PDA

View Full Version : Finish this future looking statement...

edabbs44
04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
To strengthen the Reds rotation for the pennant run, Krivsky will go out and get ______.

I'm saying Carlos Silva. No idea why, but when I saw him pitching tonight I just pictured him getting dealt to Cincy for someone like Lecure.

TC81190
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Brad Radke.

Doro
04-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Unless we can add a big time name I say we should stick with what we already have: Saarloos, Livingston, and further into the season Bailey. We definately need a good reliever than can close games. Ha maybe if the Yankees continue to fall apart phyiscially Rivera will be available at the deadline :)

MaineRed
04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
To strengthen the Reds rotation for the pennant run, Krivsky will go out and get someone that will lead to a server overload at redszone.

Topcat
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Joe Saunders :cool:

Ben
04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
With the Reds out of contention, the Reds have dealt Kyle Lohse to the New York Yankees for Phillip Hughes :mooner:

But seriously, I could see Krivdogg going after someone like Buerhle (sp?) seeing how he will be a F.A. after the year.

Dracodave
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
But seriously, I could see Krivdogg going after someone like Buerhle (sp?) seeing how he will be a F.A. after the year.

Only to be outbid by the Yankees or Mets. Buerhle will want money. Not sure the Reds will be in the ballpark there.

Maybe he pulls a treat and signs Santana for us (That is in two years)..?

NorrisHopper30
04-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I actually could see him getting someone from the White Sox rotation if they fall out of contention, Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, or Garland.

Redmachine2003
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
get rid of Milton and bring up Homer.

AtomicDumpling
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
To strengthen the Reds bullpen for the pennant run, Krivsky will go out and get Washington Nationals closer Chad Cordero.

Cordero is a very good closer on a team that rarely generates a save opportunity. The Nationals would be smart to trade Cordero for a quality prospect. The Reds would be smart to trade a prospect like Joey Votto to get a shutdown closer to anchor their bullpen.

Votto may seem like a lot to give up, but if you aren't willing to spend big bucks in the offseason to bring in a top free agent closer then you have to sacrifice a valuable prospect. Votto is a player the Reds would love to keep, but his upside is not as great as Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce.

If the Reds can get Cordero for a cheaper price than Votto then they should jump all over it.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
To strengthen the Reds rotation for the pennant run, Krivsky will go out and get ______.

I'm saying Carlos Silva. No idea why, but when I saw him pitching tonight I just pictured him getting dealt to Cincy for someone like Lecure.

The same Carlos Silva that caused the brawl between the Reds and the Phillies a few years ago where Lieberthal tackled Dunn as he charged the mound?

I'm sure that'll help chemistry in the clubhouse.

The Reds will be SELLERS in 2007.

JaxRed
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
One of Krivsky's smartest moves during the offseason was NOT overspending (with either salary or prospects) for a big name closer.

I'll assume that is by design, and that Krivsky will continue to not pursue a closer when so many options are in house.

Trading Votto for Cordero would be a really bad idea.

AtomicDumpling
04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
The Reds will be SELLERS in 2007.

I agree it is likely the Reds will be shopping the likes of Weathers, Stanton, Hatteberg, Cormier and Milton come trade deadline time.

Maybe Milton will pitch decently enough that somebody will find him useful enough to pay the last couple months of his contract.

I think the Reds offense is insufficient to enable them to be in contention past the All-Star break.

The new players Reds fans will be watching come August will be named Bailey and Votto. They will replace the players we trade off for prospects this summer.

Although I find the aforementioned scenario likely, don't get me wrong. I am still optimistic for this season. If the Cardinals can win the division with only 83 victories then win the World Series, there is no reason why the Reds can't do it this year too. If the Reds can get a career year from Gonzalez and if Dunn, Encarnacion and Phillips continue to improve (as their age says they will), then the Reds could conceivably win 90+ games. It is possible!

Marge'sMullet
04-12-2007, 11:29 PM
One of Krivsky's smartest moves during the offseason was NOT overspending (with either salary or prospects) for a big name closer.

I'll assume that is by design, and that Krivsky will continue to not pursue a closer when so many options are in house.

Trading Votto for Cordero would be a really bad idea.

Trading Votto, Bruce or Bailey isn't going to happen. They are all really close and for a small market team like the Reds to have those guys for cheap is what keeps you live. i.e. Marlins

cincrazy
04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, I briefly considered Chad Cordero, but that's not going to happen. I don't think there's any scenario where Bowden and Krivsky would work together again to get a deal done. I'd predict the Nationals to win the World Series before I predicted us making a deal with them.

So, to answer the original question, I'm going to say Roger Clemens :D

AtomicDumpling
04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
I think Cordero will definitely be traded to somebody. The Reds could certainly use him. They should make the effort regardless of Jim Bowden's rape of Krivsky last year. Do we have any more of Bowden's "can't-miss, 5-tool prospects" remaining in the organization? Maybe he would trade for them.

jmcclain19
04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I would say Krivsky's deals will probably be someone we haven't thought of or really heard of. The Phillips & Ross transactions didn't really cause a ripple 'round these parts, yet they were two key components for a good chunk of the season. No one saw the Hamilton move or the "trade" coming either.

I'm hoping he unearths a Derrick Turnbow/Bobby Jenks waiver wire type (or perhaps he already did in Jared Burton) real soon to help jettison some of the bullpen flotsam.

chettt
04-13-2007, 09:09 AM
How about Rick Sutcliffe, 1984 style?

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
To strengthen the Reds bullpen for the pennant run, Krivsky will go out and get Washington Nationals closer Chad Cordero.

Cordero is a very good closer on a team that rarely generates a save opportunity. The Nationals would be smart to trade Cordero for a quality prospect. The Reds would be smart to trade a prospect like Joey Votto to get a shutdown closer to anchor their bullpen.

Votto may seem like a lot to give up, but if you aren't willing to spend big bucks in the offseason to bring in a top free agent closer then you have to sacrifice a valuable prospect. Votto is a player the Reds would love to keep, but his upside is not as great as Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce.

If the Reds can get Cordero for a cheaper price than Votto then they should jump all over it.

I love the idea of picking up Cordero but there is no way that Votto would be enough to pick up a fvery good 25 year old established Major League proven closer. It would take Votto another low tier prospect and at the least a Bray for Cordero alone.

Pitching always takes precedence over hitters. Always.

AdamDunn
04-13-2007, 09:40 AM
well... if we're talking bullpen (though the statement says rotation), I'd go John Ducher-something in Oakland or Joel Zumaya. Injury free players, cheap, young... could probably give up a Travis Wood and Sam LeCure. Both have the stuff to be future closers.

If in the rotation, how about Joe Blanton if we can. Beane wanted to trade him over the offseason. Why not?

BuckeyeRedleg
04-13-2007, 09:46 AM
And to think we could have had Cordero in the 2003 draft and we took Wagner.

If I had to guess, I would say the Reds will be sellers at the deadline as well.

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
speaking of starters how about a Randy Wolf or any of the 1-4 on the Dodger's staff. They seriously need a power bat in the worst kind of way and they actually have a surplus of pitching

Brisco
04-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Forget talk about tading Bailey, Bruce or Votto... has eveyone's memory faded so quickly? Kriv wil not trade prospects that he still believes in, instead he will trade proven, but young Major Leaguers that are currently in the doghouse.

In other words, he will trade Edwin, BP & Coutlangus to the Marlins for Scott Olsen, Jorge Julio and Aaron Boone.... and Olsen will have some mysterious injury requiring him to spend his entire time with the Reds building up arm strength.