PDA

View Full Version : Free agency thought for 2008...

mroby85
04-21-2007, 10:08 PM
this is just a thought, the team has an option on adam dunn, and andruw jones is a free agent after this season. what would you think about letting dunn go, and adding andruw jones? this would make your defense absolutely stellar if you put hamilton, jones, and freel in the same outfield, and it would also bring that right handed bat in, instead of a lefty, which would make that nice. i know its probably not likely, but just a thought.

Joseph
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
No no no.

Jones is on the wrong side of the hill as far as defensive CFers go. See Griffey Jr, Ken.

CTA513
04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I would rather go younger than older.

alloverjr
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
this is just a thought, the team has an option on adam dunn, and andruw jones is a free agent after this season. what would you think about letting dunn go, and adding andruw jones? this would make your defense absolutely stellar if you put hamilton, jones, and freel in the same outfield, and it would also bring that right handed bat in, instead of a lefty, which would make that nice. i know its probably not likely, but just a thought.

I don't know what Jones will command on the market but I can't imagine he comes cheap. I don't know if he fits the Reds budget. Also, I think people are jumping on the Hamilton wagon a little prematurely. Great story and I try and catch his at bats to see if he can continue, but let the league see him before penciling him in as a cornerstone for the future. I don't like Freel. Hell, we could have an entirely different OF if I were GM. :)

reds44
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
If the Reds are going after a CFer in free agency, you can bet it's going to be Torii Hunter.

Redsland
04-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Or Kirby Puckett.

rotnoid
04-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Or Kirby Puckett.

I'm not sure he's old enough, or alive enough. ;)

TeamEncarnacion
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
If the Reds are going after a CFer in free agency, you can bet it's going to be Torii Hunter.

the general manager likes twins players for some reason

Redsland
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure he's old enough, or alive enough. ;)

Oh crap. I forgot about that. Sorry all. (Damn wine.)

mroby85
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
i would much rather have andruw jones that torii hunter, this team needs an adequate right handed bat, in my opinion. not saying it has to be andruw jones, but i think he would do the job, and could play some good defense, not all players careers end like ken griffey jr. See Barry Bonds.

reds44
04-21-2007, 10:39 PM
i would much rather have andruw jones that torii hunter, this team needs an adequate right handed bat, in my opinion. not saying it has to be andruw jones, but i think he would do the job, and could play some good defense, not all players careers end like ken griffey jr. See Barry Bonds.
No, you did not just say that.

Not every player takes steroids either.

Joseph
04-21-2007, 10:46 PM
So you think Bonds is just as good defensively now as he was pre-early 30's?

mroby85
04-21-2007, 10:47 PM
but griffey is the exception to the rule, with his career basically ending around the age of 32 or 33, i was just going to the other extreme, andruw jones isn't that old. he actually just turns 30 on april 23 of this month.

UC_Ken
04-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Did Griffey's defense decline because of age or injury? I'm sure it's a combination of both but I imagine that injury had more to do with it than age. Players have played CF effectively into their late 30's. I'd be interested in Jones on a 4 year deal, but I imagine someone will go to 6 with him.