PDA

View Full Version : Thom Brenneman is a breath of fresh air

Redleg75
04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not saying his critque of every at bat was correct but our plate discipline is not good. In the eighth Freel should have been taking 1-0 -- not that the manager should put on the take -- but the goal is to get on base and 1-0 that's freel's best shot.

howyoufreelin
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree that Thom Brennaman is an awesome addition to the staff, but I don't think him and Chris Welsh mesh very well in the booth. Welsh is way out of his league and it's obvious when they are together. I'd much rather here The Cowboy and Thom in the booth together.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree that Thom Brennaman is an awesome addition to the staff, but I don't think him and Chris Welsh mesh very well in the booth. Welsh is way out of his league and it's obvious when they are together. I'd much rather here The Cowboy and Thom in the booth together.

I agree. It just seems like Thom and Chris are not on the same page.

dfs
04-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Just for what it's worth....I didn't think anybody could annoy me more than Grande, but Thhhom came close. He's going to have to get a lot better.

On the other hand, Jeff Brantley sounds just great.

RollyInRaleigh
04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree. It just seems like Thom and Chris are not on the same page.

The pair was very awkward last night. Chris is not used to dealing with sharp comments and while Thom was "very critical" about the Reds plate discipline, Chris was "over the top apologetic" and almost seemed annoyed that Thom was at all critical. They are not good together. Thom is much better with Brantley. Welch and Grande are better suited for each other and I'm not saying that is a wonderful thing.

Always Red
04-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, Welch seemed distinctly uncomfortable when Thom was being critical.

I'd give Welch some time with that, he's used to working with George Grande, who is all sunshine and roses (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm enjoying Thom's "pointed observations." Sometimes he's a little over the top, but most of the time I find myself agreeing with him. Also, his on air personna here is different than it is on the national Fox broadcasts, and I like that- he's a Reds fans, you can tell.

Castellini wanted him here, and I'm sure Thom told him how he was going to be in the booth. I agree, he is a breath of fresh air!

Actually, I enjoy all of the Reds broadcasters, yes, even Goerge Grande. They all have different styles and approaches. It's not boring, that's for sure!!

BuckeyeRedleg
04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
The pair was very awkward last night. Chris is not used to dealing with sharp comments and while Thom was "very critical" about the Reds plate discipline, Chris was "over the top apologetic" and almost seemed annoyed that Thom was at all critical. They are not good together. Thom is much better with Brantley. Welch and Grande are better suited for each other and I'm not saying that is a wonderful thing.

Well said. I completely agree. There were a few awkward moments last night. You can almost tell that Chris is not to fond of his new colleague.

Personally, I think the criticism at times is a bit much, but like it for the most part. I still think I would rather hear Thom and Jeff over Chris and George any day.

RollyInRaleigh
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Welch still wants to be "one of the boys" and doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. While it is a little over the top, Thom's criticism of the Reds plate approach has been right on the mark as far as I'm concerned. For this team to have any chance at all, they are going to have to get away from the entire team going to the plate with a free swinging mentality that lets mediocre pitching get into the 7th inning of games.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't mind the criticism. I'd much rather have an honest assessment of things than George's golly gosh gee willikers approach. But criticism doesn't have to be beaten into the ground. Criticize then move on. I'm watching/listening to a ball game not an analysis of the State of the Union speech. Also, criticism just for the sake of criticism is just as bad as no criticism at all.

RollyInRaleigh
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm with you, Chip. I think he has been a tad over the top with his criticism's.

bucksfan2
04-11-2007, 10:45 AM
The only thing that bothers me about Thom is that this series he has spoken glowingly of the DBacks and he has been very critical of every red that isn't 35 years or older or whose name is not Hamilton.

howyoufreelin
04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
The only thing that bothers me about Thom is that this series he has spoken glowingly of the DBacks and he has been very critical of every red that isn't 35 years or older or whose name is not Hamilton.

I've noticed that as well. It seems at some points that he is selling them to the viewers and showing off his knowledge of their ogranization. I chalk that up to the D-Backs being his former team, though. I wouldn't expect that too much this year when we're playing anyone else.

OesterPoster
04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I've noticed that as well. It seems at some points that he is selling them to the viewers and showing off his knowledge of their ogranization. I chalk that up to the D-Backs being his former team, though. I wouldn't expect that too much this year when we're playing anyone else.

I think that's fairly common with any job. I haven't changed jobs in 8 years, but I still reference how we did things at the old place.

When MNF came back to Cincinnati two years ago, Al Michaels made a lot of comments about the region and his time in Cinci. It's only natural to comment on areas of familiarity.

chettt
04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Tom Brenneman is getting old, fast. He wasn't so bad when I listened to him only once a week or so. Every night is a bit much. Its ok for him to make his point, but we heard him the first time. He needs to let it go and move on. These broadcasts are about the Reds, not Tom Brenneman. On the other hand, I totally love to hear Jeff Brantley's comments.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with most of the above said. I'm fine with telling it like it is, but after a while of not letting it go, it becomes annoying and Thom is dangerously close to that line.

Heath
04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Thom has been very supportive and glowing about Encarnacion's defense and Adam Dunn overall.

CRedsLarkin11
04-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I agree with some of the things Thom has said but he really does beat it into the ground. I found myself wanting to turn the volume down several times, I thought this was a very good decision when it was announced but I'm not so sure any more. He is critical of seemingly every at bat when the game is close. Yeah, the team does not play small ball like they should and unless they get better it will show up in the standings but the critique of swinging at certain pitches in certain counts over and over again is a little much. (especially when on Monday night his criticism of an at bat started with..."I've never been in between the lines but...") And its not just the Reds, I've heard him say Tracy has a terrible arm several times and he's made some fine plays in the first two games and seemingly every pitcher with a not so spectacular k-bb ratio "is as wild as the day as long" and that basically every Reds hitter should take pitches every at bat. Anyway, that's my rant for the day but he's gonna be here for a long while so hopefully he'll grow on me.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
It probably was a little mistake to have Thom do his first TV games with the D'backs. It's his old team and old turf and it seems it's been hard for him to let go of that completely.

I'll reserve judgment till I hear him do a game with some other team.

I do agree with the "good remarks but beat it into the ground" comments. I think that comes from his Fox network background where that behavior is the norm (:wave: Tim McCarver, Joe Buck, et al).

goreds2
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Thom gets ahead of himself also.

Before the play was complete in I think the 9th inning.....

"6-4-3 and the inning is over....ohhh wait the throw is offline."

or something to that affect.

Doc. Scott
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I wonder if all that time Thom has spent with Fox Sports hasn't been detrimental to his style. Fox tends to treat baseball viewers like they're all suffering from ADD and secretly hate the game itself. The way Thom just harps over stuff seems like it might be the result of too many years espousing the Fox ethos of baseball broadcasting.

smith288
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I wonder if all that time Thom has spent with Fox Sports hasn't been detrimental to his style. Fox tends to treat baseball viewers like they're all suffering from ADD and secretly hate the game itself. The way Thom just harps over stuff seems like it might be the result of too many years espousing the Fox ethos of baseball broadcasting.
I dont get that sense at all from Fox baseball.

pjhogan
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I hate that every time a Reds player pops up it is a terrible at bat and every time an opponent pops up it is a great pitch.

And you know if that borderline pitch against Hamilton was called a strike he would have went on-and-on about how it was too close to take. When the ump called it a ball he went on-and-on about what a great eye Hamilton has.

bucksfan
04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Tom Brenneman is getting old, fast. He wasn't so bad when I listened to him only once a week or so. Every night is a bit much. Its ok for him to make his point, but we heard him the first time. He needs to let it go and move on. These broadcasts are about the Reds, not Tom Brenneman. On the other hand, I totally love to hear Jeff Brantley's comments.

That's my take as well. I think Thom does bring a lot of good qualities, but I was quite tired of the same comments time after time, harping on the same things. It was like he was trying to pick a fight or something. Be as critical as you want about George and Chris (and I will too at times), but I don't want to hear a whole bunch more of the stuff I hear dthe past 2 nights on teh tv broadcasts. Accurate or not, it got old fast to my ears.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I guess the way I look at it is, that I've seen enough crap for the past 7 years that's it's refreshing to hear someone to call it what it is. Crap.

Fil3232
04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Thom made me mute the TV last night. It wasn't the points he was making, but how he belabored them and beat them into the ground with such ferocity. We get it Thom. Felt bad for The Creeper to have to put up with it all night.

Thank god the DBacks aren't in the NL Central. Between Thom's Dbacks and Grande's Redbirds, that would be miserable.

Redsman80
04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Thom is fine, Chris and George aren't used to partners with opinions. Thom does not mesh well with Chris. It should be Thom and Jeff, I agree that the arguing gets annoying.

RosieRed
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Thom gets ahead of himself also.

Before the play was complete in I think the 9th inning.....

"6-4-3 and the inning is over....ohhh wait the throw is offline."

or something to that affect.

I laughed outloud when that happened. For a good two minutes.

Chris Sabowned
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
If they keep mixing and matching these announce teams, I'm gonna go nuts. All Grande and Welsh do is tell stupid jokes and laugh the whole time, while sugar coating everything negative the Reds do. On the Other hand all Thom does is complain about everything the Reds do. I think Thom and Brantley have the potential to be a very good announce team. But don't mix and match.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see Thom and George once. That would be interesting. :)

howyoufreelin
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Thom: What a terrible at bat!

George: That's the best terrible at bat I have ever seen! Get her next time!

Yachtzee
04-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Joy...and Pain
Sunshine...and Rain

westofyou
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM

http://deadpuppy.darkgraysheep.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/hotcold.jpg

UGADaddy
04-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I still think I would rather hear Thom and Jeff over Chris and George any day.

Agreed.

Also, to say that Chris is out of Thom's league is insane. The Crafty Lefthander is out of no one's league. Neither is George. I would love to see the Reds go to Thom and Jeff permanently.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM

I don't hear much TV....However, I have listened to Chris and George in the past...while in college, mostly, when I could get the games on FSN while up at Bowling Green....and I'm pretty much under the impression that their style has not changed.

Thom is so anti-George, I don't think Chris was quite ready for it.

You know me...I have nothing wrong with criticism....when it's deserving. Last night, it was deserving. "Sugar coating" the reality of the situation would have been unproductive.

registerthis
04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Thom might very well assault George the first time he unleashes his "Reds on the smilin' side of the scoreboard" line.

Ron Madden
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I hate that every time a Reds player pops up it is a terrible at bat and every time an opponent pops up it is a great pitch.

And you know if that borderline pitch against Hamilton was called a strike he would have went on-and-on about how it was too close to take. When the ump called it a ball he went on-and-on about what a great eye Hamilton has.

:beerme:

James B.
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I think Thom is trying to be like his dad and be critical of the players but he goes way overboard. He comes acroos as a know it all. It seems like he never has anything good to say about anyone. I really like and respect Chris Welsh. I felt bad for him last night. I think Brantly is doing a good job and I value his opinion.

Spring~Fields
04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Thom has been rambling after he has made some of his points. Plus he was too caustic in his communication style with his partner in the booth, putting him in a no win response situation, they're suppose to compliment each other providing a smooth transition between each other.

FlightRick
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I love Thom so far. Having opinions is good. Feeling the pain of a fan is good. Expressing that same pain that I feel in the form of frustrated-but-intelligent ranting similar to what I might do is good.

But I totally see where people are coming from on the "beating a dead horse" issue. Unfortunately, I lay at least half the blame for that sense of repetitive harping at the feet of his broadcast partner.

Thom seems intent on either making his point, or having his point refuted/illuminated by his ostensible color man... but when Chris just hems and haws and can't bring himself to be outwardly frustrated with a poor Reds' performance nor to be contrary towards his play-by-play man, Thom just keeps going and going and going and going.... Thom seems intent on instigating a meaningful dialogue leading to some kind of closure, but Chris' wishy-washiness turns things into a monologue. A bad one, with no punchline, that never seems to end. You know, like Leno's.

It's a chemistry thing. Either it'll get better when Chris decides to grow a spine and be a capable foil to Thom, agreeing with his accurate assessments or calling bullplop on his sketchy ones. Or it won't, and Thom will be at his best when working with Brantley and his dad (neither of whom are wanting for spine).

Additionally: I agree that years of working with FOX cannot have been good for Young Brenneman's habits. Anybody who genuinely doesn't see the Raging Suck of FOX's baseball production can kindly board the same rocketship that I will one day reserve (the very second I have one billion dollars of disposible income) to jettison all FOX Sports Executives and Personalities directly into the sun. Tim McCarver? He doesn't even get a seat on the ship: I'm strapping him to the nose cone with barbed wire.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I gave a big presentation today along with a coworker that I normally don't work with. It was very difficult because we don't know each other's style, and kept stepping on each other. I don't care for some of the approaches my coworker uses so I'm sure I was visually cringing at different times (I hope I hid it, but likely I telegraphed my fealings). We talked prior to the presentation and "game planned" everything out, but once the red light went on it's a totally different story.

I'm sure that is adding to whatever natural tensions might exist between new broadcast partners. You don't just say "go" and start talking and suddenly work well with someone else.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
It's a chemistry thing. Either it'll get better when Chris decides to grow a spine and be a capable foil to Thom, agreeing with his accurate assessments or calling bullplop on his sketchy ones. Or it won't, and Thom will be at his best when working with Brantley and his dad (neither of whom are wanting for spine).

Great point. I have customers who will ask very casutic sounding questions. They aren't really mad, or resistant to my products. They are just fealing me out and want a firm, clear, responce (whether it be good or bad). Thom may be throwing Chris a line Chris isn't capabile of grabing.

Putting a guy who likes black and white statements in a booth with a nice guy who really has to work up his courage to hint that the Reds might have made a mistake is going to lead to awkard moments.

redsfan1966
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I hate to admit it since I am a big fan of the booth changes...but I cringed in the late innings last night listening to Thom....normally I would listen to the radio while turning the TV sound down, but I dediced to finish watching Tribe vs. Angels and DVR the Reds, so I listened to Thom and Chris...Yeah, its painfully obvious Chris cant handle Thom as his partner...I think this maybe more of a potential problem than many may think...I think only George and Chris can work together...could mean either pops (Marty) works solo or with his son or even the possibility of the Creeper working with Marty, who he is familiar with, may be coming...

cheerryanfreel
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Personally I love the way Thom broadcasts the game. Sure he can be very critical at times but for the most part he is correct in his points. I think Chris does a great job however sometimes he defends the Reds way to much. We have some glaring problems on the team and Thom pointed them out and I think it was needed.

fearofpopvol1
04-11-2007, 05:39 PM
The thing I find ironic are those that criticize Thom for his approach to broadcasting but then turn around and criticize the Reds (organization) for the same or other reasons.

What is the difference??

Thom's style is a little different, so what? I personally like the fact that he is opinionated and critical. If the players make (repeated) mistakes, they should be criticized. They're making millions of dollars to play a game! They don't need to be pampered. By not criticizing, you're just covering up the inevitable.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
The thing I find ironic are those that criticize Thom for his approach to broadcasting but then turn around and criticize the Reds (organization) for the same or other reasons.

What is the difference??

Because "professional" broadcasters should never, ever, be critical of their team. They should be part of a well oiled marketing machine. No harshness is allowed. caugh *Marty* caugh

Of course, if they are too sunshine and happy rainbows that's bad too. They shouldn't be so "homer" and sugary. caugh *George* caugh

So as long as they don't critisize or complement the team, they are doing A-OK.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Because "professional" broadcasters should never, ever, be critical of their team. They should be part of a well oiled marketing machine. No harshness is allowed.

Of course, if they are too sunshine and happy rainbows that's bad too. They shouldn't be so "homer" and sugary.

So as long as they don't critisize or complement the team, they are doing A-OK.

So be neutral, like a broadcast team that's doing a national game?

I don't like that either.....for a LOCAL game...a national game, I'd expect more of that.

I'm all about edginess and somebody who isn't afraid to say what I'm thinking (or yelling much more colorfully at the TV set).

I don't see how the local broadcast team being critical of a team who deserves is is hurting the fansbase...

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
So be neutral, like a broadcast team that's doing a national game?

I don't like that either.....for a LOCAL game...a national game, I'd expect more of that.

I'm all about edginess and somebody who isn't afraid to say what I'm thinking (or yelling much more colorfully at the TV set).

I don't see how the local broadcast team being critical of a team who deserves is is hurting the fansbase...

I sense some sarcasm...as for me, I want the announcer (local) announcing from a Reds fan point of view...not a cheerleading homer, not a negative nelly, but a guy who knows his audience and what his audience expects out of the team.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm never sarcastic....(yeah, right).

I'm not saying the local crew should lambast the team, but don't be afraid to point out the negatives when there are some....even if it's a bit harsh. I want them to be fans like me...

When a guy like Steve Phillips, who is doing a Reds game, and is crapping on Hamilton, he looks stupid because he obviously hasn't taken the effort to even pay attention....just shut up and call the game if you don't know.

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm never sarcastic....(yeah, right).

I'm not saying the local crew should lambast the team, but don't be afraid to point out the negatives when there are some....even if it's a bit harsh. I want them to be fans like me...

Actually I was referring to LTLAbner...I'm really hoping his comment was sarcastic otherwise I'm no longer a fan of it...clarification??? :confused:

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Actually I was referring to LTLAbner...I'm really hoping his comment was sarcastic otherwise I'm no longer a fan of it...clarification??? :confused:

Yes, there was a tad of sarcasm in my post.

Just a tad.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 06:00 PM

You quoted me...I got confused.

And no, I'm never sarcastic ;)

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Just a tad.

Oh...I didn't catch it. :doh:

I'm with you then :D

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Just a tad.

:laugh:

Chip R
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM

I think criticism is justified. Criticizing someone like EE for not getting a bunt down - or criticizing Narron for having him bunt in the first place - is fine. But when the criticism goes on and on and on ad nauseum, no one wants to hear that except the person spewing the criticism. If you played the wrong commercial at work, Matt, you would expect to be criticized by your boss. But if he kept on criticizing you for that one mistake over and over again, I doubt you would be OK with that. Or if you showed up to work with cowboy boots on and your boss said you were doing a bad job because you wore cowboy boots to work. I certainly wouldn't like it if my boss started criticizing me just to be critical.

cheerryanfreel
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
The goal of an announcer is to give the viewers not only the play by play which they can see by just watching, but also a deeper understand of the game as well as a different insight. Sometimes (ie. last night) it needs to be pointed out that we play absolutly horrible fundamental baseball and I think Thom did a good job of that. Sure he was alittle harsh on Freel but overall his points were dead on

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I think criticism is justified. Criticizing someone like EE for not getting a bunt down - or criticizing Narron for having him bunt in the first place - is fine. But when the criticism goes on and on and on ad nauseum, no one wants to hear that except the person spewing the criticism. If you played the wrong commercial at work, Matt, you would expect to be criticized by your boss. But if he kept on criticizing you for that one mistake over and over again, I doubt you would be OK with that. Or if you showed up to work with cowboy boots on and your boss said you were doing a bad job because you wore cowboy boots to work. I certainly wouldn't like it if my boss started criticizing me just to be critical.

I see your point....but I'm perfect, so I don't get criticized.

:devil:

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I heard somebody today talking about how Thom, at the beginning of the broadcast was sticking up for Narron and saying he thought Cincinnati fans were a bit too harsh on him, and then toward the end of the game, he was criticizing him like the fans have.

:laugh:

Is that true?

TeamBoone
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I like Thom's style, but agree that he's gone overboard the last couple nights. I won't cite examples as everyone else has done that. I admit that I like him paired with Brantly better than Welsh.

Chris also critiques players; he's just more tactful about how he goes about it... and IMHO, that's the way it should be rather than ragging.

Last night, Thom really got on Freel (with good reason) but with little tact. Then he said, "I'm not really criticizing Freel, but.... ". That was followed by Chris saying, "I think you are". He also mentioned to Thom that he doesn't take the player's style at the plate into consideration when formulating his opinions of what they're doing wrong, e.g., some guys swing early in the count, some don't, etc. It's their style and they won't change... doesn't mean it's wrong.

I actually think he handled it quite well.

Blue
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I cannot stand Thom as an announcer. I have to mute the TV when he is on.

Don't know about you, but I'm on edge enough during a Reds game, and his stupid rants make it impossible for me to relax and enjoy the game at all. His commentary often reflects a lack of understanding of the game. I don't think the guy has made a single enlightening comment since he's been here, and if he has, he ruined it by repeating it over and over.

His big problem is this: the game is baseball. Failure at the plate is inherent. Even the best players will fail 70% of the time. If you want to go on and on and on about failure, you'll have plenty of opportunities. He has taken advantage of more than I care to hear.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Mute the TV, and turn on the Big One

:)

Blue
04-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Mute the TV, and turn on the Big One

:)

I would love to! But, unfortunately, there is a delay of several seconds, and I feel like Marty is some kind of a prophet forecasting the pitch before the pitcher even winds up.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I would love to! But, unfortunately, there is a delay of several seconds, and I feel like Marty is some kind of a prophet forecasting the pitch before the pitcher even winds up.

I know...that sucks....there isn't anything we can do about it though, unfortunately.

TeamBoone
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I know...that sucks....there isn't anything we can do about it though, unfortunately.

Ironically, it hasn't been like that forever... only the past few years (2 or 3?). What changed?

Yachtzee
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Ironically, it hasn't been like that forever... only the past few years (2 or 3?). What changed?

Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl?

Always Red
:laugh: :laugh:

Jim Day showed a clip of Thom from 1995 (accepting the broadcasting job in Arizona), and the first words out of Welch's mouth tonight were that "You looked like Harry Potter back then, Thom."

:laugh: :laugh:

BoydsOfSummer
I like Thom's style, but agree that he's gone overboard the last couple nights. I won't cite examples as everyone else has done that. I admit that I like him paired with Brantly better than Welsh.

Chris also critiques players; he's just more tactful about how he goes about it... and IMHO, that's the way it should be rather than ragging.

Last night, Thom really got on Freel (with good reason) but with little tact. Then he said, "I'm not really criticizing Freel, but.... ". That was followed by Chris saying, "I think you are". He also mentioned to Thom that he doesn't take the player's style at the plate into consideration when formulating his opinions of what they're doing wrong, e.g., some guys swing early in the count, some don't, etc. It's their style and they won't change... doesn't mean it's wrong.

I actually think he handled it quite well.

That was after Freel hit the first pitch and flied out. Tom ended his rant about it with "I'm not picking on Freel" followed immediately by Welsh's "Sounds like you are".

Outstanding...:laugh:

About half the time Welsh has absolutely nothing to say. <crickets> I think he's so used to Grande goo-gooing over Edmonds that he doesn't know how to act.

Doro
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I hate Welsh, he is a huge homer announcer and even though I love the Reds I like to be realistic. Thom is like his father.... he'll tell it how it is.

AtomicDumpling
04-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I have been very disappointed with Thom so far. He is constantly whining about the Reds. If you hate them so much then go to work somewhere else!

The players don't give a crap what the announcer says, so he should quit trying to lecture them.

The announcer is supposed to enhance our enjoyment of the game. So far Thom has made the games much less enjoyable for me. I can't stand him already.

I really like Jeff Brantley's intelligent insights and genuine enthusiasm for the games.

For my money, I would have Brantley and Welsh working together, but one of them would have to improve his PBP skills.

bucksfan
04-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I
The announcer is supposed to enhance our enjoyment of the game. So far Thom has made the games much less enjoyable for me. I can't stand him already.

I really like Jeff Brantley's intelligent insights and genuine enthusiasm for the games.

For my money, I would have Brantley and Welsh working together, but one of them would have to improve his PBP skills.

This is probably where I'm at about now also. I do think Thom has all kinds of broadcasting skills to bring to the table, and I hope he can change a bit. I like Welsh OK - George was the one too sugary sweet for me. I do however want the announcers to seem to like our team. Like you said, it seems he can't wait to pick them apart. It reminds me of time several years ago at a Buckeyes game when I sat near a guy (decked out in Buckeye gear) who just would not shut up about Steve Bellisari. I mean, I agreed that he wasn't a real good college QB, but I was rooting for him nonetheless and just about punched the guy in the face by the 3rd quarter.

Blue
04-12-2007, 12:40 AM
In fairness, I have to say that tonight Thom was enjoyable. Even when the team was losing and not scoring he maintained his respect for the players. Very good job.

TeamBoone
04-12-2007, 01:05 AM
In fairness, I have to say that tonight Thom was enjoyable. Even when the team was losing and not scoring he maintained his respect for the players. Very good job.

Totally agree. He was a good boy tonight.

In all fairness, I've not had any beef about Thom until those first two games against the D-Backs. Maybe being back on his old turf brought out the worst in him.

bucksfan2
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
After watching this series I am wondering if Thom is still being paid by the DBacks. I dont mind him being critical but I want a local announcer to be some what of a homer. And quite frankly I dont really care where the Dbacks AAA, AA, A, Low A, Rookie, etc locations are and I dont really care how each individual player faired there. Hopefully he will revert to a reds announcer when he leaves Arizona because man did it get annoying.

Falls City Beer
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't mind criticism at all if it's aimed at the right targets. You start missing the target, then you grow tiresome...

fearofpopvol1
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I have been very disappointed with Thom so far. He is constantly whining about the Reds. If you hate them so much then go to work somewhere else!

The players don't give a crap what the announcer says, so he should quit trying to lecture them.

I didn't know there were set rules in place for broadcasters. Who knew!

There is nothing wrong with some due criticism. If the Reds play well, there is not likely to be criticism (or very little of it). Blame the Reds and their play...

Will
04-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I think in Thom's case he shouldn't blurt out every thought that flashes through his mind. BTW isn't Thom "play by play" and Chris "color" ? If so Thom should call the game and let Chris give the meaningful baseball insight.

Doro
04-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I'd much rather Thom speak the truth and listen to Grande and Welsch spit out their vanilla b.s. They are like robots, same thing every game.

lo ryder
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Can any of you be happy? Last year SS was the goat, this year its Thom. They are definitely at the opposite ends of the broadcast spectrum. Just wonder what would make an appropriate broadcast team for the majority?

AtomicDumpling
04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I just think Thom needs to relax and enjoy the game. If he is enjoying the game then it will transmit a good vibe to the listeners. I hate to hear people whine and complain.

I think maybe his ego is a bit large for the job. He should focus the broadcast on the team and the game and not try to dominate the whole show with his opinions and personality. This local TV job that he has now is a world apart from his national TV gig with Fox. We all tune in to follow the Reds, not the announcers.

Most viewers are not like us. We are baseball diehards that are much more knowledgable and up to date than the average viewer of the FSN Reds games. The announcers should calmly talk about the events surrounding the team while commenting on the game itself. Then when something exciting happens on the field they should transmit the proper vibe over the air. The announcers are an accessory to the product on the field. Thom seems to think he is the star of the show instead of the Reds.

jmac
04-13-2007, 01:42 AM
I'll admit thom comes across frank quite often. Of course Chris and his barbs with Thom are more annoying to me than Thom's frankness.
I dont really feel Chris is a homer either as usually when he critizes a reds player for something George will just talk about something else and not ever get in an arguement type discussion.
Now ....it's almost like Chris has a grudge or something. To me....they are not the best duo. I like Thom and Chris but together there isnt alot of chemistry "yet".
Dont move JB cause I like him where he is. He is getting better with pbp and his commentary is a very nice addition imo.

WVRedsFan
04-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Let's tally this up for those who aren't keeping score:

1. Marty's a grouchy old man who hasn't a clue and talks bad about the Reds
2. Joe's old and senile and can't call a game. He makes too many mistakes
3. George Grande is to "golly gee whiz" and annoys most everyone
4. Brantley can't do pbp and talks too much
5. Chris has a grudge against Thom and is either right or wrong, depending...
6. Thom is too critical of the Reds and should be a fan and not criticize

It seems no one likes anything the Reds' broadcsters do. I don't like Grande, Chris or Steve, but I have enjoyed Brantley and Thom. I've always liked Marty and Joe.

Much ado about nothing. It's entertainment, and not rocket science or world peace. Friends, it's get old year after year hearing complaints about the guys who bring us the games. In the whole realm of things, it matters not. It's baseball and I'm glad of it!!

sonny
04-13-2007, 03:28 AM

It seems no one likes anything the Reds' broadcsters do. I don't like Grande, Chris or Steve, but I have enjoyed Brantley and Thom. I've always liked Marty and Joe.

Much ado about nothing. It's entertainment, and not rocket science or world peace. Friends, it's get old year after year hearing complaints about the guys who bring us the games. In the whole realm of things, it matters not. It's baseball and I'm glad of it!!

Best, most well thought out post of the thread!:thumbup:

minus5
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM

I like the way you think. I do think that Thom drove home his point a few times too many but I still enjoy him. Aside from Grande there is really none of them that I really dislike in the broadcast booth. Part of Thom's problem is that he has the wrong last name to get off on the right foot with a lot of folks lately. I've enjoyed Brantley a lot too. Not everyone is always going to be pleased all the time.

membengal
04-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Just out of curisoity from the backlash to the initial comments on this thread, but constructive criticism is now not OK on here? I have not weighed in, but as near as I can tell, a bunch of folks thought Thom B. was like a dog with bone and wouldn't let off on some of his points. Sounds about right to me. Doesn't mean anyone wants him dropped off of the plane on the way to Chicago, just a note that some balance would be nice. That's all.

UK Brian
04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Thom's trying to be dad, and we definitely don't need another Marty on the airwaves. He needs to tone it down and give the fans a chance to build trust before blasting every mistake.

Will
04-13-2007, 07:35 PM
I just think Thom needs to relax and enjoy the game. If he is enjoying the game then it will transmit a good vibe to the listeners. I hate to hear people whine and complain.

I think maybe his ego is a bit large for the job. He should focus the broadcast on the team and the game and not try to dominate the whole show with his opinions and personality. This local TV job that he has now is a world apart from his national TV gig with Fox. We all tune in to follow the Reds, not the announcers.

Most viewers are not like us. We are baseball diehards that are much more knowledgable and up to date than the average viewer of the FSN Reds games. The announcers should calmly talk about the events surrounding the team while commenting on the game itself. Then when something exciting happens on the field they should transmit the proper vibe over the air. The announcers are an accessory to the product on the field. Thom seems to think he is the star of the show instead of the Reds.

I agree, Thom appears to want everyone to know how knowledgeable he is about the game by pointing out every tiny negative he can find. If it wasn't for him the camera would have never panned to Dunn on 3rd and we wouldn't have been any the worse off for it.