PDA

View Full Version : potential sucessors to Narron

ChicagoRed
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere and I missed it...

but in the event that the Reds don't show much improvement by mid-May, it certainly seems possible that Castellini will consider replacing Narron.

The biggest name that comes to my mind -- espeically if the Reds want someone to come in and shake things up, but also someone with some name value -- is Joe Girardi. Granted, he has only one year of experience, but he won with a small payroll, overachieved, and was regarded as a guy who will get in players faces. At the moment he's working for the Yankees TV network.

It's pretty rare to see a mid-season replacement manager get a team turned around that season for a playoff run -- in our case, Davey Johnson needed a year to get things turned around when he came on board in '93 -- but it's not unprecedented either. (Jack McKeon did it with FL in '03, and won the world series.)

Curious to hear other names that people think would get looked at...

mroby85
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
i think they're going to stick with narron, if they were going to let him go, i think they would've in the offseason so they couldve brought sweet lou in.

KronoRed
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Who's the bench coach? that's your replacement manager right there.

LincolnparkRed
04-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Who's the bench coach? that's your replacement manager right there.

Bucky Dent is your man under that premise

jimbo
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
There are a lot of candidates right here on RedsZone. :D

CincyReds2003
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
What about Billy Hatcher? He doesn't have the experience, but would certainly have the respect from the players.

bucksfan2
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
If Narron gets fired during the season Dent will be the manager and then he will be give a one year contract for the 08 season, play well for half the year and recieve a 2 year extention. Sound familiar?

RedsManRick
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I want Davey Johnson back! Though if Manny Acta takes the fall in DC, I really like everything I hear from him.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Dusty Baker is waiting in the wings just ready to destroy Homer, Bronson and Aaron's right arms. ;)

LincolnparkRed
04-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Dusty Baker is waiting in the wings just ready to destroy Homer, Bronson and Aaron's right arms. ;)

I think I might have to take a couple of years off from being a Reds fan then.:thumbdown

I had 4 years of his schtick here in Chicago, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy

Always Red
04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
When Bowden was running the club, it was always easy to tell who the next manager was going to be; it was always the last guy hired as "Special assistant to the GM" :D

AmarilloRed
04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I cant see Narron being fired until after the season. After that, anything is possible.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I think I might have to take a couple of years off from being a Reds fan then.:thumbdown

I had 4 years of his schtick here in Chicago, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Bob likes to make a splash. Hiring Big Dust would be a splash. He has a knack of turning teams around quickly. Bob's a "win now" kind of guy. The Reds aren't going to hire someone from the Billy Beane/Theo Epstein school of thinking. They would hire someone who is a traditional manager. Dusty fits that description to a T. Of course when managers are changed, the new guy is usually different from the old guy. Narron's a player's manager and so is Dusty. Of course I thought Dusty would wind up in D.C. so I could be wrong.

dsmith421
04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Is there a good reason why Cito Gaston never got another job after Toronto?

I also like Jerry Manuel.

Redsland
04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Narron isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Heck, I'd be surprised if Krivsky's seat isn't a degree or two hotter than Jerry's.

Always Red
04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Narron isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Heck, I'd be surprised if Krivsky's seat isn't a degree or two hotter than Jerry's.

I certainly think that their fortunes are tied together at this point.

redsmetz
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I have said this before, but if Joe Girardi were ever hired and he brought back the no facial hogwash, my day's at Reds games would be over.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 02:42 PM
What was the deal with Girardi and him telling an opposing pitcher something? I was going on vacation then and just heard some allusions to it but nothing since then.

hebroncougar
04-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Pinella's probably had his fill of the curse by now, he ought to be ready to move on over to us. :D

Redlegs
04-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I want Davey Johnson back!
As good a manager as Davey Johnson was/is, he must be one heck of a pain in the butt to work with. He's ran into trouble with upper management almost everywhere he's been. Besides his stint with the Mets, he's had his troubles keeping a managerial gig in the bigs.

Redlegs
04-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Jerry Narron will be the Reds skipper for a while. He's a father figure to Josh Hamilton and I look for the Reds to build their team around Josh & Brandon Phillips.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
In SI, Bobby Valentine said he'd leave Japan to come back to MLB for the right job.....also known as, the right amount of money :)

Redlegs
04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
In SI, Bobby Valentine said he'd leave Japan to come back to MLB for the right job.....also known as, the right amount of money :)
Bobby's never won squat and he's been know to be a bit of a flake. Where do you purchase fake mustache glasses in Cincy anyway? The Party Source?

KoryMac5
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I doubt the Reds will make a splash with a big name guy. I will throw out a name of a guy who I think would have some success, Jayhawk Owens. I think the Reds will definitely stay in house and it won't be until the end of the year if it happens. Dent or Owens.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Bobby's never won squat and he's been know to be a bit of a flake. Where do you purchase fake mustache glasses in Cincy anyway? The Party Source?

Went to the series with the Mets in 2000....won in Japan.

I'd be willing to take a flyer....maybe he's figured it out.

DannyB
04-27-2007, 05:07 PM

The Reds Gift shop?:D

Marc D
04-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Bob's a "win now" kind of guy.

The results on the field sure don't reflect that attitude from the top. Seems to be more of an Uncle Carl type who's ok with a mediocre team as long as attendance is good.

It should be, this team is no better now than it was when he took over.

Redlegs
04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
It should be, this team is no better now than it was when he took over.
How can you think that? The Reds were in first place heading into September last year. He had to scramble to make moves in order to make this team more competitive due to MLB sitting on their hands when the Reds were being sold. He's brought in Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, and Bronson Arroyo. I think he's done a pretty good job.

cacollinsmba
04-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Maybe Trivet Antiques. :)

Ron Madden
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd settle for Jimmy Dugan right now. ;)

keeganbrick
04-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Dont get your hopes back up again just because the team is stinking. We all knew we had to deal with more Narron for 2 more years when he got that extension last year. I would rather have Hatcher coach this team any night of the week. I would do it for like 30k a year if they let me.

Raisor
04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
I have no idea if he wants to manage again, but I'd sign Larry Dierker in a heartbeat.

WVRedsFan
04-28-2007, 01:28 AM

Neither has Narron. Seems like a good fit to me and besides, the price would be right--cheap!

WVRedsFan
04-28-2007, 01:44 AM
How can you think that? The Reds were in first place heading into September last year. He had to scramble to make moves in order to make this team more competitive due to MLB sitting on their hands when the Reds were being sold. He's brought in Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, and Bronson Arroyo. I think he's done a pretty good job.

No one disputes Kriv's early and pre-season moves, but since that time we have seen:

1. Starting pitching improve--so far
2. The Bullpen remain the same--not much difference
3. A losing record with no end to the losses in sight.
5. An offense that scored early and often turned into one who can't score.

On April 27, 2006, the Reds were 16-7, in first place. They had scored 143 runs (an average of 6.22 rpg) and gave up 127 (an average of 5.5 rpg). On April 27, 2007, the Reds are 10-13 (a difference of 6 games). They have scored 93 runs (an average of 4.04 rpg) and have given up 103 (an average of 4.48 rpg). You can see we've given up 2.18 runs per game in exchange for pitching that gives up a little over 1 run less per game.

This team is not better than the one that started 2006. In fact, it's much worse if you look at the results. And like my daddy used to tell me, you can have all the great things in the world on paper, but the results on the field are all that matter. And the results on the field say Krivsky has not done that good of a job.

membengal
04-28-2007, 01:52 AM
A potted plant.

KronoRed
04-28-2007, 01:53 AM
I have no idea if he wants to manage again, but I'd sign Larry Dierker in a heartbeat.

2nd.

WMR
04-28-2007, 03:35 AM
I vote Beetlejuice.

http://www.jrofosho.com/temp/beet1.jpg

http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2/BeetleJuice.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/894/beetlejuice1hu.jpg

hebroncougar
04-28-2007, 09:01 AM
The results on the field sure don't reflect that attitude from the top. Seems to be more of an Uncle Carl type who's ok with a mediocre team as long as attendance is good.

No, I tend to disagree on this one. Castellini sure doesn't stand pat while the team is losing. If Lindner still owned the team we would not have made the roster turnover we have made. Not saying it has helped in the short term, but still, efforts are being made.

Wheelhouse
04-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Jack McKeon has expressed interest in returning to managing.

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Joe Torre.

If the Yanks do cut him loose (which has been talked about), the Reds should without question bring him in. His wife is originally from Cincinnati and still has family here and I'm sure that would positively impact his decsision.

George Anderson
04-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Jack McKeon has expressed interest in returning to managing.

Heck, George Lee Anderson is 4 years younger and just a tad bit more successful than Jack Mac. Lets bring him back!! :)