PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs?

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Anybody watching this? The Pacers aren't in so I haven't really watched many games very closely, except the Magic and Pistons games. That's because Grant Hill has always been one of my favorite players and I'm glad to see him healthy and I like JJ Redick.

I was very surprised to see the Nuggets beat the Spurs, but I think the Spurs will still win that series fairly easily.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll watch the Cavs, but I have no interest in this first series vs. the Wizards because it shouldn't even be close.

TeamSelig
04-23-2007, 08:18 PM
JJ doesn't play though. Kinda surprised by that actually. I thought he'd log in alot of minutes this year.

I was surprised by the Spurs and Mavs both losing. For those who like to watch the "team oriented" basketball, it seems as if its changing back.

Mavs vs Warriors
Mav's play decent team ball, same for GS

Jazz vs. Rockets
Jazz play pretty well all together. Rockets are more of a two man team, but its better than just one, I guess.

Spurs vs. Nuggets
Spurs are definitely a team oriented team. Nuggets however are a two man show

Suns vs. Lakers
Suns are probably the best at distributing it to everyone. Lakers are anti-team oriented.

In the east:

Pistons vs. Magic
Pistons are one of the top team oriented teams. Magic is ok at it, no one really stands out completely.

Heat vs. Bulls
Heat have a two man show, slowly turning into one. Bulls are a good team oriented team.

Raptors vs. Nets
Raptors are decent at it, Nets are okay but mostly end up just giving it to Carter.

Cavs vs. Wizards
Both are one man shows. Yuck.

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
JJ doesn't play though. Kinda surprised by that actually. I thought he'd log in alot of minutes this year.

He got right before the season started and was out for a while and I think that hurt him. But when he came back he was getting some regular minutes, but in the first game of the playoffs he didn't play at all. I was kind of surprised by that, but he probably doesn't match up well against the Pistons.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Redick is a replaceable role player in the NBA, IMO. He has a hard time creating his own shot.

I've got the Suns and Pistons in the finals, btw.

TeamSelig
04-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Thats a pretty safe bet. I'm rooting for Suns v. Bulls.

WMR
04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm seriously considering shelling out the bucks it'll take--and it'll be expensive--to get some good cavs playoff tickets to reward myself for making it through 2L. Never been to an NBA playoff game.

TeamSelig
04-23-2007, 09:58 PM
WILY MO!

Chuck Hayes sighting. For Houston, he has 4 of their 8 points so far.

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I saw Kelenna on the bench last night for Golden State!! He looked happy. :)

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah Chuck looked like he had a good game in the first game as well, although I wasn't watching particularly closely.

Simply amazing what he has coaxed out of that 6'5" frame of his.

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Redick is a replaceable role player in the NBA, IMO. He has a hard time creating his own shot.

I've got the Suns and Pistons in the finals, btw.

It depends on how hard he wants to work. When Reggie Miller came into the league he was a replaceable role player. Shooting the basektball is something team's can always use. I think he's going to have a fine career, not a star or anything but a good player. Missing most of the season hurt his development this year. And I think that's why he's not playing in the playoffs.

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I think it's b/c he's a DOOKIE.

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Not only are you an Indiana fan, but a DUKE sympathizer as well?!?!

:barf:

jmac
04-23-2007, 10:54 PM
WILY MO!

Chuck Hayes sighting

Ahh....chuck brings back memories.
The kid wasnt from KY but he knew what the name on the jersey stood for !

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Too bad Tubby interpreted Chuck's time at UK to mean that ALL UK PF's had to be 6'5" :;DOH::

HotCorner
04-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Mavs and Pistons in the finals. :thumbup:

KGJR30
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I haven't kept up with the NBA in years, but this year I decided to. I absolutely love the Chicago Bulls and I think Luol Deng is going to be a BIG TIME player in a year or two. They are a long shot because the Pistons are good, but I'm really rooting for the Bulls.

Unassisted
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Mavs and Pistons in the finals. :thumbup:

Mavs have to get past Phoenix or San Antonio first. I don't see that as a lock. I'd prefer to see my hometown team or Phoenix represent the West in the Finals.

If Dirk doesn't play better than he did in Game 1, the Mavs won't get past Golden State. ;)

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Its a rule that I have to root for any team carrying Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston on their active roster.

TeamSelig
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I didn't realize Chuck Hayes was even in the NBA, let alone the Houston Rockets. I'm cheering for them now. Looks like he has a pretty big role on their team too.

As far as Kelenna, I truly believe he would have been a lottery pick had he waited to declare at least one more year.

WMR
04-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh Kelenna lost himself at least a few million dollars by pulling the stunt that he did, family reasons be damned.

TeamSelig
04-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Was that why he declared? I was pretty mad at him when it happened, as he was my favorite player and figured he would end up a franchise player in the NBA some day.

WMR
04-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah his dad was in prison and he got some REALLY BAD ADVICE that he could help his family out by going pro. At the end of the day, he didn't do SQUAT for his family, and would have done a BUNCH more for his family had he gone back for that one more year.

What did Tubby always say about Azubuike? "Look like Tarzan, Play like Jane?"
That was always his rap.

Razor Shines
04-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Not only are you an Indiana fan, but a DUKE sympathizer as well?!?!

:barf:

No I'm not a Duke sympathizer. I am a Duke fan!!

dabvu2498
04-24-2007, 08:15 AM
What did Tubby always say about Azubuike? "Look like Tarzan, Play like Jane?"
That was always his rap.

Also, "run like a deer, jump like a deer, think like a deer."

Its a rule that I have to root for any team carrying Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston on their active roster.

That's a good rule.

Roy Tucker
04-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I'll say a Suns in the west. I love the way Steve Nash plays basketball although Amare Stoudemire will be the key.

I think the Mavs have a tiny choke bone in their throat and may have a tussle on their hands with the Warriors.

I think the Rockets are the dark horse. Yao has made himself into a player.

Spurs are just a little old now.

Pistons in the east.

The Cavs may make a run if LeBron continues to show up for games.

I think the Bulls are where the Cavs were last year, i.e. gee look, we made it to the playoffs, whoa baby, this is intense.

dabvu2498
04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I think the Bulls are where the Cavs were last year, i.e. gee look, we made it to the playoffs, whoa baby, this is intense.

Only thing is, this is the Bulls' third straight playoff trip.

I'll go Cavs-Suns final. Suns in 5.

TeamSelig
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Honestly, I don't see the Cavs getting passed the Nets. And if they do, can they beat Miami/Chicago/Detroit?

dabvu2498
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Honestly, I don't see the Cavs getting passed the Nets. And if they do, can they beat Miami/Chicago/Detroit?

I see you don't think much of the Raptors and their 3 seed.

Cavs went 2-1 vs. the Nets during the regular season.

vs. Chi 2-2
vs. Det 1-3
vs. Mia 1-3

I just have this gut feeling that LeBron is going to will them to the finals.

TeamSelig
04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I didn't mean could they beat them. Obviously they can beat them, but in a series?

Miami, Detroit are different teams in the playoffs.

Oh and I've just had a gut feeling about the Nets upsetting the Raptors. I like them, but just feel like inexperience might hurt them in the playoffs. Plus, the Nets are playin good ball right now. It is also their last run. Carter will probably opt out in the off season and Kidd is declining more and more each year.

dabvu2498
04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
I didn't mean could they beat them. Obviously they can beat them, but in a series?

Miami, Detroit are different teams in the playoffs.

Oh and I've just had a gut feeling about the Nets upsetting the Raptors. I like them, but just feel like inexperience might hurt them in the playoffs. Plus, the Nets are playin good ball right now. It is also their last run. Carter will probably opt out in the off season and Kidd is declining more and more each year.

Agreed on the Raptors. But Chris Bosh is the next big thing, IMO. Too bad he plays for the Raptors.

I just get this feeling that the Cavs are going to take two big steps forward this year. There's no real logic to it. Wishful thinking.

Caveat Emperor
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the Rockets are the dark horse. Yao has made himself into a player.

Yao is a fun dude to watch. He has so many different moves -- quick power moves to the inside, pivot and fade shots, etc. Since he's been healthy, they've really been running the offense through him and its opened a lot of good looks from beyond the arc.

Roy Tucker
04-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Only thing is, this is the Bulls' third straight playoff trip.

I'll go Cavs-Suns final. Suns in 5.

What, didn't you hear what I was thinking when I wrote this? :)

What I meant was this was the first year (at least in my mind) that the Bulls can be taken half-way seriously in the playoffs (like the Cavs last year).

The Bulls previously were like the Magic this year, i.e. in the playoffs but not really *in* the playoffs.

Roy Tucker
04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Agreed on the Raptors. But Chris Bosh is the next big thing, IMO. Too bad he plays for the Raptors.

I just get this feeling that the Cavs are going to take two big steps forward this year. There's no real logic to it. Wishful thinking.

I would imagine Carter is getting quite the reception up in Toronto for his tank-job a few years back.

I'd like the Cavs to be moving forward. But I think they are wasting the Lebron years with the current surrounding cast. Besides James, the Cavs are a sub-par team.

The true battle is in the West. I'd only put the Pistons in the top 5 in the NBA and even then, they'd be #5 with the Mavs, Suns, Rockets, and Spurs ahead of them.

Razor Shines
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Well the Warriors should be proud of themselves for making it through almost two games before doing what they do best and melting down. A lot of talent and just as much stupidity on that team.

TeamSelig
04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Just caught bits and pieces, but was Baron really thrown out just for clapping? I understand the no complaining rule, but this is getting a little out of hand with this and the Duncan situation.

I also saw alot of bad calls, but I'll admit I didn't watch the whole game so I can't say weither or not it was called unfairly.

Also, guess I was wrong about Toronto.

dabvu2498
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Good blog entry about the Baron Davis incident: http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/baron-davis-loses-his-cool-warriors-lose-game-2-ar42847.html

When you've got his rep for immaturity, you've got to watch it, particularly when you've already got 1 T.

Roy Tucker
04-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Davis' act looked like a pretty obvious mocking of the ref to me. And like what dabvu said, when you've already got a T and a bad rep, you need to keep your mouth shut.

The Warriors had a melt-down. Stephen Davis got the boot as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended for a game after the way he mouthed off all the way off the court.

Razor Shines
04-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Davis' act looked like a pretty obvious mocking of the ref to me. And like what dabvu said, when you've already got a T and a bad rep, you need to keep your mouth shut.

The Warriors had a melt-down. Stephen Davis got the boot as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended for a game after the way he mouthed off all the way off the court.

Yeah, Davis was practically clapping in the refs face.

And I didn't see Stephen Davis at the game or that he was thrown out. :evil:

But yeah Stephen Jackson said some not very nice things to the ref as he was leaving the court. One of his teammates was trying to cover Jackson's mouth with a towel.

griffeyfreak4
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Mavs and Bulls in the finals. :thumbup:
Fixed it for ya!

Just you watch, Chicago will win. They are a way better team this year, and I think they have a legit chance to beat anyone.

They did win the season series agaisnt Detriot..................:cool:

EDIT: Notice the emphasis I put on TEAM, they have such good chemistry, and work so much better than any other team in the league, I got them in the finals against Dallas

Roy Tucker
04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
And I didn't see Stephen Davis at the game or that he was thrown out. :evil:

Whoopsy.

:doh:

WMR
04-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Mavs losing by 20 in game 3.

Still wonder if Golden State can win this series, but wow would I love to see the Mavs get bounced in the first round and get to hear little Marky-warky whine some more.

Razor Shines
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Mavs losing by 20 in game 3.

Still wonder if Golden State can win this series, but wow would I love to see the Mavs get bounced in the first round and get to hear little Marky-warky whine some more.

I guess the NBA is sending the message that the way to get the calls to go your way is to cuss at the refs get ejected and then refuse to leave the court so you can cuss at the refs some more. That was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen in a while. Very much in favor of the Golden State Warriors.

I'm no fan of the Lone Star State Mavericks either, but I'd love to have Mark Cuban own any franchise that I cheer for. I think he's the best owner in all of professional sports. But he does whine about the refs a lot.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
The Mavs might be looking at a swift exit. Warriors up 3-1 in this series now.

AmarilloRed
04-30-2007, 01:34 AM
The Suns are up3-1. The Lakers have them right where they want them!:help:

guttle11
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
If you're not watching TNT, you're missing a GREAT a game.

GS up by 3 with 2 minutes left.

Razor Shines
05-02-2007, 12:31 AM
How does Baron not get a technical there? He got right up in the refs face, the other night much less than that was getting techs against Dallas.

Razor Shines
05-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Well that's 2 losses and two ejections for Stephen Jackson. You stay classy San....Francisco.

guttle11
05-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Well, that was a stinker of an ending. All that buildup for GS to wuss out and shoot bad shots with the lead down the stretch.

Still a very good game.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Dirk came up huge in the last 3 minutes. Splashed the 3, got a big block, runs the court, hits another three, then proceeds to hit clutch free throws to give them the lead.

This is one of the best first round series I've ever seen.

WMR
05-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Stephen Jackson is a complete jackass.

Just a dumb, dumb, immature little man.

dabvu2498
05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
That was hard to watch... and fun to watch all in the same time.

HotCorner
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Great game! Dirk stepped up huge when needed. I can't wait for Thursday night!

jmac
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
The San Antonio Spurs:
The NBA version of the New England Patriots IMO
They let other teams grab the headlines yet just keep going out and gettin it done.

guttle11
05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
I was watching the Spurs an...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Unassisted
05-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Funny you should say that. There was an article in today's paper here about how local high school Bball coaches love holding the Spurs up as a shining example when they teach the value of defense and fundamentals. The article said that some of the kids they coach seem to prefer the flashier teams.

Now Spurs fans are hoping that the Lakers pull out the series against the Suns, so they can keep home court advantage in the next series.

Razor Shines
05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry but if you ejected twice the in the same series the you should be suspended for a game. I hope GS loses by 40 tonight.

NorrisHopper30
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry but if you ejected twice the in the same series the you should be suspended for a game. I hope GS loses by 40 tonight.

Won't happen, it's in Oakland tonight...and the Warriors are advancing to round 2 tonight.

Razor Shines
05-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Won't happen, it's in Oakland tonight...and the Warriors are advancing to round 2 tonight.

Yeah if Baron Davis keeps throwing in garbage all game. He's played out of his mind for this series. He's a terrible 3-point shooter, but he's been on fire for this series. They're not a good team, but they have a chance to win this series by playing way above their ability.

I don't like Dallas either, I don't think they are a true number one seed in the west. But I still think they'll pull this game out, I just don't believe Davis will play this well the whole game.

jmac
05-03-2007, 11:56 PM

Sorry you dozed off and missed their winning :)

jmac
05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah if Baron Davis keeps throwing in garbage all game. He's played out of his mind for this series. He's a terrible 3-point shooter, but he's been on fire for this series. They're not a good team, but they have a chance to win this series by playing way above their ability.

I don't like Dallas either, I don't think they are a true number one seed in the west. But I still think they'll pull this game out, I just don't believe Davis will play this well the whole game.
Gotta give a little credit to Don Nelson.

jmac
05-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Go Warriors.....

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Mark Cuban: "I KNEW I should have bought those solid gold toilet seats!!"

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Start the BUS, Start the BUS, Start the BUS, Start the BUS

Mutaman
05-04-2007, 01:09 AM
After listening to their reaction after losing in the finals last year, i decided that Dallas fans were the biggest whiners and crybabys in sports. i wonder if they're going to blame the officials for their loss to GS.

guttle11
05-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Those fans should have been chanting "overrated" as they rushed the floor. Missed opportunity.

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:18 AM
I KNOW I'm not the only one who spent more time watching that SMOKIN' HOT chick in that blue shirt courtside than I did the game.

DAMN.

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:19 AM
LOL How's that prediction that Dallas would win 3 straight after winning game 3, Chuck? :lol: :laugh: :laugh:

HumnHilghtFreel
05-04-2007, 01:22 AM
I KNOW I'm not the only one who spent more time watching that SMOKIN' HOT chick in that blue shirt courtside than I did the game.

DAMN.

:laugh:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to take note

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:24 AM
It looked like Mark Cuban threatened to slug the TNT cameraman after the game ended. :lol: :laugh:

WMR
05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
:laugh:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to take note

Seriously, I have trouble focusing on a game with scenery like that so imminently viewable on nearly every play! Even now on the highlights on Inside the NBA, LOL, my eyes are drawn to the same spot on every highlight. Hahahaha. :laugh:

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Gotta give a little credit to Don Nelson.

Don Nelson is a terrible coach, but so is Avery Johnson, IMO. I haven't watched them play much this year, but the Mavericks are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, I guess. I don't know how you can't beat a team that runs nothing but "spread" every time down the floor. And I love Mark Cuban, but Dirk is soft. The Mavs more handed them that one than anything.

GS played out of their minds again, it's an amazing win for them. I still don't think they are a good team. I don't see them shooting the ball like they did in that series for an extended run in the playoffs, I guess it's possible but not likely.

I love how Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis think they have to get up in a guy's face every time they think they are fouled somewhat hard. Grow up. And honestly the refs sent a clear message in that series: Cuss at the refs, get ejected and you'll get the calls. I in think that game and game 3 the Warriors got the benefit of most calls. But in the end the Mavs didn't show up the team, the coach nor it's super star.

ochoa30
05-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Don Nelson is a terrible coach, but so is Avery Johnson, IMO. I haven't watched them play much this year, but the Mavericks are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, I guess. I don't know how you can't beat a team that runs nothing but "spread" every time down the floor. And I love Mark Cuban, but Dirk is soft. The Mavs more handed them that one than anything.

GS played out of their minds again, it's an amazing win for them. I still don't think they are a good team. I don't see them shooting the ball like they did in that series for an extended run in the playoffs, I guess it's possible but not likely.

I love how Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis think they have to get up in a guy's face every time they think they are fouled somewhat hard. Grow up. And honestly the refs sent a clear message in that series: Cuss at the refs, get ejected and you'll get the calls. I in think that game and game 3 the Warriors got the benefit of most calls. But in the end the Mavs didn't show up the team, the coach nor it's super star.

This has to be the worst post about basketball i have ever read. Why are you so bitter towards the warriors? You just called one of the greatest coaches of all time terrible. And the mavs were one of the best defensive teams all year. Why can't you give any credit to the warriors. They played great and they won.

And BTW, terrible coaches dont get teams that havent been in the playoffs for 13 or 14 years there in their first season. Nor do they win 67 games in a season. Congratulations to avery johnson and the mavs. And Go Warriors!

HumnHilghtFreel
05-04-2007, 01:57 AM

I wouldn't call Nelly a terrible coach, nor would I say the same about Avery, who is still learning on the job.

Golden State isn't playing out of their minds, they're playing to the best of their ability. They exploited every matchup they could in the series, credit that to Nelly. They play sound defense considering they're a running team.

And as far as the Jackson/Davis thing, it gets out of hand, but emotions run high, I would probably react similarly when I had my adrenaline going.

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 02:39 AM
This has to be the worst post about basketball i have ever read. Why are you so bitter towards the warriors? You just called one of the greatest coaches of all time terrible. And the mavs were one of the best defensive teams all year. Why can't you give any credit to the warriors. They played great and they won.

And BTW, terrible coaches dont get teams that havent been in the playoffs for 13 or 14 years there in their first season. Nor do they win 67 games in a season. Congratulations to avery johnson and the mavs. And Go Warriors!
Congratulations to the Mavs for what? Choking in the first round?

Really one of the worst posts about basketball?

I guess I shouldn't have said that Don Nelson is terrible, but I really don't think he's very good. Don Nelson has a lot of wins in a very long career, but he's done nothing in the playoffs (45%) with some pretty talented teams. "Ok on offense...ummm just do whatever you want" doesn't get you far in the playoffs.

I guess all I really know about Avery Johnson is what I saw this series, and he was terrible in this series, no way getting around that.

I'm not bitter toward the Warriors.

Dallas may have had good defensive numbers during the season, again I haven't watched them much this year. But did you watch this series? Their defense was horrible. The Warriors had a lot of lay-ups and dunks. There was usually no weak side help when the guy guarding the ball got beat off the dribble.

I did give the Warriors credit when I said this:

GS played out of their minds again, it's an amazing win for them.
Did you not read all of my terrible post? I just don't think you can keep counting on Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson to shoot as well as they did for an extended play off run.

During the season Davis shot 30% from the 3pt line, that's bad, so bad he shouldn't even be taking 3's. During that series he shot 45% (including 3-10 in the last game, that's more like it). Did he suddenly learn how to shoot in the days between the end of the season and the series against Dallas? Probably not. He had an incredibly hot series, I don't see him keeping that up, I just don't.

Stephen Jackson hit a lot of open 3's. He's not a good shooter either, but he'll probably continue to knock down 37-40% of open shots, that wouldn't be shocking. But there was no reason that Jackson should have been open so often. The Mavs weren't keeping Davis or anyone else from getting all the way to the basket, so why were there open shooters on the outside? Because Dallas was playing lazy defense. That's what I saw. So credit to the Warriors, because even when you're getting open shots you still have to knock them down and they did.

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't call Nelly a terrible coach, nor would I say the same about Avery, who is still learning on the job.

Golden State isn't playing out of their minds, they're playing to the best of their ability. They exploited every matchup they could in the series, credit that to Nelly. They play sound defense considering they're a running team.

And as far as the Jackson/Davis thing, it gets out of hand, but emotions run high, I would probably react similarly when I had my adrenaline going.

They averaged 11.5 3's a game for that series. Somebody get a hand up or something.

Roy Tucker
05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Congrats to the Warriors. That 3rd quarter was amazing. Don Nelson figured out the perfect game plan to torpedo the Mavs in this series.

Look for 80 bazillion columns to be written about how Dirk doesn't deserve the MVP.

It will be interesting to see how far Golden State goes. What's the prognosis for Davis' hammy?

michst
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Yay Warriors! I have followed them ever since they drafted JayRich from MSU. (always root for former spartans even rotten zach randolph). It was a huge upset but then Golden State did get hot at the end and for most of the season either Baron or Richardson were hurt, it wasn't until the end when they were both healthy and they had Jackson. They are definitely not your normal 8 seed team.

I do feel bad for dirk, he's a good guy just didn't come up big when it mattered. Still an amazing player.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-04-2007, 10:19 AM
They averaged 11.5 3's a game for that series. Somebody get a hand up or something.

They averaged 8.5 for the season. I wouldn't call jacking up a few more and making a few more a game "playing out of their minds."

HotCorner
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
What a disappointing series for the Mavs! The Warriors played lights out though. It would be a very entertaining series should they meet up with the Suns in the West Finals.

westofyou
05-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Yay Warriors! I have followed them ever since they drafted JayRich from MSU

I know Warrior fans that have been holding out for 30 years now, I remember the Chris Washburn years and earlier. Needless to say my friends are on cloud nine today.

TeamSelig
05-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I can't help but cheer for the Warriors, especially with that crowd last night! It's nice to see a new team win some games in the playoff mix... great game

also, even greater that they let Azubuike come in the last minute or so and score

Unassisted
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
There's a long but good column at SI.com about the current state of the NBA playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/05/04/warriors/?cnn=yes

Here's a taste:

Playoffs wide open -- finally! -- after Warriors' upset
Posted: Friday May 4, 2007 11:55AM; Updated: Friday May 4, 2007 2:11PM

Baron Davis will always be remembered from his gutsy play in the Warriors' series-clinching victory over the Mavericks.

John McDonough/SI

This is one of the best things ever to happen in the NBA.

Before the Warriors destroyed Dallas, the NBA was the most hopeless league in pro sports. The numbers said so. Ever since Magic Johnson and Larry Bird revolutionized pro basketball in 1979-80, a cabal of eight stars -- Magic, Bird, Moses Malone, Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan -- have claimed 26 of the 27 championships. If you weren't on their team (or a member of the anomalous 2003-04 Detroit Pistons), then you had no hope of winning the title.

Chip R
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Before the Warriors destroyed Dallas, the NBA was the most hopeless league in pro sports. The numbers said so. Ever since Magic Johnson and Larry Bird revolutionized pro basketball in 1979-80, a cabal of eight stars -- Magic, Bird, Moses Malone, Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan -- have claimed 26 of the 27 championships. If you weren't on their team (or a member of the anomalous 2003-04 Detroit Pistons), then you had no hope of winning the title.

Good thing there's a salary cap in that league or just a few teams would just be winning the title.

jmac
05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I can't help but cheer for the Warriors, especially with that crowd last night! It's nice to see a new team win some games in the playoff mix... great game

also, even greater that they let Azubuike come in the last minute or so and score

Excellent point on crowd and KA !

dabvu2498
05-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Uhhhhhhh... pardon me... aren't Shaq and Tim Duncan's teams still in the playoffs???

WMR
05-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Shaq Fu is OUT

dabvu2498
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Shaq Fu is OUT

Shhhhh... I'm in denial about that.

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
As much as I don't like the Pistons I think they'll be there again. I'm hoping for the Bulls though. And I think it's going to be Timmy's Spurs against the Pistons and I hope the Spurs win it again. Although I wouldn't mind too much if the Suns got there instead.

Razor Shines
05-07-2007, 02:15 AM
That Spurs - Suns game was fun to watch. I hope the whole series is that close. That was great watching Nash carry the Suns even with blood streaming down his face.

I know the MVP is for the regular season, but in all honesty Dirk shouldn't even be considered, it should go to Nash again.

Cyclone792
05-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Utah beat Golden State in Game One 116-112. As an old Jazz fan from the days of John Stockton and Karl Malone, I'm glad to see Utah back in the mix with an up-and-coming team. They got past Houston in a very tough and hard fought series, and hopefully they'll get past Golden State.

It's interesting to see what Jerry Sloan has done with the Jazz too. When I watch Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer play, I see a little bit of John Stockton and Karl Malone again. Williams has the chance to be an NBA superstar, and Boozer's an absolute horse down in the paint, especially on the glass.

Razor Shines
05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Utah beat Golden State in Game One 116-112. As an old Jazz fan from the days of John Stockton and Karl Malone, I'm glad to see Utah back in the mix with an up-and-coming team. They got past Houston in a very tough and hard fought series, and hopefully they'll get past Golden State.

It's interesting to see what Jerry Sloan has done with the Jazz too. When I watch Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer play, I see a little bit of John Stockton and Karl Malone again. Williams has the chance to be an NBA superstar, and Boozer's an absolute horse down in the paint, especially on the glass.

When Williams came out of Illinois I didn't think he'd be that great of a pro player, but he has surprised me. And I agree about him and Boozer looking a little like Stockton and Malone. Boozer is such a smart post player, he does a great job of getting himself in a position to receive the ball with the defensive man on his hip. And yes, he is a monster on the boards.

I think both teams played about as well as they could on offense last night, I suppose we'll see which team keeps it up.

BuckeyeRed27
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I lived in Utah for a few years and am a big Jazz fan. Last nights game was one of the most entertaining NBA games I've watched in a while. High tempo, back and forth, very exciting. And of course the good guys won.

WMR
05-09-2007, 12:00 AM
LeBron James is good.

dabvu2498
05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
LeBron James is good.

Word.

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Steve Nash isn't terrible.

Unassisted
05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Steve Nash isn't terrible.

Not to take anything away from Nash, because he deserves most of the credit for his team's performance. But the Spurs have had many second games of back-to-back games this season where they looked like they couldn't win against anyone. Last night was one of those games. In the playoffs, having 1 off-day between games is as bad as a back-to-back.

I predict they'll look much better with more rest and at home in Game 3.

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Not to take anything away from Nash, because he deserves most of the credit for his team's performance. But the Spurs have had many second games of back-to-back games this season where they looked like they couldn't win against anyone. Last night was one of those games. In the playoffs, having 1 off-day between games is as bad as a back-to-back.

I predict they'll look much better with more rest and at home in Game 3.

I agree, aside from the Pacers I root for the Spurs more than any other team. They did look tired and the younger Suns who were also at home looked fresh. I think the Spurs did what they needed to do to get this series, they now have the home court advantage, and I think that 6th game in San Antonio is going to be a huge game. I think it's going to be an elimination game for the Suns and if the Spurs don't put them away there, it's going to be tough for them to go back to Phoenix and get it done.

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Did anyone see the collision that sent Dee Brown to the hospital in a neck restraint? I'm sure most of us missed it because of the Reds game. I hope he's ok. As far as the game goes, that hurts the Jazz he played well in the first game.

Cyclone792
05-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Did anyone see the collision that sent Dee Brown to the hospital in a neck restraint? I'm sure most of us missed it because of the Reds game. I hope he's ok. As far as the game goes, that hurts the Jazz he played well in the first game.

The storylines in Game 2 were incredible. Fisher missed Game 1 to be with his family and daughter (hopefully his daughter will be ok) and was presumably going to miss Game 2. That forces Dee Brown into action who filled in very well, but then Brown goes down in that nasty collision. Hopefully Brown's ok too, but when he went down the Jazz really didn't have any backup point guard for Deron Williams and were forced to go with AK to run the offense for a bit.

But then Fisher flies back into Salt Lake City and arrives in the arena during the third quarter, enters the game, makes a few nice defensive plays, and then hits a monster three pointer in overtime to help the Jazz win. That's just absolutely incredible, and though Utah leads the series 2-0, it's been one heck of a series so far.

The Jazz fan in me hopes Utah can get a split in Golden State and give themselves a chance to win the series at home in Game 5, but it's going to be tough. They're dominating on the glass, but they can't turn the ball over in Golden State like they did in Game 2 or the Warriors will be running wild. As the series wears down, I'm looking for Boozer to just start wearing Golden State down inside and dominating even more. If Utah can start wearing the Warriors down even more inside, then they'll be in nice shape for the rest of the series.

Mutaman
05-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I've been waiting a long time for Phoenix to realize what a contribution Kurt Thomas could make.

BuckeyeRed27
05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
The storylines in Game 2 were incredible. Fisher missed Game 1 to be with his family and daughter (hopefully his daughter will be ok) and was presumably going to miss Game 2. That forces Dee Brown into action who filled in very well, but then Brown goes down in that nasty collision. Hopefully Brown's ok too, but when he went down the Jazz really didn't have any backup point guard for Deron Williams and were forced to go with AK to run the offense for a bit.

But then Fisher flies back into Salt Lake City and arrives in the arena during the third quarter, enters the game, makes a few nice defensive plays, and then hits a monster three pointer in overtime to help the Jazz win. That's just absolutely incredible, and though Utah leads the series 2-0, it's been one heck of a series so far.

The Jazz fan in me hopes Utah can get a split in Golden State and give themselves a chance to win the series at home in Game 5, but it's going to be tough. They're dominating on the glass, but they can't turn the ball over in Golden State like they did in Game 2 or the Warriors will be running wild. As the series wears down, I'm looking for Boozer to just start wearing Golden State down inside and dominating even more. If Utah can start wearing the Warriors down even more inside, then they'll be in nice shape for the rest of the series.

Totally crazy game. When Fisher came in I felt like I was watching the WWF. He's in street clothes "somewhere in the bowels" of buidling, comes out in uniform to a giant ovation and then comes right into the game. All he had to do was hit Baron Davis with a chair while the ref wasn't looking and it would have been the greatest moment in sports history.

Razor Shines
05-11-2007, 04:12 AM
I watched most of that Bulls - Pistons game tonight. I really like Kirk Hinrich's game, but for most of that game he looked scared to shoot the ball. He passed up a lot of open shots and gave the ball to guys who were in a worse position to shoot than he was. Even some of the shots he took he looked very hesitant.

I didn't think the Bulls had much of a chance against the Pistons anyway, but Kirk's got to play with some confidence. He's one of the best shooters in the NBA and he's scared to take shots. That's not good.

TeamSelig
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
:( I was hoping the Bulls would at least go to the finals. I LOVE their young team.. looks like a sweep

GIK
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Pistons all the way. You can't stop C-Webb. :D

Unassisted
05-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Spurs had a nice win tonight over Phoenix. If Manu Ginobili continues to play like this, I predict this series will be over in 5.

Rojo
05-13-2007, 03:41 AM
I know Warrior fans that have been holding out for 30 years now, I remember the Chris Washburn years and earlier. Needless to say my friends are on cloud nine today.

I've lived in SF since 94 and haven't seen a play-off game til this year. We're lovin it here, even as we say good night to the Sharks.

Cyclone792
05-16-2007, 02:26 AM
The Jazz defeated in the Warriors in Game 5 to win the series and advance to the Western Conference Finals. I'm excited to see Utah in the conference finals, but they'll have their hands full no matter who comes out of that Spurs/Suns series.

Here's a very telling stat about the Jazz/Warriors series ...

Utah had a 269-171 rebounding edge on Golden State over the five game series. That's almost 20 rebounds per game on average. Carlos Boozer alone had 70 rebounds in the series, an average of 14 per game.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Utah has really surprised me. Their guard play has been excellent with Fisher, Williams, and Brown. And that Russian guy has been a defensive monster.

Jerry Sloan has done an excellent job coaching them. I'm really dating myself, but I remember seeing him play as a rookie in the mid-60's against the Royals down at the Garden.

The suspensions of Stoudemire and Diaw really stink. Bowen ought to get suspended for overall chippiness. And how Baron Davis didn't get suspended for leveling Fisher with a deliberate elbow is beyond me. The NBA has been very uneven with their punishments.

Puffy
05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
The NBA really needs to change that stupid rule - bring it up to date. Just stepping on the court gets you suspended, just mind numblingly stupid.

And Horry was clearly, clearly, clearly in the wrong. Nash is the Suns smallest and best player. To have him get hit like that and not have his teammates come to his defense in some form is asking people to go against every instinct known to man.

If that had been Kurt Thomas doing that to Tony Parker you can damn sure bet Duncan and Bowen would have taken one step onto the court.

But the Spurs are a cheap team - I never noticed it til now. They hold, they take cheap shots when possible, Bowen is out to inflict pain, they complain about every call yet they attempt to make the game as physical as possible.

Oh well, I was just getting back into basketball and this happens and now I'll probably leave again. Will be interested in what the Sports Guy has to say about all this.

NJReds
05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
But the Spurs are a cheap team - I never noticed it til now. They hold, they take cheap shots when possible, Bowen is out to inflict pain, they complain about every call yet they attempt to make the game as physical as possible.

Isiah Thomas called out Bowen early this season, but because it's Isiah (who doesn't have the best rep right now) everyone ignored it.

As for the rule...I still remember 1997 when Ewing taking two steps off the bench about 90 feet away from the Heat-Knicks fight on the other side of the court. He got suspended...I have no pity for anyone else who breaks that stupid rule.

Puffy
05-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Isiah Thomas called out Bowen early this season, but because it's Isiah (who doesn't have the best rep right now) everyone ignored it.

As for the rule...I still remember 1997 when Ewing taking two steps off the bench about 90 feet away from the Heat-Knicks fight on the other side of the court. He got suspended...I have no pity for anyone else who breaks that stupid rule.

Yup, as a Knick fan that series killed me. That was probably the best Knick team since 73 and one of their best chances to win it all. I don't know if the Knicks could have gotten by the Bulls and Jordan, but it would have been one great series.

HotCorner
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I know the MVP is for the regular season, but in all honesty Dirk shouldn't even be considered ...

Why?

Unassisted
05-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Horry's hip-check is not typical of the Spurs play. There was a column in the paper today about how some local "fans" are now wishing for the team to lose this series because they're so appalled by the team's physical play.

Plus, there's this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-sunsspurs051507

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.

Razor Shines
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Why?

It should go to Steve Nash again, he's the MVP of the NBA. I would think that Kobe has a better argument for MVP than Dirk. Not that Dirk sucks, I like his game and he is a premier player in the league, but I just don't think he does for the Mavs anywhere near what Nash does for the Suns. Nash makes that team go, he makes his teammates better and he creates opportunities for himself and them.

Dirk doesn't create a whole lot for his teammates, he's a shooter, a great shooter but still just a shooter.

Puffy
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Plus, there's this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-sunsspurs051507

Yeah, the NBA reviewed it but, conspicously, did not suspend either player - saying that did not come to the standard of "altercation" so them leaving the bench is OK.

And the NBA wonders why its losing fans year after year. Its still the one sport where officiating impacts the outcomes of whole series. See Wade, DeWayne.

As for Horry's play, while not indicitive of him (and I think Horry is a good player and a "good" citizen) it is indicitve of Bowen, of Duncan and his crying, and Manu and his flops and grabs. So I think this is what the Spurs have become - maybe they didn't used to be a dirty team, but they are now, IMO

Puffy
05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
And the Sports Guys weighs in:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070516&sportCat=nba

guttle11
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, the NBA reviewed it but, conspicously, did not suspend either player - saying that did not come to the standard of "altercation" so them leaving the bench is OK.

And that's ridiculous.

Basically, the NBA is telling us they have a rule that is subjectively concrete.

Chip R
05-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks, Puffy. I didn't see that earlier today.

Perhaps they should change that rule to anyone who leaves the bench to participate in a fight will be suspended. Of course, I thought that was the rule already. I didn't think they were dumb enough to apply the rule to players who took a step onto the court but didn't fight. :confused:

dabvu2498
05-16-2007, 04:56 PM

He doesn't like Bruce Bowen much, does he? Neither do I.

Nice soccer blasts as well.

Unassisted
05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Didn't look like the Suns were missing Amare and Diaw while I was watching. I should have stayed around for the end.

Game 6 will be interesting.

Razor Shines
05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I watched the game after the Reds game ended. One thing that I noticed was that the Suns got away with an obscene number of moving screens. It was a great game plan by D'Antoni to beat the crap out of Bowen, but they could have been called for a moving screen nearly every time.

15fan
05-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Bump.

Tim's The Man.

Go Spurs.

Unassisted
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I was able to get tickets to the Spurs-Jazz game today.

Should be a good series. The teams split the regular season meetings, with each winning its 2 home games.

Unassisted
05-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Spurs-Jazz had a good outcome, but was a disappointment from an intensity standpoint. The Spurs had double-digit leads for most of the game starting in the 2nd quarter and were leading in FG% 60%-32% at halftime. Maybe the diehard fans knew better than I did, because this was the first playoff game in the AT&T Center that was not a sellout in the 4-year history of the place. I didn't feel like the crowd was much of a factor at all.

I had read speculation that Robert Horry would retire after this season and I believe it after seeing him in person. His experience put him in the right place for open shots and rebounds, but it was easy to see that he was being outhustled by the younger guys on the floor. He just looked tired, which was odd since he hadn't played in almost a week.

Ginobili looked unstoppable with the 3-pointers he was hitting.

I like the Spurs chances in this series.

15fan
05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Keep going whenever you can. You're watching a legend in his prime.

Russell, Kareem and Wilt are going to have to make some room soon for a fourth at the all-time big guy table.

#21. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjaqI4DcsQjY.X1l8g9UN5Q5nYcB?slug=aw-duncan052007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

TeamSelig
05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Spurs v. Detroit :(

Roy Tucker
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I was very disappointed in Utah's game yesterday.

That Spurs-Suns series was about as intense as the NBA gets. And then for Utah to come out yesterday and lay a big fat egg, well, that was a dishonor to how the Suns played. Deron Williams was about the only guy that showed up.

Unless Utah gets it butt in gear pronto, I'm afraid TeamSelig is right, Spurs/Pistons again.

Edskin
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
The Cavs are going to win one of the first two in Detroit, then people will start to focus on that series.

TeamSelig
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I think it will be Pistons in 5 or 6, but then again I thought the Cavs would lose to the Nets, so what do I know?

Unassisted
05-22-2007, 01:30 PM
If the Spurs and Jazz series goes to 5 games, I'll be back. Mrs. U's employer has a suite at the AT&T Center. She was offered a pair of sweet suite tickets for Game 5. If the series ends in 4 games, she'll get the same deal for Game 1 of the Finals! :)

Looks like Game 2 won't be a sellout either. Spurs officials are scratching their heads. Maybe the people who swore off the team after Horry's hip check of Steve Nash are staying home? Maybe $54 is too much to pay for seats in the upper level?

Looks like Cleveland will need to make some adjustments for their Game 2. That Pistons' double-team of LeBron is making him as much of a non-factor as Nowitzki was in the first round.

Razor Shines
05-25-2007, 04:16 AM
I really don't like the Pistons so I may be slightly biased, but I think the Cavs got hosed at the end of game 2. I really believe that was an offensive foul on Sheed. I could see the foul/non-foul on Lebron at the end of the game going either way.

Edskin
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Razor-- Agree on the foul/no-foul on Lebron. That's a tough one to call.

But the Rasheed play was a BLATANT offensive foul. Varejao had great position and Sheed was frustrated and threw a major chicken wing. Terrible non call.

However, Sheed is one heck of a player, he really is. As a Cavs fan and a Pistons hater, I can tell you he is one of the most frustrating players I've ever rooted against. The guy is money.

BuckeyeRed27
05-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow the refs in that Jazz/Spurs game were awful. I am very hard on officials anyways and am definately rooting for the Jazz in this one but that was too much to take. Ginobli flops. Everybody knows this. He is a dirty player and will continue to be because refs like the ones in Game 4 allow him to pull that crap. And instead of just getting the game under control they start giving Ts to players on the home team which does nothing but get the crowd even more rowdy and you end up with that result. Awful. They should not be allowed to do anymore playoff games.

Roy Tucker
05-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Ginobli did what every NBA superstar does in the 4th quarter... Drive the middle, throw himself into the defensive players, flop like he got hit by a baseball bat, and get the free throws for it. Dwayne Wade and the Heat won a championship that way last year. I think it's bunk, but that's how they call the games.

Till these playoffs, I had no idea Deron Williams was so good.

Edskin
05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Ah, BOTH teams were hacking away last night. Utah was mugging Parker every time he drove the lane, and he had a hard time getting calls.

It was a very physical game and the Jazz fans wanted some extra home cooking. They didn't get it, that's all.

Unassisted
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow the refs in that Jazz/Spurs game were awful. I am very hard on officials anyways and am definately rooting for the Jazz in this one but that was too much to take. Ginobli flops. Everybody knows this. He is a dirty player and will continue to be because refs like the ones in Game 4 allow him to pull that crap. And instead of just getting the game under control they start giving Ts to players on the home team which does nothing but get the crowd even more rowdy and you end up with that result. Awful. They should not be allowed to do anymore playoff games.

Steve Javie was the senior ref for that game. He's notorious for favoring the visiting team according to a local columnist. It looked like he didn't do Utah any favors last night.

The fact that he did Game 4 in Utah makes it unlikely he'll get do his number on the Spurs for Game 5 in San Antonio.

Razor Shines
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure how you say Ginobili is a dirty player because he flops. I don't think flopping makes you dirty. D Will flopped several times in that game also, he just didn't get the calls. Almost every good NBA player flops, get used to it, it's become part of the game.

Puffy
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
It has become part of the game. I wish they would tighten it up, but who knows what Stern is thinking anymore.

Boy, did I miss the boat on Deron Williams. I thought he was great for the Illini during their tourney run, but I thought Felton would be 10 times better as a pro and I thought all those who considered taking him before Felton would regret it. I was dead wrong. Felton has turned into a good pro. He'll be solid but not all-star caliber. Deron Williams is not only all-star caliber, but he's Olympic, go for the gold caliber.

Real good player.

BuckeyeRed27
05-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Flopping shouldn't be part of the game and because he does it ON EVERY PLAY I would classify him as dirty. I don't think he's dirty in the same way to Horry or Bowen are, but I don't think he plays the game the right way.

I'll give this to the Spurs they are very good at abusing the system, but I'm not sure if the NBA put in some rule changes if they would be so "dominant".

Razor Shines
05-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Flopping shouldn't be part of the game and because he does it ON EVERY PLAY I would classify him as dirty. I don't think he's dirty in the same way to Horry or Bowen are, but I don't think he plays the game the right way.

I'll give this to the Spurs they are very good at abusing the system, but I'm not sure if the NBA put in some rule changes if they would be so "dominant".

Sounds like the same criticisms I heard of the Bulls while they were dominant. The Jazz didn't lose that game because of the refs. The Spurs are a better team.

BuckeyeRed27
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the same criticisms I heard of the Bulls while they were dominant. The Jazz didn't lose that game because of the refs. The Spurs are a better team.

The Spurs will win this series because they are a better team. I think the Jazz would have won that game if the calls would have at least been balanced.

Roy Tucker
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Some announcer the other night mentioned that with more European players in the NBA, flopping is becoming more common. Americans don't make very good floppers.

I wouldn't call Ginobli a dirty player. Bowen is a dirty player.

Spurs are the better team so far. Someone besides Williams and Boozer have to show up for Utah.

I can't say I'm looking forward to the Finals. Spurs-Pistons will be a grind-it-out series.

Unassisted
05-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Even the local sportswriters who cover the Spurs were saying that the refs were a factor in the outcome of this one.

I think the depth of the thrashing the Spurs took in Game 3 was a huge motivating factor.

I look forward to seeing the Spurs close it out in Game 5 tomorrow. Hopefully, the SA fans will be more of a factor than they were in Games 1 and 2.

reds44
05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
LeBron and the Cavs send it back to Detroit tied at 2.

Edskin
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
1. The Cavs are an excellent defensive team. People are railing on the Detroit offense right now, and kind of ignoring the fact that Cleveland has ranked near the top in all defensive categories all season long. Mike Brown earned his chops as a defensive assistant, and the Cavs have really bought in. I do think his obsession with defense sometimes hurts them on the other end of the floor, but they are a clamp-down defensive unit. The Nets were on fire prior to the Cavs series, and then they got stopped in their tracks-- especially VC, who is a wuss by the way. Watch how even Gibson plays the post-- perfect form. Clearly, he's paid attention to Eric Snow.

2. The Cavs have Chauncy's number. For two years now, he's struggled against the Cavs-- again, goes back to defense. But I also wonder if Billups MIGHT be regressing and aging a tad? I'd be wary if I was a team to sign him to a huge deal this off-season.

3. Gibson, Gooden, and others have played very well the past two games, but it still all stems from LBJ. He was unreal in game three, and he was outstanding in the 4th quarter last night. Tayshaun is a brilliant defender, and he clearly bothers LBJ at times, but when Lebron gets cooking, not even Price can stop him.

4. The Cavs have looked like the better team overall in this series. They've looked more energetic, more talented, and in the past two games, more poised.

5. If Rasheed wanted to, he could be a DOMINANT low post player. I mean, unstoppable. That guy is a killer. Those fadeway baseline jumpers are unstoppable, and he was abusing Gooden in the post. But once Gooden gave him the hard foul/technical, I thought Sheed sort of "backed away." He is by far the player I fear the most in these next three games, but I'm hoping his head continues to get in his way.

6. Having said ALL that, I still believe in the Detroit "mystique" to a certain extent. They DID win those first two games which gave them a cushion going to back to Cleveland. The Cavs STILL have to win in the Palace, where things just always seem to fall in place for the Pistons. So even as a Cavs fan, and even though I truly believe they've been the better team, I'm STILL forced to pick the Pistons in 7. No matter what, they are still very tough, and for the most part, every time Cleveland has tried to pull away in this series, the Pistons have answered with big shots. There also seems to be a natural progression for stars like Jordan, Lebron, etc... and it just seems like losing this series is the most natural evolution for his career. Plus, I still respect Detroit, especially if it comes down to a one-game situation.

7. It hasn't always been pretty, especially the games in Detroit, but this has been a VERY entertaining series. Although the offense has been spotty, both teams have made some pretty big shots down the stretch in games. And although I'm biased, Lebron truly is a fun player to watch.

8. Stern has to be pulling for the Cavs just a bit. Det-SA would be a solid series, but I actually think Cleveland is more dangerous for the Spurs than Detroit. Obviously, I'd picked SA either way, but the Cavs did sweep them this year and they've actually done quite well against them in the past few years. LBJ really bothers Bowen for some reason-- maybe the size? And Duncan is actually the kind of post player that Z can bother a bit. Duncan doesn't kill you with speed and quickness-- so Z's size tends to give him a few problems. Throw in Varejao and I don't think Duncan would dominant quite like he has dominated the Suns and Jazz.

But in the end, I do think it will be the Pistons. I will pick SA to win in 6 either way, but I think Cleveland and LBJ would provide a much more interesting, compelling series.

WMR
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I think Det-SA would be a snoozer.

I wish LeBron would take Tayshaun down into the post more often. He's so much stronger than Tayshaun, it's not even funny.

C'MON CAVS.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I wish LeBron would take Tayshaun down into the post more often. He's so much stronger than Tayshaun, it's not even funny.

If he developed even a semi-consistent post-up game, it would be a wrap for the rest of the league. That and work on that FT % ;)

Unassisted
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd like to see a Spurs-Cavs final, because we've already seen a Spurs-Pistons final. Even more importantly, it would eliminate the need to hear that PA announcer in Detroit say "Deeeetroit Basketballlll" during the Finals. :D

WMR
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
OMG, Una, I never thought anyone could unseat Grande as the most annoying announcer ever, but that guy might just do it.

WMR
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
If he developed even a semi-consistent post-up game, it would be a wrap for the rest of the league. That and work on that FT % ;)

He can post up... he just clearly dislikes doing so.

Razor Shines
05-30-2007, 05:46 PM
It was hilarious when Hamilton tried to get in Lebron's head at the end of the game before he shot those free throws. I loved how Lebron just shoved him out of the way, he almost looked like he was begging for the ref to give him the ball. Seeing the facial expressions of the two coming away from that encounter it looked like Rip was more intimidated than Lebron was.

WMR
05-30-2007, 05:49 PM
He's going to have to make A BUNCH of free throws before every team gives up that 'act.'

Unassisted
05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Spurs truly looked like the team to beat in the Finals tonight. Tonight's crowd was much more into the game than the Game 2 crowd.

I watched the first 3 quarters from my seat at the AT&T Center and then retreated to the empty luxury suite. From the suite, I watched the 4th quarter and the trophy ceremony by flipping around on the big plasma TV with its 7 in-house channels of video feed. There was a separate channel for each of the scoreboard cameras covering the game, plus a channel of statistics, a channel with video and ads from the scoreboard, a channel that looked like it would be used as a game film with a wide shot with continuous clocks and scores at the bottom. Plus there was endless food and (soft) drinks. If I could watch every sporting event with a setup like that, I'd watch a lot more sports on TV. :D

Spurs fans on local talk radio are about evenly split on whether they'd prefer to face Cleveland or Detroit in the Finals. I haven't looked it up, but someone said Cleveland won both regular season games vs. the Spurs.

WMR
05-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I specifically remember them winning one of them, the one AT San Antonio, I believe.

Edskin
05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Yeah, the Cavs swept SA this year. The first game was very early in the season down in Texas. Cavs won, and Lebron had that semi-famous dunk over Tim Duncan.

Cavs have actually matched-up quite well w/ the Spurs since Lebron arrived. I think Cleveland is quietly a very tough team for SA. Bowen is a defensive ace, but for whatever reason, Lebron torches him. There are other defenders in the league that seem to give Lebron more problems than Bowen-- I think the size difference may have something to do with it.

Also, Duncan is a star, but he's actually the kind of player that Z can defend. Z is slow and gets beat by quicker big men. Duncan will score on anyone down low, but Z's size can help keep TD from scoring at will like we've seen him do over the last two rounds of the playoffs. Varejao is also a very annoying defender for any big man. Throw in Gooden and the Cavs can bang with the best of them.

Cleveland got smoked this year by teams like Dallas and Phoenix. Smaller teams that run and hit you from all angles. But Cleveland matches up well with bigger, slower teams.

In the end, no matter what, you've gotta go with the Spurs. They are simply too solid all over the floor-- a true dynasty. And as a Cavs fan, I'm not sure who on our team can check Tony Parker-- THAT is a bad match-up for us. But I do think Cleveland will pester SA and would give them a more compelling, interesting series than Detroit would.

BTW.......here's that Lebron dunk over TD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0GiPPR_pG8

WMR
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Bowen a defensive ace?

Pretty kind words for the dirtiest player in the NBA.

The way he plants his feet underneath player when they take a jump shot is criminal. I'm truly amazed he hasn't yet ended someone's career with his crap.

WMR
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Larry Hughes can abuse Tony Parker in the post all day long. It's going to require some serious help D, however.

Edskin
05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Hughes will most likely be hobbled the rest of the post-season, and unfortunately, I'm not sure he is capable of "abusing" my grandma even when he's healthy. I do think he'd probably be our best match-up to GUARD Parker, but Hughes can't get it together offensively.

It's funny, the Cavs went 3-0 last year against the Pistons when Hughes did not play. They went 0-4 with him on the floor.

This year they went 0-2 with him logging big minutes and 2-0 with him sitting on the bench for the most part.

WMR
05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
What do you honestly think about Bowen, though?

Edskin
05-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Bowen is great. I do think he's a bit on the "dirty" side, but I do not believe he intentionally attempts to injure people. He is the kind of player that every great team needs- he has been a steady constant for the Spurs.

Roy Tucker
05-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Bowen is an excellent defender and plays great fundamental defense.

But, I think he intentionally does all of those chippy things to get inside the opponents head. It happens too often for it to be accidental. Little grabs and elbows are one thing, but to do things that can cause injuries (low-bridging jump shooters, kicking in the back of the leg, etc.) are another. That's where Bowen goes too far IMHO.

Reds Fanatic
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Great game tonight. Lebron just carried the Cavaliers to a win with an amazing performance. 48 points, he scored the last 25 points in a row and 29 of the last 30 points. Cleveland now takes a 3 games to 2 lead back home for Saturday night's game.

reds44
06-01-2007, 12:05 AM
LeBron just have the best preformance I have EVER seen. That was absurd. It was almost fake.

guttle11
06-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I really can't believe what I just saw Lebron do. INCREDIBLE!

This series is exactly the same as last year so far. Time to go all Sub-Zero and FINISH THEM!

HumnHilghtFreel
06-01-2007, 12:19 AM
LeBron played a game of 1 on 5 for about 15 straight minutes... and won.

Easily one of the best individual performances I've seen in my lifetime.

WMR
06-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Amazing.

Beyond belief.

Edskin
06-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Already one of my top 5 all-time sports-fan moments.

It was a joy to watch.

Cyclone792
06-01-2007, 01:38 AM
LeBron James' performance tonight in the 4th quarter and both overtimes was ridiculous. That's easily the best individual basketball performance I've seen since Michael Jordan's memorable playoff games.

Razor Shines
06-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Wow, that was amazing. 25 straight points to end the game against the Pistons, there's really no way to describe how good that is. It's been a long time since I've witnessed such a clutch performance. It reminded me a little of Reggie Miller's performance against the Knicks in Madison Square Garden in the playoffs. Obviously Lebron's was much more dominant but in terms of clutch factor they had a similar feel.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
How LeBron made that winning layup in the 2nd OT was just ridiculous. It wasn't like there was much doubt as to who was going to take the shot. Still, he whips around his defender, splits 2-3 others, jackknifes, and makes it. Just amazing.

That was one of the more remarkable performances I've seen in a long time. I was splitting time between the Reds game and this game. I guess I'm a little glad the Reds got whipped so I could watch more of this game.

dabvu2498
06-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Tirico's comment on ESPN radio: "He's dunking like it's the 8th game of the season against the Grizzlies."

Best I can remember, and that includes Jordan.

Chip R
06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I guess that game last night shut up Lebron's critics.

Joseph
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I guess that game last night shut up Lebron's critics.

No it won't. Nor should it. Sports is based on saying 'my guy is better than your guy.' Sometimes 'my guy' is just a guy on another team. Sometimes 'my guy' is a guy who played 40 years ago.

Jordan [my guy] is still better. And the NBA still sucks. ;)

HotCorner
06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Unbelievable. LeBron took the leap last night. It was as if he was in another gear during the 4th and OT.

BuckeyeRed27
06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Witness

Edskin
06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Joseph,

Here is my reply to your post:

Hubie Brown, who I respect very much, said it best... he said he had "never" seen a performance quite like THAT-- he included MJ in the list.

In some people's eyes MJ is simply untouchable. Lebron or whoever could walk on water and people would still say no one can touch MJ.

And let me say this....I am NOT saying Lebron is at MJ's career level. I am NOT saying he already deserves the same accolades. But I do believe people kind of get lost in history.

A few points:

1. No one EVER talks about this, but MJ NEVER really faced a zone defense. During his prime years, zone defenses were strictly outlawed. You could not stack the floor against one man. The Pistons routinely throw four guys into Lebron's line of sight-- in MJ's day, that is illegal defense every time.

2. There is simply no doubt that Lebron is a better player at 22 than MJ was at 22. No doubt. The brilliance of MJ was that once he reached his peak, he was able to sustain it for so long. The fact that he was such a ruthless competitor still amazes me. But it took him some time to reach that level. He won his first title at 28. And he lost to Detroit three times in the playoffs before breaking through.

3. This isn't totally MJ's fault, but he did excel during a "transition" period in the NBA. He entered the league when the Celtics, Lakers, and then Pistons were some of the best teams ever. He never beat any of those teams at their peak-- not that he SHOULD have, but it's just the way the timing worked out. By the time MJ was MJ those teams were gone. The very best team the Bulls EVER beat in ANY round of the playoffs was probably the Jazz teams there at the end, when it was Stockton, Malone and the stiffs.

The East was pretty down during MJ's years, and the West rarely produced a great team-- it was generally a revolving door (Blazers, Sonics, Suns, etc... )

The Cavs have yet to beat a great team either. If the Cavs close-out this series, I'd consider it akin to when the Bulls finally beat the Pistons. Caught them when they were still very good, but fading.

However, the Spurs are a different story. This Spurs team is HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than any team the Bulls ever beat-- especially with the newer rules. If this years Cavs could play the 1992 Blazers or the 1996 Sonics, I'd like their chances.

So, I am NOT proclaiming LBJ to be the equal to MJ. He certainly has a lot of rings to earn before we can really start this discussion. But I do believe people tend to view the MJ era with a bit of revisionist history.

Chip R
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
No it won't. Nor should it. Sports is based on saying 'my guy is better than your guy.' Sometimes 'my guy' is just a guy on another team. Sometimes 'my guy' is a guy who played 40 years ago.

Jordan [my guy] is still better. And the NBA still sucks. ;)

I don't think anyone is saying that LeBron is the greatest of all time; just thta he has been criticized for not making the big shot and not being able to carry a team on his back and for making the pass instead of shooting in Game 1. Last night's performance should shut a lot of those people up.

WMR
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
What was most amazing to me about LeBron's game last night was how he was taking all of these HORRIBLE shots and netting EVERY SINGLE ONE!

He's not a great three point shooter by any means, but he was clearly in one of those 'zones' where players describe the basket as being so big they can't help but throw it in.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
A few points:
1. No one EVER talks about this, but MJ NEVER really faced a zone defense. During his prime years, zone defenses were strictly outlawed. You could not stack the floor against one man. The Pistons routinely throw four guys into Lebron's line of sight-- in MJ's day, that is illegal defense every time.

I'm really glad you brought this up, because that's something that I've never even thought of. I take for granted the rule changes over time a lot, and this is a GREAT point.

WMR
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Something that hasn't been brought up yet is Chris Webber's performance last night. Looked like a young man out there.

Joseph
06-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I can respect that view on things Edskin, but to counter I would suggest this.

Everyone wants to also say "I was there when...". Lots of people who weren't there when it was Jordan, or Magic, or Wilt, or Russel, can say they were there when LeBron did his thing. It's a mentality of 'now is better than then' because I saw it in person [or on tv].

I totally understand that there is also a mentality of all the old ones are better than the new ones too. Babe Ruth was better than Maris even when Maris broke the record. Hell Babe was better than Aaron even when Aaron broke 714. Aaron was number 3 on the career hits list and number one on the home run list for a long time, yet people are still not willing to give him his due.

I don't want to take away from LeBron, I really don't. maybe I am guilty of old is better than new syndrome even, but the last segment of my first post still applies in my mind. I don't like the NBA and I'm frankly tired of hearing radio personalities and TV personalities telling me I am and I quote "stupid for not watching."

The NBA bores me. I'll tune in to a couple games a season for the Bulls, but it's mostly just trying to recreate a magic that existed for me in the 90's that I frankly ain't gonna get back. LeBron surely doesn't deserve the negativity he's subject too, but I'm not gonna feel sorry for a guy who has all the things he has. :)

Anyway, maybe LeBron is better. But maybe just maybe he's not and everyone just wants him to be better so they can say, "I was there when..."

Cyclone792
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
3. This isn't totally MJ's fault, but he did excel during a "transition" period in the NBA. He entered the league when the Celtics, Lakers, and then Pistons were some of the best teams ever. He never beat any of those teams at their peak-- not that he SHOULD have, but it's just the way the timing worked out. By the time MJ was MJ those teams were gone. The very best team the Bulls EVER beat in ANY round of the playoffs was probably the Jazz teams there at the end, when it was Stockton, Malone and the stiffs.

I was/still am a Jazz fan, and the thing about those two Jazz teams is they were the two Jazz teams who actually were more than Stockton, Malone and the stiffs. Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russell gave them added weapons beyond just Stockton and Malone, and their other bench/role players were a bit better than the stuff they had in the early to mid 90s. Hornacek was a lights out shooter and Russell was a heckuva defensive player ... well, except when he slipped on Jordan's game-winner ;)

But the added quality depth the Jazz had beyond Stockton and Malone was what pushed them well over 60 wins and eventually into the Finals where they just became another Jordan victim. IIRC, I think Jordan once said those two Jazz teams were the two best teams he ever faced.

I will say this about LeBron ... he's the best player in the NBA right now, IMO. And I don't think Kobe Bryant is anywhere close to LeBron either.

Edskin
06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
"stiffs" may have been harsh. But the supporting cast in Utah then were total role players. In contrast, the "great" teams like Boston in the 80s' had "supporting" players that were HOF worthy-- Parrish, Dennis Johnson, etc..

And as great as Stockton and Malone were:

Duncan + Parker + Ginobli > Malone + Stockton

Cyclone792
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
"stiffs" may have been harsh. But the supporting cast in Utah then were total role players. In contrast, the "great" teams like Boston in the 80s' had "supporting" players that were HOF worthy-- Parrish, Dennis Johnson, etc..

And as great as Stockton and Malone were:

Duncan + Parker + Ginobli > Malone + Stockton

Well right, the supporting cast in Utah were role players the entire time, and that's the biggest reason why they never won a championship. My earlier point though was that Utah's role players from 1996-1998 were a better grade than their role players from the early to mid 90s.

FWIW, if any two (not three, two) of those Spurs players you mentioned were given Utah's supporting cast, the Spurs probably wouldn't be winning any championships either. Duncan + Parker + Ginobli is an excellent trio, but take any one of those guys out of the equation, and the resulting duo isn't close to Stockton + Malone.

WMR
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
If that 98 Jazz team was playing the 07 Spurs I'd give them an excellent chance to win a seven game series.

Michael Jordan is the only reason the Jazz didn't get AT LEAST one ring from that era.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I suspect what we're seeing is LeBron figuring out he can impose his will upon a game. This truly was a "climb on my back boys, I'm taking you home" moment. I'd seen flashes of it before, but never where he just took over in a critical game at a critical time.

In previous games, he still did funny things at crucial times (and I don't mean funny ha-ha). In his interviews lately, he keeps talking about being aggressive. I think, by nature, LeBron is a nice guy and wants to be nice to his teammates. I think he's saying the heck with that.

If he keeps this up, he can get up into the MJ/Bird/Magic/Big O uppper pantheon of stars. I don't put guys like Malone, Stockton, Duncan, etc. there. You gotta be a phenomenally talented, supremely skilled superstar with a competitive streak a mile wide and a taste for the jugular to get there.

dabvu2498
06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russell gave them added weapons beyond just Stockton and Malone, and their other bench/role players were a bit better than the stuff they had in the early to mid 90s.

Like Tom Chambers, Mark Eaton, David Benoit and Felton Spencer??? ;)

dabvu2498
06-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Point to poinder: Through MJ's 4th season in the league, the Bulls had a 5-15 record in the playoffs, only making it out of the 1st round once. Granted, they did make the playoffs all 4 years, while the Cavs missed the first two years of James' career.

WMR
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Detroit coming apart at the seams.

2 quick Ts for Rasheed Wallace. Ejection and suspension for game 7 should it occur.

Cleveland up 69-83 with 7:36 remaining.

reds44
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Witness.

WMR
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Daniel Gibson is all grows'd up.

reds44
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Gibson is on FIYAH.

guttle11
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM
2 quick Ts for Rasheed Wallace. Ejection and suspension for game 7 should it occur.

That's a shame. He's such a class act...:mooner:

Finish it off, boys!

WMR
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Definitely my least favorite player in the NBA.

Just a complete, total punk.

reds44
06-02-2007, 11:30 PM
31 for Gibson.

WMR
06-02-2007, 11:43 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers are going to the NBA Finals!! :D

captainmorgan07
06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
daniel gibson should be a legend in cleveland for his performance tonite what a job the young fella major props

Edskin
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Witness!!

StillFunkyB
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I am so excited about the Cavs going to the finals!!!

All those years of Price, Ehlo, Nance, Hot Rod, Big Softie etc...

LeBron made it happen (with the help of Boobie)!

I just hope the Spurs don't wipe the floor with them. Bowen most certainly will be guarding 'Bron, and Z is gonna have his hands full with Duncan.

The Cavs did beat them both times in the regular season, but that's the regular season.

One thing I really liked about the Pistons series was Mike Brown's guard rotation. I think he managed those guys really well, and used Eric Snow perfectly.

MasonBuzz3
06-04-2007, 01:07 AM
I just hope the Spurs don't wipe the floor with them. Bowen most certainly will be guarding 'Bron, and Z is gonna have his hands full with Duncan.

mark it down, LeBron will have his way with Bowen. The guys that give Bowen problems are the strong type, and not many 3's are stronger than King James. Let me be the first to say that the Cavs match up very well with the Spurs, and I am giving the Cavs more of a chance than almost anyone, could be because they were signing my checks, but honestly just look at the match-ups.

Parker vs Hughes
i see this as being the key match up of the series. if hughes was healthy, i'd feel a little more comfortable. but as is, i see parker being able to use his speed to get around hughes and kick to shooters on the perimiter. Boobie will come in and show more speed and have a better shot than Hughes. Advantage: Spurs

Finley vs Sasha
Finley is not the same player as he was with the Mavs a few years ago, that being said he is still a deadly outside shooter. Sasha struggled a bit with the quickness of Hamilton against Detroit, but Finley will be more like Vince Carter in the series against the Nets where Sasha excelled. Sasha on the offensive end just needs to get a couple buckets to get his confidence up and just take what is given to him, and not push the issue. Advantage: Push, maybe slightly to Spurs

Lebron vs Bowen
I feel that I dont really need to go into much detail here. Bowen struggles with bigger, stronger players, and Bron the the example of that. No one player can't stop Bron. With Bowen being pretty much an outside shooter, with little driving ability, Lebron will be able to conserve energy on the defensive end. Advantage: Cavs

Oberto/Elson vs Gooden/Varejao
Gooden, imo, is the x-factor for the Cavs in this series. If he shows up they will have a much better chance of winning title #1. but he gets in foul trouble and loses his jumper, the cavs could be in trouble. Varejao is the spark plug of the Cavs, but his high energy also causes some stupid fouls away from the basket. I see this matchup as a push, with Cleveland having a better potential, but far more inconsistancy. Advantage: Push

Duncan vs. Z
Duncan is obviously one of the best players in the league, and possibly one of the best ever at his position. That being said, Z is a large, large man. Duncan will get his on the offensive end. The key for the Cavs is Z being able to bring Duncan out to the second level, and Z hitting the mid-range jumpers. Obviously have to take the Hall of Famer in this match up. Advantage: Spurs

I see a very evenly matched series in the finals. I think the Cavs take one of the first two games in SA, and take the series in 6, but that just might be my wine-and-gold colored glasses talking.

and thank god that the Cavs are my anti-Reds

Edskin
06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Mason-- What did, or do you do, for the Cavs?

Roy Tucker
06-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Dang. The Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals. The *Cavs* in the Finals. Who'd a thunk it?

Color me surprised seeing the Cavs win. Particularly after being down 0-2. Cavs never gave up, played great team defense, LeBron did his thing, and Detroit imploded, particularly Billups and Sheed.

And like others have said, they match up well with the Spurs. I think it will be a close series.

15fan
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Spurs win titles in odd years.

1999, 2003, 2005.

This is 2007.

Bodes well for the Spurs. Not so well for the Cavs.

Tim Duncan is 12-6 in the NBA Finals. 3 Times he & the Spurs have gone to the Finals. 3 Times they've won. Cleveland is staring down the equivalent of playing Tiger Woods at Augusta National, or facing Mariano Rivera in the 9th inning of a post-season game.

It's been a nice run, Cleveland.

But the fact that this (http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/roster/) roster is in the NBA Finals is a testament to just how weak the entire Eastern Conference is.

Spurs. Convincingly.

Unassisted
06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
I thought this was an interesting take on the series from today's local paper.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060407.01A.1Aspurs.359024c.html

Spurs take on villain role in NBA drama

Web Posted: 06/04/2007 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News

The Spurs know they will be living in the shadow of Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James this week.

They just hope it doesn't turn into a total eclipse.

While acknowledging having "King James" in the NBA Finals is "great" for the league and will drive TV ratings, forward Tim Duncan wonders if the Spurs will even merit a mention from those charged with hyping the best-of-7 series.

"I'm just hoping every once in a while, they'll throw the Spurs in there between LeBron highlights," Duncan said Sunday. "That would be nice."

James was just 18 when the Cavaliers drafted him No. 1 in 2003. He entered the league billed as the next Michael Jordan, a tag that fits after James' magnificent 48-point outing last week against Detroit.

But to become truly Jordan-like, James needs at least one ring. Standing in his way are the heavily favored Spurs, which Duncan says makes them the villains in this drama.

It's a role he embraces — at least for this series.

"We are the bad boys, which is fun," Duncan said. "Yeah, yeah, I enjoy being the bad boys. We're going to try to change our name or get a nickname or something for our team.

"It's a different role for us. We're usually the underdogs. We're usually the ones kind of fighting out of a hole. That's a little bit on (the Cavaliers') shoulders now."

The way guard Tony Parker sees it, the Spurs assumed Snidely Whiplash status when Robert Horry's well-placed forearm sent Phoenix's Steve Nash flying into the scorer's table in Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals.

"We've been the bad boys since the second round. It's not going to change," Parker said of the Spurs' new image, which stands in sharp contrast to the choirboy label they once wore. "We are not vanilla anymore. We are the bad boys."

But that doesn't mean the Spurs are a dirty team, Duncan said.

"We aren't doing anything different," Duncan said. "It is what people have tried to put on us. We aren't dirty. We're not anything else. We just play hard.

"We are comfortable with any role. It doesn't change how we play."

Like Duncan, Parker knows the majority of fans outside Bexar County will tune in to the Finals to see if the Cavaliers and James can pull off the upset.

The Spurs are gunning for their fourth NBA title in the past nine seasons and third in the past five. This is Cleveland's first Finals appearance.

"Everybody likes new stuff," Parker said. "It's LeBron James' first Finals, so obviously a lot of people are going to root for him. That's fine. But they still have to try to beat us."

Much of the country will be cheering for James to do exactly that, or at least duplicate his signature 48-point performance a couple of times.

The Spurs figure that gem of an effort thrilled the league, which promotes its marquee figure at every turn.

"The league has made a big push on LeBron James," Parker said. "It's great for the league. I think a lot more people are going to watch the NBA Finals now."

Said Duncan, "I know the NBA is definitely excited about (having James in the Finals), and NBA fans are excited about it. So why wouldn't we be?"

torsborn@express-news.net

StillFunkyB
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I am glad the Cavs are playing the Spurs. If they are going to win, I want them to beat the best.

IMHO, the Pistons and Spurs are the top two teams to beat in the NBA. The Cavs have already beaten one, and I really hope they can bring it against San Antonio.

Edskin
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Even my dog is a Witness.........

MasonBuzz3
06-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Mason-- What did, or do you do, for the Cavs?

I interned in the inside sales and group sales departments, and it's not helping me to get a ticket to any of these Finals games at the Q

Edskin
06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
All I gotta say.....(click on the record)

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gotta_make_it_happen_030909.html

Roy Tucker
06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Simmons makes a pretty compelling case....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070607&sportCat=nba

"brutally efficient" is a good way to describe the Spurs.

LeBron will continue his ascent to superstardom but I'll say the Spurs in 6. LeBron wins one by his lonesome and the refs give one to the Cavs.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Today is a good day. Baseball draft followed by Cavs basketball. Sorry, Reds, I'm skipping your game for the first Finals appearance.

Razor Shines
06-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Tony Parker looked tough tonight. He may be the 2nd best point guard in the NBA. I think he's going to be a thorn in the Cavs side all series, and may be the difference. Timmy was just bein' Timmy tonight.

Lebron's obviously going to play better than that. The Spurs D was pretty tough on him, but he really didn't play that well either. I love his confidence in himself though. He's only 22 but he understands that off nights happen and he KNOWS he'll play better. He needs help though. Gibson is the only one who showed up really, he needs to play more.

I usually find Stephen A. Smith annoying, but he was pretty accurate when he kept calling Illguaskis "Memet Okur". Big Z has got to play better also.

Roy Tucker
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
You would have thought by the 4th quarter that Mike Johnson would have figured out the Spurs had taken the high pick and roll away from LeBron and make an adjustment. Didn't seem to happen though. Post him up Mike.

15fan
06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
It's been a nice run, Cleveland.

But the fact that this (http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/roster/) roster is in the NBA Finals is a testament to just how weak the entire Eastern Conference is.

Spurs. Convincingly.

Bump.

Spurs up 24 (!) with 3:30 left in the first half of game 2.

Anyone still think Cleveland belongs on the same floor as San Antonio?

Unassisted
06-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Bump.

Spurs up 24 (!) with 3:30 left in the first half of game 2.

Anyone still think Cleveland belongs on the same floor as San Antonio?

Cavs deserve credit for cutting that lead to 9 in the 4th Quarter. It was too little, too late, though. They'll need all the help they can get from their home crowd.

I'm not looking forward to reading about the low TV ratings for this series. I'm sure a lot of people around the country tuned out to watch the Sopranos... and the Weather Channel or anything else that happened to be on around the time you made that post. ;)

CrackerJack
06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Actually the opener of the finals was the lowest rated prime time NBA finals game....ever.

I just can't even get remotely interested in the NBA anymore myself.

15fan
06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
^

A big part of that ambivalence is the fact that it's mid-June, and the NBA is still playing basketball.

They need to crown a champ about a month earlier, IMO.

Chip R
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
^

A big part of that ambivalence is the fact that it's mid-June, and the NBA is still playing basketball.

They need to crown a champ about a month earlier, IMO.

They have been playing basketball in mid-June for years so I don't think the time of year has a thing to do with the low ratings.

Unassisted
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
They have been playing basketball in mid-June for years so I don't think the time of year has a thing to do with the low ratings.

It's the markets that are playing that fail to inspire folks to tune in.

Cleveland is the bigger draw, even as a mid-size market, since it has the benefit of being the only team in its state, and probably drawing a bit from Eastern Pennsylvania. It also has the anointed next big thing in LBJ.

SA is one of the NBA's smallest markets nationally. There's not even interest across the state here because the two bigger markets in Texas both have teams of their own. The fans in Dallas moved on from basketball a month ago when their team laid an egg in the first round. That, plus the Spurs brand of team basketball and lack of controversy make them a tough sell against any opponent.

The casual fans who tune in are being treated to games that look lopsided in the first quarter, even if they turn out to be closer by the end. It had to be hard for fans without a rooting interest and who dig showmanship to stay interested when LeBron sat out most of the 1st Quarter with 2 fouls.

Edskin
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
The only thing I don't like about the perception of the Spurs is that they aren't great individually, but great as a team.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I mean this 100%.....

Duncan/Parker/Ginobli can rival ANY three-man tandem in the history of the NBA.

They ARE a great team. They ARE unselfish. They DO play defense. But those three are ALSO excellent individual players.

Duncan is already in my top 10 all-time NBA players. He is a super-super star. And Parker is also a star-- a young one at that. He's the 2nd best PG in the NBA, IMO-- although Deron Williams is a stud too.

Manu is the one of the three who probably benefits the most from having the other two in the line-up, but even on his worst days he's still a fantastic third option. On his best days, he's an unstoppable scorer.

Mix in the most underrated coach in sports history, and you have a dynastic team,

And it's really funny to me. People say they don't watch the NBA because:

--The players are thugs.
--It's all individual
--They don't play defense

I would debate all three of things league-wide, but even the biggest cynic has to admit that the Spurs are the antithesis of those three things. Yet, nobody likes them because they are "boring." People want it both ways.

Roy Tucker
06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I like to watch the NBA, but when a game is a blow-out at the half, something else takes over as my primary show.

If I were Mike Johnson, I'd sit the gimpy Larry Hughes down and start Daniel Gibson. The Cavs just *have* to have some other offensive threat than LeBron. LeBron can beat some teams 1 on 5, but not the Spurs.

I still would have liked to see the Spurs-Suns series go 7. Suns could have legitimately beaten the Spurs straight up.

15fan
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

True.

I guess I'm coming from the angle that the league is so far down the path of hyping individuals (Kobe! Shaq! Iverson! King James!) that they're beyond the point of no return. Lakers! vs. Celtics! days are over.

Too bad.

So one option is to do something about the glut of the product. Ratchet back the supply a little and see what happens.

(Of course, that kills the TV revenues, etc., so add it to the list of things that will never happen.)

I think the talent divide between the west & east is about as lopsided as I can ever remember. The Lakers & Celtics/Sixers balanced each other out. The Bulls had the Lakers & some good Portland teams, with Houston in the middle.

Right now? I think at least 6 of the 2007 western playoff teams (SA, Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, Houston, and one of LA/Den/GS) beat Cleveland in a 7 game series for the title.

Oden and Durant going to the Pacific NW isn't going to help that chasm, either.

Edskin
06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
15-- I disagree.

I think the Cavs are the 4th best team in the NBA behind the Spurs, Suns, and Mavs. I think Cleveland would beat Utah and Houston in a series, and I definitely think they'd beat the rest of the west.

People are writing off the Pistons because the Cavs beat them, but that they've been a heck of a tough out over the past 5 years. I would actually still put Detroit ahead of Utah as well-- but not by much.

Yachtzee
06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I've tried to pay attention during the playoffs, but having not watched the NBA in years, I feel like the level of play is disgraceful. Lots of traveling, flopping and flagrant fouls disguised as defense, coupled with the fact that no one seems to be able to hit an open shot. I was able to take a break from studying the other night to watch some of Game 1 and thought the Masons were playing the Bricklayers. Man I miss the days of World B. Free.

CrackerJack
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I've tried to pay attention during the playoffs, but having not watched the NBA in years, I feel like the level of play is disgraceful. Lots of traveling, flopping and flagrant fouls disguised as defense, coupled with the fact that no one seems to be able to hit an open shot. I was able to take a break from studying the other night to watch some of Game 1 and thought the Masons were playing the Bricklayers. Man I miss the days of World B. Free.

Yep, all about expansion watering down the talent and drafting too many high school kids, the schedule's way too long still, and there's too many "athletes" and not enough polished, skilled basketball players these days.

Something about the NBA that I just find completely and utterly boring and mindless. I love basketball, but man the NBA is really, really bad these days.
The ratings seem to back that up.

Razor Shines
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't see how anyone can watch the Spurs play and think that they are boring. The Spurs play good basketball. They move the ball, they hit open shots and they play defense. The San Antonio Spurs are the epitome of quality team basketball.

sonny
06-13-2007, 02:30 AM
I don't see how anyone can watch the Spurs play and think that they are boring. The Spurs play good basketball. They move the ball, they hit open shots and they play defense. The San Antonio Spurs are the epitome of quality team basketball.

Thats part of the problem right there. Sadly, the McDonaldsization of our society deems good, team oriented sport as bland and unwatchable. We want flair, pizzaz and a free toy with our Happy Meals. The NBA wants this too. Moving the ball, hitting open shots and defense doesnt sell jerseys.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Well that was one of the more inept NBA Finals games I've ever seen.

Spurs tried hard to give the game to the Cavs but the Cavs evidently forgot how to shoot a basketball.

Lebron did get fouled on that last shot though. The ref just swallowed his whistle.

15fan
06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Lebron did get fouled on that last shot though. The ref just swallowed his whistle.

There was contact. Good no call, though, IMO. It's the Finals and Cleveland was playing at home. They shouldn't be relying on a whistle in the final seconds while a guy is moving away from the basket several feet behind the top of the 3 point line.

The game was decided a possesion or two earlier when Lebron dished to Carlos Valderrama. That's not the guy who puts up the shot in that situation. Ever. Lebron needs to either skip the pass & put up the shot right there, or his teammates need to know that when they get a pass late in the game from James, their sole responsibility is to get the ball back to him so that he can make a play.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
There was contact. Good no call, though, IMO. It's the Finals and Cleveland was playing at home. They shouldn't be relying on a whistle in the final seconds while a guy is moving away from the basket several feet behind the top of the 3 point line.

The game was decided a possesion or two earlier when Lebron dished to Carlos Valderrama. That's not the guy who puts up the shot in that situation. Ever. Lebron needs to either skip the pass & put up the shot right there, or his teammates need to know that when they get a pass late in the game from James, their sole responsibility is to get the ball back to him so that he can make a play.

I'm not blaming the loss on the ref. The no-call was just accumulated bad karma from Cleveland's inept play. But that was a foul and it appeared to me that Bowen was intentionally trying to foul him.

What speaks volumes is that it was Cleveland's superstar in the NBA Finals on his home court and he still doesn't get the call. Dwayne Wade got umpteen bazillion calls like that for the whole Finals last year.

And you're right about the previous play. Lebron passed to Varejao and stepped back to receive the return pass. Except Varejao panicked, lost his mind, never passed back, and *he* took the shot. It's the NBA Finals, LeBron is your man, and Varejao is taking the shot your season is depending on? Jeez.

Unassisted
06-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Game 3 must have been an ugly game for those who like scoring. I hope the NBA doesn't implement some knee-jerk rule change that handcuffs defenses if another game in this series is as low-scoring.

15fan
06-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Bump.

Tim's the man. Ring #4 on the same day that a couple of folks with whom he went to school (Mrs. fan & yours truly) celebrated a decade of wedded bliss together.

And 2007 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for Tony Parker, eh? NBA title, Finals MVP, and getting hitched with Eva Longoria.

dabvu2498
06-15-2007, 10:19 AM
What a let-down. I really enjoyed the NBA Playoffs this year... right up until the Finals.

I still think that in about 15 years we're going to think back and say "did San Antonio really win 4 (maybe more) NBA championships?" Ex: "Did the Houston Rockets really win 2 NBA championships?"

Eva Longoria doesn't do it for me, especially the pics of her without makeup. Ugh. Give me the ring anyday.

PS: Congrats on the anniversary, 15fan.

Unassisted
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
It's nice to live in a city that doesn't set fires and break windows when its team wins a championship. :cool:

For those ready to think about next year, the Spurs will have to come up with more money to keep Horry and Bowen, since their deals are partially guaranteed. Vaughn, Bonner, Ely and Udrih become FAs. Finley and Oberto have player options.

15fan
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Spurs pick #28 & #33 in the draft in a few weeks. There's a ton of talent this year - should be some decent players around when they pick, especially if they're willing to continue to be patient & pick guys they know they'll be able to develop.

Thanks, dab. My wife, however, is accepting condolences. ;)

Edskin
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Cavs were in awe during the Finals. Totally out played by a far superior team. The Spurs certainly deserve their 4th title. Duncan is an all-time great and Parker is a perfect supporting man. The rest of the roster is filled out quite nicely will quality role players. So hat's off to them.

But as a Cavs fan, I view this from the Cleveland perspective.

There is a part of me that is sad/disappointed it ended this way because the run was so fun. Also, you truly never know if you will ever get back.

However, this didn't feel the end of anything. It felt like a beginning. The Cavs probably went one step further than most expected (myself included).

The are burdened by some bad contracts (Marshall, Hughes, Jones) which will make this off-season a tad tricky. But they did start to develop Pavlovic and Gibson this year-- two guys buried on the bench for the first half of the season. And they also have Shannon Brown sort of waiting for his chance as well.

Everyone thinks the Cavs need a PG, but I think they simply need another player who is comfortable scoring besides Lebron. Maybe someone who can at least occasionally create their own offense.

Lebron didn't shoot well at all in the Finals, and he certainly needs to improve his jumper to a more consistent level, but he also created a TON of good looks for his teammates-- and they missed most of them.

The Cavs don't have the cap space to go out and buy that player. But they do have a few tradeable pieces.

Overall, I'm very happy with the season, and the Cavs should be proud to hang their first-ever EC Champion banner before the first game next year.

Now, I'd like to see the Cavs step into the mid 50's regular season win range, secure a higher seed with more ease than they did last year, and give themselves the best possible chance to repeat as EC champs. If they do that, I have a feeling they will be much better in the Finals next year.

TeamSelig
06-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you should lose all posting credibility once you've put down Eva Longoria.

dabvu2498
06-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you should lose all posting credibility once you've put down Eva Longoria.

OK... you made me do it.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2006/07/longoria_21.jpg

Razor Shines
06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
What a let-down. I really enjoyed the NBA Playoffs this year... right up until the Finals.

I still think that in about 15 years we're going to think back and say "did San Antonio really win 4 (maybe more) NBA championships?" Ex: "Did the Houston Rockets really win 2 NBA championships?"

Eva Longoria doesn't do it for me, especially the pics of her without makeup. Ugh. Give me the ring anyday.

PS: Congrats on the anniversary, 15fan.

Are you kidding? The Spurs are a dominant team. Duncan is a GREAT player. Tony Parker is the 2nd best PG in the NBA. Like Edskin said earlier Ginobili can take games over at times. Bowen is one of the best on the ball defenders the NBA has ever seen. Pop is a great coach, and they have an excellent supporting cast of guys who know their role, and are willing to accept their roles.

And the Rockets: Again they had one of the greatest post players of all time. And the supporting cast was not quite as good as the Spurs but again they had a lot of good players who knew their roles and accepted them. Robert Horry in his prime was a very good player along with Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell and Vernon Maxwell. Then in 95 add in Clyde Drexler, another great player, half way through the season and they were pretty tough to beat.

Yachtzee
06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I was watching last night with my wife. Her comment: "How much are these guys getting paid to miss baskets?" I said it before, I'm not impressed with the NBA. The ability to hit an open basket was lacking. Ginobili and Varajao flop like soccer players. Too much traveling. Not enough guys working off the ball. Tony Parker and LeBron James seemed to be the most exciting players, and always seemed to be better at just taking the ball to the hoop themselves. When they passed it, it seemed like it ended in someone laying a brick. Defense seems to be played by the playground rule "no blood, no foul." I didn't watch the whole series, so maybe I just caught it at bad times, but I think I'll stick with the college game.

Edskin
06-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Yachtzee- I hope you don't with the college game because you like jump shooting?

I watch a ton of college hoops, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a guy hit an actual jump shot. College ball is all about two things now-- larger teams pounding the glass and beating you up, and everyone launching three's.

I have season tickets to OU hoops and I'm not exxagerating when I say we'd go entire games without attempting ONE mid-range jump shot. No one knows how to shoot it anymore.

As a Cavs fan, I can admit that they did very little (nothing really) in this series to capture the casual fan. If I was "checking in" to see the NBA, I too, probably would not have been impressed. The Cavs supporting cast did a pretty nice job in the playoffs of working off of Lebron and making shots-- but they went stone cold in the Finals. A guy Illgauskas, who is normally a very good mid-range shooter, all of a sudden couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Yachtzee
06-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Yachtzee- I hope you don't with the college game because you like jump shooting?

I watch a ton of college hoops, and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a guy hit an actual jump shot. College ball is all about two things now-- larger teams pounding the glass and beating you up, and everyone launching three's.

I have season tickets to OU hoops and I'm not exxagerating when I say we'd go entire games without attempting ONE mid-range jump shot. No one knows how to shoot it anymore.

As a Cavs fan, I can admit that they did very little (nothing really) in this series to capture the casual fan. If I was "checking in" to see the NBA, I too, probably would not have been impressed. The Cavs supporting cast did a pretty nice job in the playoffs of working off of Lebron and making shots-- but they went stone cold in the Finals. A guy Illgauskas, who is normally a very good mid-range shooter, all of a sudden couldn't throw it in the ocean.

I usually stick to smaller conference college games, like the MAC, when I watch basketball. Maybe the guys don't have as much talent as the big conferences, but it just seems more fun to watch. I used to follow basketball more when Clark Kellogg played for the Buckeyes and the Cavs played at the Richfield Coliseum (about 20 minutes from my house when it still existed). Maybe my memory is faulty as time passes, but it seems like back then guys could hit shots from just about anywhere. If a guy had an open shot, it went in more often than not. Now it seems like it's the opposite. It's sad, because my favorite thing about basketball was watching guys just shoot "lights-out," with every shot ending in a swish. As kids we used to strive to hit a clean swish on every shot.

I've seen Z play. He makes me think of the guy in the VW ads. I keep waiting for him to say, "It's time to ahnpimp ze owtoh."

Unassisted
06-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I didn't watch the whole series, so maybe I just caught it at bad times, but I think I'll stick with the college game.

This series, especially games 3 and 4, wasn't a shining example of the NBA's product, at least from an offensive standpoint. Both teams missed far too many open shots.

There were stretches of excellent defense and solid defensive rebounding on both ends of the court. That's not what highlight reels are made of, though.

My favorite series in the Spurs run was Round 2 vs. Phoenix.

MasonBuzz3
06-16-2007, 12:11 AM
as the national media has lached onto, the cavs very well have been the worst team to ever be in the nba finals. outside of lebron, the cavs didnt have a legitimate guy to take a game over, at the current time. However, the Cavs have a very bright future, even with the horrible contracts of Marshall, Jones, Hughes, Snow, Newble. The King is 22, Boobie 21, Sasha 23, and Gooden 26, Andy 25, throw in this years 1st rouder Shannon Brown, 22, there is a very solid future for the team from Cleveland. I'd like to see a PG and a defensive C come in this off-season, I have heard rumblings from within about Larry Hughes being on the block, but I dont see much coming back for him. The Cavs will be a little better next year, but the real jump will come in 2008-09 when the contracts of Marshall, Jones and Snow will all be gone. Chicago will be the toughest other team in the East for the nest 5-10 years (Detroit is done) but Chi-town doesnt have a superstar player in the Choosen 1. Lebron will "rise up" and win multiple titles in Cleveland; if they can keep him here

WMR
06-16-2007, 08:15 PM
OK... you made me do it.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2006/07/longoria_21.jpg

That definitely doesn't violate the "No Hot Chick Pics on RZ" dictate!! :eek: Amazing what a couple kilos of make-up can accomplish.

LeBron has not played in his last NBA Championship series. Coming out of the East raises the percentages of multiple NBA Finals appearances significantly in LeBron's favor.

I really wish they could have gotten Michael Redd instead of Larry Hughes. Redd would be the perfect complimentary player to LeBron James. Hughes is simply not a good jump shooter. LeBron draws so much attention, players that can spread the floor and consistently drain open shots are who Danny Ferry should be targeting moving forward. That's a big reason why Daniel Gibson found such quick success (not discounting the fact that he's a very good player with great potential).

TeamSelig
06-16-2007, 08:33 PM
No one looks GREAT all the time... besides I don't see how that picture portrays her as being UGLY

WMR
06-16-2007, 09:04 PM
No one looks GREAT all the time

How many times have you said that to your girlfriend, TS? ;) :devil: :laugh:

You're still alive, so I'll guess zero. ;)

WMR
06-16-2007, 09:16 PM
No one looks GREAT all the time... besides I don't see how that picture portrays her as being UGLY

I don't think it makes her look ugly, just like a completely different person.

TeamSelig
06-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll give you that, I guess.

Just a pet peeve of mine that people put down celebs for looks simply because they are a celeb. If Eva was the girl next door, and one day came outside w/o make up, no one in this world would curl their nose.

Back to the NBA though, how would the Cavs like a Larry Hughes for Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley deal? All three have horrible contracts. Hughes seems to always be hurt and makes more than Murphy & Tinsley, however Murphy & Tinsleys deals are a year longer. They get two good offensive players for one who rarely gets to play. I think I would be willing to swap the Tin man with Mike Dunleavy.

Unassisted
06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Eva's a good egg. Eva's mother lives here in town and I know someone who knows her mother. Eva takes good care of her mother.

Headline on the front page of today's local paper: "We, Alone, Love the Spurs."
Sub-headline: "So does it really matter that not many outside South Texas care?"

Victory parade on the Riverwalk is tonight. In 2005, an estimated 500,000 were in attendance for the parade. I think I'll watch it on TV.