PDA

View Full Version : Dunn scratched from Sunday lineup

Jpup
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
back spasms per WGN.

redsgabp
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
back spasms per WGN.

lol we all make fun of griffey and freel for being like glass.

i hope dunn is ok.

Ron Madden
04-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Adam Dunn is far from fragile.

Hope he will be OK.

redsgabp
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Adam Dunn is far from fragile.

Hope he will be OK.

i didn't mean he was like glass, i meant that you would of bet the bank that griffey or freel would of missed a game first from some sort of issue like this.

i hope dunn is ok. he normally kills the cubs at wrigley.

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
back spasms per WGN.

WGN? Why aren't you watching FSN Ohio with Thom & Chris?:eek:

RollyInRaleigh
04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I remember how Joe Morgan would go down with some nagging injury every time the Reds faced John Candelaria. I wonder if Ted Lilly is going to become Dunn's Candelaria?:laugh:

In all seriousness, I hope he is allright,

Marc D
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM
It didn't end up materring at all but I was wondering why you don't put Hamilton in CF and Freel in LF once this happened? By all accounts Hamilton is our #1 defensive OF, why not put the best players in the best position to maximize what you have?

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I had some massive back spasms last year. Lasted about three days but I didn't do anything to stop it.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Back injuries are the worst. I had problems with back spasms a lot when I played soccer in highschool from a bad slidetackle and it stuck with me for the year. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

jimbo
04-15-2007, 06:37 PM
It didn't end up materring at all but I was wondering why you don't put Hamilton in CF and Freel in LF once this happened? By all accounts Hamilton is our #1 defensive OF, why not put the best players in the best position to maximize what you have?

Because of all of the outfield positions, Freel has the least experience in left and Hamilton played all three in ST.

Grounds_Crew
04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, think about it like this...

....apparently it takes a LOT to keep Dunner out of the lineup.

2004: 161 games played
2005: 160 games played
2006: 160 games played

So, hopefully it's nothing serious. You guys know as well as I do how much the Reds like to list players "day to day"...but they end up being out for a while.

I don't mean to make a big deal out of it...just pointing out the obvious. It's probably nothing serious!

redsfaninbsg
04-15-2007, 07:41 PM
I fractured 3 vertabrates my senior year of high school football, ended up leading to back spasms as well. One of the most painful experiences of my life.

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I remember how Joe Morgan would go down with some nagging injury every time the Reds faced John Candelaria. I wonder if Ted Lilly is going to become Dunn's Candelaria?:laugh:

And J.R. Richard. Little Joe always said the Astrodome air-conditioning was the problem.

LINEDRIVER
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
J.R. Richard was just flatout scary. Threw 98mph and was just wild enough to keep you afraid of being beaned and becoming a vegetable.

Rose Bench and Perez would tease Morgan when he would become too hurt or too ill to face the tough lefty Jon Matlack of the NY Mets.

SandyD
04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I was living in Tucson in the 80s ... went to see the Toros when J R Richard tried to make a comeback. It was very sad to see.

It was a day game ... very hot ... and the ball park was packed. My memory is probably somewhat dim, but I'm not sure he had the reflexes to get out of the way of a linedrive back to the mound.

I wouldn't worry much about Dunn. You hear about players missing a game or so often enough.

TeamBoone
04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
04/15/2007

Notes: Dunn out with back spasms
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- You won't see Reds left fielder Adam Dunn as an injury scratch very often.
"First time, ever," Dunn noted. "It's embarrassing."

Moments before the Reds began Sunday's game vs. the Cubs, Dunn came down with back spasms in the dugout and was unable to play.

"I grabbed the rail to go out on the field, and I don't know how to describe it. Two knives went into my back," Dunn said. "I tried to stand up straight and I couldn't get good deep breaths. I went and sat back down. I couldn't lay on my stomach or my back when I got back in here. It was bad. I've never felt anything like that. It's a bad feeling having to come out too."

Manager Jerry Narron improvised quickly and inserted Josh Hamilton in Dunn's place and batted him third.

"As a matter of fact, I was writing Hamilton's name in the lineup when I was taking the lineup card to home plate," Narron said. "He would have possibly been available to pinch-hit. We'll see how it is [Monday]."

Dunn already had a good idea about his playing status.

"I will be in there tomorrow, for sure," said Dunn, who is batting .326 (14-for-43) with four home runs and eight RBIs in 11 games this season.

Missing games for any reason has been a rarity for Dunn. The 27-year-old has played in at least 160 games the previous three seasons. In 2003, he played in just 116 games because of a torn ligament in his thumb suffered on Aug. 15 that kept him out the rest of the season.

However, Dunn still finished that game and hit a game-winning walk-off home run that beat the Astros.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070415&content_id=1900213&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

remdog
04-16-2007, 12:21 AM
The first time I ever had back spasms was when I bent over to feed remdog his dinner. I completely crumpled and it took me about 20 minutes to get off of the kitchen floor. It was a week before I was able to move without pain. It struck without warning and it was agonizing.

Rem

Jpup
04-16-2007, 12:55 AM
WGN? Why aren't you watching FSN Ohio with Thom & Chris?:eek:

I don't get FSN Ohio. :( I am one of those fans that has to go out of my way to watch the Reds. It's an adventure sometimes. :laugh:

BigJohn
04-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Anyone hear Tracy Jones after the game. He says that it was Narron that made up the back spasms and it is part of a ploy to get hammy in the lineup against a righty. He is way too concerned with lefy right crap!

Chip R
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Anyone hear Tracy Jones after the game. He says that it was Narron that made up the back spasms and it is part of a ploy to get hammy in the lineup against a righty. He is way too concerned with lefy right crap!

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/museum/salt.jpg

BigJohn
04-16-2007, 08:47 AM
What does a big salt crystal have to do with anything?

membengal
04-16-2007, 08:48 AM
About the same thing as Tracy Jones' uninformed muck-raking opinion on anything...

Chip R
04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
What does a big salt crystal have to do with anything?

Take whatever Tracy says with a gigantic grain of salt.

BigJohn
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
So you guys that have never played in the bigs know more than a guy like Tracy, RIGHT!!!

George Anderson
04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
So you guys that have never played in the bigs know more than a guy like Tracy, RIGHT!!!

Is this Rod from Norwood on Juniors computer??:D

westofyou
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Tracy Jones is to baseball talk what Americana Amusement Park is to Kings Island.

Some folks like Americana, others not so much.

Chip R
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Stephen Hawking never played in the big leagues and he knows more than Tracy.

TeamBoone
04-16-2007, 02:41 PM

What Tracy said has nothing to do with the game of baseball. He told an outright lie (per the usual)... or do you think Dunn is the liar? (did you read the article; it's mostly direct Dunn quotes)

:angry:

Chip R
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
What Tracy said has nothing to do with the game of baseball. He told an outright lie (per the usual)... or do you think Dunn is the liar? (did you read the article; it's mostly direct Dunn quotes)

:angry:

Easy, Tiger. Don't feed the trolls.

VR
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Silly question, but I'll ask.

If Narron made up the back spasms as part of a ploy to get hammy in the lineup against a righty......does it matter that Lilly was the starter (a lefty) and Dunn and hammy are both lefties?. Doesn't that kind of mow down the grassy knoll theory?
:confused:

TeamBoone
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Easy, Tiger. Don't feed the trolls.

You're right, Chip. But crap like that makes me so angry. If he'd read the article, Adam Dunn laid it all out. If it was a lie, it was a very convincing one.

Narron doesn't have to lie anyway (nor does Dunn). He's the boss and can play whomever he wants.

Red Leader
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Trent's blog says that Adam is on the field taking BP today.

I'm assuming that means he's fine and will play today.

Just FYI.