PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton does not make sense

dougdirt
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I am just sitting here watching the game and what he does should not be done by someone who has played as little as he has recently. My head cant comprehend it.

Matt700wlw
04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
He shouldn't be doing this.

However, he is doing this....and making it look EASY.

pedro
04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I share you're wonder Doug.

It's like a wonderful dream I don't want to wake up from.

texasdave
04-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Do you think if the Reds offered him back to Tampa Bay that they would take him? :p:

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 08:32 PM
You know people said this guy was a once a decade type player like Griffey and ARod were coming out of HS and you think yeah right. It takes that kind of talent that only these guys have to be able to hit like this after sitting out over 3 seasons. I'm not sure if he'll keep it up all year but I am sure that his talent has not been overrated.

fearofpopvol1
04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't comprehend it either. He's making it look WAY too easy. You would've thought he went through the minors and dominated and has already been through his rookie season and then some. It's just UNBELIEVABLE. I know it's still early in the season, but you can't help but be optimistic. I was for sure pessimistic going in...

texasdave
04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
At one point in my life I had talent like Josh Hamilton. Sadly, I had to wake up for school. :)

TOBTTReds
04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
It certainly unbelievable isn't. Every time he gets on base I think it is amazing. When he hits HR's, it is even better.

dougdirt
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
HAHA dave :thumbup:

MWM
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I've been trying to wrap my head around it as well and I just can't. Nothing like this has ever happened before in my recollection.

MrCinatit
04-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I guess when a guy has pure, natural talent, even an extended period of time matters not.

Matt700wlw
04-19-2007, 08:39 PM
We've been waiting for him to cool off since Spring....

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
When is the time range for NL Player of the Week, he's got to be right there this week.

Dom Heffner
04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
I haven't waited with as much anticipation to watch someone hit since Eric Davis in the Spring of 1987.

I feel like I'm watching Awakenings with Robert DeNiro, except I don't want Josh Hamilton to go back to sleep.

Close to tears here. This is unbelievable.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I haven't waited with as much anticipation to watch someone hit since Eric Davis in the Spring of 1987.

I feel like I'm watching Awakenings with Robert DeNiro, except I don't want Josh Hamilton to go back to sleep.

Close to tears here. This is unbelievable.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, following this kid feels exactly like falling in love. The path that's led you there seems both unbelievable and a given at the same time and you're freaked out about the complete uncertainty of the future, but at the moment it's just the greatest thing that has ever happened.

Mario-Rijo
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
It's such a beautiful picture that is being painted. I hope....no I pray nothing bad ever happens to this kid ever again. I am going to the game Saturday, I gotta and he is the reason why. :thumbup:

I just voted (write-in) 5 times for him to be an All-Star, I don't care he is one. I still got 20 more votes for him whenever I have some more time on my hands.

RedsManRick
04-19-2007, 08:57 PM
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, following this kid feels exactly like falling in love. The path that's led you there seems both unbelievable and a given at the same time and you're freaked out about the complete uncertainty of the future, but at the moment it's just the greatest thing that has ever happened.

I'd give you rep if I could VP. That's exactly what this is like. Scary and wonderful at the same time.

KronoRed
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I've been trying to wrap my head around it as well and I just can't. Nothing like this has ever happened before in my recollection.
The time off yes, the explosiveness against in the majors with very few at bats above single A mirrors a certain St.Louis Cardinal
http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/baseball/player.cgi?2669

harangatang
04-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Wily Mo tore it up and batted like .400 in April 2005 with extended playing time. Then he went cold and went back to the old Wily Mo. Not trying to be negative but I hope Josh Hamilton's major league debut isn't like the Reds are year in and year out in recent times. A hot start and cold finish.

redsfan30
04-19-2007, 08:59 PM
The thing that makes it even more unbelievalbe is the fact that he's doing most of his damage on off speed pitches. It's not like he's just waiting for fastballs.

Joseph
04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing on the way home from work this afternoon. There is no logical reason for this to be happening.

I'm glad it is though, for us and for Josh.

TOBTTReds
04-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Wily Mo tore it up and batted like .400 in April 2005 with extended playing time. Then he went cold and went back to the old Wily Mo. Not trying to be negative but I hope Josh Hamilton's major league debut isn't like the Reds are year in and year out in recent times. A hot start and cold finish.

There is a major difference though. Wily Mo has a hole the size of the moon in his swing. Anything that breaks. Hamilton has been very patient and waited back on curves and changeups.

Their approach is ions apart from similar.

redsmetz
04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
He shouldn't be doing this.

However, he is doing this....and making it look EASY.

Wasn't that what some seasoned scout yelled at him during Spring Training?

FlightRick
04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I'd give you rep if I could VP. That's exactly what this is like. Scary and wonderful at the same time.

A big part of it is certianly wonderful, but I'm not so sure about the "scary."

The flip side of this coin is more along the lines of "massive uncertainty and suspicion." I'm not scared by my feelings for Josh Hamilton. But I keep feeling like some jerk MUST be "punking" me. Or that I'm temporarily blinded, and missimg some blatantly-obvious shortcoming of his, and that he's just one heartbeat away from letting me down.

Also: it goes without saying that I have yet to pick up Hamilton in any of my Fantasy Leagues, because I don't want any of my friends to know just how much I like him. And now, because of my suspicious nature and my unwillingness to act, he'll end up getting snapped up by some other toolbox. D'oh.

Dom Heffner
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I am going to the game Saturday, I gotta and he is the reason why.

I wouldn't look for Hamilton to play on Saturday- Hamels is pitching, and Narron will do the dumb thing and play the 800 lb. elephant that is now standing right over there in the corner, Mr. Ken Griffey, Jr.

fearofpopvol1
04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Too bad this brilliant performance today was soured by the bullpen...

Dom Heffner
04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Too bad this brilliant performance today was soured by the bullpen...

When will these managers learn that when your pitcher is winning the game, you leave him in.

Jerry Narron is taking lessons from the Giants skipper who keeps pulling Matt Cain out an inning too early.

And-I take back everything I ever said good about Luke Scott.

flyer85
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I am just sitting here watching the game and what he does should not be done by someone who has played as little as he has recently. My head cant comprehend it.He is "The Natural". Roy Hobbs is alive and well.

Dom Heffner
04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Also: it goes without saying that I have yet to pick up Hamilton in any of my Fantasy Leagues, because I don't want any of my friends to know just how much I like him. And now, because of my suspicious nature and my unwillingness to act, he'll end up getting snapped up by some other toolbox. D'oh.

I've played Hamilton everyday since homerun number 2.

FlightRick, let me tell you something you already know: be bold in this life. There isn't some mystical baseball card of you somewhere that has your life's successes and failures on the back in percentages.

If she's there (you know the one), ask her out, and if Josh Hamilton is available in your fantasy league, you give him a shot.

Tomorrow is 100% unforgiving of chances missed today.

(This is coming from the guy who waited one round too late to draft Rich Hill, but it sounded good, didn't it?)

Grab him if he's there, fella. :)

4256 Hits
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
My head hurts to trying to understand it also. I had many doubts that he would have success at the MLB level but I am slowing becoming a believer. I still need to see 200-250 at bats to believe his will be a very good player long term. If he can keep close to this up after teams get a scouting report on him I will believe that he is for real.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-19-2007, 10:10 PM
He's now leading the team in BA, HR and RBI. I sure didn't see it coming.

lo ryder
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
It's called natural born ability.... and it looks like he passes most.

fisch11
04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
What's crazy about Hamilton is that fact that he's only played A ball. We've seen guys like Brandon Larson and EE tear it up in AAA, and then WAIT for them to come around in the bigs. Yet, Hambone just struts in and does his thing. I can't comprehend it, but I love it.

George Anderson
04-20-2007, 12:58 AM
I nominate Will Ferrel to play Josh is the upcoming made for TV movie!!

Team Clark
04-20-2007, 01:25 AM
The really interesting thing about watching Hamilton is that he's not even really hitting the ball very hard. He's actually missing the sweet spot quite a bit and seems to catch himself drifting occasionally. Just goes to show you when you COMPLETELY embrace a balanced stance and approach, trust your hands and look for certain zones in certain counts....you can RAKE at the big league level. His hand speed and patience is flat out stunning. Wait 'til he puts it all together. Simply amazing.

I also like the fact that he puts ZERO pressure on himself as far as BASEBALL is concerned. The game is just FUN. He has nothing to prove to anybody in his mind from what I read and hear him say. Just stay clean, show up and play. Simply incredible. I personally have learned some great lessons about perspective just being a fan of Hamilton.

Cedric
04-20-2007, 01:28 AM
The really interesting thing about watching Hamilton is that he's not even really hitting the ball very hard. He's actually missing the sweet spot quite a bit and seems to catch himself drifting occasionally. Just goes to show you when you COMPLETELY embrace a balanced stance and approach, trust your hands and look for certain zones in certain counts....you can RAKE at the big league level. His hand speed and patience is flat out stunning. Wait 'til he puts it all together. Simply amazing.

Spot on of course. His hands are flat out amazing. He leads with his hands and he doesn't jerk his body. Just brilliant approach.

Team Clark
04-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Spot on of course. His hands are flat out amazing. He leads with his hands and he doesn't jerk his body. Just brilliant approach.

Phillips had it dialed in last spring. Now he's lifting BIG time. He almost has the Kearns "sheer" uppercut. I have faith that he can recapture that swing. Only takes one good cut for it to start coming back.

AtomicDumpling
04-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Hamilton's swing just looks effortless. His hand/eye coordination must be so lightning quick because he makes it look so easy. He doesn't take big rips. He is always perfectly balanced.

I was at the game tonight and was extremely impressed by him. He crushed a ball down the left field line that missed going out by a foot. I don't think that ball was ever more than 20 feet off the ground. Just a screaming line drive -- THE OPPOSITE WAY!

I have seen many players get hot for a short time and then sink back into oblivion (David Ross), but I think Hamilton is the real deal. A pure baseball player. His raw talent is just amazing. If he stays sober and healthy he could be manning center field in the All Star game as soon as this year and for the next decade as well.

I haven't been this excited about a young Red since Eric Davis. The only thing I am afraid of with Hamilton is that he will relapse and go on a binge of drugs, booze and women. Keep him away from Odell Thurman and Chris Henry.

Razor Shines
04-20-2007, 02:46 AM
I think we're all feeling pretty much the same way about him, and we're right. Because A, AA and AAA do matter, they do.......to most people. Then there are the extremely few who have been blessed with extraordinary ability. I fully believe that Josh is one of these and everyone knows it the first time they see him play, you're not sure why at first, but he demands your attention when he's playing. And then he does something amazing and you know why you're watching. Like others I have rarely felt like that.

redsrule2500
04-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah, it's amazing, simply amazing. I love it !!

TexRed
04-20-2007, 06:32 AM
He's got a short quick swing, which gets his bat in the zone quickly. Got to remember, this kid was the number one overall pick in the 1998 draft. The Devil Rays wrestled between the 2 Josh's, Beckett and Hamilton. The month prior to the draft, Beckett bleached his hair blond, which a very informed source told me, soured the Devil Ray's brass on him and convinced them that Hamilton was their man. Hamilton was an equally good pitcher in high school, but the Rays wanted his bat. Lastly, no one has a book on Hamilton yet and his weaknesses reference hitting. The more ABs he gets, the more data goes in the book, allowing opposing pitchers to work a little smarter with him.

RFS62
04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
He's the prodigal son.

How can you not root for him, no matter who he plays for?

aodaniel
04-20-2007, 07:06 AM

I think he is different from Wily Mo because Josh has a great eye and can hit a curve ball. My main concern is that after Hamilton accumulates enough at bats and pitchers can look at the film, they'll figure a few things out and he'll be brought back into check. Hopefully not, because he is quickly becoming my favorite Red, but I gotta be reasonable about it.

Edit: Just saw TexRed comments that mirror my own....didn't mean to steal your thoughts.

SunDeck
04-20-2007, 07:08 AM
No one knows him yet. If he's still doing this 80 games into the season then I'll be convinced.

RollyInRaleigh
04-20-2007, 08:07 AM
My son, Matt was watching Hamilton last night. He looked at me and said, "Daddy, he does everything that you tell me to do. When it's outside, he goes to left, and when it's inside, he rips it. He has really quick hands and a lot of bat speed. I think he trusts his hands. I think I have a new favorite player."

Very perceptive for a nine year old. I guess he has been listening. All I could say was, "Watch and learn, buddy."

Hamilton is an amazing player. So gifted. Really has a great idea of the strikezone and what he wants to do at the plate. When he swings at a bad pitch, I am truly amazed. One thing that I have noticed is his uncanny ability to wait on "that high outside pitch" and drive it the other way at the last minute. That is not an easy thing to do and a great tool to have in his arsenal.

That is something that I am trying to teach my son to do. Even now, the better pitchers that he faces are starting to pitch him on the outside half of the plate. It's a hard thing to master, but a great skill to have.

RFS62
04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
What makes his hand/bat speed so much more incredible is the fact that he swings a 34 ounce bat.

In today's game, you rarely see hitters swinging one that heavy, much less keeping his hands back as long as he does.

VR
04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
What makes his hand/bat speed so much more incredible is the fact that he swings a 34 ounce bat.

In today's game, you rarely see hitters swinging one that heavy, much less keeping his hands back as long as he does.

Nor flying around on a diamond like a young Mickey Mantle...in SIZE 19 shoes.

bucksfan2
04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
There isn't anything that he has dont this year that is unimpressive. He is using all of his god given talents to the maxium. His bat speed is amazing. His presence and plate knowledge is that of a seasoned veteran. He patrols the field like a gold golver already. The thing that I like about him the most is he looks like he is just having fun playing baseball.

I wonder how much Jr. has helped Hamilton out on this team? Both were labeled once in a decade type talent with the sky as the limit. Jr. has been through it all and is now on the downside of his career and has had to deal with the highs and lows of being a superstar. I wonder how much knowledge he is able to pass off to Hamilton as he goes through the season?

Far East
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
My wife is not really a baseball fan, she has tolerated my listening to mostly AM radio static-filled Reds' night games here in Maryland for nearly a half century.

But after hearing me describe Hamilton's history she has told me to be sure to call her into the TV room whenever it's Josh's turn to bat.

After his opposite field HR Thursday night on that late little flick of the bat she said, "They can't stop him, can they?"

RedLegSuperStar
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
We are almost 3 weeks in to the baseball season.. And If A-Rod wasn't hitting homeruns in every game I think the most talked about story would be Hamilton. Steve Phillips has got to be placing his foot in his mouth about now. Hamilton has some kind of crazy art at the plate. He has Wily Mo power, George Brett hitting ability for average, speed and defense like Griffey Jr.(90's).

Is it out of the question to think he could be an ROY? All-Star? MVP?

Whatever the case he went from needing to be on the roster to now needing to be in the line-up. But the sad thing is who sits? Freel just signed an extention and is playing steller ball. Dunn has got to be in there because he's our on base man. Griffey though sick is still a potent bat in the line up. Edwin at this point hasn't produced.. but he showed last season he was ready for the major league level and once he gets hot.. he's just like Dunn, Freel, and Griffey.

Redhook
04-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I am going to the game Saturday, I gotta and he is the reason why. :thumbup:

I'm going to the game too, tomorrow. I really hope Hamilton starts, but with Hamels pitching and Narroon managing, who knows what will happen? We already have to put up with Uncle Milty. It would be awful if we don't get to see Hamilton as well.

registerthis
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Their approach is ions apart from similar.

I hope their difference spans more than "ions". Which, honestly, wouldn't be very great, and would likely be undetectable to the human eye.

"Eons", perhaps? :)

joshnky
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
My main concern is that after Hamilton accumulates enough at bats and pitchers can look at the film, they'll figure a few things out and he'll be brought back into check. Hopefully not, because he is quickly becoming my favorite Red, but I gotta be reasonable about it.

I was thinking the same thing last night but even though little is known about his weaknesses these are still good pitchers he is facing. He has never in his life faced anywhere near this quality of pitching and yet he is still doing spectacular things. Sure, pitchers will certainly begin to learn how to pitch to him but at the same time Hamilton will learn how to hit these pitchers. The crazy thing is that he has not yet reached his potential as a player and he will become more complete with time.

Hopefully, his career will mirror that of Pujols, who put up a good season in A ball before coming up and surprising everyone by dominating major league pitching. Sometimes pure talent trumps everything else and I'm hoping this is the case with Josh.

PuffyPig
04-20-2007, 09:44 AM

Good point, but there is some difference.

Wily Mo did not provide any bat discipline with his hot start. He was power depentent.

Also, Hamilton's skills are so much better than Pena's ever were. But you post is a good reminder.

membengal
04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I was traveling last night for work, and was getting updates from my brother (which was fine until the last update, then I told him he had wounded my soul), and when he called to update that Hamilton had gone deep again following up the early double, I went numb. Had the same reaction as everyone else. It is almost beyond comprehension.

If you all don't mind, since I still have not seen a highlight of it, where did he hit it and off of what type of pitch?

His power to all fields is remarkable.

Razor Shines
04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Well the only reason he doesn't use a 60 oz bat is because it would be too easy.

fisch11
04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I was traveling last night for work, and was getting updates from my brother (which was fine until the last update, then I told he had wounded my soul), and when he called to update that Hamilton had gone deep again following up the early double, I went numb. Had the same reaction as everyone else. It is almost beyond comprehension.

If you all don't mind, since I still have not seen a highlight of it, where did he hit it and off of what type of pitch?

His power to all fields is remarkable.

His double in the first inning was off the top of the left field wall on a outside breaking ball. The HR was a first pitch fastball inside that he just turned loose on and ripped into the right field seats.

Marc D
04-20-2007, 10:27 AM
His double in the first inning was off the top of the left field wall on a outside breaking ball. The HR was a first pitch fastball inside that he just turned loose on and ripped into the right field seats.

Into the RF bullpen actually but the point is correct, it was a shot not a cheapie. It was gone before the cameras could catch up. Check out the video of it on the Reds official site.

Pinch Hits
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Into the RF bullpen actually but the point is correct, it was a shot not a cheapie. It was gone before the cameras could catch up. Check out the video of it on the Reds official site.

Marty said the only question was "is it high enough?". He couldn't say it was gone fast enough, it was a true laser. The kid is great.

Chip R
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
You know what else doesn't make sense? Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor.

realreds1
04-20-2007, 11:08 AM
1. There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Josh Hamilton plays in Cincinnati.

2. Josh Hamilton is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

3. When Bruce Banner gets mad, he turns into the Hulk. When the Hulk gets mad, he turns into Josh Hamilton.

4. Josh Hamilton can slam a revolving door.

5. Josh Hamilton doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

6. When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Josh Hamilton.

7. If you want to send Josh Hamilton a letter, just write “Josh Hamilton” on the envelope and drop it in any mailbox. Don’t worry; he’ll get it.

8. Josh Hamilton eats coal and poops diamonds.

9. The last child who dressed up as Josh Hamilton for Halloween came home with three dozen 5-course gourmet meals, a 200 foot square block of the purest gold, and four human sacrifices. ( Editor’s note: I know who I am dressing up as for Halloween.)

10. Trains stop at a Josh Hamilton crossing.

Team Clark
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Another key note from the Grandfather of Baseball...:thumbup:

Seriously, swinging a 34 ounce stick is not all that easy. Dunn swings a 35 to 36 ounce bat and even he has to go to 34 by August. Larkin swung a 33 ounce bat and took BP with a donut on his bat.

bounty37h
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I am just sitting here watching the game and what he does should not be done by someone who has played as little as he has recently. My head cant comprehend it.

It doesnt make sense, but I am not the least bit surprised. I live in NC, right outside Raliegh, and had many opportunities to see him play bal lin high school, and knew he has a special talent, a talent that is pure and natural, and above most levels. I am glad to see his turnaround, and think the skies the limit for him from here on out. Go :hamilton: !!!!!!!!!!!!

TeamDunn
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Can he pitch? Just an inning or two? ;)

RedsManRick
04-20-2007, 12:03 PM

He's probably a better bet out of the pen than Cormier!

deltachi8
04-20-2007, 12:29 PM

He used to hit 97 on the gun.

BuckWoody
04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
At this rate he's going to replace Denorfia as the leader in amount of man-love given on RedsZone. ;)

He's definitley off to a wonderful start. Here's to hoping that we're talking about him and Pujols in the same breath a few years down the road. :beerme:

Degenerate39
04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
1. There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Josh Hamilton plays in Cincinnati.

2. Josh Hamilton is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

3. When Bruce Banner gets mad, he turns into the Hulk. When the Hulk gets mad, he turns into Josh Hamilton.

4. Josh Hamilton can slam a revolving door.

5. Josh Hamilton doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

6. When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Josh Hamilton.

7. If you want to send Josh Hamilton a letter, just write “Josh Hamilton” on the envelope and drop it in any mailbox. Don’t worry; he’ll get it.

8. Josh Hamilton eats coal and poops diamonds.

9. The last child who dressed up as Josh Hamilton for Halloween came home with three dozen 5-course gourmet meals, a 200 foot square block of the purest gold, and four human sacrifices. ( Editor’s note: I know who I am dressing up as for Halloween.)

10. Trains stop at a Josh Hamilton crossing.

Sounds like Chuck Norris jokes.

membengal
04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Those aren't jokes about Chuck Norris. Take that back.

And, I don't find anything remotely wrong about people taking a genuine pleasure in the gift to Reds fans that is Josh Hamilton's first three months with this club. Beyond refreshing...

Team Clark
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
At this rate he's going to replace Denorfia as the leader in amount of man-love given on RedsZone. ;)

He's definitley off to a wonderful start. Here's to hoping that we're talking about him and Pujols in the same breath a few years down the road. :beerme:

Looks like Deno really is turning into Brady Clark. Superman one day, Clark Kent the next. If this keeps up I will be forced to change my name to Team Hamilton. :laugh:

Spring~Fields
04-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I know it has been a pleasure to watch him play with the positive anticipation that he brings to the plate and in the field. It is nice to see someone doing well.

Natty Redlocks
04-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I nominate Will Ferrel to play Josh is the upcoming made for TV movie!!

Yuck; I say Jeremy Sisto

Matt700wlw
04-20-2007, 03:57 PM
No one knows him yet. If he's still doing this 80 games into the season then I'll be convinced.

Party pooper :)

Matt700wlw
04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Roy Hobbs is alive and well, and he plays in Cincinnati

That's it....I'm renting it this weekend.

membengal
05-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Bump.

Rather than start another Hamilton thread, simply wanted to find a place to note, again, that, well, wow. Beyond unreal.

Oh, and his defense says "hi" too...

lollipopcurve
05-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Let's see....

Maybe the league figured him out...then he adjusted...then the REAL test comes when the league figures out how he adjusted! Right...right...that's it...let's wait awhile till we say anything conclusive about him except that we can't say anything conclusive.

membengal
05-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Yup. The longer this lasts, the more likely the conclusion that, yes, maybe he is THAT good. Once-in-a-lifetime talent and all that...

membengal
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM

By the way doug, this is still just as relevant, a couple of weeks later...

VR
05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Good point, but there is some difference.

Wily Mo did not provide any bat discipline with his hot start. He was power depentent.

Also, Hamilton's skills are so much better than Pena's ever were. But you post is a good reminder.

I finally saw his two dingers from yesterday....and WMP can only dream of being the hitter that Hobbs currently is.

HR #1 was a pitch fading off the plate that he just laid the bat out on and let the barrel do the work. You can see by Fogg's reaction that he shouldn't have been able to do that with it.

#2 was just crazy. He literally starts his swing....then realized it's a nasty breaking ball. He holds up (34 oz mind you), adjusts, then let's the bat cruise through the zone...driving it 400 feet on a 2/3 swing.

Cigar2
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Yep, What Roy Hobbs Jr. er I mean Josh Hamilton is doing right now is AMAZING!!!!!
For he's been through he really on the bonus round of life.

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I can't remember the last time a ballplayer captivated my interest and love of the game the way Josh Hamilton has.

I feel like I'm a little kid again -- when I'm watching games, I'm literally sitting and counting how many batters until he comes back to the plate. I give the game my complete and undivided attention when he steps in, and I clap and cheer like a fool whenever he gets on base.

I root for him as a baseball fan, because I've seen and heard more people talking about Josh Hamilton who might never have given the game a second thought this summer. I root for him as a Reds fan, because its been far too long since this city had a superstar to call their own and player who made you believe in the impossible for 9 innings every night. And I root for him as a human being, because if Josh Hamilton can step back from the edge of darkness and bring 40,000 people to their feet with joy, there's hope for every one of us out there.

coachw513
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I hate Hamilton...he made me spend $160 getting a freakin' jersey with his name/number on it ;)

Seriously, ya think Tavares was a bit surprised when EE was waitin' on him like the dude in Major League for ole Willie Mays Hayes???..

He's a bonafide freak...may he always remember the source of his peace and accomplishment :thumbup:

membengal
05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I can't remember the last time a ballplayer captivated my interest and love of the game the way Josh Hamilton has.

I feel like I'm a little kid again -- when I'm watching games, I'm literally sitting and counting how many batters until he comes back to the plate. I give the game my complete and undivided attention when he steps in, and I clap and cheer like a fool whenever he gets on base.

I root for him as a baseball fan, because I've seen and heard more people talking about Josh Hamilton who might never have given the game a second thought this summer. I root for him as a Reds fan, because its been far too long since this city had a superstar to call their own and player who made you believe in the impossible for 9 innings every night. And I root for him as a human being, because if Josh Hamilton can step back from the edge of darkness and bring 40,000 people to their feet with joy, there's hope for every one of us out there.

Yup, on all points.

I think Eric Davis' arrival with the team was the last time I have felt this way. Every game, looking forward to the line-up, looking forward to seeing if he can keep my jaw agape one more time. 1987 and 1988 were magical years, if only for Davis' excellence.

Hamilton is getting to be like that for me. Shocking, in every respect.

TRF
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Yup, on all points.

I think Eric Davis' arrival with the team was the last time I have felt this way. Every game, looking forward to the line-up, looking forward to seeing if he can keep my jaw agape one more time. 1987 and 1988 were magical years, if only for Davis' excellence.

Hamilton is getting to be like that for me. Shocking, in every respect.

I felt this way the day of the KGJ press conference. I knew the Reds needed pitching way more than they needed Jr., but I couldn't stop smiling.

I feel the same way about Hamilton, but there is a guarded feeling to it. It's not like with Jr., waiting for the injury to happen. The hell KGJ has gone through is a million times worse IMO than what Hamilton went through. Jr. had some of his best years robbed from him doing what he loves. Hamilton walked through the gates of hell and ignored what he loves. I'm happy, no, I'm thrilled he's realized what thousands of people never do, that his family is what matters. Jr. never once lost that.

So, I'm thrilled watching Hamilton, but it's not that I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, it's that I know it is there.

RedEye
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Hamilton has been a saving grace for my interest in both Reds baseball and fantasy sports this year. People accused me of a homer pick in the 15th round... and he's been BY FAR the best player on my team.

registerthis
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
The hell KGJ has gone through is a million times worse IMO than what Hamilton went through.

I don't know about that. It sounds like Hamilton was near death on more than one occasion. What has happened to Junior is tremendously sad, but I don't think I'd put it up there with dying from a drug addiction.

sully_for_prez
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM

For me, it was Ken Griffey Junior for the better part of 1990's.

TRF
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't know about that. It sounds like Hamilton was near death on more than one occasion. What has happened to Junior is tremendously sad, but I don't think I'd put it up there with dying from a drug addiction.

The difference is Hamilton walked into that willingly. Jr. was denied the ability to do what he loves. He's got four brass screws in his leg holding his hamstring to the bone. He was booed for PLAYING THE GAME! Hamilton smoked crack. I know what drugs can do to a person and a family, but we must never forget he did this to himself.

No, IMO what Jr. has endured as a Red is far worse. Hamilton is at his stage of addiction where it is all choice. He can choose to remain clean. It's about will. 10 years from now, Jr's legs will hurt when it's cold, if they don't already. He's had to alter his diet because of his intestinal problem. And now pleurisy.

But for trying to be on the field all he gets are boos when he gets hurt.

The single greatest player I have ever seen spanning 30 years of watching baseball, and people boo him.

How will fans react if Hamilton relapses?

registerthis
05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
The difference is Hamilton walked into that willingly. Jr. was denied the ability to do what he loves.

You'll forgive me if I fail to make a distinction between what was voluntary and what was not (the topic of the "voluntary" part of a drug addiction being left for another time...)

Regardless of what Junior or Hamilton chose/did not choose to do, the fact remains that Hamilton was in a state at or near death on multiple occasions during the last several years. That he was largely responsible for his situation does not negate the seriousness of his experience.

I simply can't place a hamstring or knee injury--no matter how painful or devastating, no matter who unforseen--on the same level as a near-fatal drug addiction. The greatest threat Junior faced was the loss of his passion. Hamilton faced the loss of his life. I can't compare the two situations beyond that.

RFS62
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Everything's relative. And, it's not a competition.

They both suffered in their own way.

But Hamilton's story is infinitely more compelling, IMO. And noting that doesn't minimize Junior's problems in any way.

registerthis
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
But Hamilton's story is infinitely more compelling, IMO. And noting that doesn't minimize Junior's problems in any way.

Right, and I wasn't in anyway trying to downplay what Junior's gone through, or how it has affected him. Not in the least.

My only point is that Junior's and Hamilton's trials exist on different plateaus--the two aren't really comparable.

TRF
05-07-2007, 05:38 PM
You'll forgive me if I fail to make a distinction between what was voluntary and what was not (the topic of the "voluntary" part of a drug addiction being left for another time...)

Regardless of what Junior or Hamilton chose/did not choose to do, the fact remains that Hamilton was in a state at or near death on multiple occasions during the last several years. That he was largely responsible for his situation does not negate the seriousness of his experience.

I simply can't place a hamstring or knee injury--no matter how painful or devastating, no matter who unforseen--on the same level as a near-fatal drug addiction. The greatest threat Junior faced was the loss of his passion. Hamilton faced the loss of his life. I can't compare the two situations beyond that.

I can somewhat. Hamilton walked into a Hell of his own making. It's one I am familiar with. Jr.'s I cannot imagine. I cannot imagine the pain of muscle being ripped from my bones. I cannot imagine torn up knees and shoulders. I cannot imagine people booing me for trying to succeed at my profession but getting hurt in the process.

The road back from addiction is long and never ending, but physically, it's a pretty short trip. Hamilton was on deaths door from all accounts, but once he DECIDED to get clean, all that remains is the temptation. Physically he might never show signs of what the addiction did to him.

Last year if you looked closely at Jr. at some point during nearly every game he played, you could see blood on his leg. He leaked blood where his screws were inserted.

I'm a huge Hamilton fan, but the rehab differences between the two of them I guess cannot be compared. I do know this: I don't in the least bit ever feel sorry for Josh Hamilton. I feel sorry for what he put his family through. But despite the fact that I know KGJ makes millions, I doo feel sorry for him and what he's endured.

GOREDSGO32
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Can a player win rookie of the year and comeback player of the year somehow? He deserves it at this point.

Yachtzee
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
You know what else doesn't make sense? Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor.

http://www.needtovent.com/reviews/South_Park/Chewbacca_Defense/Chewbacca_Defense.jpg

Handofdeath
05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I cannot imagine the pain of muscle being ripped from my bones. I cannot imagine torn up knees and shoulders. I cannot imagine people booing me for trying to succeed at my profession but getting hurt in the process.

I imagine it feels pretty similar pain-wise to how a ruptured spleen would feel. The booing? I would imagine it would be pretty close to how your best friend would sound as he yells " How could you play softball all evening with your gut hurting like that you dumbass! "

TRF
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
because I'm a gamer.

RedRage
05-08-2007, 07:11 PM
...and on the 7th day, Josh Hamilton rested.

Handofdeath
05-08-2007, 08:21 PM
because I'm a gamer.

That would have looked really good on a tombstone.

Handofdeath
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
http://www.needtovent.com/reviews/South_Park/Chewbacca_Defense/Chewbacca_Defense.jpg

I have a "friend" who makes really good Kashyyyk brownies.:devil: