PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing Honesty

runfreelrun
04-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I just have to say that I really enjoy the honesty in broadcasting from Brennaman and Brantley. Nothing against Grand and Welsh but I find it enjoyable that these guys say what all of us (well some of us) have been thinking for years. They called out Griffey today and Brantley wouldnt let it die, but he was right. They called out Valentine for swinging at 2 bad pitches after Aquino had thrown ten straight balls. While watching the game with my father today, I remarked that these guys must not have seen much Reds baseball the last couple of years, because they are amazed at things that have been going on for years, and Brennaman remarking "I am going to get off my high horse, as I was all over them in Arizona", as he was speaking about the Reds swinging at bad pitches in a hitters count. Brantley then remarked "I dont think the Reds have a take sign". Not that I like to see the Reds make mistakes or play bad ball, just like the announcers being honest and observant.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I like all four of our announcers,they all really tell it like it is. Brennaman and Brantley really tell the truth and I love it.Thats the main reason I like Marty b/c he tells the facts and thats what I want to hear when watching or listening to a game.:beerme:

TeamBoone
04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I like all four of our announcers,they all really tell it like it is. Brennaman and Brantley really tell the truth and I love it.Thats the main reason I like Marty b/c he tells the facts and thats what I want to hear when watching or listening to a game.:beerme:

Marty often confuses fact with fiction (opinion).

WVPacman
04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Marty often confuses fact with fiction (opinion).

love him or hate him he always tells it like it is.
;)

TeamBoone
04-18-2007, 12:08 AM
love him or hate him he always tells it like it is.
;)

No. He doesn't. But you can always count on him to tell it like he THINKS it is.

flyer85
04-18-2007, 12:12 AM
They called out Valentine for swinging at 2 bad pitches after Aquino had thrown ten straight balls.the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?

gonelong
04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
No. He doesn't. But you can always count on him to tell it like he THINKS it is.

Quoted for truth. (It is hard for me to cut on a guy that speaks his mind.)

I have to admit that I have enjoyed the duo of Thom and Brantley these last few games. I also REALLY enjoyed having Joe back in the booth.

GL

/Yes I am complimenting Reds announcers. That is all.

TOBTTReds
04-18-2007, 12:35 AM
the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?

I'm with you.

On topic of the main post, Thom beats things to death. But thankfully he knows that and didn't mention plate patience tonight.

Brantley is only refreshing for me basically because he can recognize pitches, especially changeups. I swear no non-player can recognize a change up and it drives me crazy when they sit there and talk about the slider when it is not.

WVPacman
04-18-2007, 12:40 AM
I agree with you flyer on the first strike,he did'nt have to swing but any batter would have.Dad and I laughed are butts off when they both said that he should not have swung then he slamed the ball for a three run double.lol

jimbo
04-18-2007, 12:51 AM

Isn't that part of his job?

Doro
04-18-2007, 01:27 AM
agreed.... Welsh and Grande are homers

thatcoolguy_22
04-18-2007, 01:43 AM

aren't we all though... :beerme:

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Amen TB

membengal
04-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Props to Thom B. for showing some self-awareness. His acknowledgement that he DID beat it to death in Arizona gives me hope. That line most of us see, where he can impart a criticism without leaving the point lifeless and strewn all over our tv sets, was found last night. He and Brantly had a solid broadcast...

Natty Redlocks
04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
When Thom gets too critical he comes across as Marty's little mini-me. I'm guessing someone told him to ease up.

jpurdy
04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd jost like to thank Fox Sports Ohio for letting us watch games this year and not have to listen to Grande ramble on the whole time. Thom and Jeff have made watching the games fun again.

RedsFan75
04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
It was also refreshing when Brantley would openly criticize the ump's strike zone... IE Hamilton's strikeout looking at the low pitch, Brantley called it a 'horrible call'... :)

My wife stated "now that sounded like a professional broadcast"

In reference to Valentin's double, I loved how Brantley said afterward, well it many not have been smart baseball but it worked. Had me rolling...

hebroncougar
04-18-2007, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't say homers, I'd say afraid to call out anyone on anything.

lollipopcurve
04-18-2007, 09:14 AM
the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?

Totally agree. That 2-0 pitch was a pitch Valentin will often crush. I was glad he took a rip at it -- he didn't miss it by much. The next pitch was just a good slider -- give the pitcher credit.

So far, I'm not a big fan of Brennaman Junior. The righteous indignation when he perceives Reds players to being playing poorly is going to get old fast, at least for me. If he's going to announce that way, put a powdered wig on him and give him a gavel to smash. I really can't stand guys who never played sitting in judgment of the best players on the planet -- so long as those players are giving it an honest effort.

Redhook
04-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game. Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. Take until the pitcher throws a strike. Luckily, it paid off a couple of pitchers later, but so many of these Reds really don't know how to play the game. This time it worked, but so many times it hasn't.

BuckU
04-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Thom has annoyed me so far. He called out Javy then jumped right on his bandwagon when he drove the runs in.

I think it's about Thom making himself fimiliar with the players. Javy is not going to take borderline pitches. It's not his style. The Reds don't have many patient hitters and he just needs to adjust to it.

minus5
04-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Dad and I laughed are butts off when they both said that he should not have swung then he slamed the ball for a three run double.lol

Yeah but they were they first ones to say something about it too. As soon as it happened Brantley said something along the line that 'it may not have looked like a professional at bat but he sure made it work for him'. I've enjoyed the heck out of Thom & Jeff so far.

flyer85
04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game. Game was no longer tied

westofyou
04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
My biggest Thom gripe is the constant use of the phrase.."I'm getting the feeling."

What an empty phrase, one that holds no water other then ..In my opinion" Thom uses that line too much, too often and somewhat cloaked in a aura of undefined "authority" It becomes a hammer during an at bat and he relentlsly often pounds on the point.

With that said here's as interview with a D Backs fan (and blogger) about Thom's time in the SW.

http://baseballchurch.blogspot.com/

1. Did you like having Thom as a broadcaster?

Overall, I'd say yes, all though it really depended on who was doing the color commentary that night.

2. What did you like best about him? What did he do well?

He was easy to listen to and had a very distinctive voice and was an overall classy guy. He always seemed like he was having fun while calling the game, and seemed like he enjoyed his job immensely.

3. What did you not like about him? What grated on your nerves?

Thom wasn't very savvy when it came to the game at times. He'd often ramble on about "first pitch hacking" or relatively meaningless stats like average with runners in scoring position. He'd often attack rookie players for making mistakes, when veteran players were playing poorly. He had very little knowledge when it came to the more "modern" statistics, such as on base percentage. It was the little things like that that a lot of fans hated. He'd often go wildly off topic and not even call the game depending on who he was paired with (especially Mark Grace.)

4. What do you think of his home run calls?

Not very memorable.

5. Did you ever get the impression that he was arrogant? Can you give examples?

Yes. His rants about first pitch hacking, and rookie mistakes.

6. What were some of the irritating things he would say over and over again?

First pitch hacking

7. Did you ever scream shut up at your television?

Most fans would just turn the volume down and turn the radio. But yes, I have. Mostly when he'd veer completely off topic,and go on and on for an inning with out talking about what's going on in the field.

8. Do you think Thom's national broadcasts are different than his local broadcasts?

Yes, he tends to stay more focused on the game, and he tends to not go off on tangents as much.

9. Are you glad to get rid of him?

Yes and No. Thom has been the only constant with this team since the beginning. He was there for all the memorable games in Dbacks history - the 2001 title, Johnson's 20k game, and Johnson's perfect game. Those games are etched in the minds off all Diamondbacks fans. However, with the new direction the team has taken, it was appropriate that Thom left when he did. Unfortunately, a few fans have taken his leaving negatively, and feel that there's some sort of "conspiracy" by the front office that forced him to leave. These are the same fans who hate the new colors and who don't have any clue how good these young guys are.

BuckU
04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
My biggest Thom gripe is the constant use of the phrase.."I'm getting the feeling."

What an empty phrase, one that holds no water other then ..In my opinion" Thom uses that line too much, too often and somewhat cloaked in a aura of undefined "authority" It becomes a hammer during an at bat and he relentlsly often pounds on the point.

With that said here's as interview with a D Backs fan (and blogger) about Thom's time in the SW.

http://baseballchurch.blogspot.com/

This D-backs fan has pretty much nailed it. Thom is even worse when paired with Brantley.

I don't understand his obsession with swinging on the first pitch. In some situations it's not wise (i.e - lead off batter of the game, 1 pitch outs made prior to your at bat), but a lot of times the best pitch you see in an at bat is the first one you see.

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, that is spot on by that Diamondbacks fan.

Homer Bailey
04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I think the more casual fan likes the team of Grande/Welsh, while an intense fan like myself enjoys Thom and JB a lot more. I'm a guy who screams at the TV after an error, but runs around in circles when the Reds hit a homer. I like an announcer who is critical of a player that makes a mistake, PARTICULARLY a mistake that can be easily corrected. Notice how they don't criticize someone for popping up a 2-2 pitch? They criticize for mistakes like Griffey not hustling from 2nd base to score on a base hit. Yes, Griffey has had a great career, but if he's not going to hustle then he's teaching some of our players horrible habits. For instance, Phillips "strut" after the ball he hit off the wall in center. Where'd he learn that? Griffey.

Yes these players are the most talented in the world, and some say we have to right to criticize them. But notice the criticism isn't necessarily about talent, but bout mental mistakes. Lack of patience at the plate, lack of hustle. I hate hearing GG and CW act like it's a sunny day in the park when we're down 6-1 because I'm pretty ticked off in that situation.

bucksfan2
04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
This D-backs fan has pretty much nailed it. Thom is even worse when paired with Brantley.

I don't understand his obsession with swinging on the first pitch. In some situations it's not wise (i.e - lead off batter of the game, 1 pitch outs made prior to your at bat), but a lot of times the best pitch you see in an at bat is the first one you see.

I actually think as a fan you will learn more from thom. He is a little arrogant and likes to drive home the point a little too much, but he is vey knowledgable.

I do agree with him on the first pitch hacking obsession. Too many times the reds are undiciplined and give pitchers easy innings. Freel swinging at the first pitch monday after milton struggled through a high pitch inning is bad baseball. Last night when Valentine swinging at an 2-0 pitch when the pitcher had thrown 6 straight balls was poor. EE too often chases bad pitches early in the count to fall behind. Unless your Jr. or Dunn I dont want to see a red hacking at a bad first pitch to fall into hole. Especially in the first innings of a game I want the reds batters to see as many pitches as possible. If that means giving Freel the take sign on his first at bat then so be it.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Notice how they don't criticize someone for popping up a 2-2 pitch?

True, but they also pick their spots.

Example, Valentin, Griffey and Dunn all K'd looking at the same pitch, inside and tailing in on the hands, Javier got a pass from Brantley, he went on about how hard that pitch is to hit, and the action moving in is/was unexpected.

Griffey and Dunn do the same thing after Hamilton and Freel get on and they go hard on them about what a great opportunity they just missed (no doubt it was) and how Dunn had K'd before and Griffey didn't score from 2nd and how amazing it was that they failed and Hamilton succeeded.

Which is all fine and dandy... except the whole time "I'M thinking (maybe not others) why not allow Dunn and Griffey the same excuse that Valentin received? That and give a little credit to Shouse who did HIS job.

VR
04-18-2007, 12:18 PM
True, but they also pick their spots.

Example, Valentin, Griffey and Dunn all K'd looking at the same pitch, inside and tailing in on the hands, Javier got a pass from Brantley, he went on about how hard that pitch is to hit, and the action moving in is/was unexpected.

Griffey and Dunn do the same thing after Hamilton and Freel get on and they go hard on them about what a great opportunity they just missed (no doubt it was) and how Dunn had K'd before and Griffey didn't score from 2nd and how amazing it was that they failed and Hamilton succeeded.

Which is all fine and dandy... except the whole time "I'M thinking (maybe not others) why not allow Dunn and Griffey the same excuse that Valentin received? That and give a little credit to Shouse who did HIS job.

I'm disgusted that DISH doens't have EI this year, but I have had the opportunity to listen to Brantley/ Marty. There is no doubt that Brantley has elevated Marty's overall professionalism. I completely agree about the 'honesty'....which Marty has always had, it's just not as cynical and snide this year. I think Marty respects Brantley's baseball knowledge, and is more on his game than he has been for the last few years.

For the love of all that is holy, however....Marty needs to do PBP only, (and when he's doing pbp, do pbp, not random dialogue in the 7th inning of a great ballgame) and Brantley needs to do color only.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm disgusted that DISH doens't have EI this year, but I have had the opportunity to listen to Brantley/ Marty. There is no doubt that Brantley has elevated Marty's overall professionalism. I completely agree about the 'honesty'....which Marty has always had, it's just not as cynical and snide this year. I think Marty respects Brantley's baseball knowledge, and is more on his game than he has been for the last few years.

For the love of all that is holy, however....Marty needs to do PBP only, (and when he's doing pbp, do pbp, not random dialog in the 7th inning of a great ballgame) and Brantley needs to do color only.

I've only radioed up once this year and Brantley's PBP is lower scale when measured against his peers, good color though, however he like Grande has a word he overuses (it's escaping me now, but Grande's is "Brilliant")

Chip R
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Props to Thom B. for showing some self-awareness. His acknowledgement that he DID beat it to death in Arizona gives me hope. That line most of us see, where he can impart a criticism without leaving the point lifeless and strewn all over our tv sets, was found last night. He and Brantly had a solid broadcast...

He said that?! I'm impressed.

Redsland
04-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Because the pitcher just threw 10 straight balls with the bases loaded of a tie game. Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do.
Yeah…I'm going to…disagree….
[/lumberg]

A guy who has thrown 10 straight balls is going to try to throw a get-it-over fastball at some point. If a batter thinks he's looking at that pitch right now, you better believe I want him swinging at it.

Now, I certainly understand that some people advocate taking until you have a strike, but that strikes me as awfully passive if it means watching a crushable pitch go by just because.

Redsland
04-18-2007, 01:22 PM
He said that?! I'm impressed.
He did.

BuckU
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I've only radioed up once this year and Brantley's PBP is lower scale when measured against his peers, good color though, however he like Grande has a word he overuses (it's escaping me now, but Grande's is "Brilliant")

JB's overused phrase has been "My Goodness!!". But not just a regular "My Goodness!!". A country boy "My goodness!!". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And using "fixin" as an adjetive for "going to". But Thom already called him out on that one.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
JB's overused phrase has been "My Goodness!!". But not just a regular "My Goodness!!". A country boy "My goodness!!". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And using "fixin" as an adjetive for "going to". But Thom already called him out on that one.

No, I'm thinking of a descriptive word that is equal to "Brilliant" something like "Superb" or "Premier"

It's not a big deal, I just keep hearing that same word and it really stands out.

But as a somewhat "new" announcer (at least day to day without production meetings and a teleprompter.) he'll likely listen to tapes of himself and note what phrases he overuses or maybe understates.

Redsland
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Jeff also says "we" a lot when referring to the Reds, which Marty calls him out on, since Marty himself used to make that same mistake until a player corrected him, way back when.

bucksfan2
04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah…I'm going to…disagree….
[/lumberg]

A guy who has thrown 10 straight balls is going to try to throw a get-it-over fastball at some point. If a batter thinks he's looking at that pitch right now, you better believe I want him swinging at it.

Now, I certainly understand that some people advocate taking until you have a strike, but that strikes me as awfully passive if it means watching a crushable pitch go by just because.

You green light Dunn and Jr not Valentine. Even if he does throw a get over fast ball the hitter still has an advantage considering the pitcher is having control problems, the count is 2-1, and bases are loaded.

jimbo
04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
It's all about philosophy. That's what makes baseball so great. Neither decision (either having him swinging away or taking) is the wrong call, it just depends on your philosophy.

Redsland
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
You green light Dunn and Jr not Valentine.
The poster I was responding to would disagree with you. He said:

Swinging at a 2-0 pitch after two straight walks, with the bases loaded, is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Isn't that what we do here?

BRM
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM

No. We always have all the facts. :cool:

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
No. We always have all the facts. :cool:

That's right. I forgot :)

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Nobody tunes into us to hear the game ;)

RollyInRaleigh
04-18-2007, 06:03 PM

The complaints from the game threads beg to differ.;)

Ltlabner
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Perhaps some folks tune in to hear the game AND an interesting personality? Otherwise for strict play by play with zero opinions there's Grande & Welsh.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but did anyone hear Brantley's comment on Greg Acquino after he walked Gonzalez with the bases loaded? He said something along the lines of "it's hard to throw strikes when your left arm is wrapped around your neck" and then proceeded to make choking sounds. It was absolutely hilarious.

scounts22
04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but did anyone hear Brantley's comment on Greg Acquino after he walked Gonzalez with the bases loaded? He said something along the lines of "it's hard to throw strikes when your left arm is wrapped around your neck" and then proceeded to make choking sounds. It was absolutely hilarious.

I heard him and couldn't believe he did that! He doesn't really hold much back; it seems like he says whatever pops into his head. It was pretty funny though!

James B.
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Fixin means going to where I'm from.

Jim Schue
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM

:jump:

I noticed that one too. The more I listen to Brantley and Thom together, the more I like them. I've got nothing against Welsh and Grande — except that they sound like high school announcers compared to Brantley and Thom.

WVPacman
04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
When Thom gets too critical he comes across as Marty's little mini-me. I'm guessing someone told him to ease up.

Guys I may be wrong but Im thinking that some of you don't want a announcer to put down a reds player even when he is stinking up the place?? These ballplayers are pros that makes millions of dollors and deserves the critical talk torwards them when they are stinking up the place.Thats what announcers are for!! to tell the truth and tell the facts yes sometimes harsh BUT thats what the announcers are being paid for.Telling the truth!!!!

Keep up the great work Marty,Joe,Thom,Jeff,George,and Chris!!!

:beerme:

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree with most of what was said here.

I enjoy the Jeff and Thom broadcasts much more than George and Chris's.

G Rated George and Chris are ok...maybe for school kids? But from strictly an entertainment factor, Jeff and Thom blow them out of the water.

gonelong
04-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Thats one of my favorite lines on the golf course.

It's hard to putt with both hands around you neck!

GL