the results will display.

Thank you again for taking the time to write!

Sincerely,
JP, MLB.com Support

Complete with this tidbit!

IF YOU ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT OR CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND MLBAM RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.

In other words, a non-answer. I already _knew_ that I lived in a blackout area. I just want to watch _ONE TEAM_...how can I do that? I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way I can see the Reds with any degree of regularity is to be able to get Fox Sports Ohio. EI and MLB.TV are of no benefit to me because I'm blacked out. Comcast has had the free preview since Friday and I have yet to see a Reds game.

</spleen vented>

redram
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM

It is actually just the Reds, Braves and Cards. But I would rather just watch them on Fox Sports because it will now save me about 75.00 and as membengle said there are 145 games on this year which is ok and really better than having the E.I. package.

redram
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM

We have the Braves and Cards but No Reds and they of crs are the one I want to watch. I guess MLB thinks I can get off work around 5pm and hop in my car and drive 400 plus miles to watch the games lol. I don't even think I could fly there in time. How stupid is that. MLB IMO are costing themselves probl millions with these stupid blackout rules.

redram
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
In response to this question:

I received this eye-glazer from MLB:

Complete with this tidbit!

In other words, a non-answer. I already _knew_ that I lived in a blackout area. I just want to watch _ONE TEAM_...how can I do that? I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way I can see the Reds with any degree of regularity is to be able to get Fox Sports Ohio. EI and MLB.TV are of no benefit to me because I'm blacked out. Comcast has had the free preview since Friday and I have yet to see a Reds game.

</spleen vented>

You would have to have DTV and get the sports channel package that cost 13.00 per month on top of the normal package you get. If you sub to Premier it is included. The only other way is through MLB.TV and wait until the archive of the game is up. It get up pretty fast now.

Jr's Boy
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
It is actually just the Reds, Braves and Cards. But I would rather just watch them on Fox Sports because it will now save me about 75.00 and as membengle said there are 145 games on this year which is ok and really better than having the E.I. package.

So I don't need to be on Satellite to see the Reds games?I can pay for extra package on cable to see the Reds?

redram
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
So I don't need to be on Satellite to see the Reds games?I can pay for extra package on cable to see the Reds?

Only if your cable company has Fox Sports Cinn in there lineup. Mine does not so I have to get it through DTV. I have DTV for 2 reasons only. Football and The Reds. If they ever lose that they will be in big trouble. Mainly the Football for most.

bigredbunter
04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I emailed FSN's VP for Sales last week because FSN Ohio does not carry Reds games in my town (Ashland, Ohio). He replied...

FSN Ohio is carried on the Armstrong system and you should be seeing all of the 145 Reds games produced by FSN Ohio. There is a game scheduled for tonight. Please let me know if it is not shown on your system. Thank you very much.

I emailed him back and once again confirmed that Armstrong Cable does NOT show Reds games. I would assume that FSN's Sales department would have some leverage with the Cable companies, but who knows...