The reds have 7 bullpen spots and right now they are filled with:
Coffey
Coutlangas
Saarloos
Salmon
Santos
Stanton
Weathers

The reds also have a group of players in the minors or the dl that more than likely will be on the verge of getting back in the bullpen at a certain time:
Bray
Burton
Majewski

And then throw in a few prospects that should break into the majors at some point:
McBeth
Medlock

Then throw in a few players like Shackelford, Kelly, and Kershner who right now might not look like they will make it in the bullpen but could turn things around.

No this isnt a great group of bullpen arms and dont strike fear in any teams but atleast the guys in the pen now understand that their job isnt secure if they arent going to produce. I figure that Stanton and Weathers are locks from opening day till september. That leaves 5 more spots. Once Bray gets healthy I see him being in there, now were down to 4. Burton more than likely will take 1 more spot unless he would fall apart and then there were 3. Saarloos is in there unless he goes to the rotation for what ever reason. Coffey more than likely will also have a spot so that means there is 1 bullpen spot for Santos, Salmon, Coutlangas, Majewski, McBeth and maybe even Medlock later on in the season. Now some of you all might not argee that Burton or Saarloos or maybe even Coffey have spots in the pen no matter what. I dont think that either but i believe they would have to completely fall apart to lose that spot. Either way its turning out that there are only 1-3 bullpen spots for atleast 6 players. Dont forget about the wild card in the whole bunch with Guardado coming back at some point towards the end of the season.

I understand that over the course of a year a lot of things will change but right now those 7 guys have to be thinking if they dont perform then they are out. 2.5 million was eaten by ownership this morning so it doensnt matter what your paid. Weathers, Stanton, and Coffey are under contract next year and I believe that will come into play but other than that everyone is fair game. the Reds might not have the best group of bullpen arms but i believe this competition will bring the best out of them. Hopefully thats enough to have an average bullpen throughout the season. I dont really know if just competition will be enough but it should be fun to watch.

Degenerate39
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Don't forget the return of Everyday Eddie, who might be Every-other-day Eddie when he comes back.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
I think Saarloos, Coutlangus, Santos are the guys on the bubble.

Not that I think they should be necessarily.

Razor Shines
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
The reds have 7 bullpen spots and right now they are filled with:
Coffey
Coutlangas
Saarloos
Salmon
Santos
Stanton
Weathers

Weathers will be the next to go, they're trying to get down to as few different letters to start a last name as possible.

Marc D
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I think Saarloos, Coutlangus, Santos are the guys on the bubble.

Not that I think they should be necessarily.

I think Sarloos is going to the #5 spot when they jettison Milton. It will have to happen sooner than later. He's going to start getting hit hard.

Dunner44
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Weathers will be the next to go, they're trying to get down to as few different letters to start a last name as possible.

If thats the case, they should have kept Cormier and DFAed David Weathers. Maybe he sticks around becuse his nickname is Stormy? ;)

Razor Shines
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
If thats the case, they should have kept Cormier and DFAed David Weathers. Maybe he sticks around becuse his nickname is Stormy? ;)

No. Cormier is french, Narron wasn't having any of that. He kept pronouncing it Corm-y-er and Rheal kept correcting him saying "no it's Corm-y-a, you know it's french."

Dracodave
04-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I happen to think that Wayne did exactly what Min did. Stockpile crap players to deal with the first month of the season while your prospects are still learning the ropes, when said prospects are ready. Trade the crap players...even a pet rock if the case be it.

Deno's trade was just captilizing on Oakland. McBeth was a hell of a player to be named. As I'm sure the next player won't nearly be as good as Mcbeth we can wish right?

I dont think Wayne predicted that big of a fall-out from the relief pitching or he would have made said moves earlier.

Our bullpen and team in general is getting younger, thats a HUGE positive. A few more players called up and this team will then grow as a unit, just like Wayne wants them to.

I wonder if we'll start seeing Conine and Hatteberg being mentioned if Votto starts to liven up with the bat any?

Dracodave
04-28-2007, 11:29 PM
No. Cormier is french, Narron wasn't having any of that. He kept pronouncing it Corm-y-er and Rheal kept correcting him saying "no it's Corm-y-a, you know it's french."

http://www.hamdendailynews.com/images/movrev8.14.06.JPG

"It is pronounced 'Corm-y-a'."-Cormier
"It is prounced I DONT CARE!"-Narron.
"Corm-y-a."-Cormier.
"Shake and Bake!!!"-Dick Pole.
"That just blew your mind, didn't it?"-Narron.

Patrick Bateman
04-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Or because he hasn't pitched that badly and is on a 2 year year contract?

HokieRed
04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Guardado, Burton, McBeth, Salmon, Weathers, Bray, Majewski. Is that the look of the bullpen by July? Who has trade value? One name stands out: Coffey.

Falls City Beer
04-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Guardado, Burton, McBeth, Salmon, Weathers, Bray, Majewski. Is that the look of the bullpen by July? Who has trade value? One name stands out: Coffey.

The odds of Guardado, Maj, and Burton playing any kind of role in this bullpen this season are close to nil. Guardado's about the only possible one.

mth123
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Sarloos is going to the #5 spot when they jettison Milton. It will have to happen sooner than later. He's going to start getting hit hard.

I think they both need to go. I'd promote Dumtrait to the rotation and Bray to Saarloos spot in the pen.

edabbs44
04-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I think McBeth is for next year.

hebroncougar
04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I have a hard time believe Shackleford will ever see time in Cincy again. Too many LH's to go around.

The_jbh
04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I believe Burton will be the PTBNL once he "returns" from a rehab stint and will continue to pitch in AA. McBeth is probably a September call up. at best, Cout, Bray and Stanton look to be the lefties past June. I think Salmon is going to excel, and I doubt Maj touches the majors this year, or ever again. I lack confidence that Guardado makes much of a difference until september when hes had a whole year to recover. I say at the Deadline our pen looks

Coffey
Coutalangus
Bray
Stanton
Weathers
Salmon
Santos

Hopefully we are in contention, a closer is available, and we snag him.

AmarilloRed
04-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I think we should wait and see how Bray and Majewski do coming back from injury. Majewski has not done well, but he was injured all last year. Bray actually pitched well last year,and he will help the bullpen when he comes back from injury.

Patrick Bateman
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I believe Burton will be the PTBNL once he "returns" from a rehab stint and will continue to pitch in AA.

Krvisky already said it wasn't Burton.