PDA

View Full Version : Guardado Getting 'Close'

Joseph
04-25-2007, 04:27 PM
ST. LOUIS - Reds closer-in-waiting Eddie Guardado is on the road trip.

Guardado, coming off elbow ligament surgery, probably won't be ready until sometime in June, but he was happy to lend moral support.

"I was going crazy," he said. "It's good to be with the team. When you're on the DL, you feel like an outcast."
ADVERTISEMENT

Guardado continues to progress nicely.

He's scheduled to throw breaking balls on flat ground today. If that goes well, he'll throw breaking balls off the mound Thursday.

"It's getting close," he said.

Guardado typically throws 40 pitches at 75 to 80 percent in his bullpen sessions.

He didn't have his surgery until Sept. 8. But he was shut down Aug. 19.

The Reds acquired Guardado in a July 6 trade with the Seattle Mariners.

In the five weeks he was healthy, he did a good job in solidifying the bullpen. He converted eight of nine save chances and has a 1.29 ERA in 14 appearances.

If Guardado, 36, a left-hander, were able to come back and pitch like that again, it would be a huge boost to the club.

It would allow David Weathers to return to a setup role and everyone else to pitch earlier in the game.

How soon Guardado returns is uncertain.

"Everything feels good," he said. "I don't want to have no setbacks."

But a little later, Guardado admitted that he had snuck in a few breaking balls already while playing catch.

When Guardado sees Dr. Tim Kremchek, who performed the surgery, he can't resist trying to push the schedule.

"I tell him to sign the paper and I'll be out there (pitching)," Guardado said.

Are the Reds rushing this guy a little?

Matt700wlw
04-25-2007, 04:30 PM
2 months is "close?"

Just say he's still a couple months away....

Jerry Narron
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Eddie is working hard to return. He should be back by late June-July.

TRF
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
I doubt if he comes back in 2 months that he'll be anything resembling effective. Maybe in September, but i doubt it even then. 12 months is too quick.

hebroncougar
04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Guardado's overrated, and isn't going to help the pen much when he does come back. Just MO.

Joseph
04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I like his intensity, the bullpen needs some of that.

Johnny Footstool
04-25-2007, 05:40 PM
You can work hard at your rehab, but you can't force tissue to heal any faster.

Jose Rijo comes to mind. Let your arm heal, Eddie.

kbrake
04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I dont really see Eddie helping things much.

BRM
04-25-2007, 05:50 PM
You can work hard at your rehab, but you can't force tissue to heal any faster.

Jose Rijo comes to mind. Let your arm heal, Eddie.

No kidding. He won't help the team at all if he tries to come back before he's healthy.

M2
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Wasn't Paul Wilson geting "close" a year ago?

Hoosier Red
04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Though it seems counter intuitive, there is probably less caution with a pitcher like Guardado than a young pitcher.

A 23 year old pitcher needs to take their time because they still have 10+ years to pitch even after a full year off. In addition the cost of coming back too early can be disasterous.

Guardado is fighting father time as it is, and if he tries to come back too early there are really no financial complications. He's on his last contract anyway.

Degenerate39
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Wait. I thought Guardado was our 3rd baseman?

AmarilloRed
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
He was really good last year when we needed him. I want him to be healthy, not rush things too much. He could help the team this year.

RFS62
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Close to being healthy.

Not close to being a useful major league pitcher.

Team Clark
04-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Yes...closer to retirement. :laugh: