PDA

View Full Version : Would you have juiced?

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
If you played in the majors during the late 80s early 90s would you have juiced? I think I might have tried it a few times to see if it helped and to gain some ground on the guys that were above me. Plus the money you'd be making would be another good reason to do it. I don't think I'd do it like Jose, Mark, or Barry did but I would've done it a few times I'm sure.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I had to say yes for reasons that are pretty obvious. I'd be wanting to be the best and to compete with these guys. Obviously, I'd need the same "edge" they do. Would I feel regret for doing it? You bet.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm 5'5" and 165. No amount of juice can help that.:D

jojo
04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Maybe a better question would be, would you have played in the majors in the 90's if you didn't juice....

Redlegs
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Big no from me. Don't care for needles. My wife gets a kick out of me when I have to have my blood drawn. It's a major event.

The_jbh
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
i like the size of my manhood and rather not have them shrink

honestly its hard for us to relate. Imagine being stuck in AAA, so close yet so far from the glamor of the majors. Its a temptation that i think a lot would struggle to pass up

redsgabp
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
i don't know if i would had or not.

but one thing for sure would be,
if i did, i wouldn't of taken them in front of anybody.

marcshoe
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I won't even kiss up to the boss to get ahead (which is why I never get ahead). I definitely wouldn't juice.

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
i don't know if i would had or not.

but one thing for sure would be,
if i did, i wouldn't of taken them in front of anybody.

I'm sure it was pretty common in the club house to see a bunch of guys doing it out in the open. I wouldn't have done it in the open but that's just me.

paintmered
04-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I think I would be very tempted to juice. But in the end, I would not be able to bring myself to do it.

So the answer is no.

RFS62
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Nobody knows what they would do until presented with the situation in real life.

That's what's so insideous about juicing. The marginal kid who might not make it otherwise would very often crawl across broken glass for a chance at the show.

I'd like to think I wouldn't. But I can't say with certainty that I'd be strong enough not to, if faced with losing a lifelong dream.

I have a lot less sympathy for a major league player already there, who just wants to enhance his physical strength to get a bigger contract.

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm so afraid of needles that it would barely even cross my mind.

harangatang
04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
If it meant prolonging or enhancing my career in an age where no rules prohibited it. Yep, without a doubt.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm 5'5".

You got any HGH in that bag?

;)

04-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I am sure I would. I am also sure if I had I would currently regret it.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Hard to say in a hypothetical like this. Because I'm 5'8" I doubt roids would have been the difference between making it and not. I see Ryan Freel at 5'10" and he looks like a midget next to Dunn, Jr, Arroyo, etc. So I'd be an even shorter midget.

Assuming I could actually play the game and had the physical charicteristics....I'd probably be tempted. Especially if I saw my chance to get into the bigs ebbing away.

Always Red
04-11-2007, 08:15 AM
So far, 33% have answered yes, and 67% have answered no.

My guess is that this is roughly the same percentage of professional baseball players (on any level) who experimented with performance enhancing substances- 33%.

bucksfan2
04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Here is my deal with this (I am going to make some assumptions). If I am Bonds (obviously a proud, egotistical individual) and am the premier slugger of my generation and also the most feared pitcher in the game and I see a player like Sosa who begins to bulk up and hit 65 hrs I would. You see guys who have inferior talents who bulk up to hit more home runs, play in more games (durability of steroids), and get bigger contracts that i do, Im going to do some stuff to level the playing field.

If I Palmero and have one of the sweetest swing in all of baseball I stay as far away from steriods as possible. It may help me hit a few more hrs but it doesn't matter because as a 1b or DH I can play at a high level for many years because of my swing.

If I am a marginal MLB talent or a poor latino kid who knows that steroids would most probably give me a boost to the next level and the money that goes along with it I do. Especially if I see my peers who are doing the same thing I do what it takes to level the playing field.

That said I do not like the Bonds', Sosa's, Palmero's, Giambi's (who got a $100+ million contract because of roids) and McGwire's of the world. I appreciate the Jr's, Larkin's, etc. of the world who did what they did on god given talent.

REDREAD
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
If I was already in the majors, of course not. Even if I was only a Juan Castro level player, I made it. (I voted no, because that's how I understood the question).

It would be far more tempting if I was a AAAA player, and a little juice would put me over the edge. I wish I had a different answer, but in this case, I probably would juice and try to get the financial security of a big league job.

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Big no from me. Don't care for needles. My wife gets a kick out of me when I have to have my blood drawn. It's a major event.

What about "The Clear"??? Would you have used that?

boognish
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I definitely would have taken PEDs. Likely, I would have had a team of scientists on staff working to give me any competitive advantage I could find, as the game's management abetted the use of such means. If I could take a pill, shoot a syringe, or rub on a cream to heftily supplement my team's chance of victory as well as augment my personal income, there wouldn't be much to hold me back aside from the time it took to research the long-term effects.

redsrule2500
04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Nope, I hate taking any drugs anyway and especially injections that I don't need, so no.

BigJohn
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I played college football in the early 80s and didn't juice! Many(most) on my team did a few are gone because of it!

Redlegs
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
What about "The Clear"??? Would you have used that?
Probably not. Wouldn't be good for my pals, Ping & Pong.

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
I am no angel, but I would not have used anything illegal i.e. testosterone/HGH (I consider this illegal as it is breaking the law to use them w/o a doctor) but I probably would have tried andro back in the day.

oneupper
04-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Sure...
Carrots, Oranges, Broccoli...

http://WWW.TAYLORGIFTS.COM/IMAGES/P19479B.JPG

reds44
04-11-2007, 06:26 PM
In the late 80s and 90s? I'm not sure I wouldn't have with the information out then.

Now? There's no way I would.

toledodan
04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
back in my younger days i had six pack abbs. now i have a keg but i voted yes anyway. back then i couldn't put on the mass but after i quit working out years later the mass put itself on without trying. roids is something i wouldn't do now but i could have imagined doing back then to get a little edge if i thought it would have gotten me over the top. my problem trying to make it into pro ball was a lack of speed. i was clean(didn't drink, smoke or do drugs) but was short winded and had a bad right knee. i had one tryout for the pirates at the university of dayton and when it was clear i couldn't outrun the catchers even when i only weighed 145 pounds it was time to take up bowling and softball.