PDA

View Full Version : Phillies send Myers to pen

klw
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Lieber to starting rotation, unknown if Manuel will challenge anyone to fight tonight.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6702882

Red Leader
04-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Good idea. Take your best starter and move him to the bullpen.

Brilliant!

Johnny Footstool
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Charlie Manuel just put himself in the running for Worst MLB Manager.

If Krivsky can pounce on this bout of idiocy and extract Myers from the Phillies, I'll take back all the bad things I've ever said about him.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I could find a starting role for Myers on this team...he has a more favorable track record than you know who...

membengal
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
That has to be one of the single dumbest things I have ever had the misfortune to comprehend. That is indefensible on every possible level...

BRM
04-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Charlie says it all about having the best staff possible. Turning one of your best starters into a setup man makes the staff better?

When asked if this was out of desperation, Manuel replied, "No, I think this is a way of us trying to fix our pitching staff, having the best pitching staff we can have."

Myers has struggled so far this season, going 0-2 with a 9.39 ERA. He has failed to even make it out of the fifth inning in each of his last two starts.

Lieber hasn't fared any better; after two appearances out of the bullpen, he has a lofty 11.57 ERA. Last season, he started 27 games for the Phillies, going 9-11 with a 4.93 ERA.

membengal
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Everyone associated with that decision from the front office down to Charlie Manuel should immediately be fired.

HotCorner
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I dropped Myers this morning and picked up Hamilton because I needed OF depth. I must have ESP or something! ;)

larks
04-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Great news for me! Some fool in my fantasy league dropped him a couple days ago for Ramon Ortiz. Im pretty far down the waiver wire but maybe this we'll help me pick up Myers.

hebroncougar
04-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Idiocy. This is something a fantasy manager would do. Freaking baseball is a marathon, not a sprint, you can't judge Myers after 3 starts this season after what he' done the past 2 seasons. Anyone think the Phils need Comier back?

M2
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Nothing so much fun as watching the Phillies implode.

membengal
04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
If WK has a pulse, he is on the phone to Philly right now, offering them EE, Coffey and Cormier for Myers...

Strikes Out Looking
04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Moronic move. I don't really care about the Phillies, but Myers is on my Roto team.

StillFunkyB
04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey Philly, you can have your boy Milton back. Along with Frenchie, and we'll even throw in a real setup man in David Weathers.

You send us that bum Meyers. Sound good? :D

larks
04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Moronic move. I don't really care about the Phillies, but Myers is on my Roto team.

I cant imagine this move lasting more than a week or two.

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
If WK has a pulse, he is on the phone to Philly right now, offering them EE, Coffey and Cormier for Myers...

Well that would turn us into the morons ;)

flyer85
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
a bit of an overreaction

TeamSelig
04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Definitely wouldn't give up EdE, Coffey, and Cormier

If they want though I would send them Cormier & Coffey

TC81190
04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd send them Stubbs, LeCure, and Cormier and enjoy our new #3. I bet that'd do it, too.

edabbs44
04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Definitely wouldn't give up EdE, Coffey, and Cormier

If they want though I would send them Cormier & Coffey

I would. Coffey is an average reliever. Cormier is as expendable as they come. EdE, yeah I wouldn't want to lose him.

But slot Myers behind Aaron and BA and in front of Homer? :drool:

edabbs44
04-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd send them Stubbs, LeCure, and Cormier and enjoy our new #3. I bet that'd do it, too.

Except they can't trade Stubbs until 1 year from the draft. Or did they change that rule? I don't think they did but I could be wrong.

TOBTTReds
04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah let's trade EdE, because our offense is so good we can spare one of our young hitters. Let alone one of our only RH hitters. Also, when/if Griffey or Freel goes down we'll just put in Castro to play 3rd.

BoydsOfSummer
04-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Except they can't trade Stubbs until 1 year from the draft. Or did they change that rule? I don't think they did but I could be wrong.
Player to be named later? :devil:

ED44
04-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I would love to see Myers in a Reds uniform. That is quite an impressive rotation with Harang, Arroyo & Myers...then with the way Lohse and Belisle have pitched, we would have the makings of a pretty decent rotation...then, when Homer's ready...:beerme: :beerme:

Superdude
04-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I have a whole new appreciation for Narron and Krivsky. This is basically the equivalent of putting Harang in the bullpen. My mind just can't grasp the fact that someone who is paid to know a lot about baseball could make this move. If WayneK spins a cheap deal for Myers, he'll have me won over for life.

KronoRed
04-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Player to be named later? :devil:

I saw a license tag the other day that said PTBNL

Windows were tinted so I never got to see the guy ;)

membengal
04-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow. I like EE as much as the next poster (well, not as much as Reds44, but who can be held to that standard), but if you have even a smidgen of a chance of prying Brett Myers from the Phillies during this their time of insanity, you do it. I don't understand the mentality which has taken over baseball (and baseball fans) that trades have to be "steals" for one team over another. EE and a few relievers would be fair value for a stud like Myers, would address Philly's 3b issues (assuming Wes Helms ain't making them happy) and give the Reds an arm that would likely make them the favorites in this weak division.

It's a no-brainer. Step back and look at the landscape, folks.

bucksfan2
04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
EZ, Coffey, and EE for Meyers. I am a big EE fan but I want to see the guy get a fair shot which I dont think Narron is going to give him here. I would offer up Votto and Coffey for him but I think the Phillies are set at 1b for quit a while.

Kind of ironic that Meyers signed a 3 year $25 million deal this offseason and was sent to the bench after 3 bad starts. While a former philly (Milton) signed a deal similar to Meyers and has yet to be sent to the pen.

membengal
04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah. The contract. Forgot about that part. Myers is locked up at an extremely reasonable rate in this market. Another reason to do everything reasonable (including EE) to get to him...

edabbs44
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
EZ, Coffey, and EE for Meyers. I am a big EE fan but I want to see the guy get a fair shot which I dont think Narron is going to give him here. I would offer up Votto and Coffey for him but I think the Phillies are set at 1b for quit a while.

Kind of ironic that Meyers signed a 3 year $25 million deal this offseason and was sent to the bench after 3 bad starts. While a former philly (Milton) signed a deal similar to Meyers and has yet to be sent to the pen.

He wasn't sent to the pen b/c he had a few bad starts. He was sent b/c he was viewed as having a chance to succeed there while moving Lieber to the rotation.

edabbs44
04-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a whole new appreciation for Narron and Krivsky. This is basically the equivalent of putting Harang in the bullpen. My mind just can't grasp the fact that someone who is paid to know a lot about baseball could make this move. If WayneK spins a cheap deal for Myers, he'll have me won over for life.

I don't think so...the Reds don't have a Lieber to replace Harang. Hell, they don't have a Lieber in the rotation after the top 2. It's a move that doesn't make much sense for the career of Myers, but it could make them a better team.

Chip R
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Wasn't Myers the guy who beat his wife last year?

membengal
04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes. That's him. Not exactly a character guy. Still...

Chip R
04-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes. That's him. Not exactly a character guy. Still...

OK. Then I can be forgiven for thinking that pen meant penitentiary. :p:

DTCromer
04-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Why is this such a bad move? Has anyone seen Myers' numbers this year? Has anyone seen the Phillies bullpen this year? Has anyone seen anyone from the Phillies play this year?

This was a GOOD move once you actually look at the stats and the situation surrounding the team. I'm not sure I'd want a guy who's given up 16 runs in his 3 starts thus far.

membengal
04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Because, DT, you don't send someone like Myers to the pen over a few bad starts. This isn't the NFL. It's a horrible way to do business...

If the Phillies are THAT brain dead and would loose him, that is EXACTLY the time to pick him up.

I don't understand why some people don't understand about sample sizes, and the general failure built into the game of baseball...

DTCromer
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Because, DT, you don't send someone like Myers to the pen over a few bad starts. This isn't the NFL. It's a horrible way to do business...

If the Phillies are THAT brain dead and would loose him, that is EXACTLY the time to pick him up.

I don't understand why some people don't understand about sample sizes, and the general failure built into the game of baseball...

The Red Sox moved Papelbon to the bullpen because they realized their middle relief was very suspect and everyone is applauding that move.

Yet Charlie Manuel puts Myers in a setup role in a bullpen that is 5x worse than ours and he gets shelled for it. That doesn't make much sense to me.

BRM
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
The Red Sox moved Papelbon to the bullpen because they realized their middle relief was very suspect and everyone is applauding that move.

Yet Charlie Manuel puts Myers in a setup role in a bullpen that is 5x worse than ours and he gets shelled for it. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Papelbon was never one of Boston's top starters. He came to the big leagues and went almost immediately to a relief role. Myers had two very good seasons as a starter in 2005 and 2006. He has been the Phils best starter for two years running. This situation is nothing like Papelbon's in my mind.

Stewie
04-19-2007, 10:26 AM

There are better candidates to move to the bullpen than Myers. I'm pretty sure the main reason he was chosen was b/c before the season he said he'd be fine w/a move to the bullpen. So Manuel chose him as opposed to Eaton, who would most likely complain if he got moved. When they were throwing this idea around before the season started, I thought it was just a joke. Clearly not the case, though.

I've been a Phillies fan pretty much all my life, and at this point, nothing really surprises me. It's almost impossible to even get angry about it, mainly b/c it is all so incredibly ridiculous. Manuel was on Comcast last night discussing how he likes Myers at the "backend of the bullpen b/c of his talent", and likes the idea of having him pitch "in 65 or 75 games as opposed to 35." There's just so many things wrong w/both of those statements that it is tough to know where to begin.

Coupled w/the news of Ryan Howard having to get an MRI on his knee today, this has been a fabulous morning.

nmculbreth
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM

There are a couple differences that need to be pointed out. First and foremost Myers is arguably the Phillies best starter and Jonathan Papelbon would have been the Red Sox #4 or #5. At the same time the Sox are going to be getting Lester back shortly so it only made sense to move Papelbon to the bullpen from the start of the season rather than bumping him midway. Also I think it's worth mentioning that Papelbon is being used as the closer while Myers is being used as a setup man / middle reliever.

IMHO moving your number one starter to the bullpen is beyond dumb and everyone responsible for such a decision should no longer be employed.

Redsnake
04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I hope Waynes is on the phone now trying to swing a deal for Myers at this exact moment.

flyer85
04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I hope Waynes is on the phone now trying to swing a deal for Myers at this exact moment.The Reds should let the Phils have Weathers, Stanton and Cormier. :D

TeamSelig
04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Wasn't it last year no one on Redszone would accept a trade that involved Myers?

Chip R
04-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Wasn't it last year no one on Redszone would accept a trade that involved Myers?

That was hot on the heels of when he beat his wife. And I don't think everyone didn't want him. But the vast majority didn't want anything to do with him.

Just keeps getting worse and worse for the Phils. Looks like Howard may miss some time with a sprained knee ligament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2842888

flyer85
04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Wasn't it last year no one on Redszone would accept a trade that involved Myers?He hasn't slugged his wife yet this year or if he has it was not reported.

TeamSelig
04-19-2007, 02:44 PM
He hasn't slugged his wife yet this year or if he has it was not reported.

So what does that lower his slugging percentage down to? ;)

Highlifeman21
04-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Charlie Manuel just put himself in the running for Worst MLB Manager.

If Krivsky can pounce on this bout of idiocy and extract Myers from the Phillies, I'll take back all the bad things I've ever said about him.

Don't get my hopes up!

I would send R. Freel, J. Cueto and T. Wood to the Phillies right now for Brett Myers and Shane Victorino.

Highlifeman21
04-19-2007, 03:36 PM

I dunno about all that...

EE?

Coffey?

They can have Cormier back....

I know Jerry Narron is doing is best to run EE out of town, but I can't imagine Krivsky would actually give Jerry his wish.

membengal
04-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Yes. EE. Coffey. You have to give to get. And Myers is worth getting.

KronoRed
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
If I'm giving up on my 3rd baseman I want someone who is lights out, Myers numbers don't tell me that's what he is, above avg really.

membengal
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Myers in 2005:

3.72 ERA 208 K 68 BB 1.21 WHIP

Myers in 2006:

3.91 ERA 189 K 63 BB 1.28 WHIP

Both years, of course, pitching in noted hitters park in Philly.

He's locked up for three years at VERY reasonable rates. He's 28 years old. I don't know what to tell you all, but to me, in today's game, that IS lights out. If you could get him, you get him. Period. If it costs you EE's potential, so be it. Power pitchers with 200 inning 200 K credentials at $8 million a year are available once every ten zillion years. Rare as rare gets.

I hope WK has at least placed a courtesy call...

savafan
04-21-2007, 03:15 PM
The Phillies are imploding before our eyes, and we're not even out of April yet. Makes me glad that I'm a Reds fan, they never implode until August. :D

savafan
04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
FWIW, I love the sports reporters' reaction to this:

Finally, out of the blue, Manuel drops this: He's putting his No. 1 starter, Brett Myers, into the bullpen. There was five seconds of silence. Literally. I timed it later. Then laughter. Much laughter. The beat writers attempted to convince Manuel that he was joking. They stared at each other. Literally, jaws were dropped. One writer offered to bet Manuel $100 that he was kidding. Finally, they realized he was serious.

Highlifeman21
04-21-2007, 03:39 PM

I wanted Myers especially after he allegedly beat his wife. I figured that punched his ticket out of The City of Brotherly Love, and hopefully into a Reds uni.

I didn't want him b/c he maybe beat his wife, I wanted him b/c I figured the Phillies would sell him for cheap.