PDA

View Full Version : Was the play at home last night actually somewhat close??!

redsrule2500
04-21-2007, 03:11 PM
It looked as though (when watching the replay on reds.com) the play was actually fairly close, as we see Javier trip over the catcher.

Was this the case?! That would have been crazy if he trotted home, only to be out!!!!!

Just wondering!

UC_Ken
04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Not really.

When the ball went through Javy started jogging in with his hands up. The catcher was still staying with the play so it seemed like Javy picked up his pace. The ball got to the plate when Javy was about two steps past the plate.

Me and my friend believe that if the catcher had faked Javy, and just stood there like their was no play, Javy wouldn't have picked up his pace and the Phillies would have had a great shot at him at the plate.

Redsland
04-21-2007, 03:31 PM
FWIW, on his blog (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/), Fay says
The play at plate was relatively close with Valentin running.

redsrule2500
04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Me and my friend believe that if the catcher had faked Javy, and just stood there like their was no play, Javy wouldn't have picked up his pace and the Phillies would have had a great shot at him at the plate.

That would have been CRAZY. Talk about needing to hustle on every play

RedFanAlways1966
04-21-2007, 04:05 PM
How about celebrating after you touch the plate?

And as Fred Merkel would tell the other runners (Freel & Dunn), make sure you guys touch 2nd and 3rd base too.

Marc D
04-21-2007, 04:12 PM
It was a rocket shot to a LF playing very shallow. Javy is slow to start with and started jogging with his arms in the air.

I'd have to watch it again but I distinctly remember thinking a really good throw would have had him.

Spring~Fields
04-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I think the play might have looked closer than it really was. Javy could have really lowered the boom on that catcher and his partial block of the plate, he had mercy on him or it was not as close as we might have thought.

MaineRed
04-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I disagree Springfield. The left fielder was playing so far in that he was ALMOST like another infielder. It was a close play at the plate and it would have been even closer had the Philly catcher caught the ball.

I can't really fault Javy. He does need to be more aware of what is going on, such as the drawn in OF but how often has a guy been on third and then had to deal with a play at the plate on a basehit? You can usually walk in from third.

Reds Freak
04-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Keep in mind too that the bases were loaded right? All the catcher had to do was step on the plate. He didn't need to apply the tag...

jmac
04-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Keep in mind too that the bases were loaded right? All the catcher had to do was step on the plate. He didn't need to apply the tag...

Excellent point !

Reds Freak
04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
They just showed the replay on the pregame from a birds eye view and it wasn't anywhere as close as it might have looked live.

jmac
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
They just showed the replay on the pregame from a birds eye view and it wasn't anywhere as close as it might have looked live.
It was closer than it should have been.

Unassisted
04-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I saw Valentin look back after tripping over the catcher Ruiz. I wondered if the look he gave might signify some ill will there with Ruiz having his foot on the center of the plate as Javy strolled in.

membengal
04-21-2007, 06:54 PM
If that had been EE on 3b acting like Javy did, Narron may have had him killed...

jmac
04-21-2007, 08:20 PM
If that had been EE on 3b acting like Javy did, Narron may have had him killed...
JN pulled him and played him the next night and some people act like JN treated him like garbage or something.

WVPacman
04-22-2007, 12:35 AM
How about celebrating after you touch the plate?

And as Fred Merkel would tell the other runners (Freel & Dunn), make sure you guys touch 2nd and 3rd base too.

Exactly!!