per Mark Curnutte's blog

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/

Discuss

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Exactly what I figured he's get.

CTA513
04-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I bet we will see the players and NFLPA appeal these suspensions.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Chris gets half a season, Pacman Jones gets a full season.

Good to see the league taking a strong stand.

CrackerJack
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Ouch for the Bengals.

WMR
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Ouch for the Bengals.

I'm the biggest Bengal fan out there, but I applaud the NFL for this and the Pacman Jones decision.

Act like a thug and that's how you'll be treated.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Fan or not of their teams, you just have to hope the NFL's decision will give them a wake up call so they can get their lives back on the right track. I think Chris can do that. Pacman Jones out for an entire season... I'm worried for that kid.

WMR
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Why would you think Chris Henry capable of straightening out?

He's been in constant trouble since college--not sure what he did as a youth, but you could probably make some fairly educated guesses--and has been given PLENTY of "wake-up calls."

HumnHilghtFreel
04-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Why would you think Chris Henry capable of straightening out?

He's been in constant trouble since college--not sure what he did as a youth, but you could probably make some fairly educated guesses--and has been given PLENTY of "wake-up calls."

His problems, as far as I've seen, aren't as dangerous as the situations that Pacman consistently puts himself into. I hold out hope for the both of them, but I think one has a better chance than the other.

CTA513
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Tab Perry was medically cleared the other day, so I hope hes ready to step up on the field this season. He was supposed to be more involved in the offense last year before hurting his hip.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
His problems, as far as I've seen, aren't as dangerous as the situations that Pacman consistently puts himself into. I hold out hope for the both of them, but I think one has a better chance than the other.

He was very lucky he wasn't shot by the cops in that incident in Florida.

WMR
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I wish they'd convert Tab to a full-time TE.

WMR
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM

As far as surviving, you are probably right.

But the consistency of his offenses without a hint of reform is the problem.

Sure, he hasn't been involved in incidents as "bad" (excepting the gun, which Chip is spot-on about) as Pacman, but they have been unending and I'll be truly surprised if this is the event that somehow 'flips the switch' for Henry.

CTA513
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I wish they'd convert Tab to a full-time TE.

Tab Perry is listed at 208 pounds while a lot of TEs are listed around 250-260 pounds.
He would have to add a lot of weight if they wanted to move him to TE full time.

WMR
04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
What'd Mike Ditka play at?

Different eras I know, but he'd be primarily a receiving TE anyway, especially since our other TE is so heralded for his blocking.

Jaycint
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Tab Perry was medically cleared the other day, so I hope hes ready to step up on the field this season. He was supposed to be more involved in the offense last year before hurting his hip.

I would assume Chatman will be back as well. Hopefully those two can help shoulder some of the weight until Henry comes back.

paintmered
04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
As a Bengals fan, I say Chris Henry deserves to sit all 8 of those games.

Kudos to the commish.

CTA513
04-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I would assume Chatman will be back as well. Hopefully those two can help shoulder some of the weight until Henry comes back.

Chatman and Brazell should be back from injuries and I would have to assume Glen Holt will make the team since he did a good job returning kick offs last year.

WMR
04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
You don't think those duties will be returned to Perry?

Chip R
04-10-2007, 02:59 PM
What'd Mike Ditka play at?

Regular-Sized Ditka or Mini-Ditka?

CTA513
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
You don't think those duties will be returned to Perry?

Both Perry and Holt will probably get shots at returning kick offs next season.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
The problem with athletes like these is they come from these horrible backgrounds. They feel guilty about making it out of the slums while their family and friends are still stuck there so they surround themselves with the people they are afraid of and guilty about leaving. Problem is, many of these people are there for a reason. They won't get a job and/or they are involved in drugs and street crimes. They wind up pulling these athletes back into the things they should be trying to get away from. It also doesn't help if these same athletes wind up being coddled by teachers and coaches since junior high. So, you wind up with athletes who feel entitled and who have never been told "no" or "You shouldn't do that." There are no easy answers here. However, I believe Jones and Henry deserved exactly what they got. Somehow, somewhere you have to take responsibility and learn self-restraint. Unfortunately, some never do.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

Wise up guys.

Joseph
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
We all thought we were invincible and untouchable as 23 year olds [roughly], no reason these two wouldn't think the same thing. Maybe now they were realize they are going far overboard in their actions.

bucksfan2
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
While I agree with the commish on these suspensions something needs to be done about legal problems as a whole in football. Tank Johnson should not have been allowed to play football at all last year, let alone the super bowl. I am sick and tired of seing teams and NFL turn their back on a domestic violence dispute while punish a guy who blows .02 over the legal limit (Deltha). I do not like seing a roided up Merriman play in the pro bowl in the same year that he was suspended for steiroids. If I were the commish I would have tacked on 2 more games for Merriman for lying about how the steroids got into his system.

I find it amusing that a guy can get 4 games for smoking a joint (I have never do so my self) but a guy who beats his wife is allowed to play perhaps the next day. If I were a parent of had a friend who got nabbed for DUI or got in trouble for failing a drug test I would be upset at him but I would be far more upset if he beat his wife or fired a gun in public or a variety of other felonies that NFL players have commited but walked free.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
As a Bengals fan, I say Chris Henry deserves to sit all 8 of those games.

Kudos to the commish.
Ditto.

Danny Serafini
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I hope they fight these suspensions, and I hope they win. That's not to say I condone their actions, but I have a real problem with the way the commissioner is handling this. I don't think it's right to create a new policy and then apply it retroactively. This policy is supposed to be a deterrent. How exactly does a policy enacted in early 2007 deter someone from getting arrested in 2006? This is like lowering the speed limit on highways to 50 MPH today, then giving everyone tickets for driving 55 last week. Doesn't hardly seem right, does it?

And let's not forget, Chris Henry has already been suspended last year for the same thing he's being suspended for now. How do you punish someone twice for the same offense? It's not like he's been arrested again since his suspension.

Now that the policy is in effect, if Chris Henry or Pacman did something stupid tomorrow then I've got no problem at all with the league throwing the book at them. They've been acting like idiots, and they'd deserve what they got. But it just is not right to do this retroactively. To me, this is as much about Roger Goodell posturing and grandstanding than it is anything else.

durl
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Titans fan here. I'm glad Pacman is gone for the season. Good move, commish.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Now that the policy is in effect, if Chris Henry or Pacman did something stupid tomorrow then I've got no problem at all with the league throwing the book at them.
My understanding is that this ruling is about Chris's recent legal problem involving his traffic stop for a few minor violations, along with the more serious offense of driving under a suspended license. Some or all of these violations are considered likely to violate his various probations, as well. If so, then this suspension is related to continued, unlawful behavior, and does not pertain to last year's batch of legal problems.

redsfanmia
04-10-2007, 04:00 PM
If the Bengals were a class orgazination they would have never allowed this to go as far as it did. The Bengals should have released him a long time ago.

OSUmed2010
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
If the Bengals were a class orgazination they would have never allowed this to go as far as it did. The Bengals should have released him a long time ago.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Bengals hands were tied because of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. The release would have to be related to performance and not off-the-field issues.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Bengals hands were tied because of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. The release would have to be related to performance and not off-the-field issues.

There are ways around that. The Cowboys cut their starting QB a few seasons back during training camp. Failed drug test for cocaine was the rumored reason.

DTCromer
04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
There are ways around that. The Cowboys cut their starting QB a few seasons back during training camp. Failed drug test for cocaine was the rumored reason.

Failing an NFL-sponsored drug test and getting into criminal trouble are 2 different things. If the Bengals had cut Henry citing "criminal charges," I think the PA would've had the Bengals by their balls.

As for appealing the suspensions, the PA also seems to be in agreement with the commissioner so I doubt the suspensions will be reduced. The commish can do whatever he now wants especially since he has the PA on his side. I like the move and hope he continues to do stuff like this to other players in the league.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Failing an NFL-sponsored drug test and getting into criminal trouble are 2 different things. If the Bengals had cut Henry citing "criminal charges," I think the PA would've had the Bengals by their balls.

Not exaclty. First rule I am learning in college is "Protect your reputation at all cost's for your company." Henry and the rest were downgraded the reputation of the Bengals. Cutting the "problem child" and citing it as "off the field hijinx" would have ruffled feathers but set a tone.

Why don't you do that with Chris Henry? He has a huge amount of talent, sadly he's too immature to use it to his benefiet.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Not exaclty. First rule I am learning in college is "Protect your reputation at all cost's for your company." Henry and the rest were downgraded the reputation of the Bengals. Cutting the "problem child" and citing it as "off the field hijinx" would have ruffled feathers but set a tone.

Why don't you do that with Chris Henry? He has a huge amount of talent, sadly he's too immature to use it to his benefiet.

They haven't because somebody else would have picked him up and it might have come back to haunt the Bengals.

They say idle hands are the devil's workshop. Looks like he won't be able to practice with the team once the season starts. That's a lot of time on his hands. I guess we'll see how he handles all that free time.

redsfanmia
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM

He has a non-gaurenteed contract, he could have been cut for "salary cap" reasons. The NFPLA is very weak and seems to fold during every chalenge.

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
These professional athletes that are from WV are maing us look bad. Next OJ Mayo will be in trouble when he makes it to the NBA.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
These professional athletes that are from WV are maing us look bad. Next OJ Mayo will be in trouble when he makes it to the NBA.

You still have Jerry West to hang your hat on. :)

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 07:38 PM

As for appealing the suspensions, the PA also seems to be in agreement with the commissioner so I doubt the suspensions will be reduced. The commish can do whatever he now wants especially since he has the PA on his side. I like the move and hope he continues to do stuff like this to other players in the league.

Not exactly. If you test positive for drugs like cocaine you have been in possession of an illegal drug. Just because charges weren't filed doesn't change the fact that someone broke the law.

GAC
04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
He now has more free time on his hands to think about his life and what his goals are. Hope he uses that time wisely and not get in more trouble. ;)

hebroncougar
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I hope they fight these suspensions, and I hope they win. That's not to say I condone their actions, but I have a real problem with the way the commissioner is handling this. I don't think it's right to create a new policy and then apply it retroactively. This policy is supposed to be a deterrent. How exactly does a policy enacted in early 2007 deter someone from getting arrested in 2006? This is like lowering the speed limit on highways to 50 MPH today, then giving everyone tickets for driving 55 last week. Doesn't hardly seem right, does it?

And let's not forget, Chris Henry has already been suspended last year for the same thing he's being suspended for now. How do you punish someone twice for the same offense? It's not like he's been arrested again since his suspension.

Now that the policy is in effect, if Chris Henry or Pacman did something stupid tomorrow then I've got no problem at all with the league throwing the book at them. They've been acting like idiots, and they'd deserve what they got. But it just is not right to do this retroactively. To me, this is as much about Roger Goodell posturing and grandstanding than it is anything else.

Because he's the commish, and he's in charge is the reason he can do it. Think Kennesaw Mountain Landis type. And I applaud it wholeheartedly. I wish baseball would do the same. It's time to get losers and criminals out of sports.

WMR
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Anyone who thinks the Bengals couldn't have gotten rid of Henry one way or another is deluding themselves. They could have dressed it up any number of different ways and there's no way the Player's Association is going to get into a public and protracted battle over Chris bleepin' Henry.

They kept him for one reason and one reason only: He's a hell of a football player and possesses a level of talent that is nigh-impossible to replace.

I just hope Marvin has a twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week baby-sitter picked out for him. Seriously.

Chris Sabowned
04-11-2007, 02:06 AM
At this point I'd actually almost be surprised if Henry ever plays for the Bengals again. Not sure how willing Marvin is gonna be to play him again.

redsfanmia
04-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Anyone who thinks the Bengals couldn't have gotten rid of Henry one way or another is deluding themselves. They could have dressed it up any number of different ways and there's no way the Player's Association is going to get into a public and protracted battle over Chris bleepin' Henry.

They kept him for one reason and one reason only: He's a hell of a football player and possesses a level of talent that is nigh-impossible to replace.

I just hope Marvin has a twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week baby-sitter picked out for him. Seriously.

Everyone is replaceable and why would you want a guy like him on your team? Didnt Carson scream him down atleast once because he wasnt playing hard? He is a black eye to the Bengals and they should just cut him loose.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
He now has more free time on his hands to think about his life and what his goals are. Hope he uses that time wisely and not get in more trouble. ;)

Thanks, RePete. :mooner: