PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Reds protest the game last night.......

Carin4Narron
04-17-2007, 11:21 AM
after the bad infield fly ruling or can you protest a thing like that? Just curious.

OesterPoster
04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Judgment call by an umpire isn't something you can protest.

PROTESTING GAMES.
Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.
Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.

George Anderson
04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Anyone have a link for a video of the infield fly call?

Carin4Narron
04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks for the info.

Always Red
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Anyone have a link for a video of the infield fly call?

I saw replays of it last night- the 2nd base ump clearly called the infield fly rule (incorrectly) while the ball was in the air (ie- before the 2nd baseman mistimed his leap).

Terrible call, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about it at this point.

George Anderson
04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I saw replays of it last night- the 2nd base ump clearly called the infield fly rule (incorrectly) while the ball was in the air (ie- before the 2nd baseman mistimed his leap).

Terrible call, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about it at this point.

It sounds like a bad call. An infield fly should only be called if the fielder can catch the ball with ordinary effort.

Between this and not calling EE getting hit on the hands the other day in Chicago, makes me wonder whats up with the umps this year.

TeamBoone
04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Isn't every call a "judgement call" by the umpire?

I've never seen a play reversed because of a protest. Never. So, IMHO, it would be futile.

George Anderson
04-17-2007, 11:41 AM

An umpire can screw up a rule interpretation, the George Brett pine tar incident I am pretty sure was protested.

TeamBoone
04-17-2007, 11:42 AM
An umpire can screw up a rule interpretation, the George Brett pine tar incident I am pretty sure was protested.

That wasn't my point at all.

I know they can screw up a call; they do it all the time.

But you saw the rule posted earlier in the thread... a judgement call can not be protested. Again, isn't every call a judgement call?

George Anderson
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
That wasn't my point at all.

I know they can screw up a call; they do it all the time.

But you saw the rule posted earlier in the thread... a judgement call can not be protested. Again, isn't every call a judgement call?

Lets say for example a team bats out of order, the umpire then makes a wrong ruling and allows a batter to bat who should not of been allowed to bat because the team batted out of order. This is not a judgement call but instead its screwing up a rule interpretation which ultimately could be protested.

registerthis
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I've never seen a play reversed because of a protest. Never. So, IMHO, it would be futile.

I believe some incorrect home run calls have been...

dabvu2498
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Tommy Lasorda got a play reversed that wasn't a judgement call in a game vs. the Reds several years ago.

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it had to do with a baserunner being hit by a batted ball and being called out. However, because he was hit behind the fielder, he should not have been called out.

The ump blew the call, Tommy was right and the call was changed. But in arguing the call, Tommy got ejected. Fun times.

Carin4Narron
04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
What's exactly the protest rule stating what you can and what you can protest?

Always Red
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM

pretty much so.

I'm surprised it wasn't overruled by one of the other umpires. But I think what happens is this- as soon as the infield fly is called, the defensive part of the play is essentially over. So, once it's called (rightly or wrongly) it's irrevocable. The defender, at least in theory, stopped defending when he saw the infield fly signaled by the 2nd base ump. In other words, I don't think it was overturnable, like a home run call might be, if another ump had a better angle.

BuckWoody
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
pretty much so.

I'm surprised it wasn't overruled by one of the other umpires. But I think what happens is this- as soon as the infield fly is called, the defensive part of the play is essentially over. So, once it's called (rightly or wrongly) it's irrevocable. The defender, at least in theory, stopped defending when he saw the infield fly signaled by the 2nd base ump. In other words, I don't think it was overturnable, like a home run call might be, if another ump had a better angle.
I think that's the deal right there. It was the baseball equivalent to football's "inadvertent whistle" on a fumble.