PDA

View Full Version : Griffey striking out less, walking more

muethibp
04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I think Jr. is still hurt which explains why he isn't really hitting the ball hard. But his OBP is pretty high because of all the walks. What is interesting is how the numbers suggest he has also changed his aggressiveness at the plate. Last year he had a walk every 10 AB's (39 walks in 428 AB's). This year he walks nearly once in every 4 AB's (9 in 42 AB's). And look at the drop in strikeouts. Last year he struck out about once every 5.5 AB's (78 out of 428). This year he has only struck out 3 times in 42 AB's.

Is this a small sample size issue that will correct? Is he not getting pitches to hit, correctly not chasing them, and taking the walks given? Is this a guy that's hurt and won't swing the bat? Or is this reflective of a guy who believes he can't drive the ball, has stopped trying and is now simply trying to get on base?

redsfan30
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
There's really no need to give him anything good to hit as long as Edwin Encarnacion is struggling as badly as he is. He doesn't have any protection in the lineup, thus pitchers are not going to give him anything good to hit.

osuceltic
04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
There's really no need to give him anything good to hit as long as Edwin Encarnacion is struggling as badly as he is. He doesn't have any protection in the lineup, thus pitchers are not going to give him anything good to hit.

I'd be begging him to swing the bat if I were pitching right now.

LincolnparkRed
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
He has a 22/10 gb to fb ratio so that seems to tell me that when he swings he is going for the big fly. This ratio if it held up would be the lowest in his career.

Far East
04-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't have the numbers, but it also seems that Dunn is getting a higher proportion of singles and doubles relative to last year's "all or nothing" --- big fly or K -- season.

Redsland
04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
He's second in the league in homeruns and fourth in the league in strikeouts.

dougdirt
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Griffey has a similar Line Drive percentage as he has in the past, 15.4%. His groundball% is much lower tha usual at 28.2%. Previous years it has been 37, 34 and 42%.

redsfan30
04-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd be begging him to swing the bat if I were pitching right now.

Why? Why give him something to hit when hitters behind him are struggling so badly?

KronoRed
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
He's second in the league in homeruns and fourth in the league in strikeouts.

and tied for 1st in grounding into double plays :evil:

BRM
04-17-2007, 12:58 PM
and tied for 1st in grounding into double plays :evil:

The bum doesn't have a sac fly yet this year either. ;)

osuceltic
04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Why? Why give him something to hit when hitters behind him are struggling so badly?

Because he's not hitting anything hard. The last thing you want to do when a guy is struggling like this is to walk him.

Razor Shines
04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I think Jr. is still hurt which explains why he isn't really hitting the ball hard. But his OBP is pretty high because of all the walks. What is interesting is how the numbers suggest he has also changed his aggressiveness at the plate. Last year he had a walk every 10 AB's (39 walks in 428 AB's). This year he walks nearly once in every 4 AB's (9 in 42 AB's). And look at the drop in strikeouts. Last year he struck out about once every 5.5 AB's (78 out of 428). This year he has only struck out 3 times in 42 AB's.

Is this a small sample size issue that will correct? Is he not getting pitches to hit, correctly not chasing them, and taking the walks given? Is this a guy that's hurt and won't swing the bat? Or is this reflective of a guy who believes he can't drive the ball, has stopped trying and is now simply trying to get on base?

While no one can really know, I'd say it's more that his wrist is still a little weak. As for getting on base, I think last year was a fluke in that matter and he is returning to career norms in terms of patience at the plate. He's not going to lead the league in walks or anything, but the guy has a .374 lifetime OBP. IMO Griffey is going to have an excellent season once his wrist returns to full strength.

durl
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I believe it could be a combination of the weak wrist and simply that in some ways, he's still in Spring Training mode. He's several weeks behind other players in terms of at-bats. We know that he's taking extra batting practice (as usual). Still, it seems to me that there's no substitute for actual live pitching.

dougdirt
04-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Because he's not hitting anything hard. The last thing you want to do when a guy is struggling like this is to walk him.

Thats simply not true. He is hitting line drives at the same rate he has the past 3 seasons. He has about 5 warning track outs... you dont hit the ball that far without hitting it hard.

Spring~Fields
04-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Would having Hamilton hit behind Griffey help him get a better offering of pitches, and if he does get the pitches does he still have the bat speed to turn on balls like he did in his prime?

PuffyPig
04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
If Griffey is walking and making contact, he will eventually start hitting..

I've liked his approach this spring better than in other years.

I think he is close.