PDA

View Full Version : Ross has hit rock bottom

as_v_1
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow...I..I just don't know what else to say..wow. This guy is not even in a slump anymore its beyond that. Maybe we can get Pedro Cerrano to sacrifice a live chicken or something.

RedEye
04-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I think we all knew the other shoe was going to drop with this guy. I'm just not sure we knew it was such a heavy shoe. Or something like that.

that_guy
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I never knew there was such a thing as a Tailor-made Triple Play, but David Ross somehow discovered it...

rotnoid
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
. Maybe we can get Pedro Cerrano to sacrifice a live chicken or something.

He's busy selling car insurance. Maybe we can substitute Jose Rijo and a goat.

Joseph
04-21-2007, 10:06 PM
He's busy selling car insurance. Maybe we can substitute Jose Rijo and a goat.

Jose Rijo seems like a better option to get a hit right now.

alloverjr
04-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Jose Rijo seems like a better option to get a hit right now.

So does the goat.

Newman4
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
They could throw it up there 70 mph on the outside corner and he wouldn't hit it they way he is pulling off the ball.

TeamEncarnacion
04-21-2007, 10:30 PM
So does the goat.

and a beatup old delorean

goreds2
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Furball may have been correct during the offseason. They should have traded Ross who's trade value was excellent then kept LaRue. :dunno:

Spring~Fields
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Ross looks incredibly lost. I don't recall seeing anyone so .........I don't even know what to call it. I wonder if they have checked his vision seriously. He struggled in spring training also didn't he?

KittyDuran
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Not a very popular notion... but I'll except his struggles offensively, if he keeps the starting pitchers in line [which he seems to be doing]. Actually, the whole team is hitting rock bottom against southpaws so far this year. Tonight's performance was pathetic...:thumbdown

UC_Ken
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I knew he cooled off last year but Marty said he was .200 after the break last year, I didn't realize it was that bad. He didn't have any track record before then. The numbers scream career year last year. If we're serious about winning this season, and I'm not sure we should go all out this year, then we need to trade for a catcher quickly. I have no problem with an offensively challenged catcher but if you can't hit you better be a difference maker behind the plate and Ross isn't.

Jim
04-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Maybe this is why Kriv kept Chad Moeller around. Can we start a rumor that Joe Mauer is available?

WMR
04-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I couldn't help it... when Ross hit into that triple play I started cracking up.

tbball10
04-22-2007, 12:24 AM
I couldn't help it... when Ross hit into that triple play I started cracking up.

as did i wilymo lol... i just got through saying i hope ross busts out of it with a 3-run bomb before he struck down my hopes with that "tailor-made" triple play.

Ravenlord
04-22-2007, 12:31 AM
i don't think i've ever seen a hitter on as bad a fall as Ross. that said, if i had all of Ross' PAs to this point, i'm pretty sure i'd have a higher OBP than him at this point.

gilpdawg
04-22-2007, 01:01 AM

I was happy. Because in 30 years when this team is forgotten about, I'll be able to tell my grandchildren I saw a triple play in person.

Caveat Emperor
04-22-2007, 01:53 AM

I laughed, only because I joked with my friends at the game earlier this week that David Ross was the only player in baseball that could hit into a double play with nobody on base.

savafan
04-22-2007, 02:53 AM
In Ross' defense...wait, that's not very good either...

Ravenlord
04-22-2007, 02:57 AM
In Ross' defense...wait, that's not very good either...

yeah...couple that with the fact that LaRue's 453 OPS is 185 points higher than Ross' and well....

mth123
04-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Not a very popular notion... but I'll except his struggles offensively, if he keeps the starting pitchers in line [which he seems to be doing]. Actually, the whole team is hitting rock bottom against southpaws so far this year. Tonight's performance was pathetic...:thumbdown

I agree completely. Problem is the team was built with the idea that Ross would be the 4th power source (behind Dunn, EdE and Griffey). Now its looking like Hamilton, but its pretty hard to get all 4 in there at the same time.

If EdE, Dunn and Griffey get going and somehow Hamilton can be on the field too, Ross' bat won't be a major problem. If those guys don't hit, Ross' bat probably won't matter.

I'd like to see him start hitting, but if he keeps the starting pitchers going, its down the list of things to worry about with this team right now.

KittyDuran
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
In years past with Larue, whenever he would go into a hitting funk... his defense (esp. throwing out runners) would be trotted out as a reason to keep playing him... in the hopes that he would break out offensively. Taubensee, IIRC, was pretty much kept for his hitting, so when he would go into a funk... it was :bang: - Ross seems to be the opposite of Eddie.

redsfanmia
04-22-2007, 09:00 AM
i don't think i've ever seen a hitter on as bad a fall as Ross. that said, if i had all of Ross' PAs to this point, i'm pretty sure i'd have a higher OBP than him at this point.

No you wouldnt.

Cant Touch This
04-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I feel badly for the guy. He has to be pressing so hard right now and I can only imagine that the pressure looms above him off the field, as well. I hope for his sake he pulls out of this. I mean, just when it seems it couldn't get worse, he had to ground into the triple play - it's almost comical how unfair that is. He actually hit the ball pretty hard and his reward was about as bad as it gets. Hang in there DR.

savafan
04-22-2007, 01:50 PM
No you wouldnt.

As someone who used to pitch to Ravenlord, let me say don't count him out. ;)

savafan
04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Question:

Did Javy Lopez retire, or is he an unsigned free agent?

chicoruiz
04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Only one thing will help....David Ross has to go into the dryer, pronto...:dancingco

redsrule2500
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Furball may have been correct during the offseason. They should have traded Ross who's trade value was excellent then kept LaRue. :dunno:

Crazy, but correct. I was a huge Ross supporter, and I completely dropped the ball in my virtual 'I control the Reds transactions' game I play in my head.:bang:

fearofpopvol1
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I really feel like Ross can be successful again, but he needs to work with Jacoby. I think more than discipline is his swing. It's just so lazy. He definitely has power and the speed is quick, but it's just a lazy swing.

Ravenlord
04-22-2007, 09:39 PM
No you wouldnt.

wanna bet? identifying balls and strikes was my strong point. however, actually hitting said strikes is where it would be problematic. but if you give me waist high fastballs or hanging breaking balls, i'm going to kill it.

George Anderson
04-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Only one thing will help....David Ross has to go into the dryer, pronto...:dancingco

Memories of Davey Concepcion :D

justincredible
04-24-2007, 10:39 PM
David Ross - Making Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams since mid-2006...

Dunner44
04-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Aaron Harang, the worst hitting pitcher of all time (maybe this is hyperbole, but its not far from the truth) and his .100 BA says hello. :wave:

kbrake
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I usually get mad when someone is going like this and at the beginning I was with Ross. Honestly, right now though I just feel bad for the guy. As I type this I am confident he is going to get a hit. Its the 7th inning so you know what AB I am talking about and no matter what I am not going to hit backspace base hit!!!!!!!!!! Told ya.

BurgervilleBuck
04-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Let's hope that hit is the start of something good.

Natty Redlocks
04-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I tried but I'm unable to keep from pointing out that this makes Ross 3 for 3 in catching good starts by Harang. It would be great if he started hitting but his effect on the starting pitching appears to be huge.

justincredible
04-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Ross with a 2-5 night and an RBI. Is this what he needed to get his head clear and finally start hitting the ball? Stay tuned...

TOBTTReds
04-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Ross with a 2-5 night and an RBI. Is this what he needed to get his head clear and finally start hitting the ball? Stay tuned...

Maybe. Certainly got a good swing on the last one.

AmarilloRed
04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
He may not be as good as he was last year, but he will improve from where he is now. .230 with 15 hrs is not impossible.

Guacarock
04-25-2007, 02:43 AM
At last tally, Reds pitchers had posted a 3.07 ERA with Ross behind a plate vs. a 5.37 ERA with Valentin catching. While the number of games played to date is small, that's still a huge and significant difference in CERA.

As long as Ross can contribute at this level with his game-calling and handling of the pitchers, he should remain the primary catcher, with Valentin relegated to a backup role as the relief catcher and a pinch-hitter.

Mind you, I'm not defending Ross' hitting. So far this season, you would have to judge him as being more bench-like than Bench-like. Hopefully, he can soon demonstrate some power and clutch situational hitting like he did in the first half of 2006 when he effectively wrested the job away from Jason Larue.

For now, I'm inclined to cut Ross some slack. As I recall, Larue used to always take a month or two to warm up and find his groove at the plate. Then Larue would explode and carry the team through the dog days of summer -- and there were always plenty of dog days back then, with the Reds seemingly vying with the Pirates and Cubs for permanent status as cellar dwellers.

We are not yet out of the woods, and neither is Ross. The verdict's still out on whether he's a wooden batter or someone who can occasionally flash some Wood.

For now, he's our best in-house option to squat for the Reds. Over the long haul, that might mean something, it might mean squat or it might be cause to raise a ruckus and a red (Red?) flag. Time will tell.

redsfanmia
04-25-2007, 07:19 AM
wanna bet? identifying balls and strikes was my strong point. however, actually hitting said strikes is where it would be problematic. but if you give me waist high fastballs or hanging breaking balls, i'm going to kill it.

Im sure you would "kill" major league waist hight fastballs and hanging breaking balls.