PDA

View Full Version : Griffey sidelined by colon problem

Number_Fourteen
04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Ken Griffey Jr. was expected back in the Cincinnati Reds' lineup Tuesday after recovering from diverticulitis.

The right fielder was out of the starting lineup for the last four games of a homestand last week. He pinch-hit in the ninth inning of a 9-3 loss to Philadelphia on Sunday.

Griffey confirmed that he was diagnosed about six months ago with diverticulitis, or inflammation of the colon.

"It's just a condition that I have," Griffey said. "I've got to watch everything that I eat. There are certain foods that I have to stay away from. It's something that a lot of people have, and it's uncomfortable."

Griffey expects to be back in the lineup for the start of a series Tuesday in St. Louis. Griffey is batting .275 with seven RBIs and no homers. He missed most of the Reds' spring training games while recovering from a broken left hand, an injury sustained in December.

Razor Shines
04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
That's the first I've heard of this.

Joseph
04-24-2007, 05:24 PM
It's been mentioned in passing for the last few days, though this is the first article I've seen that addresses it specifically.

redsfan4445
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
my sisters boyfriend had this last summer.. told me it is SO painful and he couldnt imagine trying to swing a bat the way his stomach hurt last summer.. its like a knot that causes a blockage and its so painful. he was on medication to get better.. i forgot to ask him how long it took for him to feel better, but he said he never wants to go thru that again!

sonny
04-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Sounds like a pain in the butt. :)

But seriously, With all the adversity Junior's had since coming here, I applaud him for putting his best face forward and working through these things.

Redleg39
04-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Absolutely, and it was good to see Jr. finally get his first dinger. Hopefully he recovers well, and keeps strokin it