PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Vs. Brenneman

Superdude
04-11-2007, 07:54 PM
When do you think these guys are gonna make MLB history by hosting the first ever TV broadcasters brawl? Seriously...is anyone liking Thom Brenneman so far? Everybody gets on Grande for his ridiculous tan and gooby catch phrases, but I couldn't have been any more annoyed at Brenneman last night. Pointing out a deficiency he sees in the team is perfectly fine with me, but hearing him yell at every batter who swings at a pitch outside the zone the last two nights was downright painful. Even more so, I don't want to hear him throw a tantrum every time Welsh has a differing opinion. Chill out and call the game Thom! :bang:

Degenerate39
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
No October option?

Superdude
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Good point ;)

toledodan
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
while i'm glad we have thom here, he will be in for a long season if he just doesn't relax. this team will have alot of up and down moments and i'm not sure if he is ready for it.

KronoRed
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
May, and Welsh will win in a 3rd round KO

TC81190
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I swear to god no one will ever like our broadcasters even if we bring in Vin Scully, resurrect Harry Caray, and bring Jesus down from the heavens to do PBP.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm a huge fan of Kalas in Philly. I think his first name is Harry?

Awesome awesome talent.

ThatPitchIsDunn
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Awesome awesome talent.

"There's a drive, it's gotta chance, it's.........outta here!"

Don't forget to eat your Campbell's Chunky Soup :D

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
NFL films

AtomicDumpling
04-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I too have found Thom to be annoying. I just flat haven't liked him so far. He whines to much. He belabors a point way too long. Just make a statement then move on to something else.

I much prefer Brantley. I like Chris Welsh too.

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I swear to god no one will ever like our broadcasters even if we bring in Vin Scully, resurrect Harry Caray, and bring Jesus down from the heavens to do PBP.

I can see it now..."Why does Jesus say 'The Best Sports Show Period', thats not the name of the show!" :evil:

Yachtzee
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Awesome awesome talent.

Harry Kalas is great. Along with John Facenda, one of the classic voices of NFL Films.

jmac
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
How about Tony Kubek and Joe G (maybe argeola). I know its spelled wrong.
Anyone know if Tony K is still around or what he is doing now ?

Bob Winters
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I like him better than listening to Grande/Welsh combo blow smoke for nine innings. And thankfully I haven't heard any private jokes abou FSN Ohio employees I don't even know.

Joseph
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Thom's doing a great job. Heaven forbid he acts as though he cares if they win or not. Sure he could stand to make a point and move on sometimes, but it is far superior to the "We'll get em next time" mentality that's prevalent.

Redskinalum02
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Agreed. You gotta be kidding me.

Doro
04-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I like him better than listening to Grande/Welsh combo blow smoke for nine innings. And thankfully I haven't heard any private jokes abou FSN Ohio employees I don't even know.

These are my exact thoughts

alexad
04-11-2007, 10:16 PM
IF anything Welsh is not saying much. I can not stand him. I think it is funny that when he says something really stupid, Thom ignores him with a moement of silence. Grande would laugh and then they would talk about the stupid statement for a few minutes.

Thom is in Arizona so he is overly pumped up. Get out of the desert and he will be fine.

FlyerFanatic
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I wish they would get rid of Welsh...man I cant stand that guy

ED44
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Anyone think they were told to tone down the disagreements? They didn't seem nearly as bad tonight (at least they didn't to me).

Homer Bailey
04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Thom is a big league announcer. He tells it like it is instead of making everything appear rosy like Grande does. That being said, I hate the Thom-Welsh combo. Gotta have Brantley with Thom.

thatcoolguy_22
04-12-2007, 12:55 AM
i thought mark grace and whoever is with him in arizona are funny. Grace has a goofy accent and they just goof off the entire broadcast. Nothing like an announcer that will disagree with an ump when they see fit.

MaineRed
04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I too have found Thom to be annoying. I just flat haven't liked him so far. He whines to much. He belabors a point way too long. Just make a statement then move on to something else.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

MaineRed
04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
i thought mark grace and whoever is with him in arizona are funny. Grace has a goofy accent and they just goof off the entire broadcast. Nothing like an announcer that will disagree with an ump when they see fit.

I thought they stunk. Darren Sutton is the former Brewers goofball who took over for Thom in Arizona and listening to Grace is like a Diamondbacks propaganda film.

The bit about Griffey wearing his hat backwards was a joke and I do give Sutton some credit for going at it with Grace about this. I'm sure at some point in his career Mark Grace had his hat on backwards.

Ltlabner
04-12-2007, 07:51 AM

Interestingly, durring spring training, plenty of people were checking out the other teams radio feeds.

Guess what the prevailing comments were? These guys are horrable. These guys suck. They are worse than their team (I think that was in reference to the Pirates).

So you may be right.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Thom just strikes me as one who failed to make his high school baseball team. I'm probably wrong, but I myself have stood in the box and faced an 86 mph heater and it wasn't easy. I can only imagine what it's like to step into the box in a major league game.

Nothing against Thom, but the game's a hell of a lot easier from the booth, I'm sure.

WVRedsFan
04-14-2007, 07:25 PM

True.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 08:54 PM

So true!

Vin Scully is the best, a living god at baseball broadcasting, IMHO. The only man alive who has no need of another human being in the booth with him.

Harry Caray, what can you say about the guy? Good times, good fun! He had serious man-love for Ryne Sandberg, that's for sure. :laugh: Just as many people in Chicago loved Harry as didn't care for him, mostly because of his big switch from the Sox to the Cubs. I lived there in Chicago during the mid and late 80's and it was a crazy time to be living on the near North side.

I really do enjoy all of our broadcasters. I'm old enough to remember the Waite Hoyt stories, from my dad and grandfather, though I never heard him do a game. Al Michaels was excellent in his short time with Joe Nuxhall, but Marty and Joe were the voice of baseball in Cincinnati, and all throughout Reds country for years and years. I love those two guys, mostly just for being there all of those years. When I fall asleep, sometimes still, if it's hot, I can still imagine their voices through the transistor radio under my pillow, and my mom yelling at me to turn the radio off because I need to get up for school tomorrow...

Jeff Brantley reminds me of Joe, mostly because I have no idea what's going on the game while I'm listening to him. I know the third out has been recorded when the commercial comes on. The dead air is a nice touch, too. I really don't mind it all that much; baseball is just that kind of game...

I've been listening to Thom Brennaman for years, first with the Reds on TV (Channel 5) with Johnny Bench, and the Bearcats basketball games, before he moved on to fame and fortune. He and Welch and Grande will be fine. It's hard to believe Welch and Grande have been doing this as many years together as they have. I always enjoy Welch's input, and what can you say about George Grande, who is maybe the nicest man who ever lived? He has the same problem with Jim Edmonds that Harry Carey had with Ryne Sandberg!!

I like them all- they're all different in their own way, and I really do enjoy listening to them all. All of the them are fans of Reds baseball, which is very important to me- none of them are indifferent.

***Of note, this is my 1000th post! I really do love coming here, to read, learn, and discuss Reds baseball. I'm so glad I found this place, as it is a wonderful diversion from the stress of ordinary life! :beerme:

Doro
04-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Vin Scully is so great. I watch Dodger games on MLB.tv just to listen to him.

Ron Madden
04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
My Wife and I dont always agree on things.

That doesn't mean we dont like each other.

Sometimes I might disagree with something one of the Broadcasters say.

That doesn't mean I hate them. :)

remdog
04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
He whines to much. He belabors a point way too long. Just make a statement then move on to something else.

Sounds like he'd fit right in at Redszone.

Rem

goreds2
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
How about Tony Kubek and Joe G (maybe argeola). I know its spelled wrong.
Anyone know if Tony K is still around or what he is doing now ?

By far, my favorite TV broadcast crew of ALL TIME. During the non-cable days in the 1970's, I always looked forward to their Saturday game.

Your question about Tony:

Anthony Christopher Kubek (born October 12, 1936[1], in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is a retired American baseball player and television broadcaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kubek

geniusMoment
04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
With all the changes I'm surprised Tracy Jones didn't get a more prominent spot. He wouldn't even need a broadcast partner, Tracy all by himself would be the greatest collection of talent since the last supper.

Red in Chicago
04-14-2007, 11:06 PM

harry was the bomb, scully, just unlistenable in my unpopular opinion

WVPacman
04-14-2007, 11:15 PM

I agree completly man,they will always be people on here not liking how our broadcasters call the game.I for one think Thom is going a GREAT job b/c he is telling what really is happening.It sounds like some of you just want a anouncer that won't say nothing bad about the reds team,players,coachs.Not me I want a announcer that tells you the facts on whats happening in the game and if the player is playing good or horible.

WVRedsFan
04-14-2007, 11:27 PM
So true!

Vin Scully is the best, a living god at baseball broadcasting, IMHO. The only man alive who has no need of another human being in the booth with him.

Harry Caray, what can you say about the guy? Good times, good fun! He had serious man-love for Ryne Sandberg, that's for sure. :laugh: Just as many people in Chicago loved Harry as didn't care for him, mostly because of his big switch from the Sox to the Cubs. I lived there in Chicago during the mid and late 80's and it was a crazy time to be living on the near North side.

I really do enjoy all of our broadcasters. I'm old enough to remember the Waite Hoyt stories, from my dad and grandfather, though I never heard him do a game. Al Michaels was excellent in his short time with Joe Nuxhall, but Marty and Joe were the voice of baseball in Cincinnati, and all throughout Reds country for years and years. I love those two guys, mostly just for being there all of those years. When I fall asleep, sometimes still, if it's hot, I can still imagine their voices through the transistor radio under my pillow, and my mom yelling at me to turn the radio off because I need to get up for school tomorrow...

You and me have a lot in common. I grew up listening to Waite Hoyt calling the Reds games. Folks here would hate him. His stories sometimes were told in spite of the game. Claude Sullivan wasn't around long, but he wasn't Waite Hoyt and that hurt him with fans. Redszoners wouldn't like him either. I can't remember who came between Claude and Al Michaels, but Michaels was good but he wasn't a homer. Then came Marty and the rest that we love to hate.

My first TV days (and I know I've told this before) were filled with Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick on WLW and the Reds TV network that included WSAZ in Huntington, WV. Redszoners would have hated them too. In fact, who do they love (and I guess that includes me)? Some are passionate about Marty and just as many are not. A lot of folks were big Steve Stewart fans, but just as many were not. George Grande is universally despised. I guess TC was right. All that's left is Jesus and he's pretty busy. Besides, no one would dare criticize Him. would they?

jimbo
04-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Nothing against Thom, but the game's a hell of a lot easier from the booth, I'm sure.

Just as calling a game on live tv is a lot easier from behind a keyboard and monitor on RedsZone.

cincinnati chili
04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
My Wife and I dont always agree on things.

That doesn't mean we dont like each other.

Sometimes I might disagree with something one of the Broadcasters say.

That doesn't mean I hate them. :)

On the other hand, Jesse the Body Ventura and I agree on a lot of things. That doesn't mean I particularly like him.

Just thought I'd share.

Blimpie
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
On the other hand, Jesse the Body Ventura and I agree on a lot of things. That doesn't mean I particularly like him.

Just thought I'd share.and...he ain't got time to bleed...

FlyerFanatic
04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I for one think Thom is going a GREAT job b/c he is telling what really is happening.It sounds like some of you just want a anouncer that won't say nothing bad about the reds team,players,coachs.Not me I want a announcer that tells you the facts on whats happening in the game and if the player is playing good or horible.

Exactly.

jmac
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree completly man,they will always be people on here not liking how our broadcasters call the game.I for one think Thom is going a GREAT job b/c he is telling what really is happening.It sounds like some of you just want a anouncer that won't say nothing bad about the reds team,players,coachs.Not me I want a announcer that tells you the facts on whats happening in the game and if the player is playing good or horible.

I enjoy Thom' calling a game and having two different opinions as him and Chris seem to have most of the time.
It's the bickering they were doing so frequently that made it annoying to me.
Marty and JB disagree but with Chris and Thom, it's like " go to your corners and come out fighting"

remdog
04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
They seemed pretty compatible today.

Rem

Always Red
04-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Rem

I agree, rem. I really enjoyed it , and they're starting to work well together. :thumbup:

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Just as calling a game on live tv is a lot easier from behind a keyboard and monitor on RedsZone.
Agreed.

redsfan1966
04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Thom and Chris will learn to co-exist eventually...they seemed more in tune today...and that does contradict what I thought earlier...and also, Red in Chicago---I am astounded...I thought I was the only living human who didnt stand Vin Scully...

bucksfan
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Rem

That's good news. I was not able to listen or watch today until late. I think, for no real reason other than a hunch, that the 2 could do well together, each playing on a certain level of their current roles but dialed own a bit in the playing up of their differences. I think an increase in familiarity and some general understanding between the 2 could hopefully bring this out. Although I was/am critical of how the early games went with this pair, I can see a bunch of potential too.

Hoosier Red
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Well I was watching the game by myself and couldn't bring this up to anyone so I thought this thread is the best spot.

After Lohse busts one inside on Soriano in the 8th.

THOM:(VERY ANGRY) "So now I've got to ask you here, with this guy at the plate, why would you throw anything inside to him. With the wind blowing in he won't be able to hit a home run going the other way."

ME: (IN MY LIVING ROOM) "Well Thom, this is the 29th hitter he's faced and aside from Theriot, no one seems to be able to hit anything he's thrown. How about we give the guy a bit of a break."

That is my pet peeve so far, Thom's been with the team for all of 12 games, he hasn't earned this level of irritation yet. I think people will take Marty's frustration, but Thom can't be this frustrated yet, it's just not possible.

RichRed
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Well I was watching the game by myself and couldn't bring this up to anyone so I thought this thread is the best spot.

After Lohse busts one inside on Soriano in the 8th.

THOM:(VERY ANGRY) "So now I've got to ask you here, with this guy at the plate, why would you throw anything inside to him. With the wind blowing in he won't be able to hit a home run going the other way."

ME: (IN MY LIVING ROOM) "Well Thom, this is the 29th hitter he's faced and aside from Theriot, no one seems to be able to hit anything he's thrown. How about we give the guy a bit of a break."

That is my pet peeve so far, Thom's been with the team for all of 12 games, he hasn't earned this level of irritation yet. I think people will take Marty's frustration, but Thom can't be this frustrated yet, it's just not possible.

This was the moment that frustrated me too. Maybe the pitch got away from Lohse and he didn't mean to throw it inside? Contrary to what Thom must believe, a pitcher can not place the ball exactly where he wants it 100% of the time.

And this "telling it like it is" business? Thom "tells it like he thinks it should be." Big difference.

Redsland
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
And this "telling it like it is" business? Thom "tells it like he thinks it should be." Big difference.
:clap:

bucksfan
04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
This was the moment that frustrated me too. Maybe the pitch got away from Lohse and he didn't mean to throw it inside? Contrary to what Thom must believe, a pitcher can not place the ball exactly where he wants it 100% of the time.

That captures the situation well in my mind. Many times the "how it is" = "how he thinks it should be", but that will get lost on many people, myself included, if he does not stop with some of the more ridiculous points. Or more importantly, recognize first that he is indeed making some "over-the-top" points as well as the good ones.