C. Lee LF
L. Scott RF
J. Lane CF
A. Everett SS
B. Ausmus C
C. Sampson P

Hoosier Red
04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Well everyone wanted consistency in the lineup ;)

goodwilly98
04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Consistency, Yes, but not having EE in there for 2 days in a row is a different story.

Edd Roush
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Would it be feasible to have Freel play at second 1-2 games a week, third 1-2games a week and then in the oufield for another? It seems like Freel is more of an asset to this offense than Phillips and lately EdE. Thoughts?

Grounds_Crew
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Would it be feasible to have Freel play at second 1-2 games a week, third 1-2games a week and then in the oufield for another? It seems like Freel is more of an asset to this offense than Phillips and lately EdE. Thoughts?

I like that idea of rotating days off across the board for guys like Griffey, Phillips and possibly even Hamilton. That will also allow Freel to play on a consistent level.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey I like EE, but isn't this the sort of line that got Rose installed at 3rd?

.186/.300/.209 EE

.219/.306/.313 - John Vuckovich on the day Rose replaced him.

Jharb74
04-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I do like the line up. Maybe get Ross out of there and get Javy in though.

Heath
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey I like EE, but isn't this the sort of line that got Rose installed at 3rd?

.186/.300/.209 EE

.219/.306/.313 - John Vuckovich on the day Rose replaced him.

True, but where's the rest of the machine?

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I do like the line up. Maybe get Ross out of there and get Javy in though.

When Javy catches, pitcher struggle.

Sure, he can hit better (so far), but.....

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I'll do the PBP tonight

EddieMilner
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM

i think that Freel should play a game at 3rd, 2nd, and all three outfield positions a week. Giving everyone a day off a week is good, and it means we will only lose our real lead off man once a week, maybe twice.

TC81190
04-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Seriously, only one person is allowed to do PBP now? That is ridiculous.

keeganbrick
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Anyone know if this game is on FSN Ohio tonight, or is the Cavs game on again?

membengal
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Seriously, only one person is allowed to do PBP now? That is ridiculous.

It's not they are allowed to, it's that a ton of people desperately request it to be so. It is FAR easier to follow along, the commentary from all included, when just one person is tossing out the particulars on the PBP.

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
If Freel is the new 3rd baseman then send EE to AAA so he can play, kind of a waste to have him on the bench waiting for Freel to cool off.

coachw513
04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I'll do the PBP tonight

No homework tonite?? :evil:

Just jokin' ;) ..you are fired up, lining up 3 hours early to do PBP...stand firm, don't let some vet roll in at gametime and try to punk you out of getting to do it :duel:

See men, this is what I call devotion...I can see it now, digging up stats, bio info and lots of stories to use during the game :D

BRM
04-18-2007, 04:35 PM
If Freel is the new 3rd baseman then send EE to AAA so he can play, kind of a waste to have him on the bench waiting for Freel to cool off.

Nah, just send him to Washington for Jon Rauch.

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Nah, just send him to Washington for Jon Rauch.

Deal.

kaldaniels
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
It's not they are allowed to, it's that a ton of people desperately request it to be so. It is FAR easier to follow along, the commentary from all included, when just one person is tossing out the particulars on the PBP.

I've never had a problem with multiple PBP....it doesn't put too much of a burden on one particular person. I don't think the game thread problems have resulted from too many PBP...just the general nonsense that goes on. I was unware that it was "official" that only one person does the pbp...if it is, we are opening up a bag of worms, i.e. "your pbp is terrible, I'm better....".

Joseph
04-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I've never had a problem with multiple PBP....it doesn't put too much of a burden on one particular person. I don't think the game thread problems have resulted from too many PBP...just the general nonsense that goes on. I was unware that it was "official" that only one person does the pbp...if it is, we are opening up a bag of worms, i.e. "your pbp is terrible, I'm better....".

I may need to re-read the situation, but I believe it to be more of a 'If you see someone already doing it, don't add to it" sort of rule. At least it's that more so than a punitive offense sort of rule.

VR
04-18-2007, 04:50 PM

It's more than OK to comment on every play and every pitch.

It's 7 consecutive posts of 'strike 2 to Freel' or "popout to EE" that clog things up.

kaldaniels
04-18-2007, 04:53 PM

It's 7 consecutive posts of 'strike 2 to Freel' or "popout to EE" that clog things up.

Absolutely reasonable.

PuffyPig
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I have no problem with playing the hot hands and (tempoarily) benching the slumping EE.

EE will get plenty of chances to produce. If he does, it will force Narron to get him in the lineup. Much like Hamilton has forced him.

Look at the past, when (unexpected) hitting from Valentin, Ross, Guillen etc. has forced the Reds to make more room for these players.

For the sake of defense, Phillips needs to play second pretty much fulltime. And his bat is starting to heat up.

TheBigLebowski
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't like benching EE two days in a row. Play the guy. Let him work his way out of the slump.

fisch11
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I like that idea of rotating days off across the board for guys like Griffey, Phillips and possibly even Hamilton. That will also allow Freel to play on a consistent level.

I agree. That's the only way Hamilton is going to get playing time, while at the same time not taking away too many at bats from Jr, Dunn, EE, Freel etc.

I like Freel's unselfishness to give up time for Hambone. Obviously this is all a good problem to have.

Wheelhouse
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM

I totally agree. Not only has EE looked bad, but he's looked immature.

PuffyPig
04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't like benching EE two days in a row. Play the guy. Let him work his way out of the slump.

I don't like it either, but I also don't like benching either Freel, Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton or Phillips (which could let EE play).

I expect EE will play tomorrow.

Kc61
04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Agree that it is tough to sit EE, but who sits when Freel plays? Phillips -- big drop off defensively up the middle. Oufielders -- need all three against righties. Hatteberg -- only works if Dunn plays first base, which doesn't seem to happen.

Freel is a streaky player. He has slumps and hot streaks. I think Narron senses a hot streak and, given EE's slump, views him as the logical choice to sit for awhile. In the long run, though, finding PT for Freel against righties will be a tough situation to manage.

Joseph
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I totally agree. Not only has EE looked bad, but he's looked immature.

I don't think thats what was said at all.

I also don't agree with that at all. I don't think he's looked anything near immature this season, and on Monday night he had a big hit [loss or not] and looked better at the plate only to be rewarded with pine time.

fisch11
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I would almost bank on it that Hamilton in the lineup the next two games as well, against righties Woody Williams and Brett Myers.

Now to guess on who gets the day off and where.....I won't bank on that.
Possibly Phillips gets a day off, EE sits, or Jr. or Dunn get a break.

HotCorner
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I wonder if EE's hand is not 100% after being hit my the pitch a couple of days ago. This would be a perfect opportunity to give him a couple of days off to rest it since Hamilton is on fire.

PuffyPig
04-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I think too many people get too excited but things in baseball which are based on small sample sizes.

Before yesterday, Freel was viewed as having a poor year, with an inability to get on base. A 4-5 day has bosted his personal stats to an acceptable level.

Before yesterday, the Reds as a team couldn't hit. And it was a problem that has lasted all year.

An 11 run day has boosted the Reds into a tie for 6th place in the National League in run scoring. In baseball, players (with any type of prior history) who are hitting .200 will evetually start hitting. Those that are hitting .350 will regress to the norm (for them). it's best not to let current small sample sizes effect how you play or manage the game vs. a larger (but less current)sample size, unless there is a good reason to deviate.

RBA
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey, Windows has a featured known as "Windows" which means you can open more than one "window" up to bring up play by play from your favorite sports site such as ESPN, Yahoo, MLB, etc.; while reading the game thread in another window. You can even bring up several windows. I'm sure MAC has a similiar feature.

So nobody has to do pbp. Let the Pros at MLB do it for you. Windows? What will they think up next? TABBED browsing??????

:)

edabbs44
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM

Seems like we won't be seeing too many of the latter for a while.

VR
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
For the sake of defense, Phillips needs to play second pretty much fulltime. And his bat is starting to heat up.

Agree. It seems his best slot is 7th or 8th (he absolutely tore it up last year in the 8th spot) He just doesnt' have the consistent patience for top or middle of the order, but can clean up the bases pretty well from lower in the order, as he did last year.

I think putting him behind Ross for awhile may at least help get Ross some better pitches to hit...cause he has 0 confidence right now.

Strikes Out Looking
04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's the full lineup for both teams

2B Biggio, Craig 1 4 .259 3B Freel, Ryan 0 1 .298
3B Lamb, Mike 0 0 .167 CF Hamilton, Josh 3 7 .318
1B Berkman, Lance 1 3 .184 LF Dunn, Adam 4 9 .340
LF Lee, Carlos 5 16 .340 RF Griffey, Ken 0 6 .277
RF Scott, Luke 1 6 .250 2B Phillips, Brandon 2 6 .222
CF Lane, Jason 2 5 .167 1B Hatteberg, Scott 1 5 .241
SS Everett, Adam 1 3 .294 SS Gonzalez, Alex 0 4 .324
C Ausmus, Brad 0 2 .269 C Ross, David 0 2 .103
P Sampson, Chris (1-0, 0.00) P Harang, Aaron (2-0, 5.40)

Boss-Hog
04-18-2007, 06:20 PM

That was my intent. I'm not saying more than one person can't do play by play at the same time, but as you succinctly put it, "It's 7 consecutive posts of 'strike 2 to Freel' or "popout to EE" that clog things up."

M2
04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
What EdE needs to do is ask himself What Would Frank Robinson do? He'd get superhumanly ticked off at Jerry Narron and take it out on innocent baseballs. Time to go the "Controlled by Hatred" route.

jesusfan
04-18-2007, 06:32 PM
He can Play, He can Play, He can Play, He can Play!!

jesusfan
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Good news for Friday: Leiber pitching instead of Myers... Atleast I would think that is good news...

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
No homework tonite?? :evil:

Just jokin' ;) ..you are fired up, lining up 3 hours early to do PBP...stand firm, don't let some vet roll in at gametime and try to punk you out of getting to do it :duel:

See men, this is what I call devotion...I can see it now, digging up stats, bio info and lots of stories to use during the game :D

fninished it in my free block at school

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Good news for Friday: Leiber pitching instead of Myers... Atleast I would think that is good news...

The same Lieber that almost no hit the Reds last season.

fisch11
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
So we trade out Bill Hall for Lance Berkman, who is coming to town with a .184 BA, 1 HR, 3 RBI....we can see it coming.

Tom Servo
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
So we trade out Bill Hall for Lance Berkman, who is coming to town with a .184 BA, 1 HR, 3 RBI....we can see it coming.
There will be carnage.

M2
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Harang must love to see the Astros coming.

Here's what he did against them last year:

4 starts, 4-0, 2.76 ERA, 29.1 IP, 22 H, 5 BB, 23 K

In 2005 it was:

4 starts, 1-2, 3.33 ERA, 27 IP, 23 H, 6 BB, 25 K

PickOff
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I am nervous to a certain extent that EE isn't in the lineup tonight, but I think that is mainly because of Freel's 4/5 night. He will probably (and hopefully) be back in there tomorrow.

It is interesting, though, that Narron seems to view Phillips as a superior bat. That is hard to figure for me, since I think EE's approach and patience at the plate were excellent last year, and will improve this year. For someone who likes to see "professional" at bats, you would think he would love EE.

Couple that with his benching and reluctance to play him the past few years, there must be some sort of behavioral issue here as well. I mean that Narron has that opinion, whether true or not. I of course don't know if that is the case, but if it is, then I think the Reds will and are wasting a talent quite a bit better than Phillips.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Stanton is a beast on the mound. 3rd All Time in games.

VR
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Harang must love to see the Astros coming.

Here's what he did against them last year:

4 starts, 4-0, 2.76 ERA, 29.1 IP, 22 H, 5 BB, 23 K

In 2005 it was:

4 starts, 1-2, 3.33 ERA, 27 IP, 23 H, 6 BB, 25 K

I'm much more concerned with a good outing by Harang tonight than the win. Ok, I'll take the win too.

M2
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Stanton is a beast on the mound. 3rd All Time in games.

He's durable, but I'd hardly call him a beast. He's got a career 3.79 ERA with a 1.33 WHIP. No one's confusing him with Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner and Trevor Hoffman.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
He's durable, but I'd hardly call him a beast. He's got a career 3.79 ERA with a 1.33 WHIP. No one's confusing him with Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner and Trevor Hoffman.

Stanton is in a league of his own :D

jesusfan
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
We need to win tonight with Harang going against Sampson...

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Marty asked Jerry on the pregame what if Griffey hits an infield grounder and jogs to first.......like he usually does.....

Jerry said, we'll talk about it, but he probably won't be playing after that....but he hopes it doesn't happen......

We'll see.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Marty asked Jerry on the pregame what if Griffey hits an infield grounder and jogs to first.......like he usually does.....

Jerry said, we'll talk about it, but he probably won't be playing after that...

We'll see.

Griffey has terrible legs I completely understand if he doesn't sprint every time it hits the ball. I said it last night and I'll say it again. Is one run really worth the risk of Griffey getting hurt?

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Griffey has terrible legs I completely understand if he doesn't sprint every time it hits the ball. I said it last night and I'll say it again. Is one run really worth the risk of Griffey getting hurt?

Well....then maybe he shouldn't be playing if he can't play up to the standards set by management

Razor Shines
04-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Griffey was not going to score on that play, no matter what Jeff Brantley says. And someone should also tell Brantley that Bill Hall scored from first on a double to the wall, not a "base hit". And is it really fair to compare the speed of Jr. to Bill Hall's at this stage in their respective careers?

reds44
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Freel and Hamilton and 6 hits last night, and Phillips has been hitting well the last few days.

Narron is playing the hot hand(s).

We all know when it's time to be worried, I'll worry about the EE situation. I'll be loud about it too. You all saw it last year. :lol

gilpdawg
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Chat is open, peeps. Just a reminder. The more the merrier.

Dunner44
04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
No more Chad Moeller... Norris Hopper is up from AAA, Chad is DFA

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Is this a wish or fact?

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Nevermind....it's fact

HOPPER OFF DISABLED LIST

Moeller Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - Prior to tonight's game against the Houston Astros, the Cincinnati Reds reinstated from the 15-day disabled list and recalled from a rehabilitation assignment OF Norris Hopper and designated for assignment C Chad Moeller.

Hopper had been on the disabled list since April 1 with a bruised right heel suffered in a spring training game on March 19 against the Tigers in Lakeland. He hit .281 in 8 rehabilitation appearances at FSL Reds and Class AAA Louisville.

He is in uniform number 30 for tonight's game against the Astros.

Moeller hit .167 in 6 appearances for the Reds. He did not make a start.

Tom Servo
04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
...and there was much rejoicing.

MartyFan
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
This could be interesting...it actually makes our bench pretty good.

forfreelin04
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
This could be interesting...it actually makes our bench pretty good.

True, at least there is a hint of speed somewhere!

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Biggio flys out to Jr. 1 out

jfar23
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
This could be interesting...it actually makes our bench pretty good.Considering the Reds second best hitter isn't worthy enough to start two games in a row I'd consider the bench really strong :cool:

IslandRed
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
It is interesting, though, that Narron seems to view Phillips as a superior bat. That is hard to figure for me, since I think EE's approach and patience at the plate were excellent last year, and will improve this year. For someone who likes to see "professional" at bats, you would think he would love EE.

I don't think it has anything to do with Phillips being a superior bat to Encarnacion. It's more of a referendum on Ryan Freel's suitability as a second baseman. They want solid defense, up the middle at least, and unlike some recent Reds teams they're not going to jam square pegs into round holes all over the place for the sake of getting the best eight bats into the lineup.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Lamb grounds out to Gonzo. 2 outs

M2
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I've long been rooting for Norris Hopper, so I'm just going to re-post what I wrote on Reds Live here:

I would like to take this moment to announce the official founding of the Norris Hopper Appreciation Society. The purpose of this organization will be to chronicle and comment upon the excellence of Norris Hopper so that he will become an enduring figure of the modern for all future generations.

The will be no dues nor oaths required to join NHAS. All that is needed is a love of Norris Hopper and the belief that, even when it may look like he's screwed up in the eyes of others, he's secretly done something very right, a something that needs to be divined and made apparent to the Hopper skeptics.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
2 game series' are kinda dumb

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Berkman strikes out looking. 3 outs.

OnBaseMachine
Nice easy 1-2-3 inning for Harang.

jesusfan
Harang with an easy first...

forfreelin04
04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
2 game series' are kinda dumb

No kidding! Is that new to this season? I vaguely remember a 2 game series at home versus St. Lou last year.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Freel grounds out to 3rd.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Hamilton grounds out to 2nd. Guys quit swinging at the first pitch!

redsfan30
Wow...three pitches, two outs.

OnBaseMachine
Chris Sampson is a guy the Reds should beat up on.

Chip R

Jerry said, we'll talk about it, but he probably won't be playing after that....but he hopes it doesn't happen......

We'll see.

What's this "probably" stuff? Either a player hustles or he sits. That's what Narron said last week. I'm fine if he wants to have a double standard for Jr. and others but at least be honest about it.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Dunn strikes out. 3 outs

jesusfan
Dunn K's once again...

WMR
Amazing how amateurish Grande and Welsch sound immediately following Brantley and Brennaman.

OnBaseMachine
Dunn again K's swinging on a bad pitch away. Right now Dunn has zero plate discipline. He's up there swinging away at everything.

Razor Shines
04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Oswalt is looking tough tonight..........or my bad that's a guy who used to be an outfielder.

jojo
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
The Astros aren't that good...this series is a great chance for the Reds to make some hay...

SirFelixCat
Nice....a 7 pitch first inning for Sampson...way to make'em work, fellas:/

jesusfan
El Caballo is going down!

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Lee flys out to Hamilton

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Griffey robs Scott of a homer!

Matt700wlw
Old school Griffey!!

OnBaseMachine
GREAT catch by Griff! Robbed Scott of a homer!

redsfan30
Great timing!

Razor Shines
What a worthless POS.

RFS62
What's this "probably" stuff? Either a player hustles or he sits. That's what Narron said last week. I'm fine if he wants to have a double standard for Jr. and others but at least be honest about it.

The cadillac trot on a ball that doesn't go out is one thing.

But I don't blame him for not ripping up his hamstring running out a ground ball.

Junior is one bad move away from the end of his career. His freakin' hamstring is screwed on to his leg. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

The Reds know this, and would be insane if they don't view everything he does in this light. It's simply a fact.

We have to face it. I'm sure Narron and the front office understand it completely.

We either have to accept him exactly as he is, or not play him.

The Reds have apparently made the judgment that with what we pay him and with the abilitity he has left, it's worth the caution.

It goes against all the sensibilities of Pete Rose lovin' Reds fans everywhere.

But it's reality.

M2
Oswalt is looking tough tonight..........or my bad that's a guy who used to be an outfielder.

Sampson got himself a nifty little Strat card last season. chili built an entire team around the guy, kind of like that Kohler commercial where the yuppies ask the architect to build a house around a faucet.

The Astros aren't that good...this series is a great chance for the Reds to make some hay...

While I'm not terribly impressed with the 'Stros, they strike me as a tough matchup for the Reds ... even if the 6-7-8 hitters in the lineup are pretty much the major league worst.

jesusfan
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't know if that was going out or not...

reds44
Old School Junior!!!!

jojo
That was a great "homerun take away catch"....

Degenerate39
Lane doubles to left

CTA513
Dunn again K's swinging on a bad pitch away. Right now Dunn has zero plate discipline. He's up there swinging away at everything.

His back probably isnt 100% yet after having back spasms the other day.

jesusfan
Double down the line...

jfar23
Great play by that fan getting out of the way so Jr could get a clean catch. Someone buy him a beer. :beerme:

pedro
Great catch by Griffey.

redsfan30
I don't know if that was going out or not...
Yes, it was out.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Great catch by Griffey.

He's off everybody's crap on list for the time being :)

jesusfan
04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Harangatang K's Everett!

Degenerate39
Everrett strikes out. 3 gone

jimbo
Junior's catch was a thing of beauty.

OnBaseMachine
Harang K's Everett to end the inning.

jojo

I dunno....he was a little nonchalant on that ball....

pedro

I voted in the poll that he'd go yard tonight BTW.

Degenerate39

Never been on my crap list ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
8 pitches, 4 outs. Way to make him work guys.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Griffey flys out to center. Again swinging on the first pitch

gilpdawg
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Amazing how amateurish Grande and Welsch sound immediately following Brantley and Brennaman.
TV sound down, radio on.

redsfan30
The gameplan against Sampson must be to go up hacking.

Matt700wlw
I voted in the poll that he'd go yard tonight BTW.

My option wasn't there, but I said before the weekend.....

He's getting closer

Matt700wlw
TV sound down, radio on.

You're a good human.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Never been on my crap list ;)

I try to be fair.....I don't think I crap just to crap.

Degenerate39
BP Homers!

OnBaseMachine
Phillips homers! 1-0 Reds. He's heating up.

Matt700wlw
:phillips:

:jump:

He hustled out of the batter's box :D

Razor Shines
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
He busted it out of the box that time.

reds44
B-Phil has returned to form....

Last years!

redsfan30
This sure is a game of inches, isn't it?

Matt700wlw
Leave him in right there in the batting order. DO NOT move him.

OnBaseMachine
Hat strokes a single to center.

Degenerate39
Hatte singles to center

Tom Servo
04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Leave him in right there in the batting order. DO NOT move him.
Yup.

forfreelin04
B-Phil has returned to form....

Last years!

Alot of that is hitting him further down the lineup... not to take anything away from the way hes hitting the ball though! Go B Phil!

Chip R

But I don't blame him for not ripping up his hamstring running out a ground ball.

Junior is one bad move away from the end of his career. His freakin' hamstring is screwed on to his leg. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

The Reds know this, and would be insane if they don't view everything he does in this light. It's simply a fact.

We have to face it. I'm sure Narron and the front office understand it completely.

The Reds have apparently made the judgment that with what we pay him and with the abilitity he has left, it's worth the caution.

But it's reality.

I agree. But at least if you are going to let Jr. coast, be up front about it. For the record, I'm not impressed with false hustle. If Narron would say that they feel that taking it easy with Jr. is isn the best interests of the team, I'm fine with it. But that isn't what he said. Last week he said, hustle or sit. Now he says if Jr. doesn't run out a grounder he will probably sit him. Well, which is it? If you give an ultimatum, you better make sure you carry it out.

gilpdawg

But it's reality.
A lot of fans don't understand the seriousness of his surgery after the last hammy injury. I still hear people say he doesn't wanna play, he's lazy, whatever, and it angers me to no end. It was, like, the first ever to have it done and try to be a pro athlete, IIRC. Jason Romano never made it back, did he? He had the same surgery. ( I know he sucked, but work with me here)

VR
04-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Phillips OPS has now gone up over 150 points in the last few ab's. Just shy of .800 now.

I'd still like to see him lower in the order :dunno:

jesusfan
5-4-3 DP... 1-0 Reds top 3

Degenerate39
Gonzo grounds into a Casey 3 outs

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Gonzalez chased a pitch at his ankles and GIDP.

1-0 Reds after 2.

M2
The cool thing about the Phillips homer was that it came on Sampson's out pitch. The plan was for him to strike out on that one, instead he took a ball low and away and drove it out of the park. Nice to have a player like that who can expand his strikezone.

PickOff

Chip R
04-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Gonzalez chased a pitch at his ankles and GIDP.

1-0 Reds after 2.

What happened to the Gonzo that walked twice last night? :(

Degenerate39
Fly out to Hambone on the first pitch

Patrick Bateman
I generally would prefer a patient approach at the plate, however, Sampson is known as a control artist.

Last year in the majors he threw 67% of his pitches for strikes. Last year he walked 14 in 126 minor league innings.

The way to beat this guy is to put the ball in play, rather than waiting for him to strike you out, because the walks are few and far between.

Chip R
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I think you could fire a cannon into the seats tonight and not hit anyone.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Sampson strikes out. 2 gone

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Wow! Griffey!!

OnBaseMachine
Another solid catch by Griff while on the run. 1-2-3 3rd for Harang.

Degenerate39
Biggio flys out to Jr. Griff is looking real good in the field today!

OesterPoster
Who is the kid in right field, and what did he do with Griffey?

:D

jojo
The cool thing about the Phillips homer was that it came on Sampson's out pitch. The plan was for him to strike out on that one, instead he took a ball low and away and drove it out of the park. Nice to have a player like that who can expand his strikezone.

Last week people were complaining about his expanded strike zone...

:cool:

GoReds44
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Who is the kid in right field, and what did he do with Griffey?

:D

Amen to that. Is it 1995 again:D

gilpdawg
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Griffey getting it done tonight.

gilpdawg
Time for Ross to get untracked, now that BP is coming alive.

Matt700wlw
Maybe Griffey got the message :D

M2
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I think you could fire a cannon into the seats tonight and not hit anyone.

And supposedly the weather's turned for the better hasn't it?

In first place with the guy who led the league in Ks last year, with a star player playing like a star player (Dunn), with one of the most improbable up from nowhere stories ever (Hobbs), playing an attractive brand of baseball (including speed, defense and pitching) and still no one shows up? Has a team ever needed a marketing blitz more than the Reds?

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Ross strikes out swinging

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
David Ross couldn't hit the ball off a tee right now

OnBaseMachine
Ross K's again and looked horrible doing it.

reds44
Oy Vey

Degenerate39
Harang flys out to right. You'd think Harang would take some pitches to get the other pitchers pitch count up.

jojo
04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Maybe Griffey got the message :D

This is why ERA is crap...... on a night when Griffey didn't drink from the fountain of youth, Harang might be losing 3 to 1 right now....

dsmith421
Ross is 3-30, with 14 strikeouts and no walks.

Degenerate39
Freel grounds out to short

jfar23
04-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I think everyone expected Ross to have a down year but this is ridiculous. Arroyo has looked better at the plate this season.

M2
04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Last week people were complaining about his expanded strike zone...

:cool:

It's a fine line you've got to walk when you can do that. Brandon's not Vlad Guerrero or Kirby Puckett. All-in-all, as he masters his strikezone, Phillips should be a nice compliment to a guy like Dunn or Hatteberg.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Lamb singles to left

M2
David Ross couldn't hit the ball off a tee right now

He couldn't even hit the tee.

PickOff

"No bueno," says Javy.

reds44
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Ross may be bad, but he isn't THIS bad. It's hard to be THIS bad.

Puffy

He hits 8th and still doesn't have a walk. What does that tell you.

VR
I think everyone expected Ross to have a down year but this is ridiculous. Arroyo has looked better at the plate this season.

It will be nice when the Reds pitchers contribute a 'bit' as well. Currently 2-27 w/ no walks or ribeyes

adampad
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Grande fantisizing about Edmonds once again.

OesterPoster
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
He hits 8th and still doesn't have a walk. What does that tell you.

He's allergic to Billy Hatcher?

:)

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Berkman grounds out to BP. Out at 1st base. 1 gone

Matt700wlw
It would suck to be the Phillies right now.....3-9 with a manger who is on the verge of a complete meltdown.

jfar23
No reason to give Lee anything to hit here.

M2
04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Great fight back against Berkman by Harang. That 3-1 pitch was evil.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Lee walks

gilpdawg
04-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Ross may be bad, but he isn't THIS bad. It's hard to be THIS bad.
I just said that in chat. He can't be this putrid, or he would have exposed himself as a no talent years ago and be out of baseball.

M2
No reason to give Lee anything to hit here.

Except that Scott was robbed of a homer last time up. I'd have gone after after El Caballo. Harang could have taken him.

Falls City Beer
I get the feeling that Scott will terrorize this team.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Scott walks

Matt700wlw
Harang in a rut....

OnBaseMachine
Jeez. Harang walks sub .750 OPS Luke Scott. Good grief Harang. It's Luke freakin' Scott.

Degenerate39
Really need a double play now

Tom Servo
I get the feeling that Scott will terrorize this team.
Luke Scott and Chris Duncan are part of the new wave of Reds-terrorizers.

Dunner44
04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Luke Scott and Chris Duncan are part of the new wave of Reds-terrorizers.

Someone has to take over with THE BERK 0-2 on the day

OnBaseMachine
0-2 to Lane. Go with the slider down and away.

Falls City Beer
Harang in a rut....

Eh. No need to be nice. He can't even use the cold as an excuse. Dude needs to get his head on straight or go see Doc Hollywood. He's pitching like absolute hell.

gilpdawg
Thom just said BA is an over-rated stat! Who gave him a BP subscription for Christmas? :)

jojo
Really need a double play now

:beerme:

jfar23
04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Harang has had a lot of swinging strikes but he is having a hard time with control.

Degenerate39
Lane strikes out

OnBaseMachine

Thank You.

M2
Fortunately the Astros' 6-7-8 hitters are a balm for RHPs who find themselves in a tight spot.

Matt700wlw
Eh. No need to be nice. He can't even use the cold as an excuse. Dude needs to get his head on straight or go see Doc Hollywood. He's pitching like absolute hell.

That strikeout was abysmal :p:

jojo
Lane had a horrible at bat....he all but told Harang not to throw a strike. Thats good pitching by Harang.

Tom Servo
Thom just said BA is an over-rated stat! Who gave him a BP subscription for Christmas?
He's probably just saying that because Dunn's hitting .340

VR
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Everett's pic looks like he should have starred in Goonies.

M2
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM

Amazing, but it really is that easy to whiff Jason Lane. Throw a slider low and away with two strikes and he will flail at it. Can't stop himself.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice!!!

:clap:

Degenerate39
Another strikeout!

TheBigLebowski
Where are the fans? Come on, Cincinnati.

OnBaseMachine
Great pitch. Great job by Harang to battle back and escape that inning without any damage.

ThatPitchIsDunn
Pitch count for the 'tang?

gilpdawg
His velocity is fine. He'll be okay. I know you're a glass half empty guy, but it's early dude. He'll be fine. Mark it down.

TheBigLebowski
Great comeback by Harang but, he is throwing WAY too many pitches.

gilpdawg
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
nm

Falls City Beer
04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
66 through 4 innings, but that inning was rough.

jfar23
Heart of the order up, time to hammer Sampson's junk.

VR

OnBaseMachine
Dunn's going to homer this inning.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't like this ump, either....slow to make a ball/strike decision.

Larry Ponsino

M2
Great comeback by Harang but, he is throwing WAY too many pitches.

Yep, those two walks forced him to throw a lot of extra pitches. He gave Lee and Scott way too much respect. Harang's probably not going more than seven tonight even if he's throwing a shutout.

OnBaseMachine
Terrible 2-1 strike call on Hamilton. It seems like he is going to get the same treatment that Dunn gets - low strike calls. Like Dunn, umps are using his height against him.

RedsMan3203
04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Chat is open :beerme:

Degenerate39
Full count to Josh

ThatPitchIsDunn
Man, is this kid strong!

Degenerate39
Josh homers Josh homers!

OnBaseMachine
Hamilton goes opposite field! Wow, this kid is unreal. WOW!

MrCinatit
04-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Hamilton needs to start forever.

Matt700wlw
:hamilton:

:jump::jump::jump:

I'm in awe

WMR
Hamilton for Rookie of the Year?

TheBigLebowski
Whooooo Freaking Hoooooo

jojo
That was a bad pitch made good....

Puffy
The Natural is a playa - that much is for sure.

reds44
He's special.

Really, really special

redsfan30
All the kid has to do is stay clean.

Tom Servo
I am in awe of Hamilton.

VR
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
He's a superfreak, superfreak. He's superfreaky.

Degenerate39
Hamilton for MVP

Fixed

Matt700wlw
8 hits - 4 of them are home runs

RFS62
He's a superfreak, superfreak. He's superfreaky.

No shizzle

Falls City Beer

Good lord. That's sick.

Degenerate39
Full count to Dunn

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Just remember, Josh has never played past A ball.

Degenerate39
Dunn flys out to center.

OnBaseMachine
Dunn gets ahead 3-1 before flying out to medium CF.

RFS62
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I can't remember ever seeing anything like this.

Of course, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Griffey flys out to center

TheBigLebowski
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Man...thought that was going to be #1.

jojo
Jr and retired in the same sentence sorta has a ring to it....

:cry:

WMR
How many near/warning-track shots has Griff had so far this season? Seems like a bunch.

Degenerate39
BP flys out to 2nd

PickOff
I think Hamilton's OPS just bumped up to about 1.3. As it stands now (1.210) before that homer, he is leading the National League.

registerthis
Junior is *just* missing some of these pitches. Another week or so and he'll be there, methinks.

VR

NL OPS leader.

cincy09
04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Pitch counts through 4

Harang 65
Sampson 47

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Let me try again...

8 hits, 4 homers, 8 RBIs

That's serious.

M2
04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Sampson's apparently convinced he can go right after Jr. with impugnity.

Can't say I'm wild about Jr. and Phillips making two outs on three pitches after Hamiton and Dunn softened him up by forcing 15 pitches.

Matt700wlw
Phenom.

Degenerate39
Ausmus grounds out to BP

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Phillips has some serious range at 2B