Derrek Lee 1B
Micheal Barrett C
Cliff Floyd LF
Ronny Cedeno 2B
Ceasar Izturis SS
Ted Lilly P

cincy09
04-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I wish they would let Hamilton play against a lefty......

Might as well find out if he can handle it.

goodwilly98
04-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I wish they would let Hamilton play against a lefty......

Might as well find out if he can handle it.

Yeah this is getting ridiculous. The team Narron puts out there can't score as it is. He talks about how he can't sit Hamilton since he's swining so well, and what doess he do, sits him for 2 straight games when he's the only guy out there with any patience at the plate and hitting the ball hard every time up.

So frustrating!!!!!!

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Phillips in the two spot? Normally I don't ***** much about batting order, but that's just stupid.

Yeah, Hamilton needs to be in the lineup.

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I think Dunn could handle first for a day and let Hamilton get some swings in vs lefties.

Dunner44
04-15-2007, 11:44 AM
At least Ross finally got a hit yesterday.

cincy09
04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I think Dunn could handle first for a day and let Hamilton get some swings in vs lefties.

The day this team moves Dunn to first base is the day this team takes a major step in the right direction!

D. Lee has shown a couple of times in this series that a tall first baseman can save a lot of bad throws. Dunn may not like it, but it would have a great impact on this club offensively and defensively.

Dunner44
04-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Even though he cost the Reds 5 unearned runs in the 7th, who is swinging a better bat against Lefties on the club than Conine? And you want to replace him with Dunn, who (ADMITTEDLY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE) has hit .182/.217/.182 against lefties this season? Yes, Dunn hit lefties much better last season, but I wonder if Jacoby's changes will affect this?

Compare that to Conine who is hitting .357/.400/.714 off lefties. Who would you start at 1B? Give Freel, Griff, Dunn or BP the day off if you want to see Hamilton in the lineup, not Conine.

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Somehow, someway, Hamilton needs to be in the lineup....EVERY lineup almost daily.

You don't know what you have unless you get him 400 at bats or so...and right now, he's hitting better than just about anybody else on the team.

bcats12
04-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Narron doing what he does best. Very frustrating seeing the same lineup that just got shut down by a left handed starter.

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
It's nap time for me. It's been a long past couple of days at PNC park. I got to leave early today...so, it's nap time until the game comes on! See you guys then!

Tom Servo
04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting to produce a different result.

Joseph
04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Great line up, I mean we scored so many runs with this one yesterday!

What?

We didn't?

Oh. Never mind.

remdog
04-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting to produce a different result.

One of the most false cliches ever spouted. :p:

Rem

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Great line up, I mean we scored so many runs with this one yesterday!

What?

We didn't?

Oh. Never mind.

See there is the beauty in it, the cubs won't be expecting it :cool:

cincy09
04-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Cubs lineup:

Same lineup for the Cubs, as well

Alfonso Soriano CF
Ryan Theriot 3B
Jacque Jones RF
Derrek Lee 1B
Micheal Barrett C
Cliff Floyd LF
Ronny Cedeno 2B
Ceasar Izturis SS
Ted Lilly P

jmac
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
The day this team moves Dunn to first base is the day this team takes a major step in the right direction!
I would say "another" step. I count the handling of Milton and Jr to RF as steps also.I dont think Dunn would do it though.

cincy09
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
More from C. Trent :

Jerry Narron said Alex Gonzalez could be back as soon as tomorrow. His son, Juan, will need surgery at some point, but he didn't have much more of an update than that.

Junior's ben surrounded by reporters today, which is appropriate, since he's responsible for much of the fanfare. He joked that he was hoping "the Cub faithful won't recognize me." My response was "good luck with that." He's got six of the No. 42 jerseys. None of htem have his name. In 97 when he wore 42, it had his name on the back. These don't. He's going to wear all six during the game, changing in the dugout like Superman or something. One will be auctioned off on MLB.com, another will be auctioned off at his charity golf tournament and one will be framed and he'll hang it up next to his No. 42 jersey from 97.

kbrake
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I dont really have the problem with the lineup. Hamilton not in there is not the problem. Until Edwin and Ross start to do something of use agaisnt lefties it wont matter if Hamilton is in there or where does is out in the field.

penantboundreds
04-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Someone tell Phillips he isn't Jose Canseco so stop swinging for the fences.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Not having Hamilton in the line-up is horrible. He should start in center, Freel at 2nd, and Phillips at SS. If we can figure this out, why can't "a baseball guy" named Jerry Narron???

George Foster
04-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I love the FSN guys in ties, and jackets. Very professional looking! I dig it:thumbup:

Patrick Bateman
The lineup wasn't the problem yesterday, lack of hitting was.

You can mix that lineup up anyway you want, we weren't going to win that game.

Some days you get beat. You can't go back to the drawing board each time.

mth123

D. Lee has shown a couple of times in this series that a tall first baseman can save a lot of bad throws. Dunn may not like it, but it would have a great impact on this club offensively and defensively.

Lee is a great fielder. Dunn? Not so much. I don't like the idea of every grounder on the IF depending on the worst defender on the team to complete the out. Guys who can't run anymore are fine at 1B, but guys who can't catch? Leave 'em in LF.

If you must move an OF to 1B the best option is Griffey. We know he can catch, but he just can't run.

Or play Freel at 3B and Move EE to 1B against a lefty.

On the other hand, as vocal as I was speaking out against the Conine acquisition, he's been one of the better hitters so far. I can't blame Narron for leaving him in there against a LH pitcher.

A-Dub
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
So when are we going to fire Narron and hire a real manager?

DTCromer
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM

We've already tried moving Adam to 1st base and he's shown that:
A) He just doesn't feel comfortable playing 1st
or
B) He's just lazy and doesn't want to learn.

It would be nice to move him there but we can't just move him there if hasn't really prepared to be moved there.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
So when are we going to fire Narron and hire a real manager?

After another losing season.

Cincy Red o5
04-15-2007, 01:37 PM
LET'S GO REDS:clap: LET'S GO REDS :clap: LET'S GO REDS:clap:

PuffyPig
04-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Not having Hamilton in the line-up is horrible. He should start in center, Freel at 2nd, and Phillips at SS. If we can figure this out, why can't "a baseball guy" named Jerry Narron???

One possible reason would be that the "baseball guy" actually is right.

Freel at 2nd and Phillips at SS represents quite a downgrade at defense. And starts playing guys at postions they aren't entirely comfortable with.

Not saying I agree with him.

But it isn't out to lunch, and is probably the way most managers would go.

DTCromer
04-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Freel at 2nd and Phillips at SS represents quite a downgrade at defense. And starts playing guys at postions they aren't entirely comfortable with.

I agree. Why let everyone switch positions? Let's put Conine in left, Dunn at first, and Jr. play 3rd while we're at it. We're much better defensively where we're at right now.

Offensively. . . . . :bang:

Spring~Fields
04-15-2007, 01:45 PM

The assumption that Hamilton won’t do well against left hander’s or go through a positive learning process and grow from it is frustrating to me. Especially since he has defied traditional norms and been successful to date. He very well could be just fine against them or at minimum gain valuable experience.

DTCromer
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I would never wish injury upon anyone, but sometimes I wish Freel or Griff would suffer a minor 15 day injury just so Josh would get a chance to play everyday.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
The assumption that Hamilton won’t do well against left hander’s or go through a positive learning process and grow from it is frustrating to me. Especially since he has defied traditional norms and been successful to date. He very well could be just fine against them or at minimum gain valuable experience.

Wow, well said.

I to am all for letting us find out what he can't do after gets some experience.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM

With Phillips playing his entire minor league career at SS, and Freels speed, the downgrade in defense in minimal. Right now we need to score runs.

With our lack of offense the entire season, Hamilton needs to be in the line-up everyday.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I would never wish injury upon anyone, but sometimes I wish Freel or Griff would suffer a minor 15 day injury just so Josh would get a chance to play everyday.

:eek:

Careful what you wish for. You know its only a mater of time before one of them goes down.

Here's hoping somehow no one gets injured this season! :beerme:

PuffyPig
04-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow, well said.

I to am all for letting us find out what he can't do after gets some experience.

There's also alot to be said for bringing Hamilton along a little slowing, putting him in better situations where he might succeed.

Remember, he hasn't played above A ball before this season, and while he looks good, it certainly wouldn't surprise many people to see him struggle against guys like Hill and Lilly. After all, the rest of the Reds did.

Having him fail may actually do some damage.

Narron has been using Hamilton in situations where he thinks he has a better chance to thrive. So far he has been right.

Hamilton will get lots of AB's.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I almost slept through this game. Good thing I woke up

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
There's also alot to be said for bringing Hamilton along a little slowing, putting him in better situations where he might succeed.

Remember, he hasn't played above A ball before this season, and while he looks good, it certainly wouldn't surprise many people to see him struggle against guys like Hill and Lilly. After all, the rest of the Reds did.

Having him fail may actually do some damage.

Narron has been using Hamilton in situations where he thinks he has a better chance to thrive. So far he has been right.

Hamilton will get lots of AB's.

Agreed. Its the same thing with me when it comes to Homer Bailey. But its lucky the Reds are more patient than me. You have to provide a positive atmosphere for development and it has to be at the players own pace.

Yep. Hamilton will get his ABs, make no mistake.

Redhook
04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm actually bummed out Hamilton isn't in the lineup. I was going to Tivo the game and watch it later. Now, I'll probably just listen to bits and pieces on the radio while I'm out.

PuffyPig
With Phillips playing his entire minor league career at SS, and Freels speed, the downgrade in defense in minimal. Right now we need to score runs.

I disagree.

Phillips was tried at SS last season. It was felt that he was a better secondbaseman, so the Reds went and got a new SS.

Freel is a real bad secondbaseman. Phillips is a real good secondbaseman. The downgrade is substantial.

It's great to improve your scoring ability. But don't bite off your nose to spite your face.

If Gonzalez was going to miss many games, Narron might approach it differently. Phillips and Freel would have more time to get used to new postions. But for a short term situation, most managers would simply replace the SS and get on with it.

Degenerate39
The Reds are 1-5 against left handed starters.

mth123
The hard fact is that teams are going to load-up on LH to offset Dunn, Griffey, Hatte, even Javy and Hamilton.

EE and Ross should be feasting on LH pitching and if they don't something may need to be done to change-up the mix. I don't think its realistic for guys like Freel and Phillips to carry that load (and why Phillips hits higher than 7th I'll never understand). Maybe Deno could have helped, but he's not the power threat that is needed (although he has more power than many acknowledge).

Votto and Bruce are LH as well and this problem goes beyond 2007. Its the reason that many were calling for a younger, more upside, longer term partner for Hatte at 1B (like Josh Phelps who could have been had for cheap).

jmac
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM

JH's good ST included hitting the lefties well. To get a rh bat in there everyonce in a while is fine but there is no need setting him 3 days in a row, including probably tomorrow.

Reds Freak
04-15-2007, 02:01 PM
The Narron bashing is making these game threads really hard to read. Some of it is down right ridiculous. The manager really doesn't make that big of a difference. If EE or Ross would look like they have a clue at the plate then Narron would look a little smarter. It's all about the players. The players just didn't get it done yesterday.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
listening to the radio.... They were talking about 1990..

Man. Sweet Lou, Rijo, Davis, etc etc

Todd Benziger. lol

jmac
04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Maybe Deno could have helped, but he's not the power threat that is needed
There was a young guy setting on the bosox bench the other night......let's see ,what was his name? Said he was having trouble getting AB's but I dont think he's very good defensively !

A-Dub
04-15-2007, 02:05 PM
It is Narron's fault when he doesn't play the best players possible to win.

Reds Freak
04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
It is Narron's fault when he doesn't play the best players possible to win.

Yea I really wish he would get Chad Moeller and Enrique Cruz in there today...

mth123
04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
There was a young guy setting on the bosox bench the other night......let's see ,what was his name? Said he was having trouble getting AB's but I dont think he's very good defensively !

Yeah, but a trade had to be made. Dunn looked like he was going to historically bad at 1B and drag the rest of the IF with him. A starter was needed and opening LF for Dunn by trading Pena for Arroyo was the right move (but it worked out better than I hoped it would).

Pena is in the AL where he belongs. Unfortunately he's on a team with two similarly awful defenders in Ortiz and Manny (who also aren't allowed to play 1B). Seeing how those are two of the top hitters of this generation, Pena won't get any DH time unless a lot of injuries happen.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
What time is the game going to start?

A-Dub
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Yea I really wish he would get Chad Moeller and Enrique Cruz in there today...

Obviously this is sarcasm, but it's a bad attempt because those guys aren't the best players like I said.

Reds Fanatic
04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
What time is the game going to start?2:20

jmac
04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but a trade had to be made. Dunn looked like he was going to historically bad at 1B and drag the rest of the IF with him. A starter was needed and opening LF for Dunn by trading Pena for Arroyo was the right move (but it worked out better than I hoped it would).

Pena is in the AL where he belongs. Unfortunately he's on a team with two similarly awful defenders in Ortiz and Manny (who also aren't allowed to play 1B). Seeing how those are two of the top hitters of this generation, Pena won't get any DH time unless a lot of injuries happen.
Yeah, it's pretty bad when you need to be DH and you cant be cause others on team need to be one too.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Play Ball!!!

Reds Freak
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Obviously this is sarcasm, but it's a bad attempt because those guys aren't the best players like I said.

My point is he doesn't have a lot to work with right now especially with Gonzalez being away and EE and Ross looking like little leaguerers.

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Lohse is making his first ever appearance at the place to be, Wrigley Field.

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Adam Dunn out...Hamilton in! Weird...

Matt700wlw
Late scratch - Dunn sits, Hamilton plays left and bats third

Red in Chicago
dunn out with back spasms so hamilton in

BCubb2003
You got your Josh Hamilton. Dunn is out with back spasms.

Jr's Boy
Dunn back spasm's.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 02:25 PM
oooooh Hamilton in for Dunn :) were we just talking about Hamilton getting his ABs?

Degenerate39
Freel strikes out

A-Dub
Freel looked great up there.

Red in Chicago
04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
lets hope "cy" lilly isn't showing up again:angry:

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
These game threads crack me up. Every play results in 10 people posting the same exact thing. Haha. One person should step up before each game and volunteer to do play by play to limit the repeat posts. The rest of us could then participate in other discussion and comments.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:27 PM
strikeout Freel..........he doesen't attempt to bunt more why? Or fake a bunt to get the infield moving?

A-Dub
04-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Willy Mays Hayes flys out to center.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 02:28 PM
BP flys out to center

AccordinglyReds
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Hamilton up to bat!

Degenerate39
Hamilton flys out to left

AccordinglyReds
Hamilton flies out to LF.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
that was half of a swing by Hamilton,off the end of the bat, and it went to normal depth to left field....pretty strong wrists.

cincy09
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
These game threads crack me up. Every play results in 10 people posting the same exact thing. Haha. One person should step up before each game and volunteer to do play by play to limit the repeat posts. The rest of us could then participate in other discussion and comments.

Agree, this is entirely too hard to follow!

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
The Cubs horrible pitching staff has shutout the Reds offense for 14 consecutive innings.

geniusMoment
Reds have now scored in one inning out of the last 19. Wonderful

Degenerate39
Soriano flys out to Jr.

BCubb2003
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Agree, this is entirely too hard to follow!

It's just like, just like, the echo, echo, of the PA system, em, em.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Theriot singles to right

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Does anybody know what Robinson died of? He was young, like 52 or 53.

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Shocker...Reds pitcher gives up a hit on 0-2.

RedFanAlways1966
Lohse with two 0-2 pitches down the middle of the plate to Theriot. Not smart or just not good control.

mth123

Bigger shocker ... it was Kyle Lohse

Kc61
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM

This is Lohse's problem. Makes unnecessary bad pitches -- in spots where he has the advantage. It beat him last time, and here we go again.

Degenerate39
Jones flys out to Jr.

George Foster
Reds have now scored in one inning out of the last 19. Wonderful

Pitching normally gets better thoughtout the league as the season progresses.....:cry:

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Did the wind hold that one or did Jones just miss it?

Rotater Cuff
that was half of a swing by Hamilton,off the end of the bat, and it went to normal depth to left field....pretty strong wrists.

That's what I like about what this guy has done for Reds optimism. Even when he flys out or walks, someone talks about something positive.
Compare that with Kearns' or Dunns at bats most years.

Degenerate39
Does anybody know what Robinson died of? He was young, like 52 or 53.

Heart problems

George Foster
Did the wind hold that one or did Jones just miss it?

Wind blowing in from right according to the crafty lefthander.

Degenerate39
Full count to Lee

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Lee walks

A-Dub
Ballgame. :)

Grounds_Crew
Walks....will....Haunt

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Heart problems

Back in the early 70's there was no such thing as by-pass, or stints, MRI's, etc.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2007, 02:38 PM
0-2 on barrett

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Walks....will....Haunt

Maybe not to Lee with a 10 game hitting streak..lets hope.

NorrisHopper30
barrett stike out, lohse out of the inning

Degenerate39
Barrett strikes out

RedFanAlways1966
Walks....will....Haunt

I don't like 'em, but I am willing to give one to D. Lee. Better then a bases clearing double (like yesterday). Lee is dangerous.. esp. when he has a 3-ball count.

geniusMoment
And away we go, another inning for the offense.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Brew Crew score two on Looper in the first only to see Sheets surrender a three run homer to Pujols in the bottom.

Albert Pujols is the greatest player to ever play the game of professional baseball. It's not even close.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Back in the early 70's there was no such thing as by-pass, or stints, MRI's, etc.

Robinson died from heart problems and diabetes complications in Stamford, Connecticut on October 24, 1972 and was interred in the Cypress Hills Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. The highway that goes through the cemetery (previously known as the Interborough Parkway) was renamed the Jackie Robinson Parkway in 1997.

From wikipedia

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Junior gets a homer today? True of false Redszone...

George Foster
Is Dunn just getting a rest, and they gave the excuse of back spasms, or is it real? Where is 700wlw?

RedFanAlways1966
Albert Pujols is the greatest player to ever play the game of professional baseball. It's not even close.

Can he pitch like Babe Ruth could? ;)

Red in Chicago
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
local radio about 10 seconds ahead of directv channel, which is about 20 seconds ahead of internet radio:laugh: the game that keeps on giving

OnBaseMachine
Brew Crew score two on Looper in the first only to see Sheets surrender a three run homer to Pujols in the bottom.

Good Lord. What a ridiculous statement.

Unreal. Jeez.

Please take this crap to the Cardinals board.

George Foster

Not to right field with the wind...

Degenerate39
Conine flys out to left

Ludwig Reds Fan

True!!!

PuffyPig
Pitching normally gets better thoughtout the league as the season progresses.....:cry:

Actually, the hitters usually heats up as the weather does.

Run scoring is down throughout the NL this year.

Falls City Beer

Unreal. Jeez.

Unfortunately for Reds' fans, all too real.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Turns out J. Footstool and Puffy were right: Lilly should have been an offseason target.

Good call by those two.

RedFanAlways1966
Way to go, Junior. Lookin' good in that #42 jersey. :)

Grounds_Crew
A hit to right will due just fine for now Junior!!! We'll get that homer next at bat!

OnBaseMachine
Unfortunately for Reds' fans, all too real.

You sure do keep this board laughing.

WVRedsFan
Griffey just trotted to first on that single. Bench him...:)

PuffyPig
04-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Unreal. Jeez.

Cut him some slack.

You can't blame a fan who gushes about players on his favorite team.

After all, Pujols now has 2 HR's on the season.

geniusMoment
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM

False, as that would cause the Reds to score a run.

mth123
Turns out J. Footstool and Puffy were right: Lilly should have been an offseason target.

Good call by those two.

When the weather warms up and he isn't facing a team that is so glaringly awful against lefties, the opposing view may still prove correct.

Matt700wlw
Encarnacion looks absolutely clueless so far this season...

penantboundreds
04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
It seems like the Cubbies have gotten every call in this series. Does any one else think the Cubs pitchers corners are bigger than the Reds?

George Foster
With Lilly pitching, and a runner on first, full count...EE has to be swinging.

OnBaseMachine
Cut him some slack.

You can't blame a fan who gushes about players on his favorite team.

After all, Pujols now has 2 HR's on the season.

So true.

Anyway, I thought Chris Duncan was easily the greatest player in baseball history?:confused:

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
It seems like the Cubbies have gotten every call in this series. Does any one else think the Cubs pitchers corners are bigger than the Reds?

And the REDS knees are near their ankles... at least it was on the 1st strike call to Edwin.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
When the weather warms up and he isn't facing a team that is so glaringly awful against lefties, the opposing view may still prove correct.

Eh. Doubt it.

Wrigley's a good pitcher's park, and the only offense capable of mashing him in the Central is the Cards'.

geniusMoment
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Reds have now scored in one inning in the last 20. Wonderful

OnBaseMachine
Eh. Doubt it.

Wrigley's a good pitcher's park, and the only offense capable of mashing him in the Central is the Cards'.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are hilarious.

WVRedsFan
Edwin is simply uncomfortable at the plate. He looks stiff.

Also, Reds players are taking a lot of obvious strikes. The one Castro took was a pretty good pitch to hit. Of course Castro, as he grounds out, is simply not a hitter, something an team crying for offense needs to have in its lineup. Why did they bother to call that kid up anyway?

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
The Cardinals have scored the least amount of runs in the NL.

reds44
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Right now the 2 hitter, and 6-9 are automatic outs.

Good luck scoring runs like that.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM

The Reds' pitching is in the top ten in the NL.

The early season holds many mirages.

PuffyPig
04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Eh. Doubt it.

Surely you've noticed the Cards lineup vs. LH pitching?

It includes Tanguchi, Miles, Molina, Eckstein, Wilson.

They'll have trouble mashing potatoes.

OnBaseMachine

Falls City Beer
Right now the 2 hitter, and 6-9 are automatic outs.

Good luck scoring runs like that.

Having Dunn out of the lineup really, really hurts.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Surely you've noticed the Cards lineup vs. LH pitching?

It includes Tanguchi, Miles, Molina, Eckstein, Wilson.

They'll have trouble mashing potatoes.

Nice omission of Pujols and Rolen.

George Foster
04-15-2007, 02:54 PM

I'm a lot more worried about the scoring than pitching. EE, Ross, have to have good seasons for us to have a chance.

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Back spasms do too...

geniusMoment
04-15-2007, 02:55 PM
The good news, Kyle Loshe gets through another inning. The bad news, Ross now gets to bat!

mth123
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Agree. That's why I think its too early to reach any conclusions about Ted Lilly.

The weather makes it even more hazardous to reach conclusions from early season performance.

NorrisHopper30
Great inning for Lohse.

Falls City Beer
I'm a lot more worried about the scoring than pitching. EE, Ross, have to have good seasons for us to have a chance.

EE will. And I'm more than willing to give Ross a longer chance with the bat. (then again, what are the other options?)

reds44
04-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Hamilton and Dunn are the only guys really hitting right now. Having either them out hurts.

Edwin will start hitting, I'm not worried about that. Juan Castro just sucks, so there is nothing you can do about that.

I worry about Phillips and Ross there.

Falls City Beer
Agree. That's why I think its too early to reach any conclusions about Ted Lilly.

The weather makes it even more hazardous to reach conclusions from early season performance.

I'm not just basing my assessment of Lilly on his performances against the Reds.

I'm basing it more on the fact that there aren't a ton of (no?) quality lefties in the NL Central and the Arroyo "league-switch-effect."

Heath
Dave Ross swinging like a guy hitting .095.

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Brantley made a point about Lilly a little bit ago...April is his best month...after that, his ERA begins to climb.

NorrisHopper30
Ted Lilly does a lot better in the first few months than he does in the whole year, he'll end up with a 4.3ish era at least.

PuffyPig
Nice omission of Pujols and Rolen.

You'll note the use of the word "includes".

It means the list is not meant to be all-inclusive.

geniusMoment
04-15-2007, 03:00 PM
He gone! Grab some bench.

OnBaseMachine
Ross swung at ball 4.

Falls City Beer
Ted Lilly does a lot better in the first few months than he does in the whole year, he'll end up with a 4.3ish era at least.

Same thing happened to Arroyo. Really, it happens to a bunch of AL pitchers. It's really tough not having the automatic out in the 9th spot over a whole season.

reds44
04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Ross is just completely lost. At least Edwin walks sometimes and Phillips' bat runs into one every once in awhile.

Ross? Nothing.

VR
Ross pulling off everything. Keep your head in there son.

OnBaseMachine
Ump giving Lilly a huge strikezone.

Falls City Beer
You'll note the use of the word "includes".

It means the list is not meant to be all-inclusive.

Do you need more than Pujols and Rolen to mash a lefty?

I don't think so.

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 03:02 PM
WOW....what a pitch....errr throw!

Matt700wlw
Nice pitch

:lol:

NorrisHopper30
What happened there..?

reds44
What an eye by Freel not to swing at that.

OnBaseMachine
I'm surprised he didn't call that a strike.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
maybe somebody will volunteer to go camp on a scoreboard or something until the Reds score a run?

OnBaseMachine

I don't think so.

reds44
Freel strikes out WAY, WAY, WAY too much to be hitting leadoff.

We need to trade for a leadoff man.

Red in Chicago
04-15-2007, 03:04 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reds Fanatic
This ump's strikezone is ridiculous. 3 strike calls on Freel that all looked to be outside the strike zone.

geniusMoment
Reds have now scored in one inning out of the last 21. Wonderful

Reds Freak
It might be time to start my Reds offensive incompetence drinking game again...

Matt700wlw

How about Hamilton....he'll actually take pitches, draw walks, and early results show he'll get on base consistantly.

reds44
04-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Reds have now scored in one inning out of the last 21. Wonderful
That's some amazingly bad offense right there.

mth123
Hamilton and Dunn are the only guys really hitting right now. Having either them out hurts.

Edwin will start hitting, I'm not worried about that. Juan Castro just sucks, so there is nothing you can do about that.

I worry about Phillips and Ross there.

This is where I question Narron. Ross was fairly selective last year and appears to be expanding his zone. I think hitting in front of the pitcher really hurts him. Its especially true while he is in a slump and seemingly overanxious.

Phillips has no plate discipline anyway and really has no business that high in the order.

Based on last year at least, Ross and his 500+ slugging percentage are much more deserving of a higher line-up spot than Phillips and it might just do the trick for him.

redsgabp
the reds bats are DEAD!

freel has got to be replaced by hamilton.

BP is off to a slow start

and who stole david ross?

the reds pitching has been good but you can win without any runs

Heath

Good call by those two.

As much as I respect the Puffster's and Footstool's opinion, having a career 4+ ERA flyball pitcher in GABP has been tried once already in this town.

PuffyPig
I'm not just basing my assessment of Lilly on his performances against the Reds.

I'm basing it more on the fact that there aren't a ton of (no?) quality lefties in the NL Central and the Arroyo "league-switch-effect."

That's funny.

Three non-quality LH starters in the Central (Rodriquez, Gorzellany and Malholm) have all piched well against those Mashers from St Louis.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2007, 03:06 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just looked it up, it's true. Tied at 28 with San Fransico. The Nationals have 31 and we have 42.

WVRedsFan

Pssst. Don't tell the Redszone. He's their all in all regardless of the warts.

Falls City Beer
It's one thing to get upset about not hitting a guy like Zach Duke or that Gonzalez kid in Arizona--I can at least understand that; it's entirely another to get your panties in a wad about facing Lilly and Hill in a pitcher's park with the wind blowing in.

Relax. The offense will come around.

Rotater Cuff
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
How about Hamilton....he'll actually take pitches, draw walks, and early results show he'll get on base consistantly.

Unfortunately, Hamilton can't bat in all 8 spots. He's the Designated savior.

Heath
the reds bats are DEAD!

freel has got to be replaced by hamilton.

BP is off to a slow start

and who stole david ross?

the reds pitching has been good but you can win without any runs

Ross is back to career norms.

Some people in April just don't hit. It happens. It's also only April.

NorrisHopper30
2 Ks for lohse in this inning Lilly and Soriano.

ncman31
04-15-2007, 03:08 PM
sit down alfonzo

Red in Chicago
04-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I just looked it up, it's true. Tied at 28 with San Fransico. The Nationals have 31 and we have 42.

i wasn't questionning the statement...i was laughing because he's said it like three times and i find it amuzing ;)

geniusMoment
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
The good news, another good inning for Loshe. The bad news, our offense now has to bat!

Reds Freak
04-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Freel calls a fair catch and hauls it in...

Matt700wlw
Dear Reds,

Score runs.

Thank you.

Red in Chicago
reds have one run in 10 innings off of lilly this year...impressive

VR
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
what Matt said.

reds44
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
This team can't play small ball, they can't string hits together, and they aren't hitting homers.

reds44
04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Phillips needs to steal 2nd.

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Phillips walks!

The Natural awaits.

PuffyPig
04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

I don't think so.

Last year the Cards mashed LH piching to the tune of a .713 OPS. It looks like Pujols and Rolen do need some help.

And both Rolen and Pujols hit LH pitching worse than RH pitching. The Cards hit RH pitchers at a .784 clip.

BTW, the Reds last year hir LH pitchers better than RH pitchers. .820 vs. .749

reds44
Now just get him to 3rd.

Matt700wlw
Steal!

edabbs44
reds have one run in 10 innings off of lilly this year...impressive

Ironic that the Lilly signing got so much abuse during the off-season.

Heath
I wonder how good Wily Mo would have been if he was afforded the same opportunity as Hamilton.

Speaking of Roy Hobbs - nice to go 3-2 after being 0-2

Matt700wlw
04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Josh K's looking...

OnBaseMachine
Last year the Cards mashed LH piching to the tune of a .713 OPS. It looks like Pujols and Rolen do need some help.

And both Rolen and Pujols hit LH pitching worse than RH pitching. The Cards hit RH pitchers at a .784 clip.

I wish I could give you rep right now.

Hamilton K's looking on ball 4. Still, great atbat to work from 0-2 to 3-2.

WVRedsFan
designated savior K's.

Heath
nice ab by Hamilton - no way he would have hit that pitch....and it was low.

VR
I can't believe how cool Josh's plate approach looks like against a tough lefty.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
That's it, send Hamilton down! He's worthless! He doesn't take enough pitches!!!

:)

Degenerate39
What's Lilly's pitch count?

VR
Lou just walked out to say "listen, your not going to get these bs calls from the ump all day, start throwing real strikes"

Kc61

How was that a "great" at bat?

Reds Fanatic
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
What's Lilly's pitch count?63

Heath
Someone with better eyes help me, is Lilly balking?

reds44

He needs to get on base for it to be a great AB.

He did a good job working the count, but it wasn't a great AB.

OnBaseMachine
I'm not sure what today's trivia question is but the answer is The Cardinals have scored the least amount of runs in the NL.

WVRedsFan
04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Hamilton, though I'm impressed with him, is in the "can do no wrong" category right now. That's how

Degenerate39
Mariono Rivera for the Yankees is the answer. Not sure how to spell the first name

Heath

The first two pitches made Hamilton look bad. Instead of wailing at it, he used plate discipline to make Lilly work.

If the ump had called Ball 4, it would have been MUCH better.

OnBaseMachine

He worked the count from 0-2 to 3-2 as I previously stated.

mth123
04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Someone with better eyes help me, is Lilly balking?

He looks lke it to me. He hesitates after lifting his leg, but if its his "normal" motion, they won't call a balk.

OnBaseMachine
Conine RBI single!

Matt700wlw
Hey! A run!!

reds44
Young body!

A RUN!!!

Degenerate39
Phillips scores on a Conine single :)

NorrisHopper30
1-0 reds, Conine singles while Phillips was running.

Reds Fanatic
Finally. Reds score as Conine drives in a run. 1-0 Reds

WVRedsFan
What's that? A run? Nice to see you stranger!

Red in Chicago
conine has been a good pickup so far!!!

Falls City Beer

Well, there you go. You've solidified my initial point: the Lilly signing was a smart one because not even the Cards mash lefties.

I knew I was right. :)

Kc61
04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
He needs to get on base for it to be a great AB.

He did a good job working the count, but it wasn't a great AB.

Or move the runner to third on a ground ball.

Hamilton hits righties with authorities. So far, that is limited to righties. The guy is a great story, but he's never played above A ball. Sometimes he does things that aren't great.

Conine just got a hit with a man on second. For a team that isn't scoring runs. I'd consider that a pretty good at bat.

VR
Brandon Phillips gets big points that inning, made Lilly work very hard.

I like the idea of Griff coming up big right here.

Thanks again for the request Matt, keep doing it.

RedFanAlways1966
Nice job, Conine. And nice job of BP to draw a walk and wreak havoc on the paths.

Eric_Davis
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM

He moved the runner across by stretching out the pitch count, and thus, the runner scored in a scoreless game.

NorrisHopper30
I'm calling Edwin home run.

Falls City Beer
Okay, which one of the Village People would Conine be?

Cyclone792
If we can get some basestealers on second base with Lilly in the game, then third base should be a quick gift. Phillips could have stolen third easily on any one of those pitches to Conine, and he was nearly standing on third base by the time Conine's bat met the ball on that single.

reds44
Or move the runner to third on a ground ball.

Hamilton hits righties with authorities. So far, that is limited to righties. The guy is a great story, but he's never played above A ball. Sometimes he does things that aren't great.

Conine just got a hit with a man on second. For a team that isn't scoring runs. I'd consider that a pretty good at bat.
Yep, agreed.

The entire post is solid.

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Okay, which one of the Village People would Conine be?

Cowboy

WVRedsFan
Edwin is cluless

Heath
He looks lke it to me. He hesitates after lifting his leg, but if its his "normal" motion, they won't call a balk.

It's a hitch alright, and it's not a hitch forward to the plate.

I'm not sure if he's set as well.

He's herky-jerky that's for sure. He leans over to the first base side and then delivers his pitch.

NorrisHopper30
Conine with a steal!!!

VR

KC, the result obviously wasn't great.....but if he has that approach all year....good results will follow.

OnBaseMachine
Conine steals 2nd.

Degenerate39
Conine with a steal DAMN

FlyerFanatic
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
edwin going off

Matt700wlw
Encarnacion is pissed....the called that strike 3

OnBaseMachine
Wow, Reds get robbed again.

Grounds_Crew
Uh oh boys and girls...more ESPN time for EE.

reds44
Well, Edwin's had better weeks.

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Give this ump crap. He deserves it.

Matt700wlw
that's a load of crap

Heath
EdE can't catch a break at all.

None.

If this was last year EdE would be sent to the hole.

Narron is exercising patience with #12. I'm impressed with Jerry on that one.

Degenerate39
Why do all the umps hate us?

edabbs44
Lilly is making the Reds look stupid so far in '07.

Heath
So, what was the final call?

WVRedsFan
04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Love these umpires. Wow. It was obvious it hit him -- he immedeately started shaking his hand.

Reds Freak
04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
How can you call that? There's no way he could determine where that hit. It wasn't even close to the strike zone, you can't give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt there...