PDA

View Full Version : Triple play

Redlegs
04-22-2007, 09:58 AM
After years of attending Reds games, I witnessed my first triple play. That got me wondering if anyone has witnessed a no hitter or something out of the norm.

I've now seen a triple play and one brawl (Paul Wilson vs. Kyle Farnsworth).

My biggest moment was 9/11/85 with Pete's #4192. I was a junior in high school.

redsmetz
04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
After years of attending Reds games, I witnessed my first triple play. That got me wondering if anyone has witnessed a no hitter or something out of the norm.

I've now seen a triple play and one brawl (Paul Wilson vs. Kyle Farnsworth).

My biggest moment was 9/11/85 with Pete's #4192. I was a junior in high school.

Last night was my first triple play - and I didn't like it at all!

Way back in the 70's, a buddy and I traveled to Chicago to see the Cubbies play the Dodgers. A brawl broke out. Later that season, we dropped down to St. Louis to see the Cards and Dodgers play (just a coincidence on the opponents). Again, another brawl broke out. Silly thing, those brawls are.

I almost went to Tom Seavers no no.

Redlegs
04-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I almost went to Tom Seavers no no.
I was supposed to be at Seaver's 3000th strikeout game against the Cardinals. I was a 6th grade school crossing guard. All crossing guards got to go the the Reds game, but I missed the bus. I ended up watching the Rangers and Yankees on the Saturday game of the week. :(

redsfanfalcon
04-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I was also at last night's game...as soon as that ball was hit, I thought, "Oh no..." It was hit perfectly, with the perfect runner running to first.
I was at Nolan Ryan's 3000th strikeout...I was only five, but my dad caught a ball that Nolan Ryan pitched and Ray Knight hit. Kind of cool...then he gave it to me, and I still have it.

Bob Winters
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I saw Astros pitcher Danny Darwin buzz Dave Parker in a game at Riverfront in the late '80s. Parker charged the mound. Both benches cleared. Parker was ejected, Tracy Jones came in for him... and -- if memory serves me -- after a pitch came in too tight, he, too was ejected for nearly starting a fight. Good times.

HotCorner
04-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I was also at last night's game...as soon as that ball was hit, I thought, "Oh no..." It was hit perfectly, with the perfect runner running to first.

Me too. :thumbup:

membengal
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I was supposed to be at Seaver's 3000th strikeout game against the Cardinals. I was a 6th grade school crossing guard. All crossing guards got to go the the Reds game, but I missed the bus. I ended up watching the Rangers and Yankees on the Saturday game of the week. :(

The crossing guard game! I was at that game (5th grade crossing guard at Westwood Elementary) and still have my certificate they made available later in the week commenerating the 3000th K (had to take your ticket stub to the old 580 Gift Shop).

redsmetz
04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
The crossing guard game! I was at that game (5th grade crossing guard at Westwood Elementary) and still have my certificate they made available later in the week commenerating the 3000th K (had to take your ticket stub to the old 580 Gift Shop).

Yes, I went to those to back in the sixties - my buddies egged me into asking for a couple of girl crossing guards phone numbers. I gave them the one, kept the other for myself and she ended up being the first girl I ever kissed (not at the game - I do have my priorities!).

RedFanAlways1966
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I had never seen a triple play in person or live on TV until the Ross 5-4-3 triple play. A game I attended when I was 15 and will never forget (sitting in row 6 behind the Tigers 3rd base dugout) was the only game I ever saw at Tigers Stadium.

June 2, 1981
Brewers at Tigers

Lynn Jones was playing outfield for the Tigers that night and had a single when he led off the bottom of the 1st for the Tigers. He eventually scored on a Steve Kemp triple. His next at-bat in the 2nd inning he was knocked to the ground by a high-and-inside fastball.

The first batter for the Brewers in the top of the 3th was Ben Ogilvie. The first pitch was from a guy just called up and in his first MLB season, George Cappuzzello (once in the REDS organization). George had come into the game w/ 2 outs in the 1st inning when starter Dan Petry got rocked for 5 runs by the Brewers. As a payback for the Jones knock down (although not HBP) Cappuzzello beaned Ogilvie in the helmet with a fastball. It hit him so hard the ball bounced all the way to the 3rd base coach. Ogilvie got up and charged the mound. He took Cappuzzello down and spiked him in the head with his cleats! Cappuzzello had to be taken off on a stretcher (like they do for soccer players) and had blood pouring out of his face. He ended up getting 10-15 stitches in his face. I couldn't believe it... the beaning was wicked enough, but then to see a guy get his head cut open by the beaned player's cleat during the brawl.

www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET198106020.shtml

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
The first batter for the Brewers in the top of the 3th was Ben Ogilvie.

HAHA havent heard that name in 15 years.

We used to make fun of this poor (rich) guy all the time because of a popular commercial of the time.

This really dates me but it was like:

"Salon perm?"

"No! Ogilve home perm!"

Well you get the idea... :help: